Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-01-2011, 10:39 PM   #31
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Pretty good chance we will have an election late this year.

You can demonstrate your opinion on speed cameras then.
Yes, because voting for someone else will help us

As far as this topic (and certain others) is concerned, there is no lesser evil between whos vying for power in this state...
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:41 PM   #32
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Yes, because voting for someone else will get rid of them...

As far as this topic (and certain others) is concerned, there is no lesser evil between whos vying for power in this state...
vote 1 for flappist?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #33
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0
vote 1 for flappist?
I wish..... Then maybe common sense will actually become common again.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:06 PM   #34
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If speed cameras are so good at saving lives why does Victoria have the highest Christmas road toll?
Obviously there still aren't enough cameras to bring the road toll down. I'm sure the government will soon fix the problem with a few hundred more, cause that will solve the problem.

Don't worry about the untrained drivers hitting the streets everyday that can barely drive, because its only the idiots going 3kmh over the limit that crash.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2011, 11:37 PM   #35
Highway

its just not cars.. just past the logan motorway turn off on the F1 heading north there are 4 cameras set up under the overpass and no signs saying there there.. And I bet there will be at least 3000 cars getting done there a day!
Old 03-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #36
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes, because voting for someone else will help us

Well you never know what is just around the corner.......

"Anything else is just unAustralian"
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 12:46 AM   #37
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it's pretty simple. the police simply park a car infront of these camera's.

if of course they back their own commentry.

don't supply any police help, don't supply any union help.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:01 AM   #38
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dec 31, coming back from Nerang..There was a camera in the bushes ,near the horse float sale yard. Then about 2kms up the road, there was another camera!!!!!!!!! and we aren't revenue raising!!!!
Old 03-01-2011, 01:12 AM   #39
Ego T

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Spotted the black one on the Bruce in the sth bound lane (Sunshine Coast) with the canopies all up and police stuffing round inside the back, must have been stuffed wish i got a pic

God I hope it is stuffed! I got snapped by this one on the 27th... It was in an overtaking lane and got me good.
Ego T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 01:41 AM   #40
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Burnout, is that a pic from the rear of the Yamanto Pigsty?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 03:42 AM   #41
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

I've seen the white Rodeo in Kipparing wearing for sale signs.
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 11:41 AM   #42
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

TransCanadaHighway.com Ontario Speedtraps

Overview

Radar detectors and laser detectors are illegal to use in Ontario. Fines $100.00 to $1000.00, and seizure of Detector. Set your cruise control to 10 km/h over the posted limit, and you will be relatively safe. Photo Radar has just recently been booted out of the province by our new provincial government.
Ontario has Reciprocal Agreements: with 41 US states. Fines: Depends on Speed up to 20 kph-$3.00 per km/h, 21 to 36kph-$4.50 per km/h, 36 to 50kph-$7.00 per km/h, +50kph-$9.75 per km/h Careless driving charge. Note: Plead Guilty, or Not Guilty (show up in court), NO other options such as pleading no contest.
The OPP is using laser guns. This is confined mostly to Hwy. 401 around Toronto, and on Hwy. 417 just west of Ottawa near the Corel Stadium. Cop was standing outside his car, aiming the unit at the back of cars passing by. Unit had a cord running back into the car. A common tactic on Hwy. 401 is for one cop to peg speeders with the laser, then radio ahead to a partner up the road to nab the hapless driver.

Laser Speed Traps
They will generally give you 10 km (6.2 mph) over the posted limit before stopping you. They are really good at hiding the traps, sometimes in small Japanese cars 1/4 mile before the cars that will be stopping you. They can pick the middle car in a group of cars, and even seem delighted at doing it. On freeways, the officer, laser trap, and radio in hand, will hide in bushes with a cooler, and nab cars. The laser trap has a telescopic site on it, and as he clocks your speed, he looks at your licence number. Then he radios down the road (up to a mile) to his buddies(usually 4-8 cars or motorcycles) to stop you and give you a ticket. Watch for median bushes, on overpass, in unexpected vehicles at side of highway, behind road signs, or up to 100 meters off road to either side. Typical Stopping Vehicle Locations: up to 1 mile after trap, on freeways - on next on-ramp.
Stepped up patrols of Hwy. 401 (Windsor to Quebec border) especially around Toronto and east about 100 miles
Old 03-01-2011, 12:59 PM   #43
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes everyone thinks cameras are a load of crap. But who's going to take a stand?
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2011, 03:45 PM   #44
Ego T

There is nothing we can do about it as ultimately it is us, the citizens of Australia putting them on the streets...

We elected the government, they passed legislation to introduce them, that became law and now we suffer...

Speed cameras are a moneymaker and when there is a way to make a pile of money it is in the nature of humans to make as much of it as possible for as long as possible by whatever means necessary.
Ego T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 PM   #45
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Beware on Old Cleveland Road, Carina (eastbound). I saw the same VW Caddy Life that I saw on Mount Cotton Road in December. When I first spotted it on the side of the road I immediately wondered if it was that same vehicle, and suddenly it flashed before I went past it, hopefully it was the Camry in the left lane that appeared to be travelling faster than me and not me because I had the speedo needle just below 60km.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:27 AM   #46
snap

How can they book people when they are not even approved!

I refer to your e-mail of 24 February 2011 sent to our NMI Pattern Approval e-mail address. This has come to me for a response and I confirm that to date the NMI's Chief Metrologist has not approval the pattern of any speed measuring instrument.

This e-mail is entirely without prejudice and nothing in it is intended to constitute legal advice express or implied.

I trust that this information satisfies your enquiry.

Yours sincerely
Richard

Dr Richard Brittain LLB
Senior Legal Metrology Policy Officer
Legal Metrology Branch
National Measurement Institute
Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research

I refer to your e-mail of 22 February 2011 and I confirm as follows:

1. The abovementioned device(ROBOT TRAFFIXPAX TraffiPhot III SR with SGS certificate dated 14/10/2008 SGS ) is not exempt from the provisions of the National Measurement Act 1960 (Cth) including section 10;
2. There are currently no pattern approved vehicle speed measuring instruments in Australia; and
3. Any enquiry about the requirements for calibration and testing of vehicle speed measuring instruments would be best directed to the Police service using the instrument in question or the manufacture or agent of that instrument in Australia.
This e-mail is entirely without prejudice and nothing in it constitutes legal advice either express or implied.

I trust that this information satisfies your enquiry.

Yours sincerely

Richard Brittain

Dr Richard Britta in LLB
Senior Legal Metrology Policy Officer
Legal Metrology Branch
National Measurement Institute
Department of Innovation, Industry, Science and Research
166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP
snap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 10:41 AM   #47
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I sometimes wonder what would happen if the state transport departments
sat down with police and honestly asked where are the problem areas with driver actions,
I would trust a coppers opinion over a money grubbing official.

You'd probably find things like:
- cutting in and out of traffic
- tailgating
- driving +20 kph over the limit
- driving impaired (tired, drugs, alcohol)

Perhaps a higher presence on the road with patrol cars and police bikes is the proper answer
but as the police union has found, deaf ears fall on solutions involving higher police numbers....

learn the rules of fight club and don't discuss them openly on forums
otherwise the authorities get wise and change their revenue raising plans.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #48
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

jpd80 A lot on here have stated (as well as the head of the Police union) that more Police presence on the road is whats required.

A few years back I was discussing Police numbers with a mate of mine who is a Police officer. He told me how many officers were stationed here and how many were actually on duty at any one time. On a weekend these numbers were so low its not funny. We have a population of some 150000 people and the ratio of police to people needed to be increased by at least 3times the number.

Since then I know that we have gotten 20more officers, but how many have left?

2yrs ago I was witness to 2 accidents in town and it took ambulances/ firies about 10mins to arrive (3mins for the towies!) and some 25mins for Police to respond! Now these accients were in major multilane roads which needed traffic control in order to avoid a traffic jam or another accident.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 11:36 AM   #49
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Saw my first covert revenue camera today along Mt. Cotton Road past the Sirromet Winery. It was a maroon VW Caddy Life.

It was a sneaky one too, It was make to look as if it just randomly pulled over on the side with its left indicator flashing and one of its doors open. It was only the flashbulb mounted on its towbar that gave it away.

Yep that one sits on Vienna road almost every day
Old 13-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #50
snap

Check this out
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/vic...-1226018034109
http://au.video.yahoo.com/watch/8773582/24459604
They are turning on themselves , hope she wins.
166.2RWKW.
CHEERS SNAP
snap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #51
sudszy
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
You'd probably find things like:
- cutting in and out of traffic
- tailgating
You think that police or anyone believes the road toll is largely due to people cutting in and out of traffic and tailgating? evidence of?

