Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-01-2012, 05:40 PM   #31
martinijosh
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅ ▅

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent guide for headlamp repair. 
Default Re: What defines MUSCLE in muscle car ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240
Corvette is a sports car..
68 70 Camaro and 65 to 72 Mustang..
Yes GTOs and Dodge Chargers..
With factory spec performance engine..
68 70 Camaro and 65 to 72 Mustang - pony cars (cheap "sporty" car)
GTO - Gran Turismo Omologato (I personally think the pontiac gto is really a GTB car... but anyway)

Just picked this one up-
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

An easy and fairly accurate way to explain it without fuss...
Headlights don't work in your B Series? Here's how to fix it!
martinijosh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 05:58 PM   #32
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
Just one word.

Corvette.
Sports car actually...

"Muscle car" doesn't need to exsist in a time-bubble, that is only to refer to cars of the mid sixites to early 70's with big engines, small brakes, lots of power but little cornering finess.

I believe the term is ment to actually describe larger american performance cars (GTO Torino, Charger etc), while "Pony cars" are the mid size (Mustang, camero etc). But, as time goes on, most people refer to mustangs as muscle cars.

Come to present day, does "modern" technology make muscle obsolete?

So, take a XR6T...muscle?

Yes.

Its a large RWD sedan with bucket loads of power, much like a GTHO (oh no i didn't! ) in essance.

Remember that OHC's, turbos etc are as old as muscle cars them selves, and if ford had its way SOHC motors would have made its way into Torinos, and only chrome bumpers? Ford fairlane Thunderblot had fiberglass bumpers...

In realliy there is "classic muscle" and "modern muscle"...

Might be hard to chew, but its the truth.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #33
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinijosh
68 70 Camaro and 65 to 72 Mustang - pony cars (cheap "sporty" car)
GTO - Gran Turismo Omologato (I personally think the pontiac gto is really a GTB car... but anyway)

Just picked this one up-
The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."

Would have to agree with this rather than specific models, although 2 doors only is a bit USA specific. Oh and the made in USA part.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 06:01 PM   #34
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon a basic RWD car, with a big V8 which produces tyre shredding power.
I also automatically associate Superchargers with muscles cars. Not so much Turbos.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 06:36 PM   #35
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

muscle car- Old School 50's-70's, powerful engine be it 6 or 8, under braked, manual steer.

Performance car- forced induction/large capacity n/a, handling upgrades, brake upgrades, body kits big wheels/tyres.

Obviously there are exceptions to the rules, but this basically seperates true muscle from modern performance.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 06:41 PM   #36
Angeldust

what about from a drivers prospective?

my vy drives like my torana, (without the friggin rattles though, yet)

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #37
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

A couple of US Journos came up with the name “Muscle Car Era”. Truth is it only lasted a few years...... from '66 to '71.
It most likely started when Ford, Dearborn, tossed a couple of new Hemi-heads on the FE Side Oiler block & went racing.. Boy, they went racing! They needed to sell some units to the punters to get through the rules so it was sold as a Crate Motor in dealerships from 1966.
You could drive your Tank Fairlane in on Saturday morning, part with $US2200.00 and take it home swap the motor in an afternoon and pop up on Saturday night on your local cruise with a 427SOHC, running the then all new 1150cfm Holley Dominator 4 barrel. It even came with cast iron headers.

At the same time Ford were flogging off the Windsor with basically twin cam Clevo heads. They were already flogging the 302 Windsor with basically Cleveland Heads. That was the start and as I said Ford went racing...... the SOHC lasted two years and won everything at the drags and on the track over there, so it was factored out of contention, (I mean you can’t have one manufacturer winning everything, can you).
By 67 - 68 they were all into it, Dodge with the big block Hemis & semi hemis, Chev were even shoving truck engines into everything… and so on. It was the last great horse power war…… it all came to an end when the first oil shock hit in late ’71.
If you look at the dates above you can see how it all came over here on the back of the local Falcon GT, and so we here, in Australia had our own little horsepower war.
Was it all just jingoistic nonsense? No, it was salesmanship egged on by the manufacturers no doubt. I remember reading Wheels, Modern Motor and almost wanting to sell my horse……

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #38
mash again
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Attachment 71554

does this count, power assisted drums, one reasonable stop from speed if ya lucky. 350ci massive chrome bumper, poorer cousin to the GTO (the original muscle car was the GTO)

Last edited by mash again; 23-06-2012 at 06:38 PM.
mash again is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #39
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:

Just picked this one up-

Yep it does doesn't it

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #40
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Over powered, under braked, chrome bumper, carbureted, heavy, loud and requires some muscle to drive them. There is NOTHING after the 70's that came into this category ........ no matter how hard they tried .... and that discounts everything from VY's to FG GT's. A 'modern' car that is overpowered and under braked is just badly engineered. Back then that was the way it was.
agree, but with the addition of - it needs to have at least 350ci and has to be able to tow a fully loaded inboard v8 ski boat
in my opinion, muscle isn't just speed - it means having the muscle/tourque to effortlessly move any realistic load

a torana, bolwell or 6 cyl valiants are not muscle to me
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #41
RAREV8
Previously ScottishXC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Over powered, under braked, chrome bumper, carbureted, heavy, loud and requires some muscle to drive them. There is NOTHING after the 70's that came into this category ........ no matter how hard they tried .... and that discounts everything from VY's to FG GT's. A 'modern' car that is overpowered and under braked is just badly engineered. Back then that was the way it was.

Agreed ^^^^ with the small caveat that a muscle car is a 2 door coupe.....good in a straight line not necessarily so good in corners- 4 door cars with V8's are cool but by definition not muscle cars

BJ
Gilesie
XAGTCoupe
Pilch
Aussie_afroman
Donut King
Bad Boy Benny
BAWITHLOT
Greenmachine
Pinkbits
CUZ351
OhioXB
Falconunbelievable
4VXC
Uncleraggy

FG G6 Ego, tech pack, Tropic gold 1973 Landau, Cosmic blue 1975 P5 LTD....long term project
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Im just bored of the single/narrow minded...
RAREV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2012, 11:07 PM   #42
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The muscle car term was actually born from GM dealers doing creative ordering of near stock sedans and hardtops
but through a sleight of hand in the ordering system were able to be supplied with much larger big block engines.
As the process refined, people wanted Big blocks and Hi Po engines in their favorite US sports cars and so it began...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #43
Rodge
Banned

I heard a GTHO in full cry the other day and it was truly majic. They're not fast by modern V8 standards but OMG the sound is to die for. Nowdays we have the PC brigade telling us all our cars must be under a certain decible limit. Really loud old school V8 sound is the key ingrediant IMHO.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 10:12 AM   #44
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
agree, but with the addition of - it needs to have at least 350ci and has to be able to tow a fully loaded inboard v8 ski boat
in my opinion, muscle isn't just speed - it means having the muscle/tourque to effortlessly move any realistic load

a torana, bolwell or 6 cyl valiants are not muscle to me
I use a 6 pot nissan patrol as a tow rig, it will pull anything i give it
It will pull way more loads than my XC would dream off
But it aint no muscle car
The turbo diesel 4by thats nearly finished puts out my torque at the wheels than the XC, and will definately tow more, again its no muscle car
And the 4bies will both give the XC a run for the money

edit :
The first thing i took of the XC was the towbar,missus asked why ???
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #45
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
I use a 6 pot nissan patrol as a tow rig, it will pull anything i give it
It will pull way more loads than my XC would dream off
But it aint no muscle car
The turbo diesel 4by thats nearly finished puts out my torque at the wheels than the XC, and will definately tow more, again its no muscle car
And the 4bies will both give the XC a run for the money
true, but do they have 350 or more cubic inches, carby and all of the other items in the post i quoted

others have already alluded to the fact that later model cars will run rings around so called muscle cars for performance and comfort - but then that is generally not what muscle cars are about

we could use the american definition, but then not many of our cars would fit the criteria, because most were sedans - and even the coupes were watered down within 2 years of being built, so most of them would not qualify
Old 21-01-2012, 10:41 AM   #46
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

How about "muscle" doesn't describe the car its self, but, the feeling created through owning and driving one?

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 11:25 AM   #47
Angeldust

Thats what i said previously.

If i got in my car blindfolded, it would feel like a damn Muscle car. It would drive like one too.

Everyone has a different definition. IMO There is NO definition thats definite.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #48
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
How about "muscle" doesn't describe the car its self, but, the feeling created through owning and driving one?
to me, it is more about the engine involved and the muscle it puts out

either way, everyone has their interpretation and whether they are right, wrong or neither, it doesn't really matter. to the true definition, australia doesn't have many muscle cars (if any), so that means we all have make our own criteria. many would not agree with me, because i do not and will not consider xu-1's, a9x's or 6 cyl valiants as muscle cars - doesn't make me right though, just opinionated
Old 21-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #49
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I think the new 580 hp ZL1 Camaro and the 650 hp GT500 Mustang are worthy successors.

