Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-03-2007, 03:08 PM   #31
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

True ... Ford did kind of have a competitor ... but since the F250/F350 was taken off the market ... that was the end of that.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #32
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

I think Toyota have got it right here

The latte drinkers can have they're Prado's, Rav4's and 200 Series Lancruisers, but this new 70s series is a work machine- capets are useless and fancy dashes are not easy to mount cb's on. The return of the wagon is a pretty big thing and will put a huge dent in Landrover Defender sales. You only have to look at the resale of the 70 series ute's to see that is plenty of demand out there.

New motor sounds good to the old 4.2 was really past its useby date, about the only thing i think it needs is an Auto transmission option (5 speed say), but then again it probably isnt necessary.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:38 PM   #33
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBomb3000
We have blown 2 gear box's in 260,000 kms in one of our GU 4.2 TD Partol Utes.
You should try using the clutch then; might help..... Nah just kidding.
These things will sell like hotcakes. Sayonara Nissan Patrol, you are about to become extinct in the outback.

Quote:
Powered by GE
ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:50 PM   #34
Skooter

Don't waste your money on buying a factory turbo diesel, buy a standard diesel and put an after market kit on, this is what we have done to the 100 series with no internal mods just basically the turbo hanging off the side its runs on standard ecu and for about 6 grand we have a 68%power increase.

It is a fact the new gearboxes are duds, my mate owns a large gearbox service, exchange centre here in Perth. The 80 series boxes ARE bullet proof this is why we are going to put on in and is the same reason why the guys that do the 6.5l chev conversions put them behind these engines in 100 series'. b
Skooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #35
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
These things will sell like hotcakes. Sayonara Nissan Patrol, you are about to become extinct in the outback.
I have heard that Nissan are working a V8 diesel of their own. This car might appeal to the family of roader that spends more time in town and has more creature comforts. As I said, this car seems to have raised the bar quite a bit. Good times ahead.
Old 30-03-2007, 05:28 PM   #36
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Ok I can tell you having driven both a Hilux diesel and the LC70 diesel today that the LC70 certainly has bucket loads more torque/power to it than the Hilux.

Not much in first gear in either them, they have a sheer habit for making good power through second gear though..
Old 30-03-2007, 05:49 PM   #37
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Two words, GROUND CLEARANCE!!!!!! The Toyota has twice the ground claerance as the Patrol, the spring mounts on the leaf rear patrols are about 6 inches off the ground, lower than the diff centre and bottom out everywhere. As for Toyotas weak gear boxes, the turbos use the H151 box compared to the weaker R150 in the N/A versioin. From experience, and trust me I drive these things in the desert every day, the Toyota is worth every cent. The Patrols are made for the weekend warriors who see rough terrain 3 or 4 times a year.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 05:57 PM   #38
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbackjack
Yep, the torque kick's in at 1200 rpm and stays all the way to 3200rpm. Most people that dont understand to relationship between torque and KW's will think that is it gutless.
My 2.5 litre Nissan 4 cylinder TD has 403 nm, 430 is very average for a V8 TD.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 06:05 PM   #39
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What a terrible vehicle. It looks like it was designed to drive in the bush or something.

How am I supposed to cruise around the inner city in my "designer series" Crocodile Dundee outfit and travel to "The Outback" (an nice metro wine bar I frequent) or wander up and down the freeway blocking the fast lane so everyone can see how hot I look if it does not have a MP3 capable stereo or dual zone aircon or imported leather seats or colour keyed interior or dual cooled vodka cruiser holders with fake beer tin exteriors?

Obviously not a vehicle for the serious 4WD enthusiest market.......
LOL, We went to Balmoral (Sydney Harbour) today. That's the most 4WDs Ive ever seen in one place, all driven by nob women with pseudo English accents. Only 35 mins from Blacktown now the Lane Cove tunnel is open and free.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 06:06 PM   #40
JBomb3000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
I always wondered what that "extra" pedal was for :

Blew 5th gear both times, after the first one it was "suggested" that we may have been lugging it down to much in 5th gear, they still repared it under warranty though. So after that 5th was only used above 2000 RPM and never under load and the next one did the same thing : But to Nissan's credit they also replaced the second box despited being well outside warranty.
JBomb3000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 06:14 PM   #41
Miller
It's Millertime!

I know that if I wanted to go out 4wding, I would certainly not be taking a territory ghia, I would not be taking a prado, a landcruiser, a range rover, or any of these other sorry excuses for four wheel drives. That thing is built to do what a four wheel drive is supposed to do.
Old 30-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #42
Citric GT
Its yellow, NOT green!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
That thing is built to do what a four wheel drive is supposed to do.
Move 2.3 kids around the suburbs?
Old 30-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #43
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
My 2.5 litre Nissan 4 cylinder TD has 403 nm, 430 is very average for a V8 TD.
True, but the Cruiser gets it at 1200 rpm not 2000 like the Nissan, much better torque band for carrying heavy loads.
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:15 PM   #44
jarridtheruler
I wish I was offshore....

Is it the same gearbox as the old cruiser ute?
We used to blow these gearboxes up all the time at work, along with a lot of diffs.
We recently shifted back to turbo deisel patrol utes, which we used to use several yars ago, as they have airbags and mechanically seemed to last longer.
Its a shame we wont be getting these beasts at work. All bma mine cars purchased from now on have got to have airbags.
jarridtheruler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #45
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citric XR6
Move 2.3 kids around the suburbs?

Just throw them in the tray, I'm sure they will manage
Old 30-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #46
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think it's good to see something thats just trying to do its job, rather than having 'the most cup holders of any car in its class' or other useless options.
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:36 PM   #47
CrankR
XR6 Madness

I have a '06 TD Hilux SR (mid range) which is so much better than the older 'Lux's (my opinion) but when i hear my brother in laws flatmate is getting delivery of the brand new TD Cruiser new week and is costing him $78k, i fail to see how much better his will be when he has spent an extra $32k more than i have. I also got some extras for my $46k.
I know they are a different vehicle and his must be the top of the range model but holy sh#t. They are still 4x4's and both still have dropside trackbacks.
Is a V8 TD really that much better? cause really, thats all your paying for.
My TD Hilux flies and has all the safety gear.

http://www.fordforums.com.au/photos/...ux_004_001.jpg
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow

Last edited by CrankR; 30-03-2007 at 09:47 PM.
CrankR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 09:42 PM   #48
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heef101
I have a '06 TD Hilux SR (mid range) which is so much better than the older 'Lux's (my opinion) but when i hear my brother in laws flatmate is getting delivery of the brand new TD Cruiser new week and is costing him $78k, i fail to see how much better his will be when he has spent an extra $32k more than i have. I also got some extras for my $46k.
I know they are a different vehicle and his must be the top of the range model but holy sh#t. They are still 4x4's and both still have dropside trackbacks.
Is a V8 TD really that much better? cause really, thats all your paying for.
My TD Hilux flies and has all the safety gear.
Offroadability is worth paying for. Anything with IFS is not a true off road vehicle. The new Troopy has got the formula correct. My only whinge about the new GXL wagon is the 90 litre fuel tank. But I am certain that after market tanks will be available soon.

Your mates TD cruiser is nothing more than a weekender snow mobile. I can see now how Toyota are pitching their trucks. 70 series if you are going off road proper, and everything else for the urban cowboy.
Old 30-03-2007, 09:53 PM   #49
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Quote:
Offroadability is worth paying for.
While this is true and and a hilux isn't at the same standards as a Cruiser when it comes to off road... i still wouldn't pay that much more.
Old 30-03-2007, 09:57 PM   #50
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
While this is true and and a hilux isn't at the same standards as a Cruiser when it comes to off road... i still wouldn't pay that much more.
It is all relative I guess. Would I pay 60K for a top of the line off roader? In a heart beat the answer is yes. And in 08, after a few have been sold, I wil be ordering one. Take your 60K and find a better 4x4, in Australia, and your choices become fairly scant.

Cheers.
Old 30-03-2007, 10:09 PM   #51
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
What a terrible vehicle. It looks like it was designed to drive in the bush or something.

How am I supposed to cruise around the inner city in my "designer series" Crocodile Dundee outfit and travel to "The Outback" (an nice metro wine bar I frequent) or wander up and down the freeway blocking the fast lane so everyone can see how hot I look if it does not have a MP3 capable stereo or dual zone aircon or imported leather seats or colour keyed interior or dual cooled vodka cruiser holders with fake beer tin exteriors?

Obviously not a vehicle for the serious 4WD enthusiest market.......

:ymca: so true
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2007, 10:12 PM   #52
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid
:ymca: so true
I'm not sure if you guys are having a joke or are a bit bitter towards 4 wheeler and there and their drivers?
Old 30-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #53
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
I'm not sure if you guys are having a joke or are a bit bitter towards 4 wheeler and there and their drivers?
:Reverend: just the ones that never leave the tar road
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 30-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #54
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

work (ergon energy- electricity distributer) has been waiting for these to come on the market.

they would have hundreds of landcruisers across QLD.
we have been having overload issues and they are hoping that the new utes will be legal to carry a few more kg. we have just had one of our old n/a cruisers replaced with a turbo 6 and the power differance is great, another 20% would be real nice.select top gear and throw the gear stick away.

ergon has been looking for a alterative to the toyota but there is nothing avalable that will fill its shoes.

it is a real shame that ford or someone dont have a serious go at this huge worldwide market.

as for the nissan V8 , i think its been on the market in the USA for a few years. but its more of a bulky looking soft roader more like the ford "f" series by the pics on the webb site. not made for pushing through washed out scruby tracks
found the site www.nissanusa.com/titan/
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250

Last edited by dave351cid; 30-03-2007 at 10:57 PM.
Old 30-03-2007, 10:46 PM   #55
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
:Reverend: just the ones that never leave the tar road
I think that I agree. I mean, it is still a free country. But when a Toorak mum takes her kids to school in one of these because they go up mount bulla once a year, I can understand how some folks start to resent these things. But like I said, its a free country, and as long as Harold Scruluney is kept under control it will remain so. When I am driving a 4 wheeler I want all hyundai excel's driven by 18 -21 YO dolly birds banned off the road.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #56
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
I think that I agree. I mean, it is still a free country. But when a Toorak mum takes her kids to school in one of these because they go up mount bulla once a year, I can understand how some folks start to resent these things. But like I said, its a free country, and as long as Harold Scruluney is kept under control it will remain so. When I am driving a 4 wheeler I want all hyundai excel's driven by 18 -21 YO dolly birds banned off the road.
LOL not saying that they shouldnt be aloud, just laugh at the posers sometimes. morgage the house to buy a $100 000 4x4 to take the kids to school. a falcon or commo would be more pratical but not as trendy.
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 30-03-2007, 11:16 PM   #57
CrankR
XR6 Madness

Next door neighbour is in a pickle as he works for QLD Parks and Wildlife (I think thats what they're called) and the Government have a policy not to buy V8's.
Not sure of what other options Toyota offer but he was saying that that he might as well keep the vehicle he's got for a bit longer rather than sending it to auction.
Old 30-03-2007, 11:37 PM   #58
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Next door neighbour is in a pickle as he works for QLD Parks and Wildlife (I think thats what they're called) and the Government have a policy not to buy V8's.
Not sure of what other options Toyota offer but he was saying that that he might as well keep the vehicle he's got for a bit longer rather than sending it to auction.
i think that started over premier pete coping some flack for driving a V8 when the fuel prices were spiraling out of control.
dont know if it means no V8 work vehcals as well ??
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
Old 30-03-2007, 11:39 PM   #59
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

Quote:
LOL not saying that they shouldnt be aloud, just laugh at the posers sometimes. morgage the house to buy a $100 000 4x4 to take the kids to school. a falcon or commo would be more pratical but not as trendy.
True, I guess living out here you just take 4 wheelers for granted. Funilly enough, you dont see too many 100k trucks out here. Nissan patrols make up the bulk of 4x4 here. But I think that the tables will turn towards toyota and their V8 diesel now. Like I said about march 08 I wil be buying one of the new 70 series. Probably the GXL wagon. And will will cost lots less than 100K.
Old 31-03-2007, 02:17 AM   #60
mustang70

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout
Nissans gearboxes might be good, but the power and torque you feel in them is pathetic! I've driven numerous 3ltr t/d Nissans and they are absolutely shocking in comparison to the Toyota alternatives.
yeah maybe they're not tough,just not got any power going through them. the nissan 3.0TD is for mum and kids patrols.
mustang70 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post