Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-02-2011, 12:36 PM   #31
Zero_PSI
Banned

I'm paranoid so no...I'm one of those guys that will park on the otherside of the carpark to avoid parking next to another car. No joke...it's happened
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
NC_Steve
She needs premium dude...

I wouldn't park my good car in any car park unless I'm sitting in it. I once parked a good distance away from the shopping center entrance with no cars around. When I came back there were two cars parked either side of mine in the 95% empty car park. The question is why??
NC_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 01:30 PM   #33
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
Do they have CCTV cameras in the car park? I have been in at a country station at 3am and basically seconds after stepping across the yellow line a pre recorded message played about not stepping across the line. Clearly someone somwhere was watching on that camera. But I doubt cameras cover their car parks.
CCTV, even in the parking would be useless to you. You will not be shown any footage by 99% of the people with access to the footage due to 'Privacy'.

Re the yellow line, probably tripped a sensor.....

Would I leave a new car at the station. Only if I had no other option, and even then, I would park in the street away from everyone else.

I got a near new car with immaculate bodywork 2 years ago and in the first 3 outings in the first 3 days of ownership I got 3 very distinctive dings in my door from people opening onto my car.

I just got the wife a new Focus. That is locked away in the garage and we drive her 10 year old Mirage to school (we work together as teachers). It is FULL of dents and scrapes. Guess where she got them?
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
iCat
doof doof doof doof

there's another reason not to park at railway stations - check your duco if you park parallel with the lines. the train brakes emit showers of droplets of carbon when slowing down or being released and these stick to duco like glue. you cannot buff them off as they smear. each dot must be picked off individually with a clay bar. been there done that and it sux!

and no, would never park my good car at the station. too many people with no respect.
Old 24-02-2011, 02:11 PM   #35
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Up here in brissy i use to park sometimes at Runcorn railway station, never had any dramas.
Down in Melbourne my brother parked his run around (94 commodore acclaim) at Sunshine railway station. One day they took his original hub caps.

A year later they broke inot his car popped the boot and stole the spare tyre and the rear right one (must have had the most grip).
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #36
CODSASR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
CCTV, even in the parking would be useless to you. You will not be shown any footage by 99% of the people with access to the footage due to 'Privacy'.

Would I leave a new car at the station. Only if I had no other option, and even then, I would park in the street away from everyone else.

I got a near new car with immaculate bodywork 2 years ago and in the first 3 outings in the first 3 days of ownership I got 3 very distinctive dings in my door from people opening onto my car.

I just got the wife a new Focus. That is locked away in the garage and we drive her 10 year old Mirage to school (we work together as teachers). It is FULL of dents and scrapes. Guess where she got them?
Smart idea I remember back in high school a group of kids got expelled. One lunch time they went around and debadged every teachers car the auto teacher just happend to drive his xy gt in that day every badge was gone
lucky he got them back but from what I heard the parents of the kids had to pay for all the scratches to be fixed as they where using screwdrivers

2012 SZ TS Territory
CODSASR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 02:55 PM   #37
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
I wouldn't leave my 'pride n joy' at a train station or major shopping centre, both of these a theft/break-in hot spots.

In saying that, at my station there is a FG G6, F6 ute and Jaguar!
its a G6ET wayne :P

and don't forget that crazily modified wagon thats in the carpark most days.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #38
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowEL2XR8
I always hold my door and when I get my kids out of the back I hold the rear door so the door can't be pushed into the car next to me. Doesn't matter if the car next to me is a $500 POS or a GT.
I treat others cars how I treat mine. I don't want mine dinged so I don't hit others.
100 %
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 04:22 PM   #39
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva

Nah Otherwise it would be going off every time a train was there. Plus I stood in an area were the camera couldn't see me and got no message.

But yeah a camera probably wouldn't do much anyway. They they really want to damage or steal your car they will be able to do it.

At Singo station one morning at about 3am, a drunk teen was there and he started talking to us. When he found out we were getting on the train and driving it back to Newcastle he immediately said "So your going to leave your car parked over there all night are you?" And pointed to our work car in the car park.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 04:23 PM   #40
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

I probably wouldn't care too much about my BA nowadays, not much chance of it being broken into or stolen. Not worthwile.

But I used to catch a train to Uni back in the mid 90's and I parked my XA coupe at the station. It was one of the 'bad' stations and unfortunatley one day I returned to find the rear light window smashed (those things were rare even back then) and the miscreant had thrown a brick to do it which had hit the panel under the window denting it on the panel crease and stuffing the crome strip.

They couldn't steal the car as it had a club lock on it so they tried to steal the 6x9 Pioneer speakers off the rear parcel shelf. They obviously couldn't get them out as they had torn the covers off and bent the backrest of the back seat around like a banana to try and get behind it.

From then on I parked at a carpark across the street which was next to a large active car yard. No more parking at the station itself.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 04:35 PM   #41
superpursuit83
KITTY Crew Member

I used to park an old Holden Rodeo at an undesirable place. After the 3rd quarter window was broken I just decided to leave it unlocked. They only ever looked through it for stuff. Never left anything in the car though. They did not want to pinch the POS but it was costing $150 for every window broken

BAII Super Pursuit 0083

Awsome power by XTREME FORD TUNING 500rwkw New ALLOY Block

Awesome exhaust by THE EXHAUST CENTRE MIDLAND

Awesome Kenne Bell Supercharger setup by AGRO! and Bluepower Racing Developments

Now with full DOT approval and Permitted for road use
superpursuit83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #42
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
Smart idea I remember back in high school a group of kids got expelled. One lunch time they went around and debadged every teachers car the auto teacher just happend to drive his xy gt in that day every badge was gone
lucky he got them back but from what I heard the parents of the kids had to pay for all the scratches to be fixed as they where using screwdrivers
I work in a primary school. The kids don't know about brake fluid and keys on paintwork and thoughts of revenge till towards the end of yr 6.

The damage is from parents actually. The car park is shared and it is a brothel every morning and afternoon.

I'm very glad I don't teach at a high school. Know many a teacher that has returned to find slashed tyres or worse. The boss at the high school campus that's connected to our campus gets the train now for the same reason from what I hear.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 05:00 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Pfft lifes too short to worry about a car which is fully insured. They target older cars anyway as they are easier to break into and steal.

I would have no problem leaving my basically new SV6 anywhere, because I dont want to spend this much on a car and not drive it anywhere and its insured and Im not going to let scumbags ruin my enjoyment of using it.
Easily best post of the thread so far.

My cars are always fully insured and above markett value so if they go walk about i'll just get another one.
My mate parked his old dunger VN wagon at the Elizabeth railway station one day, 6 hrs later it was gone.
The thing is, he had it insured for $4k and then went and bought a nice EF on gas with the insurance money, hell, they even took his excess from the payout so he didnt have the inconvenience up front.

As for damage, well that can happen anywhere, a shopping centre, school carparks, the pub or restaurant.
Fact is, as Brazen said, whats the point in having a nice car if your too scared to drive it and get out.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 06:53 PM   #44
VICFPV

I have been parking my BA GT at the station for 6 years.
Had 2 incidents. Door ding and missing FPV badge.
For me the trade off was that I was driving it everyday and enjoying my car or it would sit in the garage and collect dust. Its just a car I love driving.
Worst thing is when some idiot hits your car while driving.
Its just a hard luck and you have to take your chances.
VICFPV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 06:57 PM   #45
LowEL2XR8
Mr Impulsive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VICFPV
I have been parking my BA GT at the station for 6 years.
Had 2 incidents. Door ding and missing FPV badge.
Holy cow. Thats an impressive record. Thats about 1564 days with only 2 incidents. Your are the luckiest car enthusiast in Australia if not the world.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:00 PM   #46
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I don't catch a train (with good reason outside of this subject), so no I wouldnt park any car there. And if for some unholy reason I must board a train, then still no.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 07:38 PM   #47
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODSASR
I vaguely recall in high school a couple of girls had a grudge against a math teacher, and decided the smart thing to do would be slash the soft top on his old Jag during lunch one day.

Someone dobbed them in not long after. She got a reward, and the other two girls were cautioned by Police and suspended. Their parents also had to pay for repairs.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #48
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen
Pfft lifes too short to worry about a car which is fully insured. They target older cars anyway as they are easier to break into and steal.