Both of those showroom cars are a step above our FPVs and HSVs and well deserving of the "Muscle Car" tag.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 12:12 PM   #50
PIG250

Not a muscle car itself but id say the end of Australias muscle car era was the Valiant shape. The last real 100% Aussie muscle car would have to be the XB GT

Last edited by PIG250; 15-09-2013 at 03:02 PM.
PIG250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #51
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

They big and heavy requiring MUSCLE to drive them...
Esp in manual steering form...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 02:13 PM   #52
billy302

The History of muscle cars started in the 1940's and early 1950's.
The Dukes of Hazard is a play on this.
Moonshine runners and their toys. But probably the best totally dedicated Muscle car was the 1966 Pontiac GTO.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pontiac_GTO_1966.jpg
http://musclecars.howstuffworks.com/...cars-work3.htm

Last edited by billy302; 21-01-2012 at 02:16 PM. Reason: More stuff
billy302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #53
z80
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
I'm reasonably sure that Corvettes were getting spanked in acceleration and topspeed in 1978 by Dodge Monaco police cars (last of the 440 wedge engines) .. was only once Mopar changed to the gawd-aweful St Regis 318 cars that Corvette owners were safe again .. so maybe an 1980 Vette was "muscular"? (until the Buick GNX turbo V6 showed up in the mid-eighties ..
That may have been the case then...but Corvettes are the ducks' guts now and the definition of a 2012 muscle car.

I've just driven one for a week and can guarantee you it is a scarey piece of work....6.2 litres of shaking V8 brutality.

Loud,thirsty, uncomfortable and sheer muscle.

In stock form it is a sub 4 second 0-100 performer....normally aspirated.

Imagine the most modified XR6 turbo...then think faster without boost.

I can vouch that at 150 mph it still has two gears to go....

z80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #54
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol @ 3mpg
Old 21-01-2012, 09:17 PM   #55
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIG250
Not a muscle car itself but id say the end of Australias muscle car era was the Valiant shape. The last real 100% Aussie muscle car would have to be the XB GT
it was well over before some stale old valiant or watered down XB GT....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 10:03 PM   #56
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well, as basic as the C3 is, it can still take a corner reasonably well (despite being built from the same technology as the C2 which was 16-18 years old at that point...)

I'd love to see the Monaco attempt a corner The general vettes were more based around balance, not just POOWWWWWWER. But the c3's with the 427 and 454's fixed that right up huh?
According to my copy of "Dodge, Plymouth and Chrysler Police Cars: 1956-1978" .. "The 440ci powered Mopar squads will always be remembered .. They were the champions of an era then police officers gave pursuit regardless .. the squads were up to the task too. These cars could do 130-150mph and had the cooling capacity to do it all day long. Those cars also had the brakes, suspension, and tires to back up the big-block. In fact the tactic of some LAPD freeway interceptor pilots was to cathc the violators as they exited, where brakes, suspension and tires counted the most .. In 1978 [the big-block Plymouth Fury] was Americas fastest car. Not just the fastest four-door sedan. Not just the fastest police car. In 1978 the Plymouth Fury A38 [Police Special] was the fastest car produced in North America, period."

BTW .. That was 133mph (down significantly from 147mph of the 1969 Dodge Polara) .. The 1978 Corvette was 127mph (Car and Driver, Jan 1979)

I think you must be confusing 4-wheel, coil sprung, all wheel drum, stockos with Mopars big-block police specials. Theres a reason why all you see in old Dukes of Hazzard and Blues Brothers are mopar police cars .. They OWNED the police market until 1978.

It's actually interesting talking about police cars as a muscle cars were mechanically based on a lot of "police" hardware. One of the best 60s police specials was the 1968 Plymouth Belvedere was basically a four-door Road Runner.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #57
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome pics z80. I am going to hire one of them when I go to the US one day. Just have to wait a few years until I am over 25 so I don't pay a ridiculous price.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2012, 10:23 PM   #58
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

My definition of muscle car is as follows:

A model that was built in basic spec, but offered performance-orientated options from factory.
With a "sports/super car" being a model that's only available as a "peformance orientated" vehicle.

Yes, I realise that would include many cars such as Minis. But you need to consider that eg: a Mini wouldve been one of the best "muscle" cars any relevant country may have offered.

However, this is merely my opinion. NOT gospel that im forcing others to believe.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 08:28 AM   #59
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Corvettes are NOT muscle cars , especially the early ones before the Lotus powered ones . They were nothing but ugly overweight sludgeboxes , hell 99% of them were autos , they werent even sports cars as that is just a bridge too far , they were bought by the BCSD crowd .( Until the Lotus powered and suspended ones ) . Put them up against a Bolwell Nagari and they would not see the Bolwell for dust as it dissapered into the distance.
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #60
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by z80
That may have been the case then...but Corvettes are the ducks' guts now and the definition of a 2012 muscle car.
Contradiction of terms right there.
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post