I agree both cause a lot of collisions(though rarely big injury ones) and make driving stressful and would like to see the perpetrators strung up.

Quote:
- driving +20 kph over the limit
- driving impaired (tired, drugs, alcohol)
Cameras dont work if the driver is +20kph over?
Drugs and alcohol, seems to be a very active presence here in Mexico.
Tired? apart from all drivers having log books for the police to check, how are extra patrol cars going to make drivers do the right thing in this regard.

Quote:
but as the police union has found, deaf ears fall on solutions involving higher police numbers....
Nothing wrong with the police union insisting on higher numbers, but what is really at issue here is that the union is just being menacing/defensive/wary of the case that has been before us in the industrialised world for years, machines replacing humans.

Its not about the safety of the public at all, nor is it about them feeling sorry for the hip pockets of those with lead feet.

Really it is union irresponibility of the highest order, surely the extra cameras are going to assist in reducing speeding drivers? if not explain how they couldnt?
sudszy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #52
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

a little off topic, but does anyone have the figures of how many people have been fined by speed cameras over the years. it would be interesting to know if people are getting smarter or dumber
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:36 PM   #53
Sizey
Mk5 Transbulance

Quote:
Theres a covert Holden rodeo that sits along the Warrego Hwy. It is actually fitted with an Orange strobe light on the roof, like that found on pilot vehicles. Pointlessly deceptive really.
I would like to verbalise what many people are probably thinking. If they are spending large amounts of $$$ on covert vehicles ie. VW Caddy etc and for fitouts such as rotators and full canopies on the rear of utes, would this not mean that they would need to go harder than ever before to get drivers in order to recoup $$$ spent on these vehicles???

B series xr6 wagon
Now deceased

BF Fairlane ex taxi
Now for more fun
[/CENTER]
Sizey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-03-2011, 09:40 PM   #54
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
a little off topic, but does anyone have the figures of how many people have been fined by speed cameras over the years. it would be interesting to know if people are getting smarter or dumber
There was a story on CH9 News (QLD) last week giving figures about QLD speed cameras... they compared one location in Brissy a few years ago to this year.
The increase was quadroupled! (if thats how its spelled!)
They also gave the "revenue" figures from the 4 highest producing cameras...

Old 13-03-2011, 10:21 PM   #55
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
Doesn't give full 2010 figures but attached is 2009 comparison data to the first quarter 2010...for fixed speed cameras only...

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/Resourc...20RTI.2133.pdf

quite a good read...

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-03-2011, 09:44 PM   #56
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

thanx for that jim and sezzy. unfortunately I cannot believe those figures, because recently we have been told repeatedly that speed cameras were not for revenue. their only purpose was to slow people down and therefore create a safer environment on the road for everyone

the link provided seemed to show that more people are being caught by speed cameras. that cannot be true, because speed cameras are working. therefore because people are slowing down, less fines should have been given – by a large percentage. if more people are getting fined, then the people are not slowing down and the speed cameras are not working and that is not possible. the speed cameras and the powers that be are totally correct – we have been told that on numerous occasions
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2011, 12:49 AM   #57
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

gtxb67 are you saying we are being fed bull about speed camera figures!!!!!

lol

Old 15-03-2011, 01:45 AM   #58
Big Bird 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizey
I would like to verbalise what many people are probably thinking. If they are spending large amounts of $$$ on covert vehicles ie. VW Caddy etc and for fitouts such as rotators and full canopies on the rear of utes, would this not mean that they would need to go harder than ever before to get drivers in order to recoup $$$ spent on these vehicles???
It's the old you have to spend money to make money.The pollies have to fund their super funds somehow don't they!
Old 15-03-2011, 12:40 PM   #59
Ducati888
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One thing you need to know with this whole corrupt system is that 80% of all fines go to the private operator of the speed cameras. In Victoria, up until very recently that was Tenix. It is now Macquarie Bank.

Only 20% goes to consolidated revenue of the government. If you get fined, take it to court. If you are found guilty (it's virtually impossible to get off, even though road rules are not passed by legislation, and the cameras are not constitutionally recognised as measuring devices), at least the fine money will not go to the private operators (it would then be proceeds of crime).

That's what I'm doing.
Old 15-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #60
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bus shelter near me, has a Chockito ad, Police won't like!!
It says " Chokito Says No To Hidden Speed Cameras"
Could that be dig at Police hiding them behind bus shelters!!!!