Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: what should i do
give him nothing 25 54.35%
give him money for the wishing well 12 26.09%
give him a card stating we are even 9 19.57%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2011, 09:41 PM   #31
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Engagement present etiquette

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
so ive decided to give him $100 just so there are no fights.

and i will def be giving him a wedding present and the best bucks present ever (a spare dancer)

one thing i did forget to mention is when he offered to fire up the barbie she lost it at him infront of me for offering food all the time. dont mind me helping you out.

good luck to him with that one
Sounds like she put the ring on her own finger.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 09:51 PM   #32
GT-Pete
Breaking stuff...

Why the hell do people expect engagement presents nowadays. I say give him nothing. Sounds like he owes you anyway
GT-Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #33
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

A few tight asses on here , sort out the work for him another day and if your not keen on his missus get something more for him , mates are mates ... he's not ya mum but so set stuff straight up , man up and crack him about any deals ya got going weddings or not
Old 08-09-2011, 10:45 PM   #34
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:

one thing i did forget to mention is when he offered to fire up the barbie she lost it at him infront of me for offering food all the time. dont mind me helping you out.

good luck to him with that one
Buy him a divorce kit.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 PM   #35
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-Pete
Why the hell do people expect engagement presents nowadays. I say give him nothing. Sounds like he owes you anyway
For the ladies there's the engagement present, then a present at the kitchen tea, and they still expect a wedding present!!
Even I think that's excessive - and I'm female!!
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:49 PM   #36
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I've never understood why people need presents for getting engaged. Or married. Why the requirement for stuff? Isn't your closest friends and family enough? Just my thoughts....
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #37
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

And then don't forget the housewarming present and then the baby shower present....What happened to the good ole days where YOUR presence was the present!
Old 08-09-2011, 10:51 PM   #38
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
And then don't forget the housewarming present and then the baby shower present....What happened to the good ole days where YOUR presence was the present!
This is what i'm talking about!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 03:42 AM   #39
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

" he charged her for everything.

he is a great mate "

Sorry no he isn't . Give him nothing as an engagement present .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 05:49 AM   #40
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

poor bloke sounds like his balls are being well and truly broken..... it may take a while before he re grows a spine and snaps out of it.... $10 says within two years old mate will be hitting you up for a place to stay......
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 07:18 AM   #41
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
did i mention his mum aint to bad?
Maybe you should hit on him and not his mum, sounds like the silly bugger needs some shock treatment

Last edited by Russ; 09-09-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 07:44 AM   #42
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
poor bloke sounds like his balls are being well and truly broken..... it may take a while before he re grows a spine and snaps out of it.... $10 says within two years old mate will be hitting you up for a place to stay......
Don't forget him when he rocks up on the doorstep in the middle of the night, payback's a beeech aint it

Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 07:56 AM   #43
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cant get a burnt snag or greasy chop there was no chance of the sisters car service deal getting a run... not so much the mate.. the owner of the thumbprint in the middle of his noggin......
Old 09-09-2011, 10:44 AM   #44
ltd
Force Fed Fords

This girl I used to go out with got engaged to a fella (that she didn't end up marrying) and had a big engagement bash at the Intercontinental. Then, she made everyone pay $85.00 per head for the meal, and she wanted presents as well. I took a mate along, as he had "known" her before too. Coming from a tradition of Italians and Greek weddings/engagements, we saw this prepayment thing as a bit bizarre. When asked to bring a gift on top of the wedding gift, words like grifter and tightass were bantied about, but we put our heads together, went down to the Woolworths and got them a toaster. A cheap woolworths select toaster. Took it out of the box, wrapped it up and on it's way. Best $16.00 we ever spent. It had a blue LED on it.

Even after the wedding was called off and they split up, she decided to keep the gifts.

Funny thing was that when her and I had previously dated, I broke it off with her for being too possesive. I didn't know she was THAT possesive.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 10:53 AM   #45
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
This girl I used to go out with got engaged to a fella (that she didn't end up marrying) and had a big engagement bash at the Intercontinental. Then, she made everyone pay $85.00 per head for the meal, and she wanted presents as well. I took a mate along, as he had "known" her before too. Coming from a tradition of Italians and Greek weddings/engagements, we saw this prepayment thing as a bit bizarre. When asked to bring a gift on top of the wedding gift, words like grifter and tightass were bantied about, but we put our heads together, went down to the Woolworths and got them a toaster. A cheap woolworths select toaster. Took it out of the box, wrapped it up and on it's way. Best $16.00 we ever spent. It had a blue LED on it.

Even after the wedding was called off and they split up, she decided to keep the gifts.

Funny thing was that when her and I had previously dated, I broke it off with her for being too possesive. I didn't know she was THAT possesive.
hahaha love your work.. no reason to get narky... just get em a cheap woolies toaster....
Old 09-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #46
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good you decide not to be a tight ****. stuff like painting his place is a "love job" and i'm sure if you needed him for something, he'd be there for you too.

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 11:02 AM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at the end of the day 'mates rates'.. are 'mates rates'........
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #48
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of a friend went to a wedding where it was set up that EVERYONE gave the same crappy toaster as a present.

It drew a lot a laughs and then the "real" presents were given.

What you give and how you treat your friend says a lot more about you than them........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2011, 12:59 PM   #49
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What you give and how you treat your friend says a lot more about you than them........
I agree, so I hope I sent the right message.

Not for nothing, but what is the etiquette when someone you went out with for 6 months, broke up with 4 years before gets engaged and invites you to the engagement?
In normal circumstances I'd never invite an ex to my engagement, unless we remained friends over those for years. In this case we didn't talk until the engagement party. I interpreted it as one up-man-ship where she was proving that she was capable of finding a mate of which she could betrothe, and potentially create additions to the gene pool after I'd rejected her 4 years earlier.

Geez Tony you're making me self-conscious now, maybe I spent too much.

Quote: