Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-06-2015, 09:30 PM   #31
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Default Re: HSV VF GTS performance figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUwindsor View Post
Low 12's after all these years..... pfft.

Back in 2004 my VTii R8 did low 12's 1/4 at the drag strip with nothing but a tune and exhaust. 11.8's with a 224 camshaft.

New corvette does 10 sec 1/4's. Nissan 35 GTR did low 11's .. etc, bet the new one is even quicker , I haven't even looked. and so on... all global "performance" vehicles are now way ahead
It's simple physics. trying to accelerate 2 tonnes is a lot harder than 1.7 tonnes.
Considering the shortfalls and compromises with the HSV and FPV cars , they do pretty damned well.

Whack the S/C Miami in a focus and see how it goes....

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2015, 10:45 PM   #32
nz13boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBenny View Post
I have no issues with admitting the GTS is faster. It should be too considering the price tag, equipment and tyres fitted but in my opinion they dropped the ball with the engine fitted to the car. Most powerful Aussie built car ever made, ah nope. 430kw, ah nope. The rest of the car is great.

Benny.
Fair call.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 12:20 AM   #33
Robos F6

I'm still yet to see any GT/GTF beat the GTS in acceleration in any book. Only on the dyno
Robos F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 01:15 AM   #34
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAGPIE View Post
Ain't no Aurion Presara though.
The Aurion? the car that will be around longer than the Falcon you mean?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 01:59 AM   #35
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
The Aurion? the car that will be around longer than the Falcon you mean?
There were no Aurions back in 1961, last time I checked?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 02:04 AM   #36
chrisandsharon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

geez if this thread isn't trolling I don't know what is.......lucky you didn't start it Hulk.
chrisandsharon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 02:07 AM   #37
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
There were no Aurions back in 1961, last time I checked?
1961? when ford aus the great "aussie" company sold a Yank car?
ok.
who pulls the strings again?
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 07:26 AM   #38
Dash_XR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by asagaai View Post
This is silly nuanced cherry picking. What about the fact that the Miami blows the forced barra out the water from 4,500 upwards...

The forced barra is a great engine, as is the Miami. Different engines doing different things.

The forced barra works very well with auto, especially for the straight acceleration guys- that is what I thought driving a worked F6, the auto and torque converter helps with the turbo spool and minimising lag. Also the changes with the auto with torque converter keep spool up.

The Miami works better in manual (as there is no boost spool required and the power is immediate and linear), and is great for the guys who like linear power on corners, as you can feel precisely what power is being fed through the engine/clutch gearbox to get the precise power needed in the corner.

Bit puerile to say one engine is better than the other- that is the beauty with engineering, it can result in very different engineering being very potent in very specific and different applications.

Sometimes I wonder if the people who go to print with comments on these machines, have actually driven and really experienced this great machinery we have on tap (at the moment) for astoundingly cheap money relative to what else is out there.
Very little lag on a tuned manual with small turbo. Until humans can physically move their left arm and leg as fast as an automatic can change gears then autos will always be faster regardless of engine type and setup.

Manual is more fun to drive and auto is faster, simple as that.
Rapid Systems Intercooler & Battery Relocation - ID 1000 Injectors - Process West Surge Tank - Venom 100 Cell Bolt On Cat - XForce 3.5 inch Catback - Plazmaman 4 inch Turboside Intake - Crow HD Valve Springs - Glowshift Gauges (Oil temp, Oil Pressure, Boost, Volt) - Malwood Opt 5 - XR50 Interior - FG2 Limited Ed 19's - Nitto Invo's

Dash_XR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 09:35 AM   #39
Sioso
irregular member

I drive a stock (apart from KPM intake & fatter rubber) XR6T ute and in the current conditions it is making way more 270kw.
Past 2 mornings have been minus 4 degrees and this turbo just sings!!!
I really can't believe how much harder it is going, I'd love to dyno test it at this temp or put it down the strip, it actually feels as quick as the GTP335 I used to own!
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #40
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
Latest rumour from Ls1 site about series 2 VF -

Redline Series 2 to get a 325kw LS3 with bi-modal exhaust.

New Clubsport "R" to get a detuned 400kw LSA (and big diff from GTS)

No mention of a GTS "R".....yet.
A clubsport with the GTS driveline will be fantastic BFYB. Wonder how much it will be detuned, maybe something like FPV did with the GS?

GTS-R might come along closer to the end of commodore production, if it comes it will be biblical, the GTS is very good platform to start with...
Old 04-06-2015, 12:10 PM   #41
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't see them doing anything major with the engines. Why would they? Their only competitor in that segment trickles cars out in limited numbers, so there's no real reason to spend big $$$ updating a car that's reaching the end of its model run.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 12:17 PM   #42
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
I have no issues with admitting the GTS is faster. It should be too considering the price tag, equipment and tyres fitted but in my opinion they dropped the ball with the engine fitted to the car. Most powerful Aussie built car ever made, ah nope. 430kw, ah nope. The rest of the car is great.

Benny.
I wouldn't say they dropped the ball simply because a power run on a dyno doesn't back up the fact that it's quicker over 400m with (importantly) more MPH on board whilst also being a heavier car with a heavier duty driveline and larger wheels. There are a few things working against the GTS in straight lines but it still gets the job done, I don't think it's fair to say they dropped the ball. Both teams did well with these final iterations.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 01:33 PM   #43
Parfrey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They will have more mid range torque (which is easy, its a big donk) compared to the 5.0l, but peak power is pretty similar. The point is the badge says otherwise!

They are only just quicker over a 1/4 mile, not sure what people are getting out of them but haven't heard of any under 12.1-12.2? Which is basicallty .1 or .2 quicker than a GT/GTF..
Old 04-06-2015, 01:37 PM   #44
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

More a case of Ford under-quoting than HSV over-quoting.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:42 PM   #45
GTBenny
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My comment is not due to the power run nor the quarter mile time. It's directed at the LSA engine. Personally I think it's old hat, but what isn't old hat when it comes to Chev engines. The LSA doesn't come near the Coyote for capability. It surprises me to see the amount of money and mods going into the LSA GTS cars only to match what the Coyote can do tune only.

If GM aren't overstating the power then they must have some serious losses going on to have 120kw less at the rear wheels.

Benny.
GT 335 MKII, ZF6, Tein coilovers, YT snout, 61mm pulley, KPM 1500HP fuel system, 1000cc injectors, E85, KPM exhaust, BMC air filter, KPM Streetfighter intercooler, built tail shaft, Truetrac, 479rwkw - 950nm.
GTBenny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 02:05 PM   #46
Dave R

Well absolutely in that regard the 5.0 is far superior. Also helps that the factory exhaust and cats on the FPVs are very good. The LSA could have come out in the 90s and it still wouldn't have been cutting edge.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:31 PM   #47
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
If GM aren't overstating the power then they must have some serious losses going on to have 120kw less at the rear wheels.

Benny.
ECE vs DIM?
Old 04-06-2015, 02:40 PM   #48
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
120??? which cars are you comparing?
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #49
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:

Benny.
Heavy duty driveline?
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 02:47 PM   #50
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My comment is not due to the power run nor the quarter mile time. It's directed at the LSA engine. Personally I think it's old hat, but what isn't old hat when it comes to Chev engines. The LSA doesn't come near the Coyote for capability. It surprises me to see the amount of money and mods going into the LSA GTS cars only to match what the Coyote can do tune only.

Benny.
A tune only GT is just as fast as a GTS with numerous mods
Old 04-06-2015, 03:42 PM   #51
Dave R

GTS tends to require a full exhaust and pulley to record similar figures to a tune-only GT (again, standard Ford exhaust is good). However the GT will require an intercooler to make that power consistently and reliably. So neither car has a distinct cost advantage when lightly tickled.
Old 04-06-2015, 04:32 PM   #52
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Until the first corner?
4 users like this post:
Old 04-06-2015, 04:41 PM   #53
Chopped
as in chopped

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
I don't see them doing anything major with the engines. Why would they? Their only competitor in that segment trickles cars out in limited numbers, so there's no real reason to spend big $$$ updating a car that's reaching the end of its model run.
One last chance to get the Holden faithful to upgrade their current cars (VEs, VFs etc). If they leave the engines as are, then the sales will decline rapidly over the next two years.

Look what Ford did with the XR8, it's pretty close to an R Spec GT. Also they look like bringing out an F6 with XR6 Turbo badges.

It's all about the sales.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:12 PM   #54
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Benny.
Hi Benny,

I hear your argument but must admit that there is more to a car than just HP well for me anyway. I have driven a GTS and i like the seating position. For some reason the seats are too high in a Falcon. Cant get the steering wheel high enough, The steering and handling of the GTS is a fair bit better though and i am comparing it to R-spec susp falcons. The std GT susp is too soft. Overall yes i thought the GTS was a better car. its also say 20k more than a GT-P but when you're spending 80k spend an extra 20 and buy the better car. Ohh and as for the bloke who made mention about the I6 turbo powerplant. This engine is a marvel of Australian engineering and a Miami v8 doesnt even come close.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #55
701let

Quote:
When you say numerous mods what do you mean? There's a performance shop that recorded high 10s out of one on street tyres with a pulley upgrade, extractors and hi flow cats, Cai, and a tune.

Pretty basic mods. What times are coming out of tune only GTs?
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 07:00 PM   #56
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post
When you say numerous mods what do you mean? There's a performance shop that recorded high 10s out of one on street tyres with a pulley upgrade, extractors and hi flow cats, Cai, and a tune.

I think you misunderstood 40RDT’s post.

He's asking a question of GTBenny’s post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBenny

Benny.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT
Old 04-06-2015, 07:15 PM   #57
701let

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
I think you misunderstood 40RDT’s post.

He's asking a question of GTBenny’s post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT
Oops my bad!

In that case, GTBenny, the same question applies?
701let is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2015, 08:38 PM   #58
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 701let View Post

I highly doubt there is anything under 11 for a tune only GT

Are you talking about Active Automotives GTS in WA? I think it has run a mid 10 with those mods, on stock rubber too. Good number for such minimal mods
Old 04-06-2015, 08:46 PM   #59
futura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I highly doubt there is anything under 11 for a tune only GT

Are you talking about Active Automotives GTS in WA? I think it has run a mid 10 with those mods, on stock rubber too. Good number for such minimal mods
Stock rubber running mid 10s? What type of stock rubber are we talking here again?
Old 04-06-2015, 09:10 PM   #60
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by futura View Post
Stock rubber running mid 10s? What type of stock rubber are we talking here again?
275 Continental ContiSportContact 5P