I would have no problem leaving my basically new SV6 anywhere, because I dont want to spend this much on a car and not drive it anywhere and its insured and Im not going to let scumbags ruin my enjoyment of using it.
Pftt, Most incident's are break in's by lowlifes looking for a quick snatch, so your theory that they target older vehicles is very naive, I take it you have never had a break in like this otherwise you would think differently about it, or do you like paying your basic excess every time a window is smashed.
Your right about one thing though, life is to short.
But having a new vehicle is not going to deter a theif, and they are not going to leave a note with their detail's so you can name them to your insurer so your basic excess is waved are they.......roughly $400 basic excess for a smashed window seem's fair to me... doesn't it.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 08:34 PM   #49
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is funny how people think parking away from everyone will do something. Your car is more of a target for theft and break in if it is away from everyone else. If your car is not parked with others thieves see it as an easier target because there is less cars around, which usually means less people to see.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 08:42 PM   #50
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
This morning my wife had to go to a conference in Melbourne and was going by train. I told her last night that I was riding one of my motorbikes to work, so she could take my old '03 SV8 and leave it in the train station carpark. This morning she got up early and left and when I checked which car she had taken her '09 XR6 was gone.

If someone gave you the option of not leaving your "much loved" vehicle (my wife is always ready to defend her XR6 against my taunts about it's rattles and squeaks, etc) in a train station car park wouldn't you take up the offer .. even if you had to drive a Holden??!!

I'd rather drive a dented, squeaky, rattly ford than drive a holden any day.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 09:08 PM   #51
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
I vaguely recall in high school a couple of girls had a grudge against a math teacher, and decided the smart thing to do would be slash the soft top on his old Jag during lunch one day.

Someone dobbed them in not long after. She got a reward, and the other two girls were cautioned by Police and suspended. Their parents also had to pay for repairs.
At least it's just a car. A few low life students at my school went to a teachers house at night time and smashed multiple windows on the house with bricks. They were in Yr 12 at the time.
The teacher was a *****, but that is just too far.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #52
Sick EB
ORSM Ford Cruisers

im forced to park my fg xr6t at thomastown station every day. although most days the cars next to me in the morning are the same when i leave so its not too bad. i try and put it in a corner though.
still spewen i have to leave it there.

1993 EB2 Gli---->Build Thread
2008 FG XR8 SEDAN 300RWKW N/A

2008 FG XR6 TURBO-UTE>>> SOLD
2002 AU3 XLS UTE>>>SOLD
Sick EB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 09:36 PM   #53
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Pftt, Most incident's are break in's by lowlifes looking for a quick snatch, so your theory that they target older vehicles is very naive, I take it you have never had a break in like this otherwise you would think differently about it, or do you like paying your basic excess every time a window is smashed.
Your right about one thing though, life is to short.
But having a new vehicle is not going to deter a theif, and they are not going to leave a note with their detail's so you can name them to your insurer so your basic excess is waved are they.......roughly $400 basic excess for a smashed window seem's fair to me... doesn't it.
What, you think theives only hang around train stations...

Why do you think they put those temporary electric signs at supermarket carpark entries, particularly at christmas times?
Carparks are full of cars then with owners who run the same risk.

There are plenty of places a theif will target.

So where do you drive your XR8, round the block and back into the garage?

I think your being a bit paranoid.
Old 24-02-2011, 09:44 PM   #54
4vdean

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
This morning my wife had to go to a conference in Melbourne and was going by train. I told her last night that I was riding one of my motorbikes to work, so she could take my old '03 SV8 and leave it in the train station carpark. This morning she got up early and left and when I checked which car she had taken her '09 XR6 was gone.

If someone gave you the option of not leaving your "much loved" vehicle (my wife is always ready to defend her XR6 against my taunts about it's rattles and squeaks, etc) in a train station car park wouldn't you take up the offer .. even if you had to drive a Holden??!!

So how did it turn out, survive unscathed ?, I wouldn't do it, would just be worrying all day, not worth the stress......................
Old 24-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #55
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
What, you think theives only hang around train stations...

Why do you think they put those temporary electric signs at supermarket carpark entries, particularly at christmas times?
Carparks are full of cars then with owners who run the same risk.

There are plenty of places a theif will target.

So where do you drive your XR8, round the block and back into the garage?

I think your being a bit paranoid.
Where did I say that, please tell me ??.
Theives will and do target anywhere, it's just train station car park's are an easy target for obvious reasons.
Go and read my post again mate... I am not doubting that unfortunete thing's happen, but to claim they only steal or target older vehicle's is naive and just plain dumb, snatch and grab's are right up there, no matter what type or age of the vehicle.
But hey if your happy to pay for a broken window and damage every now and then or pay your basic excess, then do so.
But don't come on here and whinge and complain when you return to your vehicle one day to find that some low life has damaged it and it is going to cost you xxx+ amount to fix it.
I have a daily that I drive around and my XR8 is purely for holiday/weekend triping, why cause I choose to not want to worry about damage to it from leaving it in an unsafe area and I don't want the hassle of having to deal with the drama's if something unfortunete was to happen, easy as that mate.
I'm not being paranoid, just smart.

My wife work's in Melb 3-4 day's a week, I drop her at the station every morning and pick her up after work from there, I see the low life's that like to frequant this area and know quite a few of the V/Line staff and hear numorous problem's, and I can tell you now there is no way I would leave my XR8 there for a day, my choice.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-02-2011, 10:18 PM   #56
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
Where did I say that, please tell me ??.
Theives will and do target anywhere, it's just train station car park's are an easy target for obvious reasons.
Go and read my post again mate... I am not doubting that unfortunete thing's happen, but to claim they only steal or target older vehicle's is naive and just plain dumb, snatch and grab's are right up there, no matter what type or age of the vehicle.
But hey if your happy to pay for a broken window and damage every now and then or pay your basic excess, then do so.
But don't come on here and whinge and complain when you return to your vehicle one day to find that some low life has damaged it and it is going to cost you xxx+ amount to fix it.
I have a daily that I drive around and my XR8 is purely for holiday/weekend triping, why cause I choose to not want to worry about damage to it from leaving it in an unsafe area and I don't want the hassle of having to deal with the drama's if something unfortunete was to happen, easy as that mate.
I'm not being paranoid, just smart.
Lol, its all good mate, i usually hide any personal items in the console bin or glovebox to prevent unnecessary attempts.
Most thefts are opportune, as in things left in broad daylight.
And dont worry, i have no time to whinge on here about my issues, im usually to busy reading of everyone elses drama's.
If by some chance someone did break a side window to steal my factory CD player i would proberbly use my remaining spare time to fix it myself, dont want to bother the good people at Allianz for nothing now, unless its a windscreen, which i get for free anyway.

Oh, and i never said that you said what you think i thought you said, i was just saying that your car can become a target anywhere, even in a motel carpark if you were holidaying somewhere...anyone remember the thefts from Wintersun a few years ago...
Old 25-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #57
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
It is funny how people think parking away from everyone will do something. Your car is more of a target for theft and break in if it is away from everyone else. If your car is not parked with others thieves see it as an easier target because there is less cars around, which usually means less people to see.
Quoting this to ensure it's seen. There is more foot traffic and CCTV cameras around the station platforms/shopping centre entrances than there is in the far corner of the car park. A car might be safe from dings all the way over there but it's an easier mark for break-ins.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 03:52 PM   #58
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can any one beat me leaving my ride.. (BF MK2 XR6 Turbo) Breeze, FGlass GT kit slamned on 20's staggered.. at ST MARY"S train station.. -one stop from Mount druit..

4-6 times per week for between 12-14 hours per day.. occasionaly getting back to my car at 230 am.... (shift worker)
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #59
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4vdean
So how did it turn out, survive unscathed ?, I wouldn't do it, would just be worrying all day, not worth the stress......................
It was fine .. as most normal people would have thought (i.e. not me) .. and as I'm sure govt statistics show. Didn't stop me worrying about it and doesn't stop me from continuing to attempt to take simple precautions.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 04:34 PM   #60
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK EF
can any one beat me leaving my ride.. (BF MK2 XR6 Turbo) Breeze, FGlass GT kit slamned on 20's staggered.. at ST MARY"S train station.. -one stop from Mount druit..

4-6 times per week for between 12-14 hours per day.. occasionaly getting back to my car at 230 am.... (shift worker)
Sweet, i know where to get me some 20's
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post