Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-06-2005, 05:11 PM   #31
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

In this day and age, im sure if the dog had attacked them and bit them... you would be sued for negligence? or having vicious dogs?. I know, it sucks....

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:15 PM   #32
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
In this day and age, im sure if the dog had attacked them and bit them... you would be sued for negligence? or having vicious dogs?. I know, it sucks....
without a doubt. its a joke
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:20 PM   #33
Teki04
Clio 182 CUP!

Ive even heard that if an intruder has an accident in your house (falls over etc), you can be sued.... Unsure if thats true, cause i dont see why... HE SHOULDNT BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

But yea, hope it doesnt set you back too far!... ive always had alarms on our family cars, and wouldnt go without one... but the one on my fez is bloody sensitive... kick a wheel, bump a mirror, and it will go off!

'In fact, so good is the Clio 182 with the Cup chassis set-up that I feel moved to make a bold statement - I think it's the best hot hatch ever built.' (EVO Jan 04)
Teki04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 05:25 PM   #34
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teki04
Ive even heard that if an intruder has an accident in your house (falls over etc), you can be sued.... Unsure if thats true, cause i dont see why... HE SHOULDNT BE THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE!
this, as far as i know, is true.

if someone were to break into our house via the backyard, and happened to drown in the pool....we could be sued for not having a pool fence

however, we dont need a pool fence. we have enough of the required things done that a pool fence isn't required by law....if we didnt have those things done, and someone did drown while trying to break in, we'd be liable....its an interesting law system we have
Old 08-06-2005, 06:25 PM   #35
bscampbell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Well Dez, to start with... DONT MAKE COMMENTS LIKE THIS!!!! :
If I saw this (and I have prior to this thread) I''d know you DONT have an alarm. I could then go and look at another recent thread where you and LG discussed your stereos and know its worth a decent amount.
Next step, easy to find out your in Hoppers.
Etc etc etc.
Basically, you have, in all your posts, given any likely theif the information needed to know when to hit and close enough to where. They have pics of your car and a known piece of equipment in your car...and they know you DONT have an alarm.
Time to start learning that the forums can be used for evil as well as good.
So how important is it that you cover your number plates when showing off your vehicle on the forums?

2009 VW Caravelle
bscampbell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #36
max^power
Formerly au^ute

Thumbs down

Know the feeling Dez, happened to me Monday Morning, what a way to start the week!

Seems i got off pretty lightly, only losing the cash.

In my opinion the Police are f'ing useless. If you're 3km over the speed llimit, they'll catch ya. but if your property gets violated "we'll try to find them". Wasted my fuel going there.

I've scattered some real bullets on my passenger seat, lets see if the bastard wants to try again

Hope things work out mate, there are too many selfish pricks out there, i guess they'll get whats coming eventually.
max^power is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #37
Twisted
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
this, as far as i know, is true.

if someone were to break into our house via the backyard, and happened to drown in the pool....we could be sued for not having a pool fence

however, we dont need a pool fence. we have enough of the required things done that a pool fence isn't required by law....if we didnt have those things done, and someone did drown while trying to break in, we'd be liable....its an interesting law system we have
*Puts his insurance guy hat on again*
Very very true, if a burgler was to break into your house and trip on some ripped carpet or a childs toy left on the floor he would be able to sue you. Fortunately this is why its compulsory for home and contents insurance to include legal/public liability cover. Definately a screwed up legal loophole. There was a thing in America where a lady tripped over a child in a department store and successfully sued for compensation after she was injured as a result. The funny thing is that it was her own child she tripped over! Wtf?!?

SHOW YOUR SUPPORT
FordForums.com.au
Hats, Stickers & Patches are now available!
Twisted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:00 PM   #38
The Mighty Red

Sorry to hear your bad news, i have been broken into a few times over the years it really does suck!! Only positive way to look at it is that they didn't take your car aswell and burn it or wreck it or even worse flog it to death so its rooted but gets found and returned to you in a very different state to the last time you saw it , this happened to my mates XB GS years ago and the car was never the same after he got it back.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:17 PM   #39
conordec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
i've got 2 german shepards....but you don't often park a car in the backyard.....
no probs, but what I was getting at was a car behind a fence, so the dogs are near the car... .wasn't digging.. it sucks i know.
conordec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 10:23 PM   #40
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by bscampbell
So how important is it that you cover your number plates when showing off your vehicle on the forums?

The choice is yours, there is no enforcement, but at the end of the day, if you are a target, bah, there is nothing you can do.

Most shows and events we have plate covers.

Private gallery pics should be edited IMHO
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2005, 11:03 PM   #41
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I moved down to Melb from Sydney, drove all the way down with my girlfriend and moved all my stuff in here (she wasn't moving for another few months). About 2 hours out of Melb (on the way there) I arranged insurance cover for contents by phone (I'm renting) for my whole property even though she thought I didn't need it. I moved in the next day, unpacked all the fun cool stuff (TV, CD's, DVD's, PS2, Wine, Kitchen all the useful and cool stuff. Flew back to Sydney on the Thursday night and on the Friday morning was going to drive her up the Blue Mountains to propose to her somewhere romantic, had it all planned. Got a call from the estate agent to say some lowlife numbnuts had kicked in my door, in a secure building, and that it was still half open...

I asked the idiot if anyone had closed it, he said no... so I start to panic. I call the estate agent, swear black and blue telling them to get out there and secure every posession I own on this earth and ask her to walk through and tell me what she sees/doesn't see.

End result -

CD's, DVD's, PS2 (MEMORY CARD!!!!!!!), Wine, Kitchen knives, Discman, Vacuum Cleaner, computer games and a diving knife all gone. I was not amused, thank god I took out insurance. Felt somewhat dodgy when I had to call them 4 days after I took out the policy to report a theft of $5k worth of goods though...

So I took it all in my stride, went away for the weekend, proposed to my girl, she said yes, then I flew back down to Melbourne and had to walk into my place. It was so surreal, such a feeling of betrayal as a human being. I eventually got over it. What's more, I scored a new DVD player, upgraded PS2, Upgