Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #31
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i think ford stopped discounting as it was destroying the resale of the falcon too much. i would say it has worked as the resale these days is very similar between holden and ford.
That is true however it has only officially started with FG, the idea is to make less cars but with more profit built in. At the moment Holden are in deep doo doo because they have too many cars sitting in storage so now they have to offer heavy discounting which will inevitably affect VE's re sale.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 03:27 PM   #32
blackwood
FiSTed

Quote:
One thing to consider from the fleet sales is that the Falcon does not discount as heavily as Holden does (unless this has changed in the last 12 months). But speaking to a few people looking at pricing between the two the Commodore was always cheaper then the Falcon.
Commodore has always had a cheaper base price than Falcon because of one thing.
Aircon is NOT standard in the Commodore Omega, although it is pretty much a mandatory option if you buy one.
This allows Holden to give a lower advertised base price for the C/dore.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Said on Mt Panorama
Man if this track were in America it would be illegal!
blackwood is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 04:49 PM   #33
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwood
Commodore Omega, although it is pretty much a mandatory option
Heh it actually is impossible to get one without aircon, go ask a Holden Dealer about ordering one without. They did make one from memory but it had all the aircon equipment, just with no gas, no belt and no switch to turn it on.
Old 25-11-2008, 08:17 PM   #34
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

Yeah I'd stick up for Holden, Bathurst would be pretty boring if it was Ford vs Ford after all. Gotta have something to argue with mates about!
I'll admit I loved it when the HSV was on Top Gear UK, and was peeved off when they were insulting it.
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 08:24 PM   #35
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Thought the a/c issue was resolved with the VE?

Dave_au I was talking more about the difference between the Falcon and the Commodore in terms of purchase price for fleets or even salary sacrifice.
Old 14-01-2009, 03:12 PM   #36
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Default Jez Spinks Stinks (Drive.com.au)

I know the subject of this thread is composed of a certain amount of 'journalistic hype', and may be ripe with inaccuracies, but consider this.

Go-Auto eNews issue 465 came out today, and in the text I can see written on the front page "Bob Lutz reveals that GM has scrapped the Australian based gobal RWD program"

On drive.com.au I see "Holden secures Commdores future" (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=60169&vf=2)

In Go-Auto, same issue, down on page 3, I see buried in the text regarding Ford "We had to put the Global RWD program on hold..."

And in drive.com.au today I see "Uncertain Future for Australian Falcon". (http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=60193&vf=2)

Both drive articles were written by Jez Spinks.

It's pretty clear the agenda that Drive is pushing....

Lukeyson
Old 14-01-2009, 03:49 PM   #37
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive.com.au
A turbocharged four-cylinder engine is also still being considered for the Commodore.
Cause a 4cyl worked so well last time....
Old 14-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #38
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

The guy is a muppet, drive and carpoint have been rubbish for as long as I can remember.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:08 PM   #39
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
The guy is a muppet, drive and carpoint have been rubbish for as long as I can remember.
Drive is definately dirty on Falcons, Holden must spend more money on advertising in Fairfax newspapers, Carsguide less so. Mellor's Go Auto is the about looks at things with a bit of objectivity.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 04:45 PM   #40
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

GoAuto is the only one to read, the rest are utter poo.
Old 14-01-2009, 05:10 PM   #41
TZENU
XY Driv3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
GoAuto is the only one to read, the rest are utter poo.

Ditto.... I look forward to the GoAuto News every week! And its the only source i would trust out of them all!
Old 14-01-2009, 05:56 PM   #42
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you want to have fun, ring up, email or write to everyone who advertises in Drive and tell them that as a protest against the bias in Drive you will specifically not buy any of their products while they advertise there.

If enough people complain the advertisers will look at changing to other media thereby cutting off the money. Drive WILL react.......

A group I was involved with in 1994 did this to John Laws via complaints to Toyota and it actually shut him up on a particular subject he loved to attack.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #43
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Moderators can this be merged into the Ford Media Watch thread.

That is the thread which biased (anti-Ford) media articles are to be placed.

Cheers

Phillyc

PS Go Auto is the only real decent widespread automotive news out there.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 08:03 PM   #44
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Merged.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 08:20 PM   #45
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If you want to have fun, ring up, email or write to everyone who advertises in Drive and tell them that as a protest against the bias in Drive you will specifically not buy any of their products while they advertise there.

