Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-07-2005, 11:08 AM   #31
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
First the VR-X with 163kw, then the 180kw Ralliart...

When Mitsubishi Released the Ralliart:

Mitsubishi: 3.5L V6 180kw
Holden: 3.8L V6 Supercharged 171kw
HSV: 3.8L V6 Supercharged 180kw
Ford: 4.0L I6 VCT 172kw

Not to mention the 180kw Ralliart engine was named one of the top 10 engines of the decade.

Mitsubishi have awlays had trouble with their cars - but their V6 engines have always been quality.

Do I need to mention the V6 Magna Ralliart (V6 FWD) was faster than the AU1 XR8 (V8 RWD) when it was released? Or that the VR-X was a much better car than the AU1 XR6? Not just in speed...

Or are you going to pull more BS because you're ****ed off we're not blowing the horn of Ford at the moment?

Sorry, I know it's a ford forum and don't get me wrong - i'll always have Ford as my number 1 brand. But Mitsubishi have done some good stuff over the years (be it very infrequently) and deserve credit for when they have produced good vehicles (or good engines)... Rather than just slaming them becuase they don't have the Ford badge :sm_headba

Ok, i'll stop the rant now :the_finge
Well performing engines, maybe. But by quality, I mean longliveability and reliability. They're neither. Falcon's have proven they can last longer then any vehicle made in Australia. Performance and quality are not the same thing.
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:12 AM   #32
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can't stand the numerical names! Oooh, a new, super-edgy image - a 380!! OMGWTFBBQ! You've got a 380? What does that look like? What manufacturer is that from?

It works for BMW and Mercedes because there's not 2000 of them sold per month. The serious problem car manufacturers have got is they're trying to appeal to youth - which is ridiculous - very few people <25 buy family sedans, especially new. The place they buy them is on the second hand market.

I think this numerary naming system is just a faze in the car industry, it will go the way of bullet taillights and vinyl roofs.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #33
Hawk
I am The Brain!

First thought was that the name was very similar to BMW (318i). Second thought was that they are obviously not implementing a bigger size engine (ie. 8cyl) in the future.

Interesting name, although I have never been a big fan of "number names"

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:15 AM   #34
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wouldnt say the prevous V6's have been quality either... Valve seat recession problems are just part of it... The AU motor however doesnt seem to have any major problems..

Good Luck to mitsubishi, just a pity it still drives the front wheels and not the rears.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:23 AM   #35
SunDrifter
To shreads you say?!

I'll be interested to see the car when it comes out, but in truth, mitsubishi has lost a lot of respect/trust with the previous magna models....

But tell me, is anybody else here completely fed up with hearing Tom Phillips dribble on and on about the car being "better built, better backed then any other car built in Australia"
I've owned Holdens and Daewoos, and had plenty of problems with Holdens and none with Daewoos. Of course, the Holden is the more desirable car to own and drive, but based on my experience it is not the higher quality of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Weight means nothing to a cars handling...
:
SunDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:25 AM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDrifter
But tell me, is anybody else here completely fed up with hearing Tom Phillips dribble on and on about the car being "better built, better backed then any other car built in Australia"
Every time I see that add, I chuckle a bit. They should advertise the truth. The "Worst built, worst backed car built in Australia." :

:
Old 05-07-2005, 11:33 AM   #37
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can you say it is the worst backed car in Australia when it has the longest warranty?

Steffo, your letting your own prejudices get in the way here.

Here's a review of the VRX when it actually was probably the best local engine at the time.

http://autoweb.drive.com.au/A_0660/cms/article.html
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:35 AM   #38
Steffo
LPG > You

Mitsubishi isn't exactly a good backer. I wouldn't want a 1 day warranty from a company that's going down the toilet, let alone five years. What happens to it if/when they collapse?

The best backed cars built in Australia = Toyota Camry/Avalon. Then its Commodore & Falcon tied.

Again I'll say, performance and reliability are two different things. The VRX could definitley perform, but, the Falcon has proven to be a long-lasting, reliable engine. Regardless of performance. They to 1,000,000km as taxi's, then get sold off and bought by people as cheap transport, who drive them more after that. I've never seen a Magna, Camry, Avalon or Commodore do that. Doesn't matter how it performs, in my book, that makes the 4.0 litre the best quality engine in any Australian made car.

