Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-10-2014, 12:13 PM   #31
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: Safest car sold in Australia is...

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Ssang Yong Chairman 2015 http://indianautosblog.com/2014/06/2...irman-w-133879
Sorry !!! fingers clicked wrong photo !! first is a Mondeo...second is the Chairman
Yep, you can see the Benz heritage in that one......no! not the Mondeo
Old 24-10-2014, 03:31 PM   #32
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Genesis launch marketing machine has started - safest car you can buy in Australia is nice but what about parking Hyundai instead of a Mercedes in leafy suburbs driveways - will Hyundai badge carry enough prestige ?
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #33
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Genesis launch marketing machine has started - safest car you can buy in Australia is nice but what about parking Hyundai instead of a Mercedes in leafy suburbs driveways - will Hyundai badge carry enough prestige ?
Gotta start somewhere.

And for what it's worth, the Genesis does not actually feature any Hyundai badges or insignia anywhere.
Old 24-10-2014, 03:58 PM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
That's a good question. Fine for those who aren't brand aware and only car about fuel economy, some style and running costs. But for the rest of us, would YOU be happy with a Hyundai built vehicle, or does your family/friends/neighbors opinion matter more?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 04:07 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
That's a good question. Fine for those who aren't brand aware and only car about fuel economy, some style and running costs. But for the rest of us, would YOU be happy with a Hyundai built vehicle, or does your family/friends/neighbors opinion matter more?
Yep, before I bought our current car last year I seriously looked at Hyundai
Old 24-10-2014, 04:16 PM   #36
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

I really like the i40 wagon. Have driven one a couple times and think they're great. Can't afford one at the moment but if I had the money that's what I'd buy.

Most people I know only care that you have a new car, not what it is.
Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 04:23 PM   #37
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toyota, Mazda and Subaru were all in the same boat not that long ago. Now they are seen as prestigious and desirable makes (not me) by many in the community. And I have no doubts the Koreans have learnt valuable lessons and will accelerate their approval quicker then the Japanese did.
Will be interesting watching.

JP
jpblue1000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #38
usernametaken
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Personally, I think the Genesis will be a run away success.
usernametaken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 04:49 PM   #39
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
Toyota, Mazda and Subaru were all in the same boat not that long ago. Now they are seen as prestigious and desirable makes (not me) by many in the community. And I have no doubts the Koreans have learnt valuable lessons and will accelerate their approval quicker then the Japanese did.
Will be interesting watching.

JP

Toyota ( apart from Lexus) Mazda or Subaru are hardly seen as prestigious , Hyundai is already level with them .Hyundai is now aiming upwards , towards BMW , Audi , Mercedes , Jaguar and the like .
Mazda tried it in the past with their Eunos , Honda is doing it in the US with Acura and Toyota was the only one to succeed with Lexus.
Old 24-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #40
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Who remembers crappy Goldstar electronic equipment and now has LG stuff at home?

JP
Old 24-10-2014, 04:59 PM   #41
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Toyota ( apart from Lexus) Mazda or Subaru are hardly seen as prestigious , .
When I use the term Prestigious I use the English definition of inspiring respect and admiration. Not the commonly misused definition of luxury, quality and excessive cost.

JP
2 users like this post:
Old 24-10-2014, 05:06 PM   #42
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpblue1000 View Post
When I use the term Prestigious I use the English definition of inspiring respect and admiration. Not the commonly misused definition of luxury, quality and excessive cost.

JP

From Oxford dictionary
PRESTIGEOUS
ADJECTIVE

Inspiring respect and admiration; having high status:

Mazda ,Toyota or Subaru inspire respect and admiration ?
Old 24-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #43
XBv8mmm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Yeah - I'm keen to hear your rationale there XBv8.

We bought an i30 diesel new in 2008. One of the things that appealed to us was the 5 year warranty because none of the others we looked at could match that at the time.

We needn't have worried though, because nothing went wrong with it in that 5 years. In fact it's still going like a new one.

Not bad for a heap of poop eh?

Russ.
G'day ozpacman.

I've posted on this a couple of times before now.

Basically, I've had 3 new Hyundai's in the family over the years. The leader of the opposition has had a mid 90's X3 excel from new and an early 2000's lantra from new. I now have a 2012 i45 as a company car from new.

The excel and the lantra were what they were, cheap, small, underpowered cars manufactured with cheap parts and built to a price. The boss got rid of both of them right on their warranty running out as both were starting to fall apart and had reached their used by date. Nothing wrong with that as that is how they were marketed and if you didn't know that's what you were buying the more fool you.

Modern Hyundai's however are promoted as some what more up market and of better build quality. Rubbish!

A short list of issues with the i45,

Centre console trim falling off. (it took 3 visits to the dealer to get this fixed.)

rattles in the dash, doors and roof.

a transmission that is so unintuitive that it is lucky that they fitted paddle shift because I have to do the shifting for it most of the time.

An ICC (touch screen, sat nav, iPod etc.) that had not worked properly from new until after about a year and a half it was found that it was installed incorrectly and had to be sent away for repairs and on top of that it was found to have pirated software installed on it. (it still will not hold the correct time.)

An under powered petrol engine that sounds like a diesel. (nobody seems to be able to hear the rattles though).

Plus a number of other smaller quality and after sales support issues.

And don't start me on the Hyundai dealer network. Some on the forums have given Ford a bagging for their dealer problems. Hyundai would give them a run for their money.

I read an article some time ago, can't remember where, that the i45 had become an aspirational car. I almost fell over from the laughter.
For gizmos the i45 doesn't lack much, colour touch screen, iPod connection, sat nav, power wing mirrors, blue tooth, rain sensing wipers etc.
And that's the thing, people are dazzled by the gimmicks and ignore the mechanicals. Hyundai just don't build well built cars by todays standards. They rely on the gimmicks to hide that fact. Yes, they have improved, the i45 is miles ahead of the lantra and excel. But the rest of the manufacturers have moved on too and Hyundai(and the other "cheap" OEM's) are still behind them.
My BF2 XR6 (sadly missed as I sold it to buy the new XR8) and the wife's 2007 Mondeo are both much better cars even with (or despite not having) less gizmos than the i45.

I'm glad that you have had a reasonable experience with your car, don't hold onto it beyond it's warranty period though.

Rant over.
Old 24-10-2014, 06:12 PM   #44
paule11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Badge reminds me of Bentley, Bonnet reminds me of Mercedes
paule11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 10:56 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Just another boring thread where the OP has no idea how ANCAP ratings work.

Who cares if a little Korean buzz box is the safest in it's class?

If it hits a larger car the occupants in the smaller car will fare worse, much worse.

You can't airbag your way around physics.

Last edited by zilo; 24-10-2014 at 11:06 PM.
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #46
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBv8mmm! View Post
G'day ozpacman.

I've posted on this a couple of times before now.

Basically, I've had 3 new Hyundai's in the family over the years. The leader of the opposition has had a mid 90's X3 excel from new and an early 2000's lantra from new. I now have a 2012 i45 as a company car from new.

The excel and the lantra were what they were, cheap, small, underpowered cars manufactured with cheap parts and built to a price. The boss got rid of both of them right on their warranty running out as both were starting to fall apart and had reached their used by date. Nothing wrong with that as that is how they were marketed and if you didn't know that's what you were buying the more fool you.

Modern Hyundai's however are promoted as some what more up market and of better build quality. Rubbish!

A short list of issues with the i45,

Centre console trim falling off. (it took 3 visits to the dealer to get this fixed.)

rattles in the dash, doors and roof.

a transmission that is so unintuitive that it is lucky that they fitted paddle shift because I have to do the shifting for it most of the time.

An ICC (touch screen, sat nav, iPod etc.) that had not worked properly from new until after about a year and a half it was found that it was installed incorrectly and had to be sent away for repairs and on top of that it was found to have pirated software installed on it. (it still will not hold the correct time.)

An under powered petrol engine that sounds like a diesel. (nobody seems to be able to hear the rattles though).

Plus a number of other smaller quality and after sales support issues.

And don't start me on the Hyundai dealer network. Some on the forums have given Ford a bagging for their dealer problems. Hyundai would give them a run for their money.

I read an article some time ago, can't remember where, that the i45 had become an aspirational car. I almost fell over from the laughter.
For gizmos the i45 doesn't lack much, colour touch screen, iPod connection, sat nav, power wing mirrors, blue tooth, rain sensing wipers etc.
And that's the thing, people are dazzled by the gimmicks and ignore the mechanicals. Hyundai just don't build well built cars by todays standards. They rely on the gimmicks to hide that fact. Yes, they have improved, the i45 is miles ahead of the lantra and excel. But the rest of the manufacturers have moved on too and Hyundai(and the other "cheap" OEM's) are still behind them.
My BF2 XR6 (sadly missed as I sold it to buy the new XR8) and the wife's 2007 Mondeo are both much better cars even with (or despite not having) less gizmos than the i45.

I'm glad that you have had a reasonable experience with your car, don't hold onto it beyond it's warranty period though.

Rant over.
No worries mate - and based upon your experiences I wouldn't be too happy either.

This i30 has been our first Hyundai and my plan was, and still is, to put around 200k kilometres on it before I am fully convinced. Our previous family car was a VS Commodore which we ran to around that mileage and by then it was literally falling apart around our ears.

So far so good with this one however it only has about 105k on it at this stage. We tend to keep our cars for a long time so I'll be in a position to make an informed call on it another five or so years.

Russ.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 12:37 AM   #47
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From Oxford dictionary
PRESTIGEOUS
ADJECTIVE

Inspiring respect and admiration; having high status:

Mazda ,Toyota or Subaru inspire respect and admiration ?

I guess an awful lot more people do find they inspire respect and admiration than recent Ford and Holden offerings it would seem. And it only seems to be heading further that way. Not making a judgement just offering what I read in the monthly sales record
JP
Old 25-10-2014, 12:39 AM   #48
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
J

well actually that's what airbags are for!

But your point stands RE ANCAP comparing likesized vehicles.
Probably not going to stop people using them to compare.

JP
Old 25-10-2014, 02:39 AM   #49
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
The thing that gets me about these ultra high scores in ANCAP testing is are these truly, exceptionally safe cars or are they cars designed and engineered in a way to pass the ANCAP tests with exceptional results.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather high scoring ANCAP car in my driveway, but are these results truly believable or are they a result of manufactures knowing how to play the system?
People don't realize, but ancap ratings are overrated (lack of a better word)
For starters, they only crash test cars against others in their same size class. So they have no idea how safe for EG.....a small Hyundai is against the merc they quoted!
Of course a 'higher' ancap rated car is safer then a low one.....but people should remember that there are MANY other factors involved that ancap simply doesn't cover.
Things mentioned above like...size, crash avoidance, multi class crash safety and the fact that the very meaning of crash means you have to be in a crash to see how safe it is in the real world. And Only real world crash results give people reliable markers for working out which cars are the "safest" cars.

I suppose the real issue here is the thread title......assuming that a high ancap rating means you have the safest car!
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 09:16 AM   #50
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
a little Korean buzz box

5 users like this post:
Old 25-10-2014, 09:54 AM   #51
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hyundai is only planning to sell a 3.8 V6 as V8 not engineered for RHD - that is going to limit its appeal .
Old 25-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #52
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Just another boring thread where the OP has no idea how ANCAP ratings work.

Who cares if a little Korean buzz box is the safest in it's class?

If it hits a larger car the occupants in the smaller car will fare worse, much worse.

Helps if the poster had a clue and read the article before engaging the keyboard.
Old 25-10-2014, 11:27 AM   #53
Olbucko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So the Genesis scores 36.88 points, 1.82 points more than a VF Holden or 2.27 points more than a FG Falcon, big deal! I don't think 2 extra points is going to make much difference in a real world crash.

Perhaps it's time to introduce the 6 star rating now that almost every car has 5 stars
Old 25-10-2014, 11:36 AM   #54
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
People don't realize, but ancap ratings are overrated (lack of a better word)
For starters, they only crash test cars against others in their same size class. So they have no idea how safe for EG.....a small Hyundai is against the merc they quoted!
Of course a 'higher' ancap rated car is safer then a low one.....but people should remember that there are MANY other factors involved that ancap simply doesn't cover.
Things mentioned above like...size, crash avoidance, multi class crash safety and the fact that the very meaning of crash means you have to be in a crash to see how safe it is in the real world. And Only real world crash results give people reliable markers for working out which cars are the "safest" cars.

I suppose the real issue here is the thread title......assuming that a high ancap rating means you have the safest car!
you need to understand the crash results and what the process is in ancap ratings. Do you understand the point score system and the relevance of its result? the higher the point score, the safer you're car is.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 01:04 PM   #55
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olbucko View Post
So the Genesis scores 36.88 points, 1.82 points more than a VF Holden or 2.27 points more than a FG Falcon, big deal! I don't think 2 extra points is going to make much difference in a real world crash.

Perhaps it's time to introduce the 6 star rating now that almost every car has 5 stars
Yup, and i suppose the 3 extra airbags the genesis has are just there for looks too. Or maybe if 1 of the rear passengers gets a punctured lung as a result of not having rear side thorax airbags that's ok.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 07:05 PM   #56
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUD View Post
Wondering if the car's beauty is skin deep like a korean celebrity (plastic surgery), and whether the car is as soul-less as manufactured K-pop music and entire entertainment industry where people are worked to the bone for money and arent driven by passion at all..
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 09:18 PM   #57
zilo
BANNED

Just cause someone stood 3 feet away and tossed a pile of airbags into it it's suddenly safe?

Cool......
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2014, 11:23 PM   #58
1TUFFUTE
Banned

Quote:
Just cause someone stood 3 feet away and tossed a pile of airbags into it it's suddenly safe?

Cool......
Would it help if I promised I'd only crash into other small cars in my small car. And I won't go over 75klms either.....I promise
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2014, 12:22 AM   #59
jpblue1000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TUFFUTE View Post
Would it help if I promised I'd only crash into other small cars in my small car. And I won't go over 75klms either.....I promise
Isn't it about the same size as a falcon, certainly longer and wider than one. So Im guessing its safer than a falcon as its in the same class

JP
2 users like this post:
Old 26-10-2014, 08:13 AM   #60
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by XD 351 Ute View Post
I wonder where we'd be if our government supported companies like that, foreign owned or not......

Ed
Not only that - The population is extremely patriotic towards their country and their brands.

Around 85-95% of all cars on the road there are Korean brands. You will see the odd Ford, Nissan, Mitsubishi or Toyota but in numbers so small that you will probably never reach double digits for any 1 non Korean brand if you were out for the day in Seoul.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post