If enough people complain the advertisers will look at changing to other media thereby cutting off the money. Drive WILL react.......

A group I was involved with in 1994 did this to John Laws via complaints to Toyota and it actually shut him up on a particular subject he loved to attack.
Great idea. I'll phone Holden tomorrow telling them I'll no longer buy Holdens because the car site they sponsor, Drive.com.au, has too much bias against Fords.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2009, 08:38 PM   #46
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Drive is definately dirty on Falcons, Holden must spend more money on advertising in Fairfax newspapers, Carsguide less so. Mellor's Go Auto is the about looks at things with a bit of objectivity.

No I think they just pay the editor, and 'journo's' directly.
Old 14-01-2009, 10:17 PM   #47
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Just found this in my Gmail inbox as a "sponsored link".

The article actually says the G6ET is a good car, (though the reviewer wasn't too impressed with the fuel consumption), but from reading the text with the link in gmail, you wouldn't know it!

Here's the link to the actual review: http://www.hercar.com.au/articles/item/24504
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #48
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers

The article actually says the G6ET is a good car, (though the reviewer wasn't too impressed with the fuel consumption), but from reading the text with the link in gmail, you wouldn't know it!

Here's the link to the actual review: http://www.hercar.com.au/articles/item/24504

lol the article says 11.7l/100k, thats bloody good for a car of that power and weight.
Old 15-01-2009, 09:01 AM   #49
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^^^^^^ By placing the fuel part first it will be the only thing many readers will read. After that it will stick in their minds all through the review.
Old 15-01-2009, 10:31 AM   #50
BLUEYBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers

+

I have to agree. Going by the heading you would think the car was a lemon but reading the article its a good write except for the fuel. I guess they are comparing it to a Barina or similar because most cars this size have similar fuel consumption. On average how many women put the Falcon as their first choice car (only maybe if they have a family)
1995 EF Fairmont - Tickford Enhanced
1980 ZL Fairlane in Brambles red
BLUEYBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #51
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

No point in starting a new thread.

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...2577A0001A9080

New editors for Wheels, Carsguide

Quote:
Expat Australian Bill Thomas to edit Wheels magazine as Bulmer heads to News Ltd

16 September 2010

By TERRY MARTIN

ACP Magazines has announced the appointment of Bill Thomas as the incoming editor of Wheels magazine, replacing Ged Bulmer who resigned from the post in August after eight years in the chair.

Officially starting his new job on November 14, Mr Thomas is an Australian expatriate currently working for BBC Magazines in the UK as deputy editor of the British edition of Top Gear magazine.

In a statement released this week, ACP said Mr Thomas grew up in Brisbane and had spent much of the past two decades in the UK, working on a range of titles including Car, EVO and Max Power.

He spent three years as deputy editor of Autocar before joining Top Gear magazine in 2006.

Wheels publisher Michael Koslowski said: “Selecting the next editor of Wheels was a tough process – we had some exceptional candidates seeking to join a very select editors’ club.

“In the end, Bill’s creative vision for the next era for Wheels, combined with his passion for all things motoring, won through.”

Mr Bulmer has remained at Wheels until his successor was announced, although in August was appointed the managing editor of News Limited’s Carsguide, which makes him responsible for editorial content and direction across the company’s national newspaper and internet stable.

GoAuto’s report in August that Mr Bulmer was moving to News Limited prompted Carsguide publisher Sue Klose to confirm his appointment.

She said securing his services was a “real coup” for Carsguide, considering Mr Bulmer had, over 18 years of editing motoring magazines, “proven his ability to grow circulation and readership”.

“My brief to Ged is straightforward: just keep doing what you do,” she said.

In an internal memo, ACP Magazines men’s lifestyle publisher Michael Koslowski paid tribute to Mr Bulmer, who as a former editor of Motor (1998-2002) and 4Wheeler (1994-1998) is one of ACP’s longest-serving editors.

“Ged has been an extremely successful and dedicated ACP editor, and a man of the highest integrity,” Mr Koslowski said. “He has led the magazine to record consistently strong circulation, readership and advertising revenue.

“While we are sad to see him hit the road again, we wish him well in his next adventure, and look forward to his return.”