And yeah, the VRX was an impressive car. Still is.

:

Last edited by Steffo; 05-07-2005 at 11:45 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:41 AM   #39
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsubishi 380, brought to you by the same company that brought you the ZERO.!!!
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:45 AM   #40
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Mitsubishi isn't exactly a good backer. I wouldn't want a 1 day warranty from a company that's going down the toilet, let alone five years.
How's it going down the toilet? MMAL might not have been performing previously as well as was hoped, but I dont see any indication to suggest that MMAL would pull out of Australian operations all together, even if Australian production ceases - they would most likely pull a Nissan if this new car doesnt save them. So far, on paper though, things are looking quite promissing for this new car.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:46 AM   #41
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford will need a killer GTHO to beat this new 380kw monster from mitsubishi :
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 11:50 AM   #42
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well performing engines, maybe. But by quality, I mean longliveability and reliability. They're neither. Falcon's have proven they can last longer then any vehicle made in Australia. Performance and quality are not the same thing.
You rekon a magna engine won't last as long? and the quality of the car isn't as good?? hehe... ok, if you say so...

I have a mate who has a 1988 Magna - NEVER had a problem. it's on over 500,000km's and never needed any engine work or had any transmission problems etc. (one oil hose did get a leak a few months ago - first problem) :p Parent's 1996 Magna - same thing, my old 1991 magna - same thing... never had 1 issue. Father in law has a second car which is a magna - 1992 model - gives him far less hassles than his old AU falcon or his current BA XR ... that's why he said he bought it as a second car - they don't F**k up...

Mitsubishi = reliability... if there's one thing they are - it's reliabale.. Not just the engine either - the entire car's mechanics... I know when I have to get a second car - it'll be a Magna (or 380 or whatever) - they are really low maitenance and low worries... and they last...

Falcon makes damn good reliable engines to... but you can't ever doubt the reliability and quality of a Magna...

[EDITED] - got a bit emotional :p my appologies.

Last edited by Deadman; 05-07-2005 at 12:02 PM.
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:01 PM   #43
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Mitsubishi isn't exactly a good backer. I wouldn't want a 1 day warranty from a company that's going down the toilet, let alone five years. What happens to it if/when they collapse?

The best backed cars built in Australia = Toyota Camry/Avalon. Then its Commodore & Falcon tied.

Again I'll say, performance and reliability are two different things. The VRX could definitley perform, but, the Falcon has proven to be a long-lasting, reliable engine. Regardless of performance. They to 1,000,000km as taxi's, then get sold off and bought by people as cheap transport, who drive them more after that. I've never seen a Magna, Camry, Avalon or Commodore do that. Doesn't matter how it performs, in my book, that makes the 4.0 litre the best quality engine in any Australian made car.

And yeah, the VRX was an impressive car. Still is.
I'm no Mitsi fan, but you've got to keep things in perspective.
There are also Magna Taxi's, not very many but that is becuase we are Holden/Ford country.
When Ford released the AU and everyone bagged it with there mouths & wallets, there were rumours of Ford production stopping & importing cars for local sale. This was extreme talk, but for it to happen there must have been some American Ford bosses mentioning it.

If MMAL stopped, Mitsi Japan would take over & import vehicles, same as Nissan did in the 90's, all warrantees would be covered.
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:04 PM   #44
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_Falcon_XR6
That's got to be the funniest i've ever seen you say...

You rekon a magna engine won't last as long? and the quality of the car isn't as good?? hehe... ok, if you say so...

I have a mate who has a 1988 Magna - NEVER had a problem. Parent's 1996 Magna - same thing, my old 1991 magna - same thing... never had 1 issue. Father in law has a second car which is a magna - 1992 model - gives him far less hassles than his old AU falcon or his current BA XR ... that's why he said he bought it as a second car - they don't F**k up...

Mitsubishi = reliability... if there's one thing they are - it's reliabale.. Not just the engine either - the entire car's mechanics... I know when I have to get a second car - it'll be a Magna (or 380 or whatever) - they are really low maitenance and low worries... and they last...
If they lived as long as Falcons, they'd be used as cabs. They're cheaper cars to buy to start off with - Falcon MkII XT 4.0 Auto = $35,555
Magna ES Limited Edition, 3.5 V6, 4spd Auto = $29,990

Falcon wouldn't be so widely used in an industry that requires cars to be able to withstand abuse, and being on the road 24 hours a day seven days a week, without good reason. I challenge you to do the same in a Magna. I challenge you to find me one, with over 1 million on the clock, still being driven daily. I can find you Falcons like that. I challenge you to find me one with 1 million km on it, that still drives like a brand new car. I can find you Falcons like that too.

