Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2010, 08:19 PM   #31
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
And who actually wants to drive changing gears under 2,000 revs all the time?? I try doing this from time to time (to save fuel), but after about 10-20 min of do that I get the shits & go back to changing around 3-4000 revs.

I'd rather spend a little more on fusl & enjoy the way I drive!!
I require my licence for my job as well as doing a fair bit of driving during the day between sites - if you don't flog the crap out of your car, you find you're a lot more relaxed at the end of the day.

I'm also pretty sure that I'd probably be over the speed limit at 3-4000rpm in 3rd gear on 95% of the roads I have to negotiate.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:01 PM   #32
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good tyre pressure and wheel alingment and slowly accelatrating of the mark saves abit of fuel in my auto XR6 and lpg helps alot
Old 14-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #33
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

fill er up in the morning when the underground tanks are cold, fuel is denser and you get more for your buck :alien2:
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:08 PM   #34
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

If you want to save fuel dont own a V8......
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #35
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was getting around 12 or 13 in the AU. I had to reduce this. Through careful planning, I managed to get it to 4.0/100. Solution was simple. Sell the car and buy a motorbike.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 09:57 PM   #36
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
actually thats not quite true. you don't have to go so slow that you are holding up traffic. just drive WITH the traffic flow, even when accelerating.

anticipating the traffic conditions is a safer way to drive also, and the fuel savings are just a added benefit.

i still give my v8 the odd burst but more often than not these days, if i'm in traffic or know i'll be in traffic, i allow plenty of time to get where i need to be and just doddle along with the traffic.
Good post, and that's a great point you make. If people, especially the younger generation, conformed to this "style" of driving instead of being erratic and stupid, there'd be a lot less tears shed.

I've tried the below and find it quite rewarding/satisfying, plus it keeps one in a relaxed state of mind, as hastiness can be quite a vice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grobbo
Sounds boring but it was actually quite fun - it also made the odd burst of full noise that I allowed myself so much more of a treat
Good thread!
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #37
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

I remember driving around for a week to get the most amount of fuel. Had my old BA down to 10.2l/100. I thought it was great but the fact that it was boring I just said i'll pay the extra amount. lol
Old 14-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #38
Davebro

Well that don't work for me in my BF XR8, ZF 6 speed.

I noticed that when I drove round like a nana, I was using more fuel around town.

When I accelerated harder up to the speed limit, the average fuel usage went down. Also when I gave it the odd good thrash it didn't seem to affect it.

So yeah, usually you would think the slower and more gentle you drive its better. But didn't work out that way for me! I only use BP 98 as well.

Strange.
Old 14-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #39
Dodge
i like to be stroked

mythbusters made a car body with golf ball dents , the dents actually cause the car to travel with less drag, hence why a golf ball travels futher than a smooth ball .
the test was with a dent free car over a distance with X amount of fuel, the golf ball dented car did the same test but using less fuel for the distance covered at the same speed...
Old 14-04-2010, 11:23 PM   #40
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Another problem is if you try driving like that in a 4 cylinder car, you can make the car use more fuel by grabbing the next gear too early and it struggles.

Thats only for us guys missing 4 cylinders, unfortunately we can't just go from 1st, then at 10km/h change into 6th and cruise along without the car dying in the *** haha.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 12:30 AM   #41
Grobbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
What are peoples ideas,(or the facts, if anyone knows), on the effects on fuel economy in a ute with or without lid??
Yeah I never thought of that. I don't have a lid, plus half the time I'm carrying a dirt bike... Can't be too aerodynamic!
Grobbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #42
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember getting trained at Mercedes-Benz for driving the trucks to the maximum efficency...

and zee square heads drummed the theory into me:

'Get to your cruising speed as quickly as nessacary, and then use cruise control'

Something along the lines of 10 seconds accelerating hard will use less than 30-40-50 seconds of slowly coming up the revs.

Has worked in all the trucks Ive ever done fuel comparos in...

Its not often the squareheads are wrong

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 08:34 AM   #43
LTDHO
The one and only

I agree with all the above ideas other than turning the engine off! That is stupid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Funny thing is I upgraded my 1992 XR8 on LPG for a 2002 Laser SR2.
The Laser costs more to run a week then the XR did! Naturally I'm not impressed.

Keep the V8!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 09:41 AM   #44
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5

10 seconds accelerating hard will use less than 30-40-50 seconds of slowly coming up the revs.

Its not often the squareheads are wrong
SPOT ON

I proved this in my BA.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #45
Davebro

As I have in my BF!

And its more fun.....
Old 15-04-2010, 10:32 AM   #46
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
Good on you, mate. Soon you'll start noticing the ones who jump to the next red light and you gently pull up next to them or pass them as the lights go green on your approach. .
a well set up traffic light timing system will turn green if you sit on the speed limit, which will also punish those who speed (by getting more reds).
Old 15-04-2010, 05:13 PM   #47
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when I am cruising in my BA XR6T (yes I cruise in it OK) I find that cog skipping (manual) makes the car more economical I am at a loss to explain why my routine is thus - takeoff 1st gear goto maybe 2.5-3k revs then third get to 50/60 then 4th and coast I do this with minimal throttle application too and it returns an average of 12l/100 - now when my wife drives the car I got no idea what the heck she does wrong but it blows this out by 2l/100 sometimes more - and I been in the car with her and she by no means thrashes it BUT grabs every gear on the way up (6 speed manual). When I slow for a corner but don't stop I go back to 2nd then build speed gentle throttle application then 4th and coast at 50/60 - if speedlimit is 80 I usually hit 4th build to 80 then into 5th and if speed is higher than 80 I use 6th it works for me in terms of economy and I keep pace or exceed the pace of other cars around me on the road without a problem.

NOW on the subject of utes hardlids etc make a massive difference I have an old XF ute that is on LPG and the tonneau cover had the hooks on the rear of it stretched to buggery and at 80 kmh plus it would cave the rear of the tonneau into the tray creating a horrendous amount of drag I really do mean alot we are talking reduced the tank range by about 60-70 km when that car will only go around 450- (ish) to a tank of LPG a drop of 60-70 is sizable people in utes that are chasing economy try driving with the tonneau/hardlid off and dropping the tailgate removing the drag completely - guarantee you will notice it over 100km driving esp at highway speeds. Or if you can remove the tailgate and drive with it like that (I have experimented with the ole ute alot believe me) I find the most economical way to drive that particular car is no tonneau and tailgate down - why this is better than off I have no idea but it seems to be so.

Oh and do the other stuff mentioned above as well ;)

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #48
StrokedXT
Banned

Id rather just drive normally and enjoy it rather than worrying about a few dollars at the pump.
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #49
glavas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeep_by_ford
Id rather just drive normally and enjoy it rather than worrying about a few dollars at the pump.
thats the way mate!!!!

i dont understand why people bother about fuel usage. if your dont wana use alot of fuel dont buy ya v8 go and buy some little buzz box. and i dont understand the point of the v6 i think there antiquated. a v8 can get better fuel econamy then a v6.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 05:38 PM   #50
Quicksand
Lucky, lucky bastard!

Quote:
This isn't the case any more. The average consumer wants power + economy + features + safety etc in everything they buy. This also applies to the V8's now.

E.g. Ford opting for a smaller, lighter and technically advanced forced fed V8 instead of following GM's charge and simply upping the capacity. E.g. BMW etc with their smaller, high-tech V8's etc

It's just not that simple any more...
Old 15-04-2010, 06:17 PM   #51
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Can't I have the option of driving my V8 while enjoying some economy by utilising simple techniques?
Old 15-04-2010, 06:24 PM   #52
ReVd_uP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Remember changing TOO early is gonna load up your engine, you'll use more fuel..... 2000rpm is a little early me thinks..... to the OP think you are getting too old.... your engine is gonna clag up in no time..... if you love the car set it free to someone who'll drive it like its supposed to be driven
ReVd_uP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 06:31 PM   #53
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inducted_Breeze
This isn't the case any more. The average consumer wants power + economy + features + safety etc in everything they buy. This also applies to the V8's now.

E.g. Ford opting for a smaller, lighter and technically advanced forced fed V8 instead of following GM's charge and simply upping the capacity. E.g. BMW etc with their smaller, high-tech V8's etc

It's just not that simple any more...
Your talking about cars (Ford) that arent on the market yet, the euro V8's are. Although i do agree with what your saying though. Newer V8's are smaller more high tech and economical. But with current Aussie V8's Windsor, BOSS, 304 GM and LSX engines my theory still applies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
Can't I have the option of driving my V8 while enjoying some economy by utilising simple techniques?
Go for it but IMO economy and V8 dont belong in the same sentence. Ive had a V8 for near on 4 years, not once have i worried about fuel econ. Only when i go away ill see what the lowest L/100 i can get, not because of cost though.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 06:42 PM   #54
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReVd_uP
Remember changing TOO early is gonna load up your engine, you'll use more fuel..... 2000rpm is a little early me thinks..... to the OP think you are getting too old.... your engine is gonna clag up in no time..... if you love the car set it free to someone who'll drive it like its supposed to be driven
The auto driven lightly will change around 2000rpm. Its fine and not gonna load your engine up.
Old 15-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #55
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The latest Mazda 6 has a completely flat undercarriage if I'm not mistaken.

The whole "I've got a V8 so who cares about fuel" attitude is a bit stupid. Even if you like to drive a little faster and accelerate a little harder thats fine, I often do myself, but paying attention to traffic ahead, coasting upto red lights etc, will save fuel, and brakes as well - with absolutely no time or fun penalty. I always laugh at the morons who insist on racing to the red light barely 50 metres ahead. Does anyone actually find doing that fun?
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 08:14 PM   #56
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
The latest Mazda 6 has a completely flat undercarriage if I'm not mistaken.

Half mistaken as it happens. Just looked it up and the Mazda 6 has covers beneath the engine and passenger compartment - only the rear suspension and exhaust is left exposed. Impressive for a mainstream car.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #57
[CaSeY]
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbaxr6t
when I am cruising in my BA XR6T (yes I cruise in it OK) I find that cog skipping (manual) makes the car more economical I am at a loss to explain why my routine is thus - takeoff 1st gear goto maybe 2.5-3k revs then third get to 50/60 then 4th and coast I do this with minimal throttle application too and it returns an average of 12l/100 - now when my wife drives the car I got no idea what the heck she does wrong but it blows this out by 2l/100 sometimes more - and I been in the car with her and she by no means thrashes it BUT grabs every gear on the way up (6 speed manual). When I slow for a corner but don't stop I go back to 2nd then build speed gentle throttle application then 4th and coast at 50/60 - if speedlimit is 80 I usually hit 4th build to 80 then into 5th and if speed is higher than 80 I use 6th it works for me in terms of economy and I keep pace or exceed the pace of other cars around me on the road without a problem.

NOW on the subject of utes hardlids etc make a massive difference I have an old XF ute that is on LPG and the tonneau cover had the hooks on the rear of it stretched to buggery and at 80 kmh plus it would cave the rear of the tonneau into the tray creating a horrendous amount of drag I really do mean alot we are talking reduced the tank range by about 60-70 km when that car will only go around 450- (ish) to a tank of LPG a drop of 60-70 is sizable people in utes that are chasing economy try driving with the tonneau/hardlid off and dropping the tailgate removing the drag completely - guarantee you will notice it over 100km driving esp at highway speeds. Or if you can remove the tailgate and drive with it like that (I have experimented with the ole ute alot believe me) I find the most economical way to drive that particular car is no tonneau and tailgate down - why this is better than off I have no idea but it seems to be so.

Oh and do the other stuff mentioned above as well ;)
im pretty sure mythbusters proved that closed/open tailgate don't effect fuel usage, but i could be wrong
[CaSeY] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2010, 09:16 PM   #58
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Go for it but IMO economy and V8 dont belong in the same sentence. Ive had a V8 for near on 4 years, not once have i worried about fuel econ. Only when i go away ill see what the lowest L/100 i can get, not because of cost though.
I do 40,000kms on a light year, I do worry about economy and I do love my V8. Perhaps you don't feel the sting in the back pocket but some of us do. I like to own my V8 as well as reduce fuel bills where possible.

To claim I shouldn't care about fuel economy because I own a V8 is spurious at best.
Old 15-04-2010, 09:29 PM   #59
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by [CaSeY]
im pretty sure mythbusters proved that closed/open tailgate don't effect fuel usage, but i could be wrong
From memory that is right... most of the airflow seperation happens right behind the cabin. It sits behind the cabin and rotates like a vortex, rest of the stagnent air then litterally sits in the tray.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-04-2010, 01:42 AM   #60
nipper575
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew`SEVNT5
Something along the lines of 10 seconds accelerating hard will use less than 30-40-50 seconds of slowly coming up the revs.
I have experienced this myself. When I first bought my ute, I tried to drive it as economically as I could, no excessive revs, accelerating slowly etc. This was just for the sake of seeing what I could get out of a tank. Now it must of had something to do with all the stop start traffic because I returned around 17l/100km, which I think is great (better than my old 4 cyl Alfa, haha).

Only problem is that it feels like my car is telling me "HARDEN THE ******** UP!" I don't know, it's just a miserable car to drive excessively softly imo. So I've gone back to driving it normally, changing at 3000 - 4000, accelerating at a normal pace (for a V8) and putting it in 6th on the highway and motoring along. Turns out I get the same economy and have a far more positive driving experience, doesn't feel like the car is choking up.