Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-11-2016, 05:04 PM   #31
OzriderXR8

Default Re: Make Carparking Great Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Drive this & I guarantee no more parking problems!

Women with a shopping trolley will take care of that no problem.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #32
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
There's many businesses I refuse to go to because of their car parking, after more than 30 years I recently dumped Bob Jane Bankstown in favour of Jax down the road simply because BJs is a shocker.
Also nothing more scary than a supermarket carpark when a frayed women 20-40 yrs old pulls up beside you in a 4WD with half a dozen kids in tow.
The local Ford dealership painted in very tight parking spaces when they sealed their customer carpark some years ago. I was quite nervous about parking there, and always went for the end spot so I could park on the line.

And they are supposed to be a car friendly business...
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 05:09 PM   #33
OzriderXR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Agreed, blaming the council is a 'Current affair' way of looking at it.
We see this in civil construction a fair bit, good example was a developer wanting to maximize the units on his plot but didn't want to allow for the designated recreation space. They're idea was to donate equipment to a nearby park, great idea for them, the council is then responsible for the gear and they save on upkeep, gardening etc
I guess all councils are different, the one we dealt with had strict rules on how big a space had to be and how much space was required for turning in and out of the parking spot. Can't remember the sizes but it was part of the planning permit and the architects had to keep resubmitting the building plans.

AUII XR8 200KW
FG MK2 XR6
Mini 850
Rover P5 3 Litre Mk1
OzriderXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 07:18 PM   #34
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Considering panel shops are staffed by immigrants, I'd say you are anti Mexican, taking their income and food off their tables, you animal!
Now if you'll excuse me, I love America so much, there's a riot I have to attend.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 13-11-2016, 08:45 PM   #35
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must be lucky. In 9 years I have have car park damage once as far I have know. Which is weird because I am always in car parks and worked at a shopping centre for 1 year out of those 9 years.

But yes carparks are getting narrow. Length wise they are shorter than most duel cab utes.
I often park the Ranger with the front bumper on the line and have my towbar or more sticking out the rear.

I park far away from the door of the shops as much as possible.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 08:49 PM   #36
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Bullet View Post
I always try to park way out on my own when I'm in the city. Why then every time I come back to my car some nuff nuff has managed to park a 4wd next to me when there's 50 freaking empty spots?

Try driving a Porsche. People do that **** to be 'funny'.
TE2 #116
Build/Maintenance thread here.
www.fte.ford.com.au lives! 2001 2002
Add a T-series to the Registry HERE
Silver' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2016, 10:03 PM   #37
commodorenutt
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver' View Post
Sometimes they deserve what they get though. Yesterday I saw a Cayenne parked at the shops, straddling 2 spots, with the line almost perfectly up the middle underneath.

Parking was the typical saturday morning nightmare - no spare spots around at all. Plenty of people pulled up looking, thinking there was a spot beside the thing, then realised they couldn't fit - on one side was only half a spot, and on the on the other side about 6 feet or so then a gutter and wide footpath.

Ol' mate in a filthy, grubby, lifted hilux decided to do what most who saw it were thinking, but wouldn't have the balls to...... he drove 2 wheels up on that footpath strip, and parked right in close beside him, with his LH side just millimetres off the Porsche's driver's side. I was one of several who clapped him when he got out.

Would have been interesting to see the self-entitled ***** try get in the passenger door & try and climb over the console to get into the driver's seat.

All the Cayenne driver had to do was park in the end spot, against the kerb, and he would have had 2 feet between the LH side of his car & the line to the next spot, but that didn't occur to the selfish fool, so he took up 2 spots instead. He deserved what he got (assuming he got back to his car before the hilux owner).
commodorenutt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-11-2016, 10:09 PM   #38
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent write ups on AU technical issues. 

I can see how they (anyone who's driving a car that attracts excessive repair costs) get that way - but parking like a douche certainly isn't the answer. As well as being highly offensive, in many cases it would attract vandalism.

Hilux guy is a legend!
TE2 #116
Old 13-11-2016, 10:24 PM   #39
Autolite

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Sometimes they deserve what they get though. Yesterday I saw a Cayenne parked at the shops, straddling 2 spots, with the line almost perfectly up the middle underneath.

Parking was the typical saturday morning nightmare - no spare spots around at all. Plenty of people pulled up looking, thinking there was a spot beside the thing, then realised they couldn't fit - on one side was only half a spot, and on the on the other side about 6 feet or so then a gutter and wide footpath.

Ol' mate in a filthy, grubby, lifted hilux decided to do what most who saw it were thinking, but wouldn't have the balls to...... he drove 2 wheels up on that footpath strip, and parked right in close beside him, with his LH side just millimetres off the Porsche's driver's side. I was one of several who clapped him when he got out.

Would have been interesting to see the self-entitled ***** try get in the passenger door & try and climb over the console to get into the driver's seat.

All the Cayenne driver had to do was park in the end spot, against the kerb, and he would have had 2 feet between the LH side of his car & the line to the next spot, but that didn't occur to the selfish fool, so he took up 2 spots instead. He deserved what he got (assuming he got back to his car before the hilux owner).
I did just that in my GT at Repco the other day but there were plenty of other spots available. If Hilux dude had of tried that stunt on me I would've waited for him to get back and probably given him a knuckle sandwich.
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-11-2016, 10:31 PM   #40
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Or you'd have whined like a frightened puppy and skulked off because you knew you were doing the wrong thing - we'll never know.

Why not take another car to Repco if your GT is to precious to expose to the same risk everyone else in the parking lot was taking?
TE2 #116
6 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2016, 11:08 PM   #41
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by commodorenutt View Post
Yesterday I saw a Cayenne parked at the shops, straddling 2 spots, with the line almost perfectly up the middle underneath.
What most people that park in this idiotic manner don't realise is that it is not only illegal (you can get a ticket for parking that way from council rangers, parking officers and/or police), but that it also annoys other people, which may decide to run keys/coins/rocks etc down the side (or both sides) of your car, or cause other damage to the vehicle.

Seen this on more than one occasion.

I generally tend to look for spots between two concrete posts or end spots, or park in the out of the way spots when I park my cars in car parks which is not too often these days. It's just annoying that you have to do this as people should take care, but most don't.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 11:26 AM   #42
Lugh

I have found the more you care about a car, the more carpark damage it attracts.
I daily drove (and still have) a horrible old bush pig of a landcruiser for 10 years. I would park it anywhere - train stations, big centres, and one particular Bi-lo carpark with tiny spaces (about 2.1m wide), and it never had any door dents, trolley marks or parking scrapes.
My missus drove a dual cab hilux that we tried to keep very tidy, but it was a -ing magnet for damage. The number of door dings was ridiculous, even though it had pretty wide steps on it. It also regularly had different shades of paint on the corners of the bullbar where people managed to swing into it.
Now she drives a Forester XT which we try to keep tidy, but it has collected some door dings and a scrape on the front too.
Old 14-11-2016, 12:04 PM   #43
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I bought an "old" ute for two reasons.

Primarily because I'm always renovating something and being able to carry 6m (or 8m) lengths of stuff really saves time (rather than waiting for it to be delivered).

Secondly, I use it as the gofer. I'm not concerned if it does get scratched but even so, I park it by itself where I can. Sometimes that means a bit of a walk but I figure that won't do me any harm.

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 12:24 PM   #44
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220 View Post
I drive a Pajero. Can't say I have much of an issue with parking tbh
4WD's with sidestep are easier to get in/out in narrow spaces than most sedans.

2 door coupes being the worst
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 01:00 PM   #45
mac_man_luke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tell me about it! Parking my landcruiser with its stupid turning circle is damn hard most of the time. Its not just the park width either - the width of the "lanes" are getting narrower as well which is not real helpful either.

But at least dings etc are not a problem with a ute.
Old 14-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #46
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
I did just that in my GT at Repco the other day but there were plenty of other spots available. If Hilux dude had of tried that stunt on me I would've waited for him to get back and probably given him a knuckle sandwich.
So let me see if I've got this right, you would deliberately take up two spots and then YOU would thump someone because they want to park in the spot you have so selfishly taken up with your car? I think you're the one who needs a thumping for being a self absorbed selfish ******!
Old 14-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #47
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

I have just invented.... Inflatable exterior airbags. Park in spot. Get out. Press corresponding button on key fob. Walk away.
Who goes shopping anyway? Women. I just drive to work, then home. I hate shopping.
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 06:13 PM   #48
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump View Post
Just carry a can of black paint and turn two of these tight spots into one
Heading to Bunnings now and getting some rattle cans just for this
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2016, 11:53 PM   #49
Autolite

Quote:
Or you'd have whined like a frightened puppy and skulked off because you knew you were doing the wrong thing - we'll never know.

Why not take another car to Repco if your GT is to precious to expose to the same risk everyone else in the parking lot was taking?
I did say that there were plenty of spaces available. I was on the way back from a drive and decided to pop in on the way home for some oil.
Yes you will never know how people react. Not prepared to get into a slanging match with a keyboard warrior
Autolite is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2016, 12:20 AM   #50
KeyboardFighter
Smashed Conrod

This is why I drive a clapped out AU with tons of pain fade, dings all over the panels and interceptors so far out of the wheel wells that you would think its a stock car. Never had anyone park too close to me in the 9 months I've had this car.

Last edited by KeyboardFighter; 15-11-2016 at 12:20 AM. Reason: spelling
KeyboardFighter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2016, 06:42 AM   #51
Lunch
Wait, what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac_man_luke View Post

But at least dings etc are not a problem with a ute.
Get off the sauce brother! Some of us take pride in our utes..
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2016, 12:11 PM   #52
Silver'
T-Series Club Member Vic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolite View Post
I did say that there were plenty of spaces available. I was on the way back from a drive and decided to pop in on the way home for some oil.

Yes you will never know how people react. Not prepared to get into a slanging match with a keyboard warrior

I think maybe you're missing the point that you can't know how many people may arrive after you park? If you were sure that it wasn't going to fill up while you were in there, then all you needed to do was to park normally as there would be nothing to worry about as no one would park next to you.

It's all good with me what you did, I get it, but don't pretend that it's not selfish and that the person forced to squeeze into a park next to you deserves to be attacked. Now if the nugget damaged your car, then I'd be backing you up!
TE2 #116
Old 15-11-2016, 02:16 PM   #53
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:

Porsche no way unless it's a Cayenne I keep away. Very nice cars..

New or late model BMW, Mercs and Audi's however hmmm.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2016, 04:52 PM   #54
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Regardless of how wide the bay is as there are some people who will park off centre and open their doors erratically without a thought of taking care and still clean up your car.

I park my cars in a bay at Woollies that has no bays either side and therefore no cars can park beside them and yesterday I booked my Ute in to have a dent removed from what I can only guess came from a runaway shopping trolley.

I polished out the scuff but the dent is still very noticeable.

My Merc has a scratch deep enough in the boot lip spoiler to expose the guide coat where someone felt it was ok to use it as a table for whatever heavy thing they sat on it then scraped it over the lid to lift it off.

That happened out the front of the bread shop with the car parallel parked on the street.

I'd love to see wider parking bays but that's not going to stop people who think it doesn't matter because it's just a car.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2016, 06:28 PM   #55
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
..but that's not going to stop people who think it doesn't matter because it's just a car.
This time 10, mates missus damaged his brand new HiLux by resting something on the bonnet and dragging it off. When he lost his ****, she looked at him blankly saying 'it's just a car"

Yes a car that just cost a lot of $$.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-11-2016, 06:33 PM   #56
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
I'd love to see wider parking bays but that's not going to stop people who think it doesn't matter because it's just a car.
I'm paranoid about people parking next to me.

On the way home from our recent south trip we stayed at a motel in Singleton (typically narrow parking bays).

Parked our car and went in for a cup of coffee and an hours rest.

I was bit concerned about idiots but what do you do?

What I didn't realise was that our leg of motel parking included spare spaces for restaurant guests. I heard a "clunk" and sprung into action ready to drape myself over my vehicle.

Luckily (for me) it was a Hyundai Sante Fe?? (whatever the big Hyundai SUV is) which parked next to a car two spaces up. As I opened our motel door a kid flung the rear door open and into the car next to them. A decent bang.

I figure you get what you get with kids but was disappointed there was not a word from the parents.

I moved my car out into the street beside the motel

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #57
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Best car I ever had was an old 40 series Landcruiser I used as a shooting rig, lived in western Sydney at the time, had bull bars and side rail and build like a tank.

I used to park it in a shopping centre car park and when I came out the spots either side would be empty

Once I was driving to work and a woman doing her makeup ran up the back of it damaging her car badly (bonnet pushed up into windscreen, fluids leaking everywhere, smoke, smashed grill, lights etc), I got out and she asked if I need her details I looked at my car and her car and said,'looks like you have been punished enough I have no damage that a $2 can of black paint can't fix'.

Sometimes I wish I still had that car.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-11-2016, 06:38 PM   #58
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest View Post
As I opened our motel door a kid flung the rear door open and into the car next to them. A decent bang.

I figure you get what you get with kids but was disappointed there was not a word from the parents.
No decent parents educate their kids, no way my kids would do that.

May be the parents need to be send the bill for the damage to be repaired...

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 15-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lunch View Post
Get off the sauce brother! Some of us take pride in our utes..
And some of us just use them as a Ute.....

Old 15-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #60
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
And some of us just use them as a Ute.....

You can afford to do that when your other ride is a flash CLK Merc.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post