Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 16-07-2010, 06:27 PM   #31
Joshmcmillan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have 2 BA's. Both VERY nice cars. They seem extremely refined. But all you'd have to do is test drive it and you'll see whether you think the same thing. Maybe test drive a low K's BA to compare to? I know ours you can easily notice the difference between our one with 65,000k's and the one with 137,000.

FG XR6 Turbo, 6 Speed Manual, Silhouette .

12/78 XC Ford Fairmont Project Car. (351, 5spd)
Build Thread: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11444473

1968 Ford F350 LWB Dually. 300 Six, 4 speed. Beavertail project.

Joshmcmillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 06:49 PM   #32
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Why post a thread like this in the AU area? Of course you will hear all praise for the AU and heap it on the BA, i wont voice my opinion as most will know the answer. But lets not turn this into which is better thanks
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2010, 07:12 PM   #33
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Its a $3200.00 car. What more do you want for your money?
Old 18-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #34
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
Its a $3200.00 car. What more do you want for your money?
Pretty much spot on there.

$3200 for a 7 year old vehicle is not bad really.
If the vehicle has been serviced regularly it shouldn't have too many dramas.

With high km cars though you will always get inherent problems due to this ... it just depends if you want to spend the $$$$ on getting this sorted or not.

I do miss some of the things from my old AU ... but now in a B-series .... there's a number of things though that I don't miss as well.

It's a natural progression as vehicles age ... you do end up upgrading as time goes on.

In the end ... it is up to you ... drive the vehicle and see if you like it or not ... and not just a short drive ... take it for a bit more of a drive if you can (shouldn't be an issue if it has high kays on it already surely). You yourself have to be happy with the vehicle. There's a few ex-AU owners that have gone to B-series now and seem quite happy with their purchases.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2010, 12:39 PM   #35
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Being over 6 foot, the only thing i like about my AU is space. Everything else seems so much more refined in the BA. Cant wait for my BF MKII in a couple of weeks.
Old 18-07-2010, 12:40 PM   #36
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

You upgrading again???
ute or sedan???
Old 18-07-2010, 12:54 PM   #37
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

wagon
Old 18-07-2010, 01:12 PM   #38
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Going to mod it???
Turn it into a GHIA wagon like I am turning my ute into a GHIA ute :P
Petrol or LPG???
Old 18-07-2010, 01:16 PM   #39
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Sent you a PM simon.
Old 20-07-2010, 07:10 PM   #40
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

Hi there Mr Hardware, here's my 2 bobs worth.
If you really like your current AU, and the body's nice and straight and the interior is in good nick, then I'd spend the $3200 on getting a reco engine etc and keep it another 5 years. You know the auto etc is good.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 08:06 PM   #41
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217
No one can really speak for yourself regarding a purchase its your choice.

I really couldn't put myself in your shoes as I wouldn't even consider buying it Ba or not with 400k's no matter what been rebuilt.....
Agree with that...I wouldn't even buy it for my teenage son as a first car and I love the B series.....Many may not agree with me but I've been around awhile and owned a few cars and the ones that gave the most grief were the high milers....reliability factor = zero
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 10:13 PM   #42
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Agree with that...I wouldn't even buy it for my teenage son as a first car and I love the B series.....Many may not agree with me but I've been around awhile and owned a few cars and the ones that gave the most grief were the high milers....reliability factor = zero
To counter that I'm on my fourth AU, combined mileage between them is nearly 1.7 million km, Ive done nearly 130k in them and only been let down by a split heater hose (my fault, lack of maintenance), O2 sensor in my old Fairlane and my current Fairmonts LCD display isn't working. Pretty good run I'd say.
At the end of the day an early BA is 8 years old, if mileage doesn't get the better of it time will. At 400k most major thing would hav been dealt to, some parts maybe coming up for round two. I believe the OP is a mechanic so no worries there.
For that price I'd rather a higher series privately owned AU personally.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 10:21 PM   #43
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Being an AU fan i am going to be a little partial to it. From my experience of driving a BA1 XT for at least a week:

The BA feels like an executive sort of car, not in a luxurious way. The SSS provides a lot of primitive thrills, but the BA definitely felt heavier to steer. Those chunky 15" steelies really did not help the cause and I found the steering wheel inappropriate for the XT model (having driven BA XR8s and GTs). Its a lot more sure-footed than the AU, but I found it far less engaging to drive. Which is naturally not the purpose of the models in question, but something I grew to enjoy about the AU.
Theres no doubt its a big, comfy and heavy car which makes it ideal for leisurely drives. I also found myself visiting the bowser more often in the BA too. I dont know how this would go for LPG, but given power outputs are identical I would say the BAs fat bum would make it more a guzzleslug in theory.

Plus like others have mentioned, the BA has greater potential for things to go wrong with it. Due to more sophisicated equipment. The AU is a simple car by modern standards, which has contributed to its virtual indestructiveness.

My 2c as requested, but in the end its up to what YOU would like and what makes YOU happy. After all, thats what car ownership is all about.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2010, 10:23 PM   #44
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Mr Hardware?.... Mechanic?!....... *rolls around laughing*..... ask him why they 'really' let him work on cabs.... i'll give you a hint... he has small hands :P
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 09:12 AM   #45
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
Theres no doubt its a big, comfy and heavy car which makes it ideal for leisurely drives. I also found myself visiting the bowser more often in the BA too. I dont know how this would go for LPG, but given power outputs are identical I would say the BAs fat bum would make it more a guzzleslug in theory.
single Vs double OHC, 168kw Vs 184kwBarra, how are Power outputs identical?
Old 21-07-2010, 09:53 AM   #46
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_au
Mr Hardware?.... Mechanic?!....... *rolls around laughing*..... ask him why they 'really' let him work on cabs.... i'll give you a hint... he has small hands :P
wow quitting the smokes has turned you into a grumposaurus

mont 5.0, i think he's read the egas figures. but at any rate, power to weight ratio difference between stock au and stock ba is approaching zero. and yes i would imagine like scotty said that they'd be more thirsty because of weight.

This thread has really helped me a lot actually, because it has confirmed my feelings of sitting on the fence.
Old 21-07-2010, 02:01 PM   #47
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

so whats the outcome mr hardware?
Old 21-07-2010, 02:07 PM   #48
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

i'm gonna borrow it soonish. i shall report back, you guys'll be the first to know my experience & decision.

if the choice was up to mrs hardware and grandpa spec, i'd be staying in the AU for lyfe yo
Old 21-07-2010, 04:31 PM   #49
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BA over the AU any day of the year.

Oh, and SVI over mixer any day of the year too!
Old 21-07-2010, 05:40 PM   #50
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0
single Vs double OHC, 168kw Vs 184kwBarra, how are Power outputs identical?
We are talking LPG motors here. I am unsure of how the SVI works, it may put out the same as the Barra petrol, I just went off Fords factory unit.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #51
AMB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always has a helpful answer in the technical sections, wether it's giving information on a simple diagnosis with a small issue, Helping someone fix their car if they are stuck on removing/installing something, or just need information on what works how. 

No people, we are talking about a cheap $3200 BA with 400K on the clock, unknown history, possibly due for a lot of spending, versus a well maintained AUII with an engine that's getting a bit tired after 760K. If the BA looks really nice inside and out, then yes well worth spending the money on it.
AMB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 06:41 PM   #52
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
We are talking LPG motors here. I am unsure of how the SVI works, it may put out the same as the Barra petrol, I just went off Fords factory unit.
Yep. Sorry my bad.
Old 21-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #53
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
BA over the AU any day of the year.

Oh, and SVI over mixer any day of the year too!
Yeah...... NOT, im not a sheep. This isnt the LPG forum either so if you wanna talk BBQ's go to the correct area.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 21-07-2010, 09:11 PM   #54
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Yeah...... NOT, im not a sheep. This isnt the LPG forum either so if you wanna talk BBQ's go to the correct area.
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that the world is all about you and nobody else...
Old 21-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #55
04baford

i would buy it the ba is a much better car than the au. when you think about it some people are selling efs dearer than this .as said before if it is good inside and the body is ok. go for it .
04baford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #56
diatribal08

Hey if you like it go for it AU BA both Fords both awesome
diatribal08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2010, 10:08 PM   #57
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Or just give the BA to Mrs Hardware, im sure she'd like it, then you can join me in being poor
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-07-2010, 06:01 PM   #58
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoweredByCNG
Oh, I'm sorry. I forgot that the world is all about you and nobody else...
NO the world isnt about me at all, but im not going to have a which LPG is better thread, but thanks for your opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04baford
i would buy it the ba is a much better car than the au.
Based on? Love to hear
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 22-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #59
PoweredByCNG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
NO the world isnt about me at all, but im not going to have a which LPG is better thread, but thanks for your opinion
The OP asked for opinions. I gave my opinion. If you don't like it then maybe you should reconsider your position as a moderator.
Old 22-07-2010, 10:38 PM   #60
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

In the end .... you NEED to drive it ... and it comes down to the feel of the drive of the vehicle.

There's going to be pluses and minuses in regards to looking at upgrading ... and I can tell you are well aware of that.

There's a number of die-hard AU fans that did eventually move on (myself and Taxi-Pak for instance). There's a few of us that can safely compare the 2 vehicle. But it also comes down to luck in the end. Some of us have had a few bad experiences ... others good.

I upgraded for reliability issues for my line of work ... and I can say I am happy with it. Sad to see the old girl go as well, but it was time she was retired from my sort of duties.

Stock EGAS for stock EGAS ... I can safely say the following:
AUII better economy (due to weight and aerodynamics differences) ... not much in it though .. 0.5-1L/100km approx on average.
BFII better pull ... everywhere ... even though it is heavier ... response is much different.
AUII is lighter (as mentioned)
BFII stock headlights are MUCH better than AUII (with driving lights) ... I know it too as you well know my previous setup.
Interior is borderline ... AUII seats were more snug ... BFII has a clean centre console that is very intuitive.
Handling is hard to tell as my AUII was lowered for a long time. But the BFII feels just as good stock as the AUII was lowered and modified.
BFII ... exterior looks comparing base models it's a winner here.
EDIT: BFII LPG senders actually work properly and are accurate ... surprise surprise.

That's my personal views on experience of both vehicles.

As i said ... drive it ... you make the decision in the end.

Looking forward to your actual views from you experience.