Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-09-2008, 02:48 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupex
The USA has not fallen in love with the G8.
Sales have been well below the expected 3-4000 mth averaging 1500 mth.
Pontiac are discounting G8's at "employee price to all" to try and clear stock, G8 sedan (SV6) $25500, G8 GT (SS) $27800us.
Correct.. the car hasn't done very well at all in sales relative to the size of their market. 1500 units/m is the equivalent of about 100 units per month here.
The US have not fallen in love with it at all.

Old 26-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #32
Sprint347
Tickford

From speaking with some contacts in the USA I hear the G8 isn't overly popular, like the GTO (CV8) wasn't?
SZ Territory TS RWD TDCi
Sprint347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #33
AusM
AusMotorsport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
Don't blame them, it's a great car.
I have my eyes on the new hsv tourer sportswagon.... it's an awesome looking machine, I wonder if they will be sending them abroad as well?
I'm pretty sure the exchange rate has killed off Holden exports for the moment...
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 04:27 PM   #34
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another bloody VE thread!!!

I propose we ban all VE related talk...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #35
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Another bloody VE thread!!!

I propose we ban all VE related talk...

Careful mate, your one eyed view, one in which I was earlier accused of having in this thread, may get you into hot water. I agree with you 100% though.
Old 26-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #36
fordlova8
FEARsome 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by banarcus
Careful mate, your one eyed view, one in which I was earlier accused of having in this thread, may get you into hot water. I agree with you 100% though.
Here Here!

1978 429 XC Fairmont GXHELL.
fordlova8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 05:35 PM   #37
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Yer exactely what a load of ROT !!
I have been going there for over 10yrs on business mixed with attending the SEMA show.
Since release of the Pontiac/commodore I have seen 1 and that was the Pedders promo car at the show. Success ? phhht ! and what the heck are we talking about the POS. Seems the marketing is getting to everyone here as well LOL......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #38
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIK516
great news for holden and GM and i congratulate all the designers and engineers that put the time and effort into the car.
And lets not forget....a BUTTLOAD OF MONEY
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 07:30 PM   #39
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
Would you (or anyone else here) know if these sales are added on to the total number of monthly Commodore sales?
Nah mate only cars registered in oz.

Bluedriver- so your saying you only saw 1 in the US? Damm I saw 5 VE stato's in Shanghi.
Old 26-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #40
Sprint XR8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Correct.. the car hasn't done very well at all in sales relative to the size of their market. 1500 units/m is the equivalent of about 100 units per month here.
The US have not fallen in love with it at all.
There are over 2700 pontiac dealers in the usa,thats less than one G8 sale per dealer per month.
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 08:55 PM   #41
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
Nah mate only cars registered in oz.

Bluedriver- so your saying you only saw 1 in the US? Damm I saw 5 VE stato's in Shanghi.
Yep last years 2wk stay end of Oct into Nov only 1....look they got to be out there for sure I'll keep a count when I'm there end of next month again.
Funny you mention Shanghai been there 3 times to date this year (admittedly overnight though half day with a driver) and will be there again in 2wks on the way down south, I haven't seen a wagon, will post after this trip.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 09:09 PM   #42
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i think youell find that the G8 will last one year till the yank's tool up for full production,
and make it home grown us style, the president and the union's have said this many times.
"american cars will be made by american's" (george bush sr )
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i think youell find that the G8 will last one year till the yank's tool up for full production,
and make it home grown us style, the president and the union's have said this many times.
"american cars will be made by american's" (george bush sr )
It its current sales trend continues i doubt they'll other....

Old 26-09-2008, 09:18 PM   #44
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
It its current sales trend continues i doubt they'll Bother....
yep you are right munro comes to mind.
but i think this will allway stand for holden.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2008, 09:30 PM   #45
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

yes i wouldnt like to be relieing on money from the us for quite a while ,in this climate it is not any car failing ,but no market .
cheap and economical vehicles may hold up but ,if you cant afford to live you aint gunna go buying a new car .
exporting to such a market may actually cost more than the profit
Old 26-09-2008, 10:06 PM   #46
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Americans dont seem to want to pay decent money for a Pontiac.
GM ruined Pontiacs image with crap cars for many years.

Plus a lot say its to Euro looking.
Needs screaming Eagles and ripply cladding.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2008, 12:55 AM   #47
IDT
Marko

Quote:

Lets not forget for one moment how close Ford/GM/Chrysler are to shutting shop altogether, thus any hasty decisions made could well and truly mean their end.
Ford are no where near shutting shop. Who says they are? As for hasty decisions, where does procrastination get them?

Ford like GM and Toyota are truly global companies, whose decisions are not based on the success of any single model. Little Ford does is quick let alone knee jerk, but a hell of a lot is way too slow and very reactionary all be it often so late it is expected (at least in this country). i.e. return of the V8, FPV V's HSV. Active Stability Control etc etc
Old 27-09-2008, 08:11 AM   #48
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
Ford are no where near shutting shop. Who says they are? As for hasty decisions, where does procrastination get them?

Ford like GM and Toyota are truly global companies, whose decisions are not based on the success of any single model. Little Ford does is quick let alone knee jerk, but a hell of a lot is way too slow and very reactionary all be it often so late it is expected (at least in this country). i.e. return of the V8, FPV V's HSV. Active Stability Control etc etc
Okay, if this article is fundamentally flawed in it's information, implying Holden's export of the VE is a success, and also ignoring the fact GM have put an end to the global Zeta platform, why is it a bad idea to then tell those who are singing it's (GTO's) praise earlier in this thread that this ISN'T the path Ford should take? It's a flop, and they (the posters) are saying that it is a failure (for Ford) if Ford is NOT mimicking a flop. The hastiness and knee-jerk reaction I'm talking about is pointed at the majority of readers buying into what is a misleading article. Ford aren't procrastinating and instead, as mentioned before, have a longer term strategy that looks a lot more robust and fruitful than GM's.
Old 27-09-2008, 09:00 AM   #49
ORSM-XT
ORSM Ford Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
Don't blame them, it's a great car.
I have my eyes on the new hsv tourer sportswagon.... it's an awesome looking machine, I wonder if they will be sending them abroad as well?

The Holden Sportswagon is an exterior copy of the Chrysler 300c SRT Touring Wagon.
Old 27-09-2008, 10:14 AM   #50
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberboy1991
The Holden Sportswagon is an exterior copy of the Chrysler 300c SRT Touring Wagon.
The sportswagon looks better.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2008, 02:46 AM   #51
IDT
Marko

Quote:
Okay, if this article is fundamentally flawed in it's information, implying Holden's export of the VE is a success, and also ignoring the fact GM have put an end to the global Zeta platform, why is it a bad idea to then tell those who are singing it's (GTO's) praise earlier in this thread that this ISN'T the path Ford should take? It's a flop, and they (the posters) are saying that it is a failure (for Ford) if Ford is NOT mimicking a flop. The hastiness and knee-jerk reaction I'm talking about is pointed at the majority of readers buying into what is a misleading article. Ford aren't procrastinating and instead, as mentioned before, have a longer term strategy that looks a lot more robust and fruitful than GM's.
I stand corrected on the knee jerk reaction, I also don't think it a bad idea for Ford Oz to follow a good idea such as export. Just don't do it so damned slowly (hence procastinate about it) As for Fords long term strategy, I rather think we should be developing new models in Oz rather than building another countries design (Focus). When it comes to technology in general, we tend to export people with brains at a much faster rate than the products of people with brains.
Old 28-09-2008, 04:23 AM   #52
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAForce8
I stand corrected on the knee jerk reaction, I also don't think it a bad idea for Ford Oz to follow a good idea such as export. Just don't do it so damned slowly (hence procastinate about it) As for Fords long term strategy, I rather think we should be developing new models in Oz rather than building another countries design (Focus). When it comes to technology in general, we tend to export people with brains at a much faster rate than the products of people with brains.
Yes, I can agree with your way of thought. The problem Ford Au have is they have no say in how they spend their cash, and Ford HQ makes all these decisions. Yes, the product is great when considering the budget, thus if they had a decent budget to design a platform they'd no doubt come up with something that is phenomenal. They (Ford Au) do have a major role to play in the next GRWD, and they're already working on a global light truck (T6) which shouldn't be too far from completion. So, as I see it, Ford HQ do recognise Ford Au's engineering excellence and have been included in strategies for the future. The focus on Focus is purely based on where the market is heading.
Old 28-09-2008, 05:18 PM   #53
Wally
XP Coupe

Was the G8 supposed to be a volume seller?

Looking at the various G8 Nation articles everyone seems tickled pink with it. The average "on the dealer lot" time in July was 11 days, while the M5 was 165 days. This made the G8 the 8th fastest selling sedan in the US.

I really don't know as much about the G8, but apparently the 2008 model has been been gazumped by the sales of the 2009 model.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post