Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2013, 11:24 AM   #31
stevz
Banned

Default Re: Dowling now believes car industry more doomed if Holden stays

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Perhaps, but ford doesn't do a song and dance calling them australian cars.
Neither does Holden.
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:39 AM   #32
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz View Post
I never said he was the sole cause, but rather a major contributor.
Its the media that's been pushing this 'large sedans are dead' 'people only want to buy small cars' and 'Aussie cars are poor quality' propaganda and over time people read this multiple times and eventually become brainwashed and start to believe it. You cannot deny that the media's influence has been a major contributing factor in the change of people's buying habits.
Not only that, we have had gov and greenies for years telling us that fuel economy rating and the number of air bags are the all timportant........ big cars have been given the stigma of wasteful dinosaurs....... they didn't have a chance. .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 11:40 AM   #33
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

If Holden stays post 2016/2017 it is likely they will become more of a CKD operation. That would not help many of the local suppliers.
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2013, 08:54 PM   #34
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is part of the 24 hour news cycle, journalists are under pressure to continually report more news and write more articles. I guess its not all pleasure being offered a smorgasbord of vehicles to drive and being feted by the importers/manufacturers. One has to feel sorry for them
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 03:26 AM   #35
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't really know who this guy is, but I've seen some of you on here express "outrage" every time he says something. Seriously you are giving him and his employer the satisfaction they want when you react. Oh, you don't think they read these forums?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 04-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #36
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm surprissed that no one hasn't bumbed off Dowling yet. Then again ASIO or the CIA might do the job for us.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2013, 11:22 PM   #37
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
Perhaps, but ford doesn't do a song and dance calling them australian cars.
They do a good job of selling the "Holden is Australian" line, so much so that many people probably think they make all their cars here.

I was reading an on-line petition recently regarding saving the Australian car industry, and one of the comments at the bottom was from a lady saying how we should all try to save the industry, and that she always bought Holdens cause she lived close to the factory, and delighted in showing her visitors the factory where her Colorado was made lol.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-12-2013, 12:40 AM   #38
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They do a good job of selling the "Holden is Australian" line, so much so that many people probably think they make all their cars here.

I was reading an on-line petition recently regarding saving the Australian car industry, and one of the comments at the bottom was from a lady saying how we should all try to save the industry, and that she always bought Holdens cause she lived close to the factory, and delighted in showing her visitors the factory where her Colorado was made lol.

Holden would never have started if the government hadn't financed it at the time. And clever marketing as Australias own car.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 03:47 AM   #39
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Wow..it was less then a month ago I was called a liar and bagged for passing on the info here about the declining content of the commadore. The facts in the first two paragraphs are EXACTLY as I quoted. Shame on you (you know who you are)
This is nothing new....doweling is a ****** and must be struggling with a slow news day once again!!

Holden don't seem to want to 'finish' here either, without gov support. Maybe they want to go out the way they started
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-12-2013, 02:53 PM   #40
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man: My thumb hurts
Joshua: Hang on, i'll cut off your arm. that'll stop your thumb hurting.
Old 23-12-2013, 12:31 PM   #41
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Holden to get Corvette, Camaro, Cadillac
By Joshua Dowling Carsguide
19 December 2013EmailPrintText size
+-

GM boss Dan Akerson told reporters the Holden brand would be supplemented by iconic Chevrolets, and possibly Cadillac.
Global GM boss opens the lolly jar. Only problem is, he's made this promise before.

Holden will likely be without a V8 in its showrooms from 2018 once the Commodore becomes a front-drive four-cylinder sedan. However the global boss of General Motors, Dan Akerson, has once again cast confusion over Holden's future plans.

Related CoverageNow for Holden Commodore from ChinaHolden manufacturing history | mega galleryHolden denies Chevrolet rebranding, but...Imported Holdens won’t be cheaperHolden shutdown | what happens next
More on HOLDENSpeaking at the National Press Club in Washington this week, Mr Akerson, who retires from GM next month, told reporters the Holden brand would be supplemented by "iconic" Chevrolets such as the Camaro and Corvette sports cars, and that Cadillac may be revived.

He told a Wall Street Journal and AP reporter representing News Corp Australia: "We will import from different countries, not just South Korea.

"We may bring in iconic Chevrolets such as the Corvette and the Camaro and Cadillac someday, yes."

However, Mr Akerson made similar promises at the beginning of the year -- and was contradicted by other senior GM executives. At the Detroit motor show in January, Mr Akerson told Carsguide the new Corvette would be sold in Australia.

But less than 24 hours later the head of international operations Tim Lee said the Corvette would not be made in right-hand-drive, adding in the blunt exchange: "This is a non-story from my point of view. You can write what you want to write, I really don’t give a ****. But it is not in the mainstream plan."

Mr Lee also said at the time: “I have no idea what [General Motors CEO Dan Akerson] said but we have no plan to put a right-hand-drive under that bonnet. The Corvette is a Chevrolet, it’s not a Holden, it never will be, next question.”

A Holden spokesman this week told Carsguide he was unaware of any plans to bring the Camaro and Corvette to Australia. Carsguide understands the business case for right-hand-drive versions of those cars is yet to be approved.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2013, 12:44 PM   #42
rjk74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another quality article from Josh, could be lean times ahead after 2018 for anything performanced based from Holden.
rjk74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 04:51 AM   #43
eb2fairmont
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well given the he's in the last 6 months he won't have anything to write about now
eb2fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #44
devilcv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloamrules View Post
What is Joshua's qualifications on any subject let alone cars etc.. seen his head the other day.. say no more.
Easy, he has as much qualification to talk about future of motoring as Harold Scruby has to talk about pedestrian safety.

He is after all, the Scruby of motoring journalism
devilcv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: