Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 14-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #31
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo
Can you explain this one? First time I've heard that a V6 of the same spec will produce more torque than an I6.
The V6 is a product of the bean counter and nothing more. Only around for transverse applications and/or component sharing with V8s.
Neither of the Duratec V6s share any components with any of the V8s.

And I think you'll find a healthy amount of V6s going into RWD F150s and V6 Mustangs.

Ecoboost V6 in F150 truck: 270 Kw @ 5000 and 567 nm @ 2500
Old 14-03-2011, 11:26 PM   #32
Resurrection
I was correct - AGAIN

If I had to choose a local 6, the Ford I6 is heaps better than the Holden and Toyota V6 sixes. So it is the next best thing to a V8.
Old 15-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #33
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Unfortunately if you really have to ask the question then you will probably not understand the answer.

Look up the specs of a VQ35HR or VQ37VHR, S54, GT3RS etc...........
flappist & JC, certainly some interesting engines there. I was mainly asking the question about other 6 cylinder engines because I have never had the privilege of driving a car equipped with those engines. Which one of those engines did you like the most, e.g. acceleration and refinement & what kind of fuel consumption were you getting etc.?
Old 15-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #34
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Default Re: Is the ford I6 the next best thing to a V8?

You bet your *** it's the next best thing! There's nothing quiet like a strait 6 4ltr Falcon! Nuff said
Old 15-03-2011, 09:54 PM   #35
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Our daughters husband has an old Ford advertising poster on the wall, showing an XYGT and a BA GT side by side on a track with "270kw" and something about "King of performance cars" or something.

Then in the car yard sitting next to the G6E we bought was an FPV of some description with a turbo six and "310" proudly on the side...

You bet your **** there's alternatives to a V8...
Old 15-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #36
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

in short... 2JZ... no S*!t.
Old 16-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #37
RAPID_BA
Banned

Ford didnt really do the falcon justice in auto form with those long legged ratios. But you just cant argue with the power and torque output of these engines. Or better the manner in which they operate, they are not v-tecs (that make nothing until 5000rpm) our 4.0 grunts from down low
Old 16-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #38
kezzer

another thread I6 thread by HULK_BA lolol
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 16-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #39
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when ford axed the 8 in the XE there was talk of a turbo 6 and Dick Johnson got involved in some deveolpment work but unfortunatly it never happened so ford drivers had no performance option available
today we have a turbo 6 that give real V8 performance so although I hope it doesn't happen dropping the V8 wouldn't do the harm to ford that it did in the 80s
why do you think V8 sales are down ? you can buy a 4L I6 with the associated fuel ecomomy ( till you flatten it) that will keep up with or even beat many thirsty V8s on the road today and thats without playing with boost and better intercoolers

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
Old 16-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #40
kinksta
Luxojet

I am just glad there is variations in all engines in different cars. What could we talk about if everyone had the exact same engine?

"My wing mirrors are smaller for improved acceleration!"
Old 16-03-2011, 07:45 PM   #41
billy302

Well it really depends what you want. I've owned both. In fact I've owned lots of V8's over the years.
In the Country where you can use them properly the V8 in just about any form is King. I've had many modified 8's as well, that had more than enough grunt to satisfy anyone.
But they aren't as much fun in the city. Stuck in traffic Idling around everywhere or the engine ticking over below 2000rpm.
Not a lot of fun in an 8. Even at the lights if you are first of the line you can only enjoy the 8 for a spell.
The 6 on the other hand is more at home in the city and is capable in the country as well.
It's your choice. I currently use the 6 because it suits my needs.
But I still miss the 8. Even Today.
Old 16-03-2011, 08:32 PM   #42
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Once youve had V8, its REALLY hard to go back. Id even take a 165kw EF V8 over a new I6 Falcon. Despite being slower and thirstier. Stupid as it may be.

As for it being the next best thing, well yes Id say it is. I certainly wouldnt go outside of those 2 motors. Being the "horrible one-eyed" Ford man that i am...
Old 19-03-2011, 01:55 AM   #43
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Notice how flappist & JC have mysteriously disappeared....
Old 19-03-2011, 02:04 AM   #44
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by prasac
we just talking Ford motors or all makers? Hyundai has been impressive of late with a 230kw 3.8L V6 with 380NM of torque. and the Mustang V6 produces about the same.
Yeah. Most Manu's are getting over the 200kw range these days.

I still love how we lead in torque though.
Old 19-03-2011, 02:06 AM   #45
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinksta
I am just glad there is variations in all engines in different cars. What could we talk about if everyone had the exact same engine?

"My wing mirrors are smaller for improved acceleration!"
We could talk about how awesome that engine is. In this scenario... it's our I6.
Old 24-03-2011, 08:54 PM   #46
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Come on flappist & JC it would be great to hear your experiences with those engines you listed.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:04 PM   #47
StealthAu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Next best thing to a v8 is a 265 hemi.
Old 24-03-2011, 09:39 PM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford man xf
Come on flappist & JC it would be great to hear your experiences with those engines you listed.
Well I read a story once on the internet on someone in a VQ35HR (n/a V6) powered car travelling at about 120km/h at about 2am when they caught up to a line of 4 trucks just before a long section of windy road. They decided to overtake as quickly as possible but got a fright as they passed 240km/h and thought it would be a good idea to back off before passing the last truck.

Now back in the open days in NT I could never have done that in either my GT-P or F6........
Old 24-03-2011, 09:56 PM   #49
TEaaron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own a v8 and I6 with the same Displacement making roughly the same power. i'll try to ignore the big weight differences and give my opinion on the engine it self.

The I6 definitely has a lot more low end pull and feels like a much more consistent power delivery through the rev range.

The V8 does rev slightly higher mainly due to it's small displacement but, it is also much smoother. the only down side I find with it is that it has a noticeable power range kick at 4000rpm. I prefer my motors to have a building up feel.
Gotta love the sound of an 8 though.

E32 740iL Leather, sound system, rollin' on 19's
Old 26-03-2011, 10:42 PM   #50
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well I read a story once on the internet on someone in a VQ35HR (n/a V6) powered car travelling at about 120km/h at about 2am when they caught up to a line of 4 trucks just before a long section of windy road. They decided to overtake as quickly as possible but got a fright as they passed 240km/h and thought it would be a good idea to back off before passing the last truck.

Now back in the open days in NT I could never have done that in either my GT-P or F6........
So in other words you (and I assume JC as well because he hasn't replied) have never even driven any car that features any of those engines? I found you and JC's comments condescending yet neither of you have even driven a car with these said engines, you probably haven't even looked under the bonnet of a car that features those engines, I find this quite amusing.
Old 27-03-2011, 12:05 AM   #51
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy302
Well it really depends what you want. I've owned both. In fact I've owned lots of V8's over the years.
In the Country where you can use them properly the V8 in just about any form is King. I've had many modified 8's as well, that had more than enough grunt to satisfy anyone.
But they aren't as much fun in the city. Stuck in traffic Idling around everywhere or the engine ticking over below 2000rpm.
Not a lot of fun in an 8. Even at the lights if you are first of the line you can only enjoy the 8 for a spell.
The 6 on the other hand is more at home in the city and is capable in the country as well.
It's your choice. I currently use the 6 because it suits my needs.
But I still miss the 8. Even Today.
I/we just did a trip 750k return trip in our FGF6 & got 9.5 there & 10.5k/100 on return. I drove the entire way home. I believe there may have been some short hard bursts of acceleration , ie 2-3 sec's & 200fastish?
Feel the raw power & acceleration of a FGF6 from 100 - 200 klms/hr.
The F6 creams the v8 in the 1/4 mile & top end acceleration so apart from NOT enjoying the sound of the turbo in full flight...
get a louder stereo or buy an INFERIOR package
Old 27-03-2011, 12:16 AM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So in other words you (and I assume JC as well because he hasn't replied) have never even driven any car that features any of those engines? I found you and JC's comments condescending yet neither of you have even driven a car with these said engines, you probably haven't even looked under the bonnet of a car that features those engines, I find this quite amusing.
You really are a stupid child aren't you?

The VQ35HR is the engine in my current 350Z which I have been driving for the last 3 years.
The VQ37VHR is the engine in a 370Z which I have driven on a few occasions.
The S54 is the engine in a 2001-2006 (E46) BMW M3 which I have again driven on more than one occasion although quite a while ago. The current M3 is a V8 and I have not driven one of them since about 3 weeks ago.

If you had actually looked up what these were and looked back at a bit of history on AFF it would have been very obvious.
Old 27-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #53
ford man xf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You really are a stupid child aren't you?

The VQ35HR is the engine in my current 350Z which I have been driving for the last 3 years.
The VQ37VHR is the engine in a 370Z which I have driven on a few occasions.
The S54 is the engine in a 2001-2006 (E46) BMW M3 which I have again driven on more than one occasion although quite a while ago. The current M3 is a V8 and I have not driven one of them since about 3 weeks ago.

If you had actually looked up what these were and looked back at a bit of history on AFF it would have been very obvious.
I usually label people "stupid child" when they start childish name calling, like a stupid child does. The M3 & 370Z you owned these cars or were friends?
I did look up these engines, Google is everyones best friend. What's written on paper is almost always different to real world figures, hence why I enquired about how these engines actually behave in the real world, since you pointed out those engines I would have assumed you knew, all I got was "Well I read a story once on the internet on someone in a VQ35HR"

Quote:
and looked back at a bit of history on AFF it would have been very obvious
History of what? Didn't know there was a section VQ35HR or VQ37VHR, S54, GT3RS engines?
Old 27-03-2011, 01:06 AM   #54
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One or two jibes each way is entertaining but lets keep it civil or (pm & how u pls)
Old 27-03-2011, 01:29 AM   #55
Jimmyd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
when ford axed the 8 in the XE there was talk of a turbo 6 and Dick Johnson got involved in some deveolpment work but unfortunatly it never happened so ford drivers had no performance option available
today we have a turbo 6 that give real V8 performance so although I hope it doesn't happen dropping the V8 wouldn't do the harm to ford that it did in the 80s
why do you think V8 sales are down ? you can buy a 4L I6 with the associated fuel ecomomy ( till you flatten it) that will keep up with or even beat many thirsty V8s on the road today and thats without playing with boost and better intercoolers
XE Grand Prix - approx 34 built by CDT (remember the ZZ/Z Geminis?) with input from trick dicky.....

Old 27-03-2011, 01:37 AM   #56
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I usually label people "stupid child" when they start childish name calling, like a stupid child does. The M3 & 370Z you owned these cars or were friends?
I did look up these engines, Google is everyones best friend. What's written on paper is almost always different to real world figures, hence why I enquired about how these engines actually behave in the real world, since you pointed out those engines I would have assumed you knew, all I got was "Well I read a story once on the internet on someone in a VQ35HR"

History of what? Didn't know there was a section VQ35HR or VQ37VHR, S54, GT3RS engines?
There seems to be rather a lot you do not know......
Old 27-03-2011, 01:53 AM   #57
Buntz
Straight Eight

Can you two cut it out.... you're spamming my email inbox unnecessarily.
Old 27-03-2011, 10:49 AM   #58
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Personal insults will not be tolerated.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Closed Thread