My dad's gf, her mum has a 1994 Magna V6. It doesn't feel or look 11 years old. It feels, and looks, 25 years old. It feels cheap, looks cheap, the doors feel hollow, its all worn and crap looking. And she takes care of it, and drives it only a few km a day.

I've got a mate who has a 2001 Magna 3.5 V6, its something like 40,000km old, total pile of poo, you'd think it was a 20 year old car when you sat in it. The cloth on the seats is all poor, it rattles and shakes when you start it, the panels are in poor shape, and you get the feeling it's going to fall to pieces if you go over a speed bump in it.

Like I said, find me one, with 1,000,000km on it, driving as if its a new car. Then I'll agree that they're reliable. Until then, Falcon > Magna. And everything else made in this country, for that matter. Maybe not performance wise, but longliveability.. its got everything else domestic beaten, hands down.

:
Old 05-07-2005, 12:07 PM   #45
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
I'm no Mitsi fan, but you've got to keep things in perspective.
There are also Magna Taxi's, not very many but that is becuase we are Holden/Ford country.
Holden/Ford country has nothing to do with it. A taxi operator is running a business. They will go for the most cost effective, cheapest, but most efficient choice they have for a vehicle, within their limitations (by law - Australian made). Falcon gets the gong every time. Camry and Magna for example, are both cheaper to buy, but they don't make the cut. Falcon is the most expensive local at the moment (as far as I know) - but in the long run it turns out to be the cheapest option, considering what you'll have to do to keep the others running as long.

Like I said before, the VRX was definitley a great performance car, but it doesn't come close to Falcon for longliveability. Nothing made here does.

:
Old 05-07-2005, 12:11 PM   #46
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OMG... :togo:
Old 05-07-2005, 12:12 PM   #47
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
<Snip>
Not to mention the 180kw Ralliart engine was named one of the top 10 engines of the decade.

Mitsubishi have awlays had trouble with their cars - but their V6 engines have always been quality.

Do I need to mention the V6 Magna Ralliart (V6 FWD) was faster than the AU1 XR8 (V8 RWD) when it was released? Or that the VR-X was a much better car than the AU1 XR6? Not just in speed...
Ok, i'll stop the rant now :the_finge
I beg to differ. My Brother In Law had a Rallyart, and I drove it once or twice, and walked away underwhelmed. My AU111 XR6 VCT went harder, had more go, and when I dragged him from the lights was WAY faster, not to mention handling and weight. I like the RWD feel, and 180KW from the front wheels, Please. It was easy to get it to wheel spin on a dry road. I preferd my XR6.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:24 PM   #48
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll challenge anyone to actually bother to be a car enthusiast and own any ONE falcon to do 1,000,000. Unless your running a courier car or a taxi then its a pointless argument. Up until 350,000 to 400,000kms all of the aussie big car engines are pretty much the same. Dare I say, I would suspect that the majority of falcon engines to go past 650,000 (and Im not saying they won't), have, at one time or another had significant engine work.
Old 05-07-2005, 12:25 PM   #49
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxtonandrew
I beg to differ. My Brother In Law had a Rallyart, and I drove it once or twice, and walked away underwhelmed. My AU111 XR6 VCT went harder, had more go, and when I dragged him from the lights was WAY faster, not to mention handling and weight. I like the RWD feel, and 180KW from the front wheels, Please. It was easy to get it to wheel spin on a dry road. I preferd my XR6.
He was obviously a bad launcher or had a dud.. There's no way a VCT would outrun a Ralliart Magna, sorry to dissapoint ya... Not saying the VCT wasn't a great car... but it wasn't faster...
Old 05-07-2005, 02:16 PM   #50
johnydep
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
I challenge you to find me one, with over 1 million on the clock, still being driven daily. I can find you Falcons like that. I challenge you to find me one with 1 million km on it, that still drives like a brand new car. I can find you Falcons like that too.
Very interesting. Is this a car that has only been serviced & had no parts changed, or one that has had major components replaced?

When will you start this challenge?

