Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2016, 12:46 AM   #31
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Post Falcon

Stuff da turass

hideous thing
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 12:49 AM   #32
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabantien View Post
I'm hoping to get a good few years yet out of my Falcon.
Based on what's around at the moment? I pretty much want a Mustang.
I'd like the 8, but that's closing in on 1k rego here in Queensland, so I think the EcoBoost would do me just fine.

I also like the look of the new Mondeos, and the Trend is better specced than my G6E.
But I don't know how i'll go with a slower car. It feels like the only way is up, and I may not enjoy driving it.

Actually, the lack of digital speedo bugs me too. I've really come to enjoy having one!
I'd love a Mustang too, but there's no way I can have two toys and for me the Typhoon trumps the stang every day of the week, so no Mustang.

Mondeo looks nice has lots of kit, but it isn't a 'desirable'car for me. So why spells money on something that I don't 'want'? I'm not an A to B kind of guy, which means I want something I don't want to get out of.

And an SUV, only for the wife! And that's only because she 'wants one' just that little more than a V8 falcon. And it has to be a performance luxury SUV at that. F6X is the desired SUV for her or the Ghia Turbo. Otherwise again, is a German SUV with get up and go.

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Mr Brooksy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 03:52 AM   #33
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Taurus is LHD only, and Ford Australia have already ruled out a replacement for Falcon, Mondeo will be the big car.
Yay??
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 08:45 AM   #34
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

What about motoring magazines?

I find that I am not interested in many of the cars featured in motoring magazines. It seems they either SUVs or more expensive European cars.

I didn't realise how much I read about Falcons and Commodores and after the final cars from these manufacturers are gone I probably won't be buying the car magazines.
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 21-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #35
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpsi View Post
Stuff da turass

hideous thing
Really? Sure, it's a bit 'Americanised' but I still think it looks pretty good...

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 11:26 AM   #36
fgpsi
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
Really? Sure, it's a bit 'Americanised' but I still think it looks pretty good...

The asian version looks better, more like the falcon
fgpsi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #37
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
7th gen made in China Taurus looks like a stretched Fusion/Mondeo, both are built from the same platform. but its 4" longer even that the American Taurus

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...led-for-china/
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #38
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Numerous helpful how-to's and sound advice! 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
7th gen made in China Taurus looks like a stretched Fusion/Mondeo, both are built from the same platform. but its 4" longer even that the American Taurus

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/20...led-for-china/
Interior space is a huge selling point for the Chinese! That's why Audi offer the (L) versions here amongst other manufacturers with lengthened versions.

I wonder where the extra 4 inches actually is. Before the rear wheels for cabin space, after for boot space or a bit of both? Anyone know if the Chinese Taurus is FWD, AWD or RWD (highly doubt it's RWD though, even though Chinese like RWD too)

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 21-04-2016, 01:47 PM   #39
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007
7th gen made in China Taurus looks like a stretched Fusion/Mondeo, both are built from the same platform.
No, different platforms. Fusion/Mondeo are CD4.1, Taurus is CD4.3
Same Family but different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Brooksy View Post
I wonder where the extra 4 inches actually is. Before the rear wheels for cabin space, after for boot space or a bit of both? Anyone know if the Chinese Taurus is FWD, AWD or RWD (highly doubt it's RWD though, even though Chinese like RWD too)
Rear Doors. It is also wider.
FWD only.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 02:42 PM   #40
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo View Post
No, different platforms. Fusion/Mondeo are CD4.1, Taurus is CD4.3
Same Family but different.
Fair enough, just quoting the article. I guess its a variation because of the length change.

So why do the Chinese prefer the bigger back seat?
I would generalise that they are shorter than Americans, but they did have that giant 7ft6 basketball player..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 03:26 PM   #41
Bossxr8
Peter Car

High numbers of chauffeured owners isn't it?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #42
Mr Brooksy
Youth worker

Unhappy Re: Post Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Fair enough, just quoting the article. I guess its a variation because of the length change.

So why do the Chinese prefer the bigger back seat?
I would generalise that they are shorter than Americans, but they did have that giant 7ft6 basketball player..
Yes, they are generally shorter. The south is shorter (where I live) about 5 foot 5 inches and the closer to Russia you get the taller they are! I literally walk around and the top of their heads reach my arm pit.

The space in the back is about luxury feel. The more room in the back seat (many with money will have a driver) the more they feel it's a status symbol. Sports cars are not nearly as sort after as we are used to in Australia. They want the status symbol.

