Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-06-2014, 11:58 AM   #31
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: ____ing WHilst driving

Whoever said it further up, its not a damn right to be able to drive a car its a privilege, or at least it should be! Harder tests for P platers jesus I said this when I went for my P's and I didn't even like cars then.

Look at Finland, enough said! Most people wouldn't know what to do with a tail happy car in the wet, or what happens when its under steering. That is one big reason when I laugh at some idiot ferarri driver on lygon street crashing their prized car because they can't drive what they can afford.....

AAMI has the best policy giving 10% discount to drivers who do the defensive driving course, more insurers should do that and I love the fact that its now 4 demerit points and $440 fine for being caught on your phone in the great state of Mexico!!

Anyway's thats my rant if I ever did become a copper god I'd be HWY Patrol, I think I would end up loving fining people on their phone a little to much.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2014, 01:39 PM   #32
dirtyclevo

I know what they need to do. But have no idea how they make it.

if they want to use there phone while their car is on. there phone must be connected via Bluetooth to the cars ignition sysem via an wireless/Bluetooth type electronic immobilizer. Then you can only use hands-free and the rest of phone will inaccessible.

That would work. Most current cars have some sort of ICC thing. And ignition is electronic. So it must be just down to signals etc..
dirtyclevo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2014, 04:59 PM   #33
Guzz226

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Read my OP.
My point is that if somebody is so stupid they need a law to tell them its dangerous to take your attention off driving for whole seconds at a time, they shouldn't be behind the wheel.
Targeting specific individual acts or items is not the solution. So ok, when I was young I didn't have a smat phone or gps, but I didn't try to set my graphic equaliser whilst driving either.

My 5th child is coming up on driving age, and I've got to say it is far too easy to get and keep a license.
I know that when I was a teen, certainly all the guys were interested in cars, how they worked, and I know that having an appreciation for the physics certainly helped me. Now days, there is to much emphasis on learning test answers by rote, and not enough actual education.

I watch a lot of those aircrash investigations shows, and one theme comes through repeatedly: Flying a modern plane is **** easy, figuring out what to do when the **** hits fan is what separates the Sullenbergers and de Crespignys from the tombstones.
Any idiot can drive a car. Doing it safely is another matter.
Agreed

The reason for so many laws is due to lawyers who would contest the charge of "not using common sense" if any idiot was charged as such.
Guzz226 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 09:44 PM   #34
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Do we need a law that specifically says "don't .......
no

police can charge you with any number of things.

driving with undue care
failure to be in proper control of a motor vehicle
dangerous driving

etc etc.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2014, 10:22 PM   #35
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyclevo View Post
I know what they need to do. But have no idea how they make it.

if they want to use there phone while their car is on. there phone must be connected via Bluetooth to the cars ignition sysem via an wireless/Bluetooth type electronic immobilizer. Then you can only use hands-free and the rest of phone will inaccessible.

That would work. Most current cars have some sort of ICC thing. And ignition is electronic. So it must be just down to signals etc..

What about if you were a passenger?
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #36
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish2 View Post
I did notice whilst driving in Europe there were far less distracted drivers. They drive much quicker, and actually pay attention to doing so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlcrazy
Great idea, its amazing how much more alert i am when im driving a manual. Always predicting traffic ahead etc etc. All new drivers should made to learn to drive in a manual and have to drive one for the first year or so to make them concentrate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
People just treat driving as a secondary thing. It's what you do whilst your getting ready for work, putting make up on, talking on the phone, making sure the facebook world knows you've thought of something funny.

People don't give driving the respect it deserves.
All hit the nail on the head - a driver that's engaged in their driving is (in my view) a SAFER driver. Personally, it doesn't bother me if someone goes past at 20kmh over the limit - on a road that's appropriate - as they are concentrating, in the majority of cases.
Idiots that sit in the right lane on a road rated at 80kmh or over are breaking the law in NSW, but YOU'RE the Bastard, if you go around the left side of them - watch the lights flash and hands go up! (what is it with the hands going up? )
Motorcycle riders are engaged - have to be!! Most riders agree that the world would be a better place, if all drivers rode first, THEN you give driving the respect it deserves.
My concern is this new fad of "Back-stabber" dashboard cams - easy to make a decent driver look bad for overtaking an idiot on double lines - and don't tell me you haven't been tempted.....
What happened to that law about pulling over, if you're holding up other cars????
  • If you're being tailgated, you're either driving too slow or in the wrong lane
  • blocking should be fineable - and starts road-rage
  • people are too touchy about how much space they'd like in front of/behind their cars - watch more V8 Supercar telecasts please!
  • Let speeding drivers past - better in front than behind, then they're gone.
Three (3) things that shouldn't be attempted in a relaxed manner:
  1. Driving
  2. Playing Music
  3. Making Love
rant over - be careful out there!

Jaguar XJ-S: Eaton S/C, I/Cooler, Haltech, DB7 rims, 1:15 Wakefield.

Jaguar XJ6 Wife's daily :2006 Quartz Metallic, FORD Duratec 3.0 V6, ZF 6sp

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Jags XJ12 & XJ6, BMW E39 Wagon, BMW F11 M-Sport wagon, 20 of GMH FC-HQ
Bonn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2014, 09:33 AM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn View Post
[*]people are too touchy about how much space they'd like in front of/behind their cars - watch more V8 Supercar telecasts please!
wrong.

on a racetrack you pretty much know what the driver in front and behind are going to do.
on the road, you don't. the '2 second rule' is for a reason. it allows time to react and brake and more than likely miss the car in front if they suddenly slam on the brakes.

if someone is up my clacker then it causes me to allow even more room in front so that i don't have them in the back seat if i have to react to something in front.
Old 14-06-2014, 09:53 AM   #38
superyob
Banned

Wherever there is any type of human activity, there is a golden opportunity for idiots and the self entitled and the just plain don't give a stuffs to display their lunacy. So yes, we need laws to cater for the lowest common denominator... Unfortunately...

And I totally agree with prydey about being tailgated...
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #39
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tailgating is not good, but if you sit back, behind a slow-in-the-right-lane driver, you've just become part of the problem, so now everyone behind you is worse off.
Getting tailgated = speed up or move over. Simple.

Previous relationships: FG GT, FG XR8 (+BA XT 5.4, BA AU, EF, EB, EA, EA & XF work cars)
Old 14-06-2014, 12:08 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonn View Post
Tailgating is not good, but if you sit back, behind a slow-in-the-right-lane driver, you've just become part of the problem, so now everyone behind you is worse off.
Getting tailgated = speed up or move over. Simple.
so go around them on the left. contrary to popular belief, it isn't illegal to overtake on the left on a multi lane road.

whilst the car to the right should be 'keeping left', it doesn't mean you can't pass them on the left if there is a lane there to do so.

also, passing another car on the right or left is overtaking not undertaking. undertaking is the removal of dead bodies. just being picky.
This user likes this post:
Old 14-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #41
Bonn
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
so go around them on the left. contrary to popular belief, it isn't illegal to overtake on the left on a multi lane road.

whilst the car to the right should be 'keeping left', it doesn't mean you can't pass them on the left if there is a lane there to do so.
Is that right? Thanks for that - it's what i do anyway, and saves a lot of hassles. 7-8 times out of 10, the 'offender' gets over after that anyway.
(am very benevolent in the traffic - don't believe in 'the finger')

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
also, passing another car on the right or left is overtaking not undertaking. undertaking is the removal of dead bodies. just being picky.
So true - it's amusing how many people say 'undertaking'.

It's all personal opinion, but i tend to get over or speed up, as it's not good form to hold people up - again, just an opinion.