And how will you prove it?

I know your passionate about Ford's, but lets keep this thread rational
and maybe on topic :1syellow1
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 02:26 PM   #51
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I thought the new car was gonna be rated at 190kw? OR did i dream that? I've been dreaming about mitsubishis?!?!

In all seriousness, i hope the car 'fires' for them. Itd be a real shame to see the company and its manufacturing facilities leave adelaide. That's a lot of people outta the job (more so than have already lost their job at the lonsdale plant)...
Old 05-07-2005, 02:35 PM   #52
PULLY6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Falcon > Magna... its got everything else domestic beaten, hands down.
Hear hear!
Old 05-07-2005, 03:09 PM   #53
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.9 EF Futura
I thought the new car was gonna be rated at 190kw? OR did i dream that? I've been dreaming about mitsubishis?!?!
Yeah, well its going to be their most powerful mitsubishi ever and the ralliart was 180kw.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:15 PM   #54
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wasnt the Ralliart Magna AWD not FWD. It would sort of be stupid in the first place to associate the Ralliart name with anything other than AWD.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 03:18 PM   #55
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ralliart Magna was FWD... the VRX was FWD or AWD
Old 05-07-2005, 03:39 PM   #56
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perana XR8
Ralliart Magna was FWD... the VRX was FWD or AWD
Well thats one mistake they made. When i think Ralliart i associate it with Evos which are AWD. Im sure its the case for most people aswell. They could have capitalized on that more if they had fitted AWD.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 04:01 PM   #57
Paxton
Cobblers!

I read on Fordmods.com that the 'new Magna' will be AWD across the range. The bloke who said it is a Mitsu employee, so I am tempted to believe this.

Quote:
ok with the 380 (magna) it IS the american galant (which is why MEDIA speculated it would be called that!) but it has been re-engineered by Australians. The body has had its rigidity doubled, engine size increased and suspension/handling drasticly improved just for starters.... why do i know and care? i work in the factory and they pay me!
and
Quote:
They are getting there, all models will be all wheel drive
Taken from Here

If true, the Magna may be a good buy, I will certainly look at it.

-Andrew
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 04:37 PM   #58
flavze

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnydep
Very interesting. Is this a car that has only been serviced & had no parts changed, or one that has had major components replaced?

When will you start this challenge?

And how will you prove it?

I know your passionate about Ford's, but lets keep this thread rational
and maybe on topic :1syellow1
Steffo rational! that would be a first!

What a crock of s#%t that there's any falcon's around that have done 1,000,000 kms and look and drive like new that haven't been totally rebuilt!
Steffo you are a fool!
flavze is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 05:50 PM   #59
rick69
Banned

Steffo you really are a tripper...

Any car will rack up high kilometres when used as a taxi... Are you stupid or something??? As taxi engines are constantly running, they are always at a constant temperature, which means less expanding / contracting of components which ultimately equals longer engine life.
Besides, 1 million + kms with an untouched engine is absolute BS, most taxis are on their second engine and third transmission by about 800,000, and I don't care what your old man, uncle, cousin, brother or mate of a mate has to say.
I challenge you to find a falcon which will reach 500,000km under normal non taxi use over a period of say, 10 years.
I have spoken to many taxi drivers, who have told me that falcons are preffered not due to reliability, but due to the fact that their poor resale makes them cheaper to buy on the second hand market (where many taxis are bought), the fact that they are superior to run on LPG, and the cheaper parts and servicing.

Stop feeding us your crap.
rick69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #60
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick69
Stop feeding us your crap.
Dude - that was an impressive post! :

But on a serious note - you made really good points about the life of taxi's... I was going to mention that earlier - but don't know much about them so thought i'd save myself the chance of being flamed...

Getting back on topic - I think the fact that the new Mitsubishi car has stirred this much debate is a good thing - I really hope this car thrives on gossip, a challenge to compete with ford and holden, and actually does sell...

Mitsubishi is great for the Australia economy, esspecially with export oportunities and also the amount of jobs etc that benefit from keeping it here (rather than going back to import only status)...

It would be disappointing to see any of the major Australian car manufactures leave the country... Esspecially when I think Mitsubishi really do try and have a decent go at producing good vehicles... Anyhoo.. I think my 2c is up...

Last edited by Deadman; 05-07-2005 at 06:03 PM.