But we digress...

2011 SZ Territory

Old Futura thread:
Brooksy's Ex Build
Old 21-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #43
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
High numbers of chauffeured owners isn't it?
Correct. Not many owner drivers.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 03:53 PM   #44
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And so it should considering Ford Aust sketched it....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 08:08 PM   #45
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That Chinese Taurus actually looks really nice, wouldn't mind one of those myself.

Honestly speaking, post falcon I'll probably be looking at whatever sedan ford's offering or an Insignia. I definitely can't do with any less than a 6 cylinder, that's for certain.

Ideally speaking a Taurus would be a great replacement for the falcon. Especially the SHO, with the 3.5L V6 AWD.

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 08:38 PM   #46
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all....watch this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUEQHn7GtGA This is a review that says it all...."Trying to satisfy a Global market doesn't work for all"...My point from this is this....IF Ford indeed do bring the Mondeo to Australia to replace Falcon the they'd better leave the ****y little ecoboost engines out of it and focus on the V6's , 2.5's ecoboosts etc..not on stuff like this in the review...PLEASE LISTEN FORD...Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2016, 10:50 PM   #47
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking in the ford global portfolio for a falcon replacement is just wishing upon a star, its not going to happen. Why engineer the chinese Taurus for AU when they will sell less than 5k a year?
Mitsubishi never replaced the 380, and holden, well, holden keep smiling and nodding their heads when talking about a commodore replacement, all we will end up with is insignia/Malibu based which no commodore driver will buy.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 21-04-2016, 11:15 PM   #48
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
NUP...Can't ever consider a Hyundai...they sponsor Carlton..No way can I have that..It's bad enough my Tigers have Jeep on their guernsey...The Jeep joke is ..Salesman says as you drive from the dealership "Do you want a tool kit with that ". Here you go fella's Mondeo Titanium AWD There she is !!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaOgPe9aUbM Then ,get your suits on boys and try this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORrluPgi828 ..You can stick your bowler hat on the back seat . Then there's this one..0-400 metres timed with an hour glass https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Bz...o#t=608.704717 Already hankering for the old days of the 4.0 litre six. There'd better be a V6 in there somewhere if Ford does bring this to OZ ... What do you think of that ? .....Cheers Rod..
Roddy! You Tasmanian dingbat , Numbat ... whatever .. LOL
Nobody in their right mind ties their car purchase to a footy guernsey! ... unless you're a Broncos supporter.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2016, 01:22 AM   #49
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
Looking in the ford global portfolio for a falcon replacement is just wishing upon a star, its not going to happen. Why engineer the chinese Taurus for AU when they will sell less than 5k a year?
Mitsubishi never replaced the 380, and holden, well, holden keep smiling and nodding their heads when talking about a commodore replacement, all we will end up with is insignia/Malibu based which no commodore driver will buy.
Holden wants to satisfy fleet buyers with a commodore replacement and it's working. Holden said they'd keep the commodore going and the NZPF renewed the contract for 2017 onwards. The police are keen to keep the patrol cars commodore's and thats whats happening.

Mind you the insignia isnt a bad piece of kit. Sure I would never take and Insignia or Mondeo over a falcodore. But once the falcodores are gone, you can't buy something that doesn't exist. If everything in the market is the same imported V6 or Turbo 4 and there's no homegrown V8s or large sedans (aside from the 300C, which I'd never get cause there isn't enough spare parts) then I might as well buy a car with a badge I like.

P.S. have you ever driven an Insignia VXR? They're not too bad! They're actually really good. Hate how the cars look though.

"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Old 22-04-2016, 08:38 AM   #50
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Roddy! You Tasmanian dingbat , Numbat ... whatever .. LOL
Nobody in their right mind ties their car purchase to a footy guernsey! ... unless you're a Broncos supporter.
..G'day Pedro...Not unless it's Carlton..There are standards you know..If Hyundai stopped supporting Holden their sales would increase by 50% straight away...God , I hate Carlton..even more than Collingwood if that's possible...Would not buy a Hyundai either ..nice cars just not for me...GOD I HATE CARLTON...Cost me block after block of chocolate for years and years..The groundsman and I have a Family Block on the Carlton -Richmond game each time for the past 15 years...It would have been cheaper for me to buy out Cadbury's such was Carlton's winning streak..Only in the past couple of years have I got a couple back..GOD I HATE CARLTON..Quess what though..Brendan Bolton the coach is actually my first cousin Diane's son..but I still hate Carlton..The scars of the 1972 and 1982 Grand Finals run deep...Cheers Rod...
Old 22-04-2016, 08:54 AM   #51
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
That Chinese Taurus actually looks really nice, wouldn't mind one of those myself.

Honestly speaking, post falcon I'll probably be looking at whatever sedan ford's offering or an Insignia. I definitely can't do with any less than a 6 cylinder, that's for certain.

Ideally speaking a Taurus would be a great replacement for the falcon. Especially the SHO, with the 3.5L V6 AWD.
G'day Qwerty..I agree totally but everyone seems to think it'll be Mondeo..If it is Mondeo I hope they give us the bigger engine options at least..I would NEVER buy a 1.5 Ecoboost in a pink fit..Might be okay for Europe but not for our temperatures and vast distances..The Taurus 3.5 litre V6 twin turbo AWD...Now we're talkin'..That just might bring sales back a little bit..Somehow I reckon though it'll be limited numbers "test the waters" a bit like Mustang for a while if and when Falcon is replaced..Cheers Rod..
Old 22-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #52
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Taurus SHO is a nice bit of kit.... but why would they bring it when the sedan market is cactus here?
Performance market is covered by the Mustang.

Insignia looks tempting.... OPC version please.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2016, 09:26 AM   #53
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Taurus SHO is a nice bit of kit.... but why would they bring it when the sedan market is cactus here?
Performance market is covered by the Mustang.

Insignia looks tempting.... OPC version please.
G'day..I'm not convinced that the sedan market is cactus..I think that since open market basically since import taxes declined there are so many different sedan/hatch choices and draw off each other..and probably why , coupled with the glut of small SUV's all over the place why Falcon and Commodore have suffered so badly..If and only if Ford introduced an attractive Taurus/Mondeo in limited numbers AND...marketed it enthusiastically you never know..No way though will anyone sell anything in the heyday of Falcon (70-90,000) units a year. Those days are long gone I'd suggest..Re rebadging ..we call it Holden Barina but in the US pretty much the exact identical car made by Chevrolet is the Sonic/ Spark..In this country just say an Australian ised version of the Taurus was re badged as Falcon ..would it make any difference or Commodore name stayed on Malibu ..I have absolutely no idea...Cheers Rod...
Old 22-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #54
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
G'day..I'm not convinced that the sedan market is cactus..I think that since open market basically since import taxes declined there are so many different sedan/hatch choices and draw off each other..and probably why , coupled with the glut of small SUV's all over the place why Falcon and Commodore have suffered so badly..If and only if Ford introduced an attractive Taurus/Mondeo in limited numbers AND...marketed it enthusiastically you never know..No way though will anyone sell anything in the heyday of Falcon (70-90,000) units a year. Those days are long gone I'd suggest..Re rebadging ..we call it Holden Barina but in the US pretty much the exact identical car made by Chevrolet is the Sonic/ Spark..In this country just say an Australian ised version of the Taurus was re badged as Falcon ..would it make any difference or Commodore name stayed on Malibu ..I have absolutely no idea...Cheers Rod...
I wish Ford would keep the falcon badge going. Lets just look back and realise that the falcodores started of imports, were even mid sized cars (had 4 banger at one point) and are now V8 large sedans. It's all just the evolution of a car to suit it's market. If the next Taurus or whatever is imported here as the "replacement" for the falcon, then I'm all for them badging it as a falcon. At the end of the day, if I'm driving the same car, I'd much rather call it a falcon than a mondeo/taurus.

Old 22-04-2016, 08:19 PM   #55
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwerty321 View Post
Holden wants to satisfy fleet buyers with a commodore replacement and it's working. Holden said they'd keep the commodore going and the NZPF renewed the contract for 2017 onwards. The police are keen to keep the patrol cars commodore's and thats whats happening.

Mind you the insignia isnt a bad piece of kit. Sure I would never take and Insignia or Mondeo over a falcodore. But once the falcodores are gone, you can't buy something that doesn't exist. If everything in the market is the same imported V6 or Turbo 4 and there's no homegrown V8s or large sedans (aside from the 300C, which I'd never get cause there isn't enough spare parts) then I might as well buy a car with a badge I like.

P.S. have you ever driven an Insignia VXR? They're not too bad! They're actually really good. Hate how the cars look though.
But Kiwi, that's the point, the fleets don't even want them anymore.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 23-04-2016, 03:55 AM   #56
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
IF Ford indeed do bring the Mondeo to Australia to replace Falcon the they'd better leave the ****y little ecoboost engines out of it
Quote:
If it is Mondeo I hope they give us the bigger engine options at least..I would NEVER buy a 1.5 Ecoboost in a pink fit
Is it still 1980 in Tasmania?

1. The Mondeo IS here, there's no "if" about it.
2. The "****y little ecoboost" engines have 20kW more power than your AU and will leave it for dead at the lights.
3. We're not getting the 1.5 Ecoboost in the Mondeo. It's either a 2.0-litre Ecoboost or a 2.0-litre diesel.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 23-04-2016, 09:44 AM   #57
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Is it still 1980 in Tasmania?

1. The Mondeo IS here, there's no "if" about it.
2. The "****y little ecoboost" engines have 20kW more power than your AU and will leave it for dead at the lights.
3. We're not getting the 1.5 Ecoboost in the Mondeo. It's either a 2.0-litre Ecoboost or a 2.0-litre diesel.
G'day.. No it's 1986 in Tasmania actually , were only 30 years behind the rest.not 36 years .we have two heads , and we just got electricity..AND no the deisel , 0-62 mph quoted in that video I was referring to in 12 plus seconds would NOT leave my AU at the lights.but even if it did how can you possibly know the reliability , repair and suitability of Mondeo will rival AU or anycomparable Falcon model yet. .Come back and tell us that in 15-16 years .You totally missed my point.. No offense but the Mondeo currently on the Ford Vehicles listing is not recognised as Falcon replacement..yet...and that's what we're talking about here..Read the whole thread mate..IF Ford officially announces that the Mondeo or Taurus WILL BE targeting the Family large car market once the last Falcon rolls off the assembly line on October 7th..then fair enough..No matter how good the 1.5 litre engine in the vid I watched is..and IF it was optional for Australia you'd have to wonder how it'd cope with Aussie conditions over time..We don't like small capacity engines..so the V6 has to have a better chance of selling here surely..Lot's of AFF comments already say this..Cheers Rod..
Old 23-04-2016, 10:46 AM   #58
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

I hope there is something coming we havnt been told about. I like RWD, all serious Cars are that or AWD. Tow bar, every 2nd Falcon has one. FWD are scary to drive at the best of times, put some weight on a Tow Bar and see how you go. ( without all the electronic rubbish they fit to try and make them safe )
BFGasUte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 11:03 AM   #59
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
G'day.. No it's 1986 in Tasmania actually , were only 30 years behind the rest.not 36 years .we have two heads , and we just got electricity..AND no the deisel , 0-62 mph quoted in that video I was referring to in 12 plus seconds would NOT leave my AU at the lights.but even if it did how can you possibly know the reliability , repair and suitability of Mondeo will rival AU or anycomparable Falcon model yet. .Come back and tell us that in 15-16 years .You totally missed my point.. No offense but the Mondeo currently on the Ford Vehicles listing is not recognised as Falcon replacement..yet...and that's what we're talking about here..Read the whole thread mate..IF Ford officially announces that the Mondeo or Taurus WILL BE targeting the Family large car market once the last Falcon rolls off the assembly line on October 7th..then fair enough..No matter how good the 1.5 litre engine in the vid I watched is..and IF it was optional for Australia you'd have to wonder how it'd cope with Aussie conditions over time..We don't like small capacity engines..so the V6 has to have a better chance of selling here surely..Lot's of AFF comments already say this..Cheers Rod..

😵🔫 you kill me.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2016, 11:39 AM   #60
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
. No offense but the Mondeo currently on the Ford Vehicles listing is not recognised as Falcon replacement..yet...and that's what we're talking about here..Read the whole thread mate..IF Ford officially announces that the Mondeo or Taurus WILL BE targeting the Family large car market once the last Falcon rolls off the assembly line on October 7th..then fair enough..
Kind of like this?

Instead of introducing traditional large cars, Ford will focus on the new generation Mondeo as its largest passenger car presence. Marginally larger than its predecessor, the high-tech hatch and wagon range is expected to launch in February 2015.

“The new Mondeo is clearly a new generation car and it is a good sized car. It won’t replace Falcon [directly] but it will be our medium to large car entry,” Wilkinson said.

http://www.motoring.com.au/mondeo-is...big-car-47701/
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post