Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #31
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
If it is ok to build boat ramps to prevent erosion, skate parks to keep the kids off the footpaths, shark nets to allow the tourists to swim, MX tracks to keep the kids out of the forestry etc etc.

What is the problem with making burnout pads, drag strips et al. for those who wish to play as safely as possible.
None at all, its a great idea.

If burnouts float your boat and you can get enough support to get a facility more power to you i say.

The problem will come though with red tape.

Once you're found a place that is workable you will have to provide insurance, scrutineering, membership fees, usage fees, licensing of a motorsport event, public noise studies, etc etc the costs leave people cold....

The litigative nature of people now will necessitate anyone who's taking responsibility for such a facility to cover their bums big time.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't SA already have AIR, Mallala, Tailems bend etc for motorsport fun?

I still can't see how this will get the D/H's off the street though, because all of the cost, regulations and red tape will put them off using such a facility, and most get a buzz from breaking the law and showing off in public anyway....

Old 10-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

pulling out of this one, got work to do
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 03:01 PM   #33
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

What is the problem with making burnout pads, drag strips et al. for those who wish to play as safely as possible.
part of the problem for governments is the demographic of people who are "burnout enthusiasts"

warning gross generalisations to follow.

i love street machine culture. i have been attending car shows including summernats, powercruise & supernats for as long as i have been an adult. the general attitude of this culture is very different from that of my local golf club or boat club. burnout enthusiasts are usually working class, love a drink, do not respect authority and partially enjoy being seen as rebels who dont play by the rules. for want of a better term they are often "politically incorrect" in regards to their views on noise or air pollution. they are not represented by a single organisation and are often fragmented into groups along brands or geography.

so, when local government X is given the option to grant land to either the white collar golf club with elderly quiet "law abiding" members or the local car club full of younger people with "noisy" cars. which will they pick? governments always choose the easiest option less likely to upset the people who support them.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 03:06 PM   #34
T-Pak Addict
Jim

I have to admit I do enjoy the odd burnout, but there is a time and place to do it....

There does need to be a place to do this legally in a central location that can be open on a friday & saturday night for those people that want to do this...... I am sure it would be packed with plenty of takers willing to shell out some dollars to do it......

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 03:07 PM   #35
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
part of the problem for governments is the demographic of people who are "burnout enthusiasts"

warning gross generalisations to follow.

i love street machine culture. i have been attending car shows including summernats, powercruise & supernats for as long as i have been an adult. the general attitude of this culture is very different from that of my local golf club or boat club. burnout enthusiasts are usually working class, love a drink, do not respect authority and partially enjoy being seen as rebels who dont play by the rules. for want of a better term they are often "politically incorrect" in regards to their views on noise or air pollution. they are not represented by a single organisation and are often fragmented into groups along brands or geography.

so, when local government X is given the option to grant land to either the white collar golf club with elderly quiet "law abiding" members or the local car club full of younger people with "noisy" cars. which will they pick? governments always choose the easiest option less likely to upset the people who support them.
yes, summed up nicely.
Old 10-03-2010, 03:31 PM   #36
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman

If burnouts float your boat and you can get enough support to get a facility more power to you i say.

Once you're found a place that is workable you will have to provide insurance, scrutineering, membership fees, usage fees, licensing of a motorsport event, public noise studies, etc etc the costs leave people cold....

The litigative nature of people now will necessitate anyone who's taking responsibility for such a facility to cover their bums big time.

Correct me if i'm wrong but doesn't SA already have AIR, Mallala, Tailems bend etc for motorsport fun?

I still can't see how this will get the D/H's off the street though, because all of the cost, regulations and red tape will put them off using such a facility, and most get a buzz from breaking the law and showing off in public anyway....
There is NO venue for 1/4 mile offstreet/ comp meets in sleepy old Adelaide.. AIR is dead.. Tailem is up in air gettin it's sh.. Together.. And Mallalla only does roundy roundy's and drifting..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 03:35 PM   #37
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
There is NO venue for 1/4 mile offstreet/ comp meets in sleepy old Adelaide.. AIR is dead.. Tailem is up in air gettin it's sh.. Together.. And Mallalla only does roundy roundy's and drifting..
Ok, but drag racing isn't the same as doing burnouts is it..
I doubt the people doing burnouts or street racing in built up areas are interested in structured regulated drag racing anyway.....

That said it sounds like there are still plenty of ways to enjoy your car off road legally in S.A other than just drag racing....

Old 10-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #38
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ok, but drag racing isn't the same as doing burnouts is it?
I doubt the people doing burnouts or street racing in built up areas are interested in structured regulated drag racing anyway.....

That said it sounds like there are still plenty of ways to enjoy your car off road legally in S.A other than just drag racing....
Ha ha ha.... Yeah righto swingin a big old XA Falcon around at the drifty's...
Old 10-03-2010, 03:43 PM   #39
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
Ha ha ha.... Yeah righto swingin a big old XA Falcon around at the drifty's...
Why Not? Cars have steering wheels too!!!

Old 10-03-2010, 04:07 PM   #40
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Speaking for myself here…

If there was a legal venue up here to do burnouts whenever the need arose…I’d barely use it…if not at all.
It’s far more of a thrill chucking marleys on public roads…
Hypothetically speaking *wink wink nudge nudge* if I were to do a burnout on a public road, I’d pick somewhere with no traffic, no people and on a backroad…In saying that, given the right opportunity, I’d do illegal actions elsewhere too, why? Because it’s fun!
I doubt there’d be one person on here who would say that being sideways, smoke everywhere, tyres squealing and engine at full noise on a public road isn’t fun.

Everyone gets up on here flapping their gums and acting like they are a model citizen.
I’ve done my fair share of illegal behaviour in my car…I’ve just never been caught for it. If I were to get caught, I’d man up and face the consequences of my actions.

*chucks on flame suit*

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:08 PM   #41
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

I just think it is hypocritical comming from Lowndes (of whom I am, and remain a fan) who use to love doing donuts at a certain Intersection at Deception Bay in whatever latest model holden he was driving at the time(mid 90's), or wheelstanding his V8 shorty landcruiser away from the lights.

Not everyone has short a memory Craig. Do not be a puppet.

And as for Whincup, we have all seen him in action after a race, and if we pick on Footballers for being poor role models when they give someone a backhander on the field, then what does his behaviour tell his fans?

A case of do as I say not as I do.

Why can't someone throw some damn concrete in a paddock somewhere and start a weekly burnout comp if it is such an issue down there, might even make a buck or two?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:40 PM   #42
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

First of all 95% of australia is a shooting range and its legal .
So it a mute point chalk and cheese.

I dont know if a Motorplex will help with getting ************** of the street . My guess the best way to that is to make shooting legal in the other 5% of australia .
But this article was asking for the comments its getting . Lowdness said dont do it on the street do it on the track . Hey no track .
All i know its a good as oppurtunity as it gets to get the message of the s.a boys to the goverment they need a track .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 04:53 PM   #43
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
First of all 95% of australia is a shooting range and its legal .
So it a mute point chalk and cheese.

I dont know if a Motorplex will help with getting *******
******* of the street . My guess the best way to that is to make shooting legal in the other 5% of australia .
But this article was asking for the comments its getting . Lowdness said dont do it on the street do it on the track . Hey no track .
All i know its a good as oppurtunity as it gets to get the message of the s.a boys to the goverment they need a track .
But they have 3 facilities already...

Old 10-03-2010, 04:56 PM   #44
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Speaking for myself here…

If there was a legal venue up here to do burnouts whenever the need arose…I’d barely use it…if not at all.
It’s far more of a thrill chucking marleys on public roads…
Hypothetically speaking *wink wink nudge nudge* if I were to do a burnout on a public road, I’d pick somewhere with no traffic, no people and on a backroad…In saying that, given the right opportunity, I’d do illegal actions elsewhere too, why? Because it’s fun!
I doubt there’d be one person on here who would say that being sideways, smoke everywhere, tyres squealing and engine at full noise on a public road isn’t fun.

Everyone gets up on here flapping their gums and acting like they are a model citizen.
I’ve done my fair share of illegal behaviour in my car…I’ve just never been caught for it. If I were to get caught, I’d man up and face the consequences of my actions.

*chucks on flame suit*
No need to put on flame suit, at least you are honest. We all did similar things, although not to the same level as this moron. The thing is one day you grow up and see the stupidity of it and the risk now does not seem worth it. It happens to everyone, they grow up and develop responsibility, it just takes some longer than others.

For all those that say these guys are forced to do their burnouts on the street because adelaide does not have a drag strip.

Brisbane has a drag strip, people do the same thing here.
Perth has motorplex, people do the same thing there.
Sydney has a drag strip, people do it there.
Melbourne has a drag strip and guess what, people do it there too.

It has nothing to do with there being no drag strip, it has everything to do with the sense of danger, the thrill of it being illegal and the buzz of doing it in front of as many people as possible. A drag strip is not going to fix that and never will because it does not fill all those elements.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #45
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and only one is open. That one facility doesn't cater for those who want to drag race, or those who want to do burnouts!
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:10 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Huh??.. : Name me one venue that is easily accesible and open to the public on a regular basis to the public??.. Then name me one open for business all setup ready to rock for drag racing..... Try climbing off the high horse and living in our state for a while.. Where the current political party condemns certain forms of motorsport!!
Old 10-03-2010, 05:13 PM   #47
T-Pak Addict
Jim

This should cause some fun

Jim D of Craigmore Posted at 1:51 PM Today
One thing I would love to hear about in the next few days is Lowndes or Wincup asking Media Mike where are the racetrack facilities in this state are and ask him to see them..... Maybe just maybe something might get done. If you are going to the Clipsal 500 and see Lowndes or Wincup tell them, talk to them, get them to ask Mr Rann about our so called places to keep it off the streets.

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread

Last edited by T-Pak Addict; 10-03-2010 at 05:17 PM. Reason: more info
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #48
ED Classic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Fines and crushing cars etc wont stop (then again maybe nothing will) street burnouts but a legalised and government supported venue/event would put a big dent in it and they do make a bit out of speeding/hooning fines to supports such a event, unlike supporting safe injecting rooms, free needles skateboarding etc
ED Classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:18 PM   #49
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Why is it that since my post, 4 members have continued with the "if they had somewhere to do it legally, they would not do it on the streets" argument, without addressing my point that 4 other cities do have such facilities but people still pull burnouts on the street? Is that one too hard to explain? Does it not suit your argument?
Old 10-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #50
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
For all those that say these guys are forced to do their burnouts on the street because adelaide does not have a drag strip.

This is true.

Idiots will be idiots no matter where they are or what facilities are available.

He was probably trying to impress the mass of females that were probably around on Rundle Street. Because as every guy knows, a burnout like that will literally peel all their clothes off and having them jump straight in the car :
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #51
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why is it that since my post, 4 members have continued with the "if they had somewhere to do it legally, they would not do it on the streets" argument, without addressing my point that 4 other cities do have such facilities but people still pull burnouts on the street? Is that one too hard to explain? Does it not suit your argument?
Yes, there are facilities in QLD, NSW, VIC and WA. Yes burnous still happen on street, but the majority of the people doing illegal burnouts are too tight to stump up to do it legally.
Forced Performance Tuned
Old 10-03-2010, 05:33 PM   #52
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:

Because posts that are actually valid and make good points are generally ignored in these kind of threads.

In reply to your earlier post, I couldn't agree more.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:36 PM   #53
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

As i have said many times provide a decent facility for Drag Racing get the people off the street and use icons such as Lowndes (Since he was dumb enough to put his neck on the line for this without any research), Winterbottom, Ambrose, Webber, hell Alan Jones to apeal to the older ground of hoons and Alan Moffet for the older ones still :P put a positive public pressure to use these great facilities then when people are dumb enough to do what the other idiot did take him to the cleaners.

No good saying "take it to the track" and pointing to a Drag venue that hasn't been open in 2-3 Years, as for suggesting circuit or drift many of the people who do the right thing and use the tracks, they are there build cars just for the 1/4 mile, not something that can be converted into a drift of circuit weapon without huge financial outlay not to mention the fact some people enjoy the pursuit of a Timeslip rather than a laptime.

Come on Australia, lets stop whinging and finger pointing, lets spend some money and re-build/build decent Drag Racing facilities in SA & Vic, and put a positive spin back in to being a car enthusiest (not just those guys that polish them to metal either) instead of all this Hoon & Moron banter we seem to be stuck in here on AFF.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #54
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
to answer your question, this is exactly the reason why people will continue to be idiots, it's just the way some people are. The whole 'oh i don't have somewhere to do it legally' is just a cliche crock of ********** spun by those who know there's a good chance that'll never happen anyway, purely to justify their actions.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #55
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:

Having a facility doesn't eliminate the problem but not having one certainly does increase it. Just ask the Redcliffe traffic branch.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:46 PM   #56
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Easy we need more facilities . I say just keep building them until people stop doing it on the street.
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #57
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

i'm all for building a facility, but am i for taxpayers funding it? the only other money i can see is that which is taken from registration costs, eg the TAC fund, and frankly i think that is far better suited to going to the families of those affected by the road toll.

If enough of you are passionate, get together and pay for a slap of concrete to be dropped in one of your paddock's, charge admission, see how popular it is and maybe a new business can start.

You may wish to investigate council regulations and legalities though.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:54 PM   #58
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
Easy we need more facilities . I say just keep building them until people stop doing it on the street.
It will never get to that point, unless every street ends in a donut pad.
Old 10-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #59
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO AU XR8
Yes, there are facilities in QLD, NSW, VIC and WA. Yes burnous still happen on street, but the majority of the people doing illegal burnouts are too tight to stump up to do it legally.
Exactly... Which is why a drag facility will have no impact on getting these people to stop doing this stuff on our roads and besides, you can't do this kind of thing at a drag track anyway.

Old 10-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #60
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It will never get to that point, unless every street ends in a donut pad.
I agree, but by having facilities available, the amount of people participating in on street idiocy (like this case, not all burnouts are idiocy. Time/Place comes into thoughts).
Forced Performance Tuned