Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-10-2007, 01:33 PM   #31
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
In the US Ford execs were all driving Jags. Even though they are part of the Ford family, how many people actually know they are owned by Ford.
another reason Ford US isn't going so well - how can they expect people to buy what they won't drive?

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3ts50
In the US Ford execs were all driving Jags. Even though they are part of the Ford family, how many people actually know they are owned by Ford.
Dont know where you heard that; would have thought Linlcons would be more appropiate.

What is/was true in the US is a push to have a certain percentage of the employee car park filled with ford.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 02:30 PM   #33
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Dont know where you heard that; would have thought Linlcons would be more appropiate.

What is/was true in the US is a push to have a certain percentage of the employee car park filled with ford.
There was a big write up about it years ago which pretty much said why would people buy Fords when the men at the top dont. Also, Lincolns are referred to as the Executive on a budget car.

But you are right on the employee car park filled with Fords. But, I think, it mostly applies to the blue collar workers.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 02:44 PM   #34
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xe351
i wonder what car tom gormon drives? he should look at this
Gormans driving a BFII GTP at the moment im told..
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #35
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

That car would be priceless...would easily crack the $1M boundary with out a sweat.
All it takes is one cashed up automotive connoisseur and boom....gone.
Old 25-10-2007, 02:51 PM   #36
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSTerritoryGhia
Gormans driving a BFII GTP at the moment im told..
excellent! i hope its correct

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 08:40 PM   #37
davidclough

sorry shavva but talking to him he remembers it reasonably well, he mentioned that Bill Bourke was an absolute motor head and dad and all the dealers used to go to all the dealer meetings just to listen to Bill apparently he was fantastic.
davidclough is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 09:24 PM   #38
fordAU

XCSEDAN, Thanks for scanning that story, interesting read.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 09:45 PM   #39
xyef351
bent8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpvgtpyaloveit
ok here is an interesting tit bit (well i think so) did you know that Ford brought out one only GT HO with a 428 cobra motor, they had planned to sell it following the 351, it was Black but sadly the Government at the time squashed it and would not let it happen. My dad told me this last night he saw the car in the flesh when it was new. I wonder if it is still about somewhere in its original state, how much would that be worth. :eclipsee_
it was taged by ford australia to as 428, its one of a kind, for one of the ford guys so ive heard, and it was found and bought years later buy one very lucky guy, cheap to, it was in street machine mag a couple years ago.
xyef351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 09:51 PM   #40
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyef351
it was taged by ford australia to as 428, its one of a kind, for one of the ford guys so ive heard, and it was found and bought years later buy one very lucky guy, cheap to, it was in street machine mag a couple years ago.
No it wasnt, this is one of the great myths surounding this car, it was tagged as a T code 351 Windsor auto... the 428 was fitted in the US.. not Broadmeadows..

Old 25-10-2007, 10:57 PM   #41
xyef351
bent8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
No it wasnt, this is one of the great myths surounding this car, it was tagged as a T code 351 Windsor auto... the 428 was fitted in the US.. not Broadmeadows..
no worries i think i read that part in street machine anyway, u here so much u dont know whats true and whats not anymore hey.
Old 25-10-2007, 11:06 PM   #42
Scott

Surely, in the scheme of things, it wouldn't cost Ford/FPV a whole lot of cash to build a ballistic GT and atleast suggest that it could be a reality a'la HSV. Done plenty of times in the past, still done by HSV. Ford don't seem to "day dream" much.

edit - sorry to be random. Reading the above just got me thinking about what happened then and what doesn't happen now.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #43
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
Im quite suprised that people dont build mock-ups of these? Are the regs stopping it? Although Im guessing the price tag on a 428 would be cringe worthy!
theres a rep of bill bourkes car here in adelaide, big block and all..

wonder how long till another "i just heard about this car from the 70's! anyone else know about it??" thread pops up...
Old 25-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #44
xyef351
bent8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
Surely, in the scheme of things, it wouldn't cost Ford/FPV a whole lot of cash to build a ballistic GT and atleast suggest that it could be a reality a'la HSV. Done plenty of times in the past, still done by HSV. Ford don't seem to "day dream" much.

edit - sorry to be random. Reading the above just got me thinking about what happened then and what doesn't happen now.
I second that when will ford wake up and build a mind blower, like these new cobras for instance, they should of built a 2door for the aniversary not a ute, 351 windsor with the 32valves qaud cam. what do u think australia.
Old 26-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #45
Squalo
Two Wheels Good

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyef351
they should of built a 2door for the aniversary not a ute, 351 windsor with the 32valves qaud cam. what do u think australia.
This little corner of Australia is cheering, but unfortunately it'll never happen. Too expensive for no return - Australians have simply never bought enough coupes to make them earners for Ford or Holden. Even the seppos didn't buy enough of the GTOs to keep it alive.

I'm guessing you're suggesting that the current quad cam V8 should have been built to 351 for the Cobra - it's possible that the 5.4 could be taken to 5.8. But it's more likely that the '351' tag will return on a motor that puts out 351kW, a bit like the Boss '302' that powers the new Cobra GT.

If Gorman drives a BF GT, I'd bet that it's his to and from work car, and there's something else he uses when there's no staff around to eyeball it. Not being cynical, it's just that when you have that sort of money, you live that sort of lifestyle (or, your wife makes you live that sort of lifestyle! )
1969 Kombi
Squalo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:56 AM   #46
GT 4eva

oh my god what a car
GT 4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 05:15 PM   #47
XM-221
Show me your boobs!

Quote:
I doubt anyone has.. including Ford!
There's plenty of rumours out there 4Vman ... When I worked at Ford from 89-93 there were plenty of them ... EB, purple with silver GT 351 down the side in huge letters, seen many a time heading out the gate from PE and going out to the proving ground with a decidedly Clevo rumble to it. It was supposedly sold to one of the guys at Product Engineering, almost a total lie, the clevo was a styling/costing exercise as opposed to the injected 5L, the car dissapeared from view for 12months and we were told that it was loaded into a covered in trailer and sent to be crushed at Albert Batty Scrap Metals under supervision.

The only rumour I heard that was confirmed true is that there was an XE ESP Ghia, burnt out, beside a shipping crate out at the proving grounds. So they pushed it into a deep culvert they wanted to fill and graded dirt over it. :togo:
XM-221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 05:54 PM   #48
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM-221
There's plenty of rumours out there 4Vman ... When I worked at Ford from 89-93 there were plenty of them ... EB, purple with silver GT 351 down the side in huge letters, seen many a time heading out the gate from PE and going out to the proving ground with a decidedly Clevo rumble to it. It was supposedly sold to one of the guys at Product Engineering, almost a total lie, the clevo was a styling/costing exercise as opposed to the injected 5L, the car dissapeared from view for 12months and we were told that it was loaded into a covered in trailer and sent to be crushed at Albert Batty Scrap Metals under supervision.

The only rumour I heard that was confirmed true is that there was an XE ESP Ghia, burnt out, beside a shipping crate out at the proving grounds. So they pushed it into a deep culvert they wanted to fill and graded dirt over it. :togo:
Plenty of rumours alright, i thought id heard most till that one.. just goes to show how creative some peoples minds are!

Old 27-10-2007, 05:57 PM   #49
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ah the above car might have been in development, but its at the Ford Discovery Centre. Blue/purple with GT 351 down the side; known as the EA GT concept AFAIK.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 06:11 PM   #50
LUXO_8
windsor user

and it was never blue with the GT striping when out at PE. it was red and looked like a stock EA Ghia.
the blue / kit / GT decals were done at "the gordon institute tafe" in geelong, who made it look pretty for displays.
its still red in the engine bay
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2007, 10:58 PM   #51
10secondET
one day

Quote:
Plenty of rumours alright, i thought id heard most till that one.. just goes to show how creative some peoples minds are!
yeah and im sure you have worked there to know, i have worked at the pg and for a number of years, but O i forgot you know it all
CHI cnc 2v heads
comp 308r solid roller camshaft
torque power single plane manifold
950 quickfuel race carb
pro trans c10 with transbrake
5500 tce converter
3.89 diff gears
10secondET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:16 PM   #52
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10secondET
yeah and im sure you have worked there to know, i have worked at the pg and for a number of years, but O i forgot you know it all
do me a favour, drop the attitude, and next time you need help don't PM me again....

Old 27-10-2007, 11:22 PM   #53
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

From my time on these forums (12 months) i have found 4Vman to be very wealthy on auto knowledge. I still think this way and as far as i know the GT 351 which is on display at the FDC was always a EA. Ford was gonna scrap it but the guys at Gordon TAFE got a hold of it and rebuilt it.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:23 PM   #54
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
From my time on these forums (12 months) i have found 4Vman to be very wealthy on auto knowledge. I still think this way and as far as i know the GT 351 which is on display at the FDC was always a EA. Ford was gonna scrap it but the guys at Gordon TAFE got a hold of it and rebuilt it.
You are right about the EA, and adrian from the DC will confirm it too..

Old 27-10-2007, 11:27 PM   #55
10secondET
one day

Quote:
do me a favour, drop the attitude, and next time you need help don't PM me again....
O im sorry, get the facts first then !!!
CHI cnc 2v heads
comp 308r solid roller camshaft
torque power single plane manifold
950 quickfuel race carb
pro trans c10 with transbrake
5500 tce converter
3.89 diff gears
10secondET is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2007, 11:38 PM   #56
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Time to get back on Topic i think.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 11:44 AM   #57
mavman4200p
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XM-221

I was there then it was a red EA s pack code name jaws it was sent to the US to Jack Rousch and fitted with a 351 windsor it was later painted purple and fitted with a body kit by the apprentices for a GT show/concept car it was then used to develop the body/aero kit for the V8 supercar of the period. Last time I saw it, it was off to the ford Discovery centre. They did dig up an xy gt but it was that rotten it had fallen apart they also found 4V head in the same hole. Heres another rumor to start when i started at the proving ground one of the old mechanics their with 40 odds years service said the next engine after the phase 4 was the cosworth formula one engine of the day and they had 10 engines sitting ready to go in all got burried after Evan Green opened his big mouth. His story not mine.
mavman4200p is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 04:35 PM   #58
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
and it was never blue with the GT striping when out at PE. it was red and looked like a stock EA Ghia.
the blue / kit / GT decals were done at "the gordon institute tafe" in geelong, who made it look pretty for displays.
its still red in the engine bay
It was painted blue by Ford after the R&D had been done on it and had the decals added to be shown as the EA GT351 concept at one of the motorshows. It was then sent to be crushed after they had finished with it. Some of the PD guys didn't want it to be crushed so they hid it somewhere inside the proving ground where it was dicovered about 10 years later. It was then sent to the Gordon to be restored. I remember seeing it inside the spray booth when I was attending the Gordon in 99, and I thought thats a pretty good looking EA, I wonder who's it is. A little bit later it was revealed as the EA GT351 protype which was a bit of a spinout. It was still red in the engine bay when I saw it being restored.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 04:53 PM   #59
LUXO_8
windsor user

ah ok i didnt realise it was painted blue at ford before its duties were over.......... you hear so many different stories..
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2007, 05:05 PM   #60
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
thats a shame it never got the go ahead. a 428 powered phase 4 would have thrashed the xu2s
a 428 HO verses a 308 LC torrie
well in cercuit racing you must turn left eventualy,
so when you open the drivers door and stick your foot out
it depends on how much tread you dunlop volley's have.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post