Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-09-2007, 08:12 AM   #31
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Dan
Ha, I used to work there - well, next door at Ridgeway. Love the big trucks and shovels!! It's pretty humbling being in a landcruser and one of those suckers goes thundering past.
Ha no way, small world! Where are you now? I went underground for a day over there and man what a 'different' feeling that is! Watched the bogger drivers come in from the ore passes to the crusher, man they move! Scary to watch them actually!

I hate it when we drive around the Haul Road to Ridgeway as we only have a 2x4 Hi-Lux ute!!! Feel really small!!!

GZ1 - I don't have any pics, I'll see if I can get some today, depends if they have gone out for repair or not, but I'm 6'2 and the engine units are taller than me!

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2007, 01:46 PM   #32
XR6Dan
Why??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armageddon
Ha no way, small world! Where are you now? I went underground for a day over there and man what a 'different' feeling that is! Watched the bogger drivers come in from the ore passes to the crusher, man they move! Scary to watch them actually!
I was at Ridgeway from the construction of the underground ore handling and the stacker at Cadia - I think it was 2000-2001. During construction they trucked the ore and waste out - so driving down wasn't too bad as the trucks were pretty slow fully loaded and easy to avoid. But when you were coming up you really had to listen to the radio to find out what corner they were at as they were coming down as they went a lot faster. There was nothing worse then getting to a corner in an LV and met by a friggen big truck flying around the corner. Trying to reverse around a corner, down a steep slope, solid rock all around to get to the next passing bay, all the while being chased by a giant radiator with headlights was challenging.

These were Toro 50D's - 570 odd HP and a 60t payload.
XR6Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2007, 01:58 PM   #33
Armageddon Designs
Automotive Graphic artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6Dan
I was at Ridgeway from the construction of the underground ore handling and the stacker at Cadia - I think it was 2000-2001. During construction they trucked the ore and waste out - so driving down wasn't too bad as the trucks were pretty slow fully loaded and easy to avoid. But when you were coming up you really had to listen to the radio to find out what corner they were at as they were coming down as they went a lot faster. There was nothing worse then getting to a corner in an LV and met by a friggen big truck flying around the corner. Trying to reverse around a corner, down a steep slope, solid rock all around to get to the next passing bay, all the while being chased by a giant radiator with headlights was challenging.

These were Toro 50D's - 570 odd HP and a 60t payload.
Ha yeah i know that feeling, I went down in an Isuzu Tilt tray and that was interesting enough!!! We Still have the Toro's but they are now with Cadia East Project, Ridgeway are now using Atlas Copco dumps and they have just put on new trucks for Ridgeway Deeps, not sure of the brand but they are a lot bigger!

: ARMAGEDDON DESIGNS - NEW SITE NOW ONLINE :

Armageddon Designs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2007, 02:04 PM   #34
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
No replacement for displacement.......................

Do ships have a similar engine lifespan?
No. ship engines last much longer than that.

Ship engines max continuous speed is rated in hundreds of rpm ie 200 - 300rpm WOT and they burn bunker fuel.

Fuel usage for a ship is measured in tonnes per day, none of this nansy pansy lt per unit of distance...... There are examples of bunker fuel engines that have exceeded 100000 hours and are still in use.

Back to diesel engine life, I worked on a 25m fishing boat that had a Cummins 6BTcoupled to a gen set that had done 450000 hours. NO engine rebuild, no recondition, just a replacement turbo at about 28000 hours, plus regular proper servicing.

A truck driver that comes into my current work has a Star with a Cat 600 that will clock 1 million kms early next year. All it has had done so far is a replacement turbo - UNDER WARRANTY ! Plus, he reckons he will still be on the original clutch by the time 1000000kms is up.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2007, 02:26 PM   #35
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I'd like to see the workshop that works on these things... it must be bloody huge.
Old 16-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #36
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboz
These things are awesome, do u know how much torque these engine make?
I just read what I wrote and I made a mistake. The high displacement (stroked engine) is 79L and not 72 as I stated.

Here are some figures for you.
2300-2500hp at 1750rpm (with approx 35 psi boost)
8100-9300 ld/ft at 1300rpm

I think these figures are for the stroked engines.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 04:15 PM   #37
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lost the cable for my phone so can't get the Vid off it, but anyway

This is the Big #### we installed last year,well 4 of em to be exact on a IDO ferry in Turkey

Got the Vid on my Phone of when we Fired it up, They use 40Bar air to spin em up to speed with decompression chocks, smooth engine, i was laying on it wile it was at Idle apart from the noise you wouldn't even know it was running it's that Smooth. at WOT you can hear the turbo whistle from behind 2 doors. Think fuel consumption was up around 1000 Litres a hour!!!

V20 48degreeV
Max kW 9000
Max RPM 1150
displacement 17.37 Litres per cylinder
Time between overhaul 24,000 Hours
Cooling system was over 1000 litres
Oil around 800 Litres

Size wise think close to 2 F250's Long and taller, worth 3 million each I am told

The 2 big boxes below the turbo's are Inter coolers

Last edited by Green X; 16-09-2007 at 04:20 PM.
Green X is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-09-2007, 11:45 PM   #38
madmelon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's some beauties for ya.
http://www.marinediesels.info/Horror...tory_intro.htm

also see the MAN B&W webiste...they have some decently large engines there. like 3 storeys tall...100MW etc. Check out the medium speed ship engines also- 1200kW/cylinder.
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-09-2007, 09:56 PM   #39
AUSGTI
Das Auto Bitches!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green X
Lost the cable for my phone so can't get the Vid off it, but anyway

This is the Big #### we installed last year,well 4 of em to be exact on a IDO ferry in Turkey

Got the Vid on my Phone of when we Fired it up, They use 40Bar air to spin em up to speed with decompression chocks, smooth engine, i was laying on it wile it was at Idle apart from the noise you wouldn't even know it was running it's that Smooth. at WOT you can hear the turbo whistle from behind 2 doors. Think fuel consumption was up around 1000 Litres a hour!!!

V20 48degreeV
Max kW 9000
Max RPM 1150
displacement 17.37 Litres per cylinder
Time between overhaul 24,000 Hours
Cooling system was over 1000 litres
Oil around 800 Litres

Size wise think close to 2 F250's Long and taller, worth 3 million each I am told

The 2 big boxes below the turbo's are Inter coolers

Haha, These indeed are the engines we installed into the latest IDO boats for turkey (2 x 86m) cats. We are currently building 10 x 40m cats for Japan with 4 x v16's in them good for 7000kw each... connected to ZF boxes.