Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #31
T1 Terry

Looks like there will be some real hi tech gear in those units, I can see the whole thing getting stolen unless it has a couple of coppers in it to protect it Locally they have had to install cameras to watch the speed cameras as they were being stolen fast than they could install them.

T1 Terry
T1 Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 05:17 PM   #32
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"The mobile speed cameras will only be placed in locations with a high accident history as determined by the RTA in consultation with NSW Police," Dr Soames Job, director of the RTA's Centre for Road Safety, said.
Yeah, right :rolleyes: anywhere they are most profitable more likely. bottoms of hills, over taking lanes and open freeways is where they'll park.
Old 12-07-2010, 05:20 PM   #33
9lives

who wants to group buy a "dodgey person" to go and fire bomb them..... twenty from each person should get it done????LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #34
FPVF6X201
Formerly FPVwannabe

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Slotted front rotors for the TTG write-up and pics. 

As far as these camera's being revenue raisers ............. you want proof?

Sunday Telegraph in Sydney stated that the Macquarie Bank want to buy out the private company that operates them (yes its privatley run, not government!!). Can anyone remember the last time MacBank bought anything that didnt make them millions? No you can't, 'cause it has never happened. MacBank also own several toll roads, airports, airport parking stations etc. ALL making a fortune.

I hope it does save lives, but not while making the MacBank shareholders richer.

Borla ATAK axle back exhaust.
Hawk ceramic brake pads.
CLStech Ribbon DRL mod.
X Lume illuminated grille badge.
Injen CAI.
FPVF6X201 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 05:41 PM   #35
oranpark addict

This state election who will you be voting for? Problem is the damage has been done over years and years and will take sooooo long to recover. I pity whoever wins the next election here. There is a simple expression that describes anything to do with roads- Dollars>Safety
oranpark addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #36
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote V8

"The mobile speed cameras will only be placed in locations with a high accident history as determined by the RTA in consultation with NSW Police," Dr Soames Job, director of the RTA's Centre for Road Safety, said.
Yeah right - we'll see about that...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 07:31 PM   #37
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

I've got a really novel idea...don't speed and you have nothing to worry about...it's really that simple.

Revenue raisers raise revenue because people break the law, if you don't break the law, there is no issue. I've noticed over the recent months that quite a lot of people rant and rave about these types of 'revenue raising activities'.

Common sense really does need to come into play at some point in our lives...doesn't it...?

Many have made the assertion that speed doesn't kill, it certainly doesn't help the situation either...

They aren't made visible because that would defeat the purpose of a/ revenue raising and b/ allowing a speeder to get away scott free.

These threads are getting more ridiculous, blaming politicians; liberal, labour - it really doesn't matter who is in charge - this will continue. If we're lucky, the money will be put back into road safety or the actual physical state of the roads...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:40 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
I've got a really novel idea...don't speed and you have nothing to worry about...it's really that simple.

Revenue raisers raise revenue because people break the law, if you don't break the law, there is no issue. I've noticed over the recent months that quite a lot of people rant and rave about these types of 'revenue raising activities'.

Common sense really does need to come into play at some point in our lives...doesn't it...?

Many have made the assertion that speed doesn't kill, it certainly doesn't help the situation either...

They aren't made visible because that would defeat the purpose of a/ revenue raising and b/ allowing a speeder to get away scott free.

These threads are getting more ridiculous, blaming politicians; liberal, labour - it really doesn't matter who is in charge - this will continue. If we're lucky, the money will be put back into road safety or the actual physical state of the roads...
3km/h over the speed limit is very hard to see on my speedo:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8453/imag0014z.jpg

Also, leet odometer .
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #39
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:

My car will pass a full ADR test even if it shows 100km/h on the speedo but actual speed is 109km/h.

How does a mobile speed camera that doesnt give an indication of an infringement stop me from speeding on that day? If I continue to drive at 130km/h after passing a speed camera that I didnt see and crash into a car and kill a family, what does a speeding fine 3 weeks later do?
Old 12-07-2010, 09:03 PM   #40
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
NEWSFLASH

"NSW Government; We've got what it takes to take what you've got"."NSW - BRING YOUR WALLETS $$$$$$".
Not condoning hacking of websites or any other illegal activity, but wouldn't it be funniest thing to see the NSW state government's website with this on the front page.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #41
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
My car will pass a full ADR test even if it shows 100km/h on the speedo but actual speed is 109km/h.

How does a mobile speed camera that doesnt give an indication of an infringement stop me from speeding on that day? If I continue to drive at 130km/h after passing a speed camera that I didnt see and crash into a car and kill a family, what does a speeding fine 3 weeks later do?
If you know that your speed is actually 109km/h - COMPENSATE...

I guess the real question is why are you doing 130km/h in the first place...?

I fail to see where my logic fails - if you're doing the right thing - you won't be doing 130km/h...

Chances are - if you see the speed camera, you slow down and then speed right back up again.

People are just getting crabby because they'll have to be more cautious about their speeding in NSW now.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 12-07-2010, 09:20 PM   #42
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Wink Outside the square

Anybody here knows about radar detectors or which frequency these new units will be on??

Other than being illegal in NSW

Cheers,
George
George V is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 09:23 PM   #43
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
3km/h over the speed limit is very hard to see on my speedo:

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8453/imag0014z.jpg

Also, leet odometer .

Gee Damo...in your photo...see that thing on the right...? It goes from zero to 220, about halfway up it says 100...that's the spot right underneath it...make sure you're there and...surprise surprise...no problems... :P

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM   #44
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

i seen a bf ute in Brandon south of Townsville on friday with a canopy and a radar inside.funny thing was there was no markings on the car or signage
Old 12-07-2010, 10:29 PM   #45
GTP 290

Ummm, this may sound a bit stupid but are you all complaining about mobile speed cameras??

Queensland have had them for many years.

Stop ya bloody crying ya bunch of girls.

Pic taken yesterday 11/7/2010 @ 1:45pm

GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #46
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 290
Ummm, this may sound a bit stupid but are you all complaining about mobile speed cameras??

These particular mobile speed cameras are unmarked and no flash goes off...no biggie unless you're speeding...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 12-07-2010, 10:36 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Gee Damo...in your photo...see that thing on the right...? It goes from zero to 220, about halfway up it says 100...that's the spot right underneath it...make sure you're there and...surprise surprise...no problems... :P
Shh :P
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:39 PM   #48
GTP 290

Quote:
These particular mobile speed cameras are unmarked and no flash goes off...no biggie unless you're speeding...
Apart from the big "QLD POLICE" emblem on the drivers door and the flash mounted on the bumper/bullbar
GTP 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2010, 10:44 PM   #49
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Apart from the big "QLD POLICE" emblem on the drivers door and the flash mounted on the bumper/bullbar
nah, these one's are going into NSW...unmarked - one's up here stand out like dogs you know what on a canary, if you get booked in Qld...there's really no excuse...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 12-07-2010, 10:55 PM   #50
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

the one i seen south of townsville was unmarked with no signs,all it had was a camera set up inside the canopy.doesnt really worry me lol, but where it was id say quite a few people would have got a pic taken.
Old 13-07-2010, 12:34 AM   #51
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
If you know that your speed is actually 109km/h - COMPENSATE...

I guess the real question is why are you doing 130km/h in the first place...?

I fail to see where my logic fails - if you're doing the right thing - you won't be doing 130km/h...

Chances are - if you see the speed camera, you slow down and then speed right back up again.

People are just getting crabby because they'll have to be more cautious about their speeding in NSW now.
Basically my car couldve driven off the lot at Ford with a speedo reading the way I said above, that's why we have tolerances. The ADR at the time allowed for a speedo accuracy of plus or minus 10%.

