Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2005, 07:57 PM   #31
RATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluedriver
My brother inlaw called me from the auctions yesterday about a 03 phantom 6T with only 20000k's going for $28k.
And that's more like it.

Most of these cars will not be available to the public. What usually happens is dealers, whether they be Ford or Holden it doesn't matter, bid for these cars and end up paying $26-27 for an 03 xr6t with 60+km.

What is left is usually what Joe public can buy.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 08:05 PM   #32
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All the cars I saw WERE availiable to the public. 22grand for 70 to 80,000km is the going rate for XR6turbos and Telstra IS happy with this price or they would have been passed in. This WAS NOT a dealer auction. Telstra is HAPPY with 19 to 22 for Fairmont Ghias! I think the second hand market for these cars is falling badly right as we speak or else these cars would have been passed in. Its that simple. Telstra was happy with this price.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 08:51 PM   #33
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkau
Im surprised car yards still manage to sell stock. When looking for an au2 forte card yards told me id pay between 16-20k. I went to one ford yard and they tried selling me an au1 with 140,000km on it for $15k. When I told them I wanted to spend 13k they laughed and told me in my dreams. A few weeks later got one from the auctions for 11k better then all their stock.

Ford seems to be the worst prices they must have a markup for around 6-12k on all cars.
At the same time a dealer can lose money on a car to.. and just because a car is advertised at a certain price doesnt mean that is actually what it sells for.. Used cars are like new cars, there gotta be some room for negotiation.. In a marketing sense this allows the carsalesman to play with the customers head, say you walk into a Ford dealership and they have an 04 XR8 for $40,000. when it comes to negotiating the deal and putting pen to paper the salesman might say ill give you that for $38,000. This persuades the customer therefore to buy the vehicle as they think they are getting some mega deal. Ofcourse not all customers will buy it and will futher shop around, but know that theres always a few dollars in a price that can be written off to move that particular car.

As for Dealers paying to much for cars, they do all the time. There are many factors which can affect the value of a car, anything from salesman lieing to their wholesaler about featers etc to bump a trade in price up, or a car that has something seriously wrong with it which isnt obvious on inspection. There are also costs associated with getting cars to a retail level.. some cars may need up to $1000 spent on them to get them to a showroom standard, things like dints and scrapes have to be repaired along with full detailing, 12 months rego and in some cases new tyres.

Auctions are the way to go in some respects, but in others so are dealers, you get a Warranty (auctions only give you whats left on the car, dealers will usually give you a 5 year warranty), you get to drive the car and see if it drives alright, you can get finance and insurance arranged, and finally you get some time to consider it. You can also go back to that dealership in 6 months time if the car plays up and abuse the salesman... :hihi:
2024.50 Mustang GT 10A Grabber Blue Nite Pony Package. Due Aug 24.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #34
Psycho Chicken
Banned

When you walk onto a Ford lot and see EB and ED Futuras for 6k and Fairmonts for 8k you know something is wrong.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 04:27 AM   #35
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

And EL Gli's for 12k cough-JARVIS-cough

Might look into the auctions for my next car.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2005, 09:02 AM   #36
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Unfortunately looking at fords since 1990 ,they typically go to around 50% of their original value in 3 years. It is not only fords though it is all cars. There is also another factor to think about...Ford have a huge fleet business now and these are depreciated each year..so the written down value would say reduce by the ato rate of 22% per year...?? Therefore these cars essentially depreciate by 66% in 3 years. The companies then sell the cars at a profit margin higher than written down value so there you go!! A magical figure of close to 50% down in value.

This is great for a guy like me who would like an xr6 turbo in 1/1/2 years time!!The cars are really looked after well by fleet companies and tend to be of better quality than we might expect!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 03:01 PM   #37
MRJUCY
Fordless

My friend as being going to the auctions lately looking for a new wagon he was spewing the oher day he saw a AUIII go for $10k but of course was a sedan so no use to him.
Yesterday I was having a look at the fixed price sales they have on the weekend before they auction them during the week. There was a hell of a lot of BA XR6Ts & XR8s manual & auto sedans & utes but the one that really caught my eye was an AUII 220 kw XR8 that was blue,manual,leather & only had 5000kms on it for mid twenties would love to know what it pics up at auctions.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-06-2005, 04:29 PM   #38
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Default Fairmont prices

I was at the AutoGroup auctions at Smithfield (Sydney) on Saturday, their was a Fairmont 5.4litre, 03, 48k available for reserve $21500 and 02 Ghia 5.4, 80K for 25,800. The cars have been there for a few weeks. They didn't reach auction as there was hardly anyone there (40 people at best, down to 25 half way through when the auction was stopped). The market is flooded with ex lease cars and it' s a buyers market. Falcon's seem harder to sell than Commodores - heavier fuel use?? The Auctioneer spent most of the time bidding to himself, hardly any cars sold, maybe one in seven??