Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-10-2011, 09:09 AM   #31
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: People who can't stay in their lanes

The spot to watch for lane aficionados is the Pacific Hwy just south of Turramarra, Sydney where there are no lane markings for a short distance on a bend due to peak hour tidal lane-marking changes. At least half of drivers can't handle the short gap. If you're in the left lane you get cars in the right lanes suddenly going into the left on top of you.

My best one was coming off the F3 at Pennant Hills Rd, in the left lane on the turn and a member of the grey army with a Landcruiser and caravan from Queensland in the middle lane suddenly decides to take a short cut round the corner via the left lane right on top of me. One time I regretted that the Territory has such a pathetic horn!

A pity that so many licences come out of cornflakes packets.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:17 AM   #32
cham
Closet Hoon

People who can't stay in their lanes AND people who constantly sit in the right lane of a dual carriageway doing 10-15kms under the speed limit. These people also don't seem to know how to use a rear view mirror (even though theys seem to have mirrors that extend the width of the windscreen)!

I thought the rule was keep left unless overtaking.......Must have changed recently and I wasn't notified.

NOW: 2011 HSV R8 Clubsport with Walkinshaw Exhaust, Suspension and 20" Alloys.....
cham is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #33
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushbasher
I live rurally so I have a whole different set of gripes about idiots with wheatbix licences but I'd love to see one of you city slickers put a set of wrap around scrub bars front and rear on your work hack and let some of these morons run into you just so it leaves a nice reminder on their nice shiny car of just how brain dead they are behind the wheel. There's a great technique where just at the point of impact you lean on them for just a moment and brake at the same time then your scrub bar leaves a nice big gate stripe down their flank and if you get it just right, rips the rear bumper off too. If you carry an in car cam then when they try to tell the insurance company that you ran into them you have the video proof otherwise just like the one in the link above. Hope he had scrub bars.

Bushbasher
If I had the money I would love to I'd especially love to get one of those big bike racks for the backside of the car, I've already had one guy write his car off rear-ending me, one of those would have done even more damage
Old 28-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #34
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
Time for a rant.

Over the past few weeks i've been close to being smacked into at least 5 times by people who can't even manage to stay in their own lane. Its really getting on my nerves. It seems like just about every day I have to move over in my lane to avoid some tool who crosses into my lane, obviously taking their eyes of the road or not concentrating. Seems to be more prevalent by the day.

Anyone else starting to notice this lack of lane discipline?

Surely its not too hard to stay between the white lines is it?
Tasmanian drivers on holiday to the mainland.
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 10:17 AM   #35
CarTooner:-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
...Or worse still, the people who decide to sit in the centre of a 5-6m gap to turn right holding everyone up wanting to turn left because they don't have the bloody brain power to to realise that staying to the right would allow other cars to turn left???? (Happens every day at the bottom of my street and I'm close to going down there 1 night to paint my own white lines and turn arrows...)
I can relate to that
Common-sense and courtesy are not too common.
I'm also amazed by the number of drifters texting on their mobile phones.
CarTooner:-) is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #36
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Everything I've read are my pet hates in drivers these days.

Two incidents come to mind about not staying in your lane/trying to remove the front of my car with the side of yours...

One happened when I overtook someone doing 60 in a 70, and as I started to overtake them, they decided they needed to overtake the guy in front of them. I had my hadn on the horn for a good thirty seconds (the idiot literally just indicated, then drited into my lane). He seriously didn't realise, then waved as though I let him in.... Yeah, he got the finger as I drove past him >=/

The second is the massive roundabout in Doncaster, hated this roundabout ever since I came across it, and hate it even more now. heading north with the three lanes that go straight, the other half always goes in the inside lane (then we don't have to deal with the idiots trying to outrun each other in the two that converge), yeah, didn't work this time. The guy beside him decided he needed to move over right to let the guy on the outside lane in. Dave had to mount the centrestrip, and DRIVE ON IT. The guy completely merged into his lane.

I tell you what, when the south-east to north commute ends for me I'm going to be a very happy train into the city traveller.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 01:28 PM   #37
XESP351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The worst bit is if you're minding you own business in your own lane and someone decides to moves lanes and hit you, you cannot prove that it was them and not you that came out of their lane unless you have witnesses or cameras.

Where Dawson St turns into and becomes Melville Rd in Brunswick is where a lady in a little Jazz came out of her lane and hit my car a while ago but was rude and arrogant and claimed that I hit her. $500 excess later my car was fixed but not hers, she paid for hers as the insurance company conculded there was no evidence to confirm who was at fault. I was ****ed.
XESP351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 01:39 PM   #38
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

I've noticed the increase (or apparent increase) as well.

I'm also beeping people more lately when stuck behind them as the lights go green and they don't move. I blame it on the increasing use of smart mobile phones at red lights. See it all the time now.

As for drifting across lanes during a turn, there's the Franco Cozzo corner in Footscray (Melbourne) that goes from Dynon into Moore, and the turning guide lines break up during the turn. About every third time I go through there, I witness someone lose track of the lines and drift over into the other turning lane, causing a near collision.

I wrote to the council and they said they can't do anything because the guide lines have to be broken for pedestrians to walk over when it's raining, or they can slip on the paint!!

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 02:31 PM   #39
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Over the past few weeks i've been close to being smacked into at least 5 times by people who can't even manage to stay in their own lane.
And if they were to cause an accident im sure "speed" would be the blame and more "speed" cameras were needed.

Im seeing alot more of this too along with cutting lanes with no idicators and not keeping left unless overtaking. Nine times out of ten they are on the mobile...
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 02:41 PM   #40
wulos
Forum Director

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind-the-scenes effort. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his advice, tips/tricks in the Art and Photography section of the Forum. 

Why, o why, can't AFF have threads that are positive and helpful in nature, rather then being argumentative tripe, cram full of arguments, insults, and stereotypical assumptions??
wulos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 02:45 PM   #41
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Happens alot to me too, mainly from the iPhone loving P platers. Also red lights are a real problem where I am, especially across the train tracks at the intersection of Warrigal and Beenleigh Roads. 3 tracks with lights and a dedicated turn left over these tracks with give way feature.

I've seen plenty of misses and plenty of stupid mistakes at that intersection and I've been in the area about 6 weeks.
Old 28-10-2011, 02:47 PM   #42
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

I have something positive. Twice in the passed two months my car has been rear ended. I just look in the rear view mirror and just wave to the "oh, I'm sorry" drivers indicating to them that all is good, and then drive off.

I love my towbar.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 03:20 PM   #43
|Nate
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, just last night heading out of the city on Kings way at this location, I was sitting at the lights in the furthest right lane, the middle lane was open and there was another car in the left.
The lights had been red for a couple of seconds and just as the opposite side was actually taking off, this random bozo just seemed to not see the red light and casually drove through the red making everyone slam on their brakes.

I just sat there gob smacked to say the least.
|Nate is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 04:28 PM   #44
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wulos
Why, o why, can't AFF have threads that are positive and helpful in nature, rather then being argumentative tripe, cram full of arguments, insults, and stereotypical assumptions??
if i cut someone off or vague into their lane.. i always give them a smile and a wave...
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #45
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
if i cut someone off or vague into their lane.. i always give them a smile and a wave...
Most people give you the finger if you rebuke them with a gesture or a honk of the horn.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 05:24 PM   #46
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

indeed you have to drive and think for the other person too(if you have time), half an hour ago i watched a bloke move from the right lane into the left cutting off a truck, last night while sitting just under the limit with the rest of the traffic on cruise control............... traveling north on the western ring road, a young bloke in a vl turbo decided he would take some of my lane when he came from behind me at high speed in a roadworks area with 3 lanes merging into 2,
missing my henry and the concrete barrier by at least............ a couple of inches, man it was close, a mental picture of me bouncing his head off the vl bonnet came to mind, i truly dislike driving in melbourne these days.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 05:58 PM   #47
No.6

I love rant threads!

Things i hate:

1. People swinging out to turn left or right at the last second to make a sharper 'motorsport' style turn.
2. People that dont indicate, or indicate when they have already changed lanes.
3. people that force their way into a lane by almost hitting your car, using the 'you wont risk damaging your car' mentality.
4. motorbike riders that squeeze between cars IN MOVING TRAFFIC. I dont mind it if they do it while everyone is stopped, but to do it while traffic is moving? do they have a death wish!??!

The other day i was on a 3 lane road that would eventually have the far left lane turning left, and the two remaining lanes turning right. I was travelling in the far right lane, intending to move into the middle lane because after the right turn i would be making a left. I overtook the car in the middle lane, started indicating to change lanes and i nearly got CLEANED UP via a side swipe by some **** that decided to fly through the far left lane and change to the middle lane WITHOUT INDICATING. I was already halfway into the middle lane when i saw his car swing past mine by less than a metre. If he cleaned me up, he would have been at fault because he came up from behind me when i was already changing lanes.

i hope that makes sense. But seriously, i dont understand how some people get their licences.

Also, the other day at the shopping centre i saw an elderly lady use a car and a pole has her indications she had either reversed to far, or gone in too much while she was reversing out of her parking spot.
No.6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 06:02 PM   #48
IDT
Marko

Quote:
, because if we didn't vent here we may just do iot on the road. Consider it a public service
Old 28-10-2011, 06:15 PM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor_Evans
He was driving a white van (my guess is that he was a tradie) and decided to ask me if I wanted to buy some speakers

When you see white van, assume someone is going to ask you if you want to buy a set of speakers, because "Their boss ordered one too many".
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 06:21 PM   #50
joolz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Unfortunatey there arent Mr whippy vans on the roads handing out free soft serves to the safe and positive drivers. Instead the idiot ones catch our attention and we wonder why there are so many accidents on the road. Maybe if AFF could run a "do in the idiot thread" with photos and info that the public and police can see we may actually see less of these idiots on the road. Now theres something positive.
joolz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #51
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Man, have I opened a can of worms.

My dad always told me when I was learning to always watch what your doing, and the other drivers will take car of themselves. Seemed to work well for the first 10 years, but over the last year or two i'm now constantly watching others to avoid their stupidity.

Things have definately changed for the worst. Police really need to start cracking down on bad drivers, especially ones not paying attention to what they are doing. But when was the last time you saw a police car?

Speed cameras may make revenue but they don't stop bad driving.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:13 PM   #52
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These things are a direct result of the licencing system and the way that traffic is policed.

When the hardest thing you need to do regarding car control on a licence test is a parallel park and pretty much the only policing on the road is in the form of some hidden camera, you get crappy driving standards and draconian speed limits and speeding laws.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #53
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Man, have I opened a can of worms.

My dad always told me when I was learning to always watch what your doing, and the other drivers will take car of themselves. Seemed to work well for the first 10 years, but over the last year or two i'm now constantly watching others to avoid their stupidity.

Things have definately changed for the worst. Police really need to start cracking down on bad drivers, especially ones not paying attention to what they are doing. But when was the last time you saw a police car?

Speed cameras may make revenue but they don't stop bad driving.
dead right, more cameras and less police probably creates more poor driving habits.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 09:25 PM   #54
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

One thing that annoys me is impatient drivers, for instance, coming home from work, there is one spot which only takes a small bingle or a glut of traffic to go through and it'll jam up the entire road.

We where slowly approaching the last intersection before the freeway entrance and someone who had a red light decided to go into the intersection while we with the green where waiting for it to clear up before we'd move in, or we'd block it off, so basically he just jumped in, tried to turn right and stopped in the middle of the intersection and blocked it off for us 3 lanes of traffic.

So not only has he just jumped the queue by 10 seconds, he's now making everyone else wait because he couldn't wait his turn.

So I just drove up the footpath to get past him.

And now I'm a massive hypocrit
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2011, 11:54 PM   #55
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

Ahh Im not alone!!!

