Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-05-2006, 08:38 PM   #31
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Doesn't look like it's going to be a huge difference.

I'm really surprised if they haven't designed a new ute rear end? Thought it'd be about time they updated.
Old 04-05-2006, 08:49 PM   #32
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Must admit I'm interested in the mechanical specs of it.

From what I've seen styling wise it'll be a sure fire winner. Seems to have a touch of 5 series BMW in the window line which I personally like.
Best thing... Those big twin exhausts. Very nice!
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 08:58 PM   #33
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know. But I'm usually pretty standoffish with new models. The only model new car that was an instant hit with me was the BA. I'm not sold on the VE styling.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:06 PM   #34
McobraR
me may my mo

Is it me, or the VE is starting to look more and more like a VZ? The passenger section looks very similar, which has been the same since VT...sheesh!
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #35
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kool4u
But if the holden models with have 280kw the HSV will have to be more powerful.
Unless HSV is being given the boot, which wouldn't suprise me. HSV what? FPV have been kicking their *** with new stuff and poor HSV owners are holding onto their V8 keyrings whimpering

And I highly doubt if Holden are creating a T or TT V6 that HSV will have anything to go on :
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #36
Chucky
Soooo Cute!â„¢

Location: TenderCity™ The Land of Long Hours & Number Crunching!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
And I highly doubt if Holden are creating a T or TT V6 that HSV will have anything to go on :
You might be a fraction dissapointed then!
Chucky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #37
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

With the roof/door line, it looks like it will be very hard to get in and out of the rear doors...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:12 PM   #38
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Not a fan of it

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:17 PM   #39
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb_351
does look like a composite of a few current cars, camry, civiv etc... and yes the bootlid does look like magna... and yes the b4 did have twin turbos, but were sequential i think the word is... the smaller one boosted up first, helping the bigger one boost quickly, a bit like antilag...
Even so...The Typhoon has a pretty good torque line considering its boost. Its 6 Cyl. compared to the VE would have more torque out of the Box, and then with the tweaking thats gone on.. even more..and I'd say it would be relative for the VE...But Man...it may really lack in torque...especially considering its weight
Bucket is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:32 PM   #40
WASP
Whipple Induced

Looks good IMO. Looks like a the end result of a three-way between a Camry, VZ and a Falcon so it can't be all bad..lol Does it really matter anyway, it would have to look pretty damn ugly for the Australian Holden loving public not to buy it.

If they make a turbo version of it they will sell well to. The average Jo perceives a V6 to be more advanced than a I6.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #41
HLC
Audi S3

still ugly.
Old 04-05-2006, 10:49 PM   #42
GTP-814
love the quad cams

the rear end looks a lot like the Astra, which is the same as te old statesman. Their asses all look the same. & whats with the ride hight??? why would they be testing a high powered machine that sits so high??
GTP-814 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2006, 10:50 PM   #43
XR_Strider_GuY
Boss for Go, L98 for Show
Contributing Member

The dead giveaway is the extra length from the rear doors to the rear wheel arch this shows how much longer the VE wheelbase is compared to VZ.
The doors have a Europe/Lexus ish look with the higher window line than VE and as well as high position door handles.

The doors are typical Commodore and follow the DNA of commodores since the VB where by the roof extends right out to the doors and the doors themselves only contain the glass and a very thin frame.
Old 04-05-2006, 11:00 PM   #44
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It might look like 5hit, but as soon as you can see the front bar and rear bar, it may give the car a whole different look!

I know a guy in R & D at holden.... blah blah - forget that crap

I know a guy at holden, and he hates the look of them! He drives a Falcon (gave the holden company car to his wife)...

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 05-05-2006, 12:11 AM   #45
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i hear the sedan is the only model that has a differant chassis to the vz . the utes will be vz based.
it looks much like a vy to me . but we'll wait and see.
The Utes and Waggon will be VZ for some time, Maybe almost 2 years?.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathXR
The best thing they've done from what I can see is given the rear arch a proper rear arch, and not a have arsed one using the rear passenger doors as the front end of the arch, ala VT-VZ which is very pov.
It's also in my VP.
Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
With the roof/door line, it looks like it will be very hard to get in and out of the rear doors...
Come on as a guy who has hit his head many times in a AU it couldn't be that bad could it One thing i have noticed with the BA you don't hit your head as the AU. I read they moved the seat position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket
Even so...The Typhoon has a pretty good torque line considering its boost. Its 6 Cyl. compared to the VE would have more torque out of the Box, and then with the tweaking thats gone on.. even more..and I'd say it would be relative for the VE...But Man...it may really lack in torque...especially considering its weight
It will be more of a XR6T competitor then a Typhoon. I can't see it having 280kw maybe 260kw? if the V8 is 280kw.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP-814
the rear end looks a lot like the Astra, which is the same as te old statesman. Their asses all look the same. & whats with the ride hight??? why would they be testing a high powered machine that sits so high??
OMG you have x-ray vison

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
The dead giveaway is the extra length from the rear doors to the rear wheel arch this shows how much longer the VE wheelbase is compared to VZ.
The doors have a Europe/Lexus ish look with the higher window line than VE and as well as high position door handles.

The doors are typical Commodore and follow the DNA of commodores since the VB where by the roof extends right out to the doors and the doors themselves only contain the glass and a very thin frame.
I don't know they said the moved the front wheels forward not the rears.
Old 05-05-2006, 02:11 AM   #46
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If thats some sort of upper spec car with tuned supension then I would hate to see the base model because this one needs serious lowering at the rear. Other than that looks OK so far.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 02:16 AM   #47
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In my opinion and based on todays market, After an initiall sales boost it will be fuel consumption that has a big impact on whether its sales continue. If the sticker on the windscreen is frightingly high {due to the weight} and reviews go against them,they will find it super hard.
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:25 AM   #48
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Just a Q: Why would they put a test car like that on the road, while trying to hide everything (Front & rear bumpers, taillights, side indicator assembly, etc), yet still put 17" Alloys on it? Why not use steelies?

Old 05-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #49
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Looking like a 380 side on.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #50
Des
V8 Rock'n'Roll....

Location: You got me Rootin' like a Hog, Barkin' like a Dog, Climbing trees and Jumping logs....

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoolMan
Looking like a 380 side on.
Agreed, small boot opening as well. Not convinced on the look yet, I'll wait for the release.

208.8 rwkw stock, update soon

20x8.5 fr 20x10 rr
Rumble thanks to:
Sureflo Exhaust - Stainless Cat's & 3.5in single catback system

"Tell 'em the guy with the Blue Mohawk sent Ya"
Des is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:13 PM   #51
gtfpv
GT

i have some very good insider information that HSV are working on a new all alloy 29 litre V34. fully imported and detuned from the states.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:41 PM   #52
Danny
GT4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDAA
If they make a turbo version of it they will sell well to. The average Jo perceives a V6 to be more advanced than a I6.
Really? Thats a shame, considering some of the best 6 Cyl engines in the world are I6's. M3 and CSL variants, and Dare I say it R34 GTR Skyline. The only other 6 I can think of that unbeleivable and percieved to be one of the best in the world is the Porsche 6's. and they are NOT in a Vee configuration...
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 04:56 PM   #53
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

did they get the same suspension from the rodeo or something? looks like they're takin a leaf out of the ford E-series hand book.

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 05:19 PM   #54
MarkIV

The VE has the look that a lot of cars are getting that makes the wheel arches look small and the wheels even smaller.

As the rear waistline of these cars is designed higher and higher there soon won't be a need for rear wheel arches at all!
MarkIV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 07:47 PM   #55
turboute
turboute

HSV wouldn't do anything with the 6 - aparrently their customers will get confused and their heads might explode - or something like that.

Twin turbo's are great- usually come at a price though - both at initial purchase price and when it comes to servicing / repairs / upgrades. Also the Falcon six is more suited to a single due to it's larger capacity and longer stroke - which mean less lag. The shorter stroke & capacity engines (ie lots less torque off boost) really benefit from the twins with less inertia.

That being said: the toyota 1JZ was sold in both forms with the later engines getting the single turbo and no real performance difference.
The RX7's went twin turbo and many performance houses had an option to ditch the twins - which were prone to failure due to their complexity, again the upgrade yeilded a power upgrade with only minor effects on the torque curve.
turboute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2006, 08:43 PM   #56
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I would love to buy a Holden next time if they actually brought out something new and better then Ford, specially in the 6 department.

Not because I dislike Ford but just for something different, with all the problems Ive had with the Fords it would be good to try a Holden out for comparison sake to see if they are actually better built / finished off. I have alot of mates with Holdens / HSVs who never complain about their cars, yes they have problems and theres little doubt about that, but their problems dont go for pages like some of ours do.. The last Holden my Family had was a VS SS V8, which was a brillant car i must say in all respects, never had an issue with it asside from the oil pump at 50,000 kays, the only thing we didnt like about it was the ride quility, the IRS was extremely rough and unsupportive on country roads..

Holden has the better V8 option and always has the past decade, the Gen III was no doubt a better motor then the Windsors even tho it did have its oil burning issues..
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 03:24 AM   #57
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

A guy over at GM insiders pooped this together, It's not perfect but it's a pretty good job. You can see some of the lines and curves are missing but it gives a different look rather then Computer generated images.
Old 06-05-2006, 09:06 AM   #58
freaky

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na
I would love to buy a Holden next time if they actually brought out something new and better then Ford, specially in the 6 department.

Not because I dislike Ford but just for something different, with all the problems Ive had with the Fords it would be good to try a Holden out for comparison sake to see if they are actually better built / finished off. I have alot of mates with Holdens / HSVs who never complain about their cars, yes they have problems and theres little doubt about that, but their problems dont go for pages like some of ours do.. The last Holden my Family had was a VS SS V8, which was a brillant car i must say in all respects, never had an issue with it asside from the oil pump at 50,000 kays, the only thing we didnt like about it was the ride quility, the IRS was extremely rough and unsupportive on country roads..

Holden has the better V8 option and always has the past decade, the Gen III was no doubt a better motor then the Windsors even tho it did have its oil burning issues..
I am thinking the same as yourselff at the moment, but coming from the other side. Never had any major issues with the holdens I have driven for 16 years, but I am now bored and wanted to try something different. Must say I get alittle concerned when i read this type of feedback whether I should just stay holden..

I guess it works both ways, I don't think one manufacturer is better than another and both have their own QA and build quality issues to contend with.
freaky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #59
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Really? Thats a shame, considering some of the best 6 Cyl engines in the world are I6's. M3 and CSL variants, and Dare I say it R34 GTR Skyline. The only other 6 I can think of that unbeleivable and percieved to be one of the best in the world is the Porsche 6's. and they are NOT in a Vee configuration...
Yes, most enthusiasts know better but the Jo average looking for a family sedan doesn't.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:48 AM   #60
WASP
Whipple Induced

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShockWaveXR6na

Brent, go wash your mouth out boy!!!

Seriously it does come down to what type of experience you have had. My last 2 XR8's and the GT has been a fantastic ownership experience, but I can't say the same for the new Focus..so far. Ialmost have got to the point of trading it on another brand several times, but not a Holden...hehe