Your logic fails because even though you 'think' you're doing the correct speed, your speedo could be out by up to 10km/h at 100km/h and that is within manufactured tolerances. (This applies to older cars, new cars the speedo must not read low, and it can be within 10% high. I cant remember the year this changed though)

The issue is not about doing 130km/h, its the claim that speed cameras save lives. In my example above, how has the speed camera done anything to help the situation? If it was a real police officer instead, then there would have been some sort of intervention.

Have you seen the number of fines being handed out in Victoria? The majority of which are in the "exceeded by less than 10 km/h" bracket.

How's this years road toll going?
Old 13-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #52
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Basically my car couldve driven off the lot at Ford with a speedo reading the way I said above, that's why we have tolerances. The ADR at the time allowed for a speedo accuracy of plus or minus 10%.

Your logic fails because even though you 'think' you're doing the correct speed, your speedo could be out by up to 10km/h at 100km/h and that is within manufactured tolerances. (This applies to older cars, new cars the speedo must not read low, and it can be within 10% high. I cant remember the year this changed though)

The issue is not about doing 130km/h, its the claim that speed cameras save lives. In my example above, how has the speed camera done anything to help the situation? If it was a real police officer instead, then there would have been some sort of intervention.

Have you seen the number of fines being handed out in Victoria? The majority of which are in the "exceeded by less than 10 km/h" bracket.

How's this years road toll going?
Regardless of the ADR...if your speedo is out, and you get caught speeding, that's your fault...nobody else's. And that kind of excuse generally doesn't wash with the powers that be...as true as it may be.

I actually lived in Victoria for 20 odd years, so yeah, I've seen how many fines they hand out...I've also seen the 'nice roads' you guys get to drive on in metro Melbourne, and I'm lead to believe that this is mostly in part because of the 'lead foot parade' that don't seem to learn the first time.

You can make hypothetical situations about 'what if?' but at the end of the day, this isn't happening in Victoria - it's a NSW initiative at present and if it does anything to curb the driving behaviour of those who believe it's their right, and not their privilege to drive a vehicle - then good.

As for the road toll this year...I have no idea - all I know is it's about 100% more than it should be.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 13-07-2010, 01:17 AM   #53
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Quote:

Lease you get an obvious car parked on the edge of the road, in WA we get a black cube the size of a bar fridge stuck behind power poles with the van sometimes 10m away behind a tree.
Old 13-07-2010, 01:59 AM   #54
Bobman
Regulator

Victoria gets no signs, no stickers and recently no flash unit on the nature strip.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2010, 09:31 AM   #55
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Regardless of the ADR...if your speedo is out, and you get caught speeding, that's your fault...nobody else's. And that kind of excuse generally doesn't wash with the powers that be...as true as it may be.
It actually did have something to do with it. Remember speed limit tolerances once were also 10%.

Quote:
I actually lived in Victoria for 20 odd years, so yeah, I've seen how many fines they hand out...I've also seen the 'nice roads' you guys get to drive on in metro Melbourne, and I'm lead to believe that this is mostly in part because of the 'lead foot parade' that don't seem to learn the first time.
I wish the roads were paid by speeding fines, we wouldnt be paying tolls.

Quote:
You can make hypothetical situations about 'what if?' but at the end of the day, this isn't happening in Victoria - it's a NSW initiative at present and if it does anything to curb the driving behaviour of those who believe it's their right, and not their privilege to drive a vehicle - then good.
If you think this is going to actually do something to stop people speeding, you're being misled.
Fine, it's not happening in Vic, but it was and nobody did anything about it, and now you're getting it too.

