Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2011, 01:10 PM   #31
ray38l

Default Re: RACV backs global call for fuel tax switch

Maybe the government should do something to make v8's cheaper and not worry about a per kilometre charge.
It would be win win. People will be happy driving a real car and the government get there money.
ray38l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 03:29 PM   #32
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
it doesn't matter as much what you drive because the cost of fuel is much lower.
i can't see the govt NOT trying to encourage people to buy small fuel efficient cars. certainly a km tax would be preferable to fuel tax if you own a performance car... hey, i own a performance car....
Old 07-06-2011, 04:33 PM   #33
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So you will be paying the same tax whether you do your yearly 20,000kms in a Prius or a V12?
Damn bring this on, drop the price of fuel and my next car will be a supercharged V8.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 04:41 PM   #34
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Lower the cost of rego / licence fees. Add all revenue lost to the fuel tax. =win win. More cars for me, whilst still helping people choose economical cars
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:17 PM   #35
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
OR

How about moving all the public servants out of the city centres to regional low rise eco friendly natural lighted and cooled enclaves.

Thes could be situated along a rail corridore with regular transport back to the cities and not be accessible to private cars.

Much lower energy use.
Much smaller traffic jams.
Stimulus to building.
Decentralisation.

Of course it would mean government playing their part rather than making everyone else pay for their "luxury lifestyles"........
Flappist for PM !!
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #36
Carby

I think the RACV's idea is rubbish. Those of us who have to travel further to our jobs will suffer just because we can't afford a House/Apartment in the city.

Tell you what -I'll support the idea if they make those people who use public transport more, pay on a KM basis as well, I mean those buses, trains and trams must cost a fortune to maintain and I hardly ever use them!!
Carby is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #37
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Making changes in registration charges can still determine the cars people drive, thus there fuel consumption... Done in the EU and even here in Tassie to a certain extent.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #38
Spudz27
Call me Spud

So the government want to make me pay to drive 1000km every time I want to visit my family and allow my kids to see their grandmother and aunt and uncle. Same applies to them visiting us. Let's say they charge 25c per km driven. It will cost me$250 plus fuel. A stupid idea like this will mean I never leave town. Same for medical appointments and I have a few each year in the city.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

An even easier way to ease congestion would be to make parking stations illegal within a 10 km zone of the city centre.
If you kill any chance of parking a car in the city then there's no reason to take a car to work anymore....

QED, now gimme the money..he he I should be on a government stink...er, think tank
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2011, 08:09 AM   #40
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

City folk will like it, semi rural and rural folk won't. One world GovCo agenda.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post