Parramatta Rd in Sydney is a shocker. Also when people turn left into a road they think there driving a B Double and need to merge into the right lane thinking there gona mount the kerb!
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 09:39 AM   #56
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by No.6
4. motorbike riders that squeeze between cars IN MOVING TRAFFIC. I dont mind it if they do it while everyone is stopped, but to do it while traffic is moving? do they have a death wish!??!
I hate when motorbikers do it any time. I was first at the lights in the right lane the other day. Motorbike came flying up the middle and pulled up in front of me. Lights go green, takes this guy a few seconds to react, then he moves off like a grandma. By now at least 3 or 4 cars had pasted me in the left lane. He got to the top speed of 45 in the 60 zone then put is right indicator on and moved slowly into the turning lane.

I blasted this guy as I went past him. If you are going to jump the que at the lights and not stay in your spot, the least you can do is move off at a reasonable speed.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 11:02 AM   #57
XR6TCraig
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73
I hate when motorbikers do it any time. I was first at the lights in the right lane the other day. Motorbike came flying up the middle and pulled up in front of me. Lights go green, takes this guy a few seconds to react, then he moves off like a grandma. By now at least 3 or 4 cars had pasted me in the left lane. He got to the top speed of 45 in the 60 zone then put is right indicator on and moved slowly into the turning lane.

I blasted this guy as I went past him. If you are going to jump the que at the lights and not stay in your spot, the least you can do is move off at a reasonable speed.
I can tell you that as a motorcyclist, that lane filtering is actually a self preservation technique that we use to stay alive. If this ****** you off a little then I am sorry but my well being is more important than your mood.

If I can move to the front of a queue of stopped traffic safely I will do so because while I am out in front of everyone, I am being seen and noticed, not being caught up in a blind spot just waiting to be knocked off, merged in on or used for traction by car drivers who fail to check mirrors or do headchecks and indicate.

And lets face it, 99 times out of 100 you aren't going to be held up by a bike that lane filters, so it affects you in no way what so ever. I am sorry that in this one instance, you were held up for 5 or 6 seconds though. No wonder you blasted him with your horn!

Last edited by XR6TCraig; 29-10-2011 at 11:11 AM.
XR6TCraig is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 11:50 AM   #58
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

And the people who move into a right turn bay not at the start of the bay but half way along or at the last minute thus holding up more traffic behind them.
It is interesting driving an 11 metre long 2.4 metre wide truck -people who occupy 1 and a bit of the next lane find a truck pull up beside them half an inch away, interesting watching them squirm back into thir lane as the light goes green.
I came round a curve on a 4 lane motorway in the truck recently. The left lane was stopped with people getting off the motorway. As i came round the curve I spotted a car sticking 2 foot into my lane also in that left lane but also occupying 2 foot of my lane. Traffic in the next lane meant I had to come to a rapid stop behind her. Driver was not even aware that she could have been destroyed by a 23 tonne truck as I patiently waited for her to get out of my way. I suppose it may have been my fault if I had crashed ... but maybe not .. as we have forward facing video cameras which go onto record after a certain g force application.
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 12:53 PM   #59
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiginmackay
I can tell you that as a motorcyclist, that lane filtering is actually a self preservation technique that we use to stay alive. If this ****** you off a little then I am sorry but my well being is more important than your mood.

If I can move to the front of a queue of stopped traffic safely I will do so because while I am out in front of everyone, I am being seen and noticed, not being caught up in a blind spot just waiting to be knocked off, merged in on or used for traction by car drivers who fail to check mirrors or do headchecks and indicate.

And lets face it, 99 times out of 100 you aren't going to be held up by a bike that lane filters, so it affects you in no way what so ever. I am sorry that in this one instance, you were held up for 5 or 6 seconds though. No wonder you blasted him with your horn!
Motorcycling 1.01: If you do not move through the traffic it will move through you.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2011, 01:32 PM   #60
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Motorcycling 1.01: If you do not move through the traffic it will move through you.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post