Quote:
As for the road toll this year...I have no idea - all I know is it's about 100% more than it should be.
Current 171, this time last year 162
I guess all those extra speed cameras they have installed in Vic are doing a great job.
Old 13-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #56
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
It actually did have something to do with it. Remember speed limit tolerances once were also 10%.
You've actually help make my point - get your car checked. You're a road user, bound by the same rules as everyone else - take some initiative, it's really not that hard. As a driver, that's your responsibility, not anyone elses (manufacturer or otherwise).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
I wish the roads were paid by speeding fines, we wouldnt be paying tolls.
Tolls alone cannot support a state - and you'll find those tolls go to pay for the improvements (tunnels, etc.) which are usually funded by private companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
If you think this is going to actually do something to stop people speeding, you're being misled.
Fine, it's not happening in Vic, but it was and nobody did anything about it, and now you're getting it too.
I'm not saying it will stop someone from speeding. What I'm saying is why should people be warned in advance, that there is a camera ahead. Allowing them to slow down to a legal speed and then go on to get away with it. A surprise letter in the mail might prevent the average, so called 'responsible person' from speeding in future. Get enough of those and you walk - perhaps then someone will heed the warning. I live in Qld, and to be brutally honest, couldn't give a brass razoo if it happened up here, I'd welcome it, because as a responsible driver...I don't have to worry about speeding fines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD
Current 171, this time last year 162
I guess all those extra speed cameras they have installed in Vic are doing a great job.

Point is, 46% of road deaths in Vic in 2009 were caused as a direct result of speeding - so if those 171 are all speeding related, then it hasn't solved the issue, but if there are less speeding related deaths than there were in 2009 - this is seen to be fixing the issue, and the government can feel warm and fuzzy. That's the decision - don't like it, lobby it.

I guess at the end of the day, you have the power to drive responsibly, or not. And if you choose not to, why shouldn't you be fined? People often forget that driving is a privilege, if people could remember that, drive that way, and educate their children in that fashion, perhaps there would be some better drivers on the road.

It's been said so many times before - you choose to drive the vehicle - you accept the consequences of your actions. We're all adults, it's about time people stopped holding our hands and letting us get away with things because we're too stupid to actually think consciously about the decisions we make, spur of the moment or not.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 13-07-2010, 10:29 AM   #57
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:

Actually Sezzy, it's not our fault.
ADR's are applicable to all vehicles being able to be sold and registered in Australia, and ADR's state that tolerances of up to 10% still allow the measuring equipment to comply.
Let's say I'm on cruise control doing 99kmh in a 100kmh zone, and I go past one of these vans. Click click, I'm busted for doing 109kmh in a 100K zone. Now, the RTA says I was over the 104kmh which is the tolerance, but my car is brand new how can this happen? Enter the world of variances, tolerances and double standards.
How can I be penalised when the governing body allows up to 10% but the state governments contradict by allowing only up to 4%?
Further, if the government wants to enforce a standard, shouldn't it be the same as that of the design criteria? If not, shouldn't the state enforcing the standard then be responsible for the additional accuracy and calibration of the measuring equipment in excess to the standard and each individual vehicle? Why doesn't the government enforce this when annual registration occurs, sort of like how commercial scales are often tested for accuracy and need to comply in order to be used?

No one wants to answer these questions and I'll tell you why; it is in fact unconscionable conduct on behalf of the enforcing body ie the state government to apply a double standard without meeting the cost of additional compliance to the ADR's. You cannot penalise someone for complying with the law and or the standard of the day.
What it comes down to is simply revenue raising. It's a hit and miss strategy; hit 100 people up for money and maybe 10 will give it to you. They do it all the time. Councils, state, feds; all the same. When I used to work in the city I don't know how many times I got booked whilst parked on the street legally only to challenge it and be let off. I wonder how many people didn't bother to challenge though and how much extra revenue they got for illegally issuing fines.

Finally, as has been mentioned earlier, this is a private company that is employed by the government. As recently as yesterday, there has been nothing but silence from the minister on the issue of quotas, revenue targets and KPI's for contract renewal. Over 100 million in additional fines has already been accounted for in this years budget, obviously these devices will simply be moved until they are profitable ie bottom of hills, overtaking lanes etc.
Simply put, anyone who thinks that drivers watching their speedos and not the road is a good thing, whilst simultaneously dealing with the up to 15 different speed zones in a 3 kilometre stretch; is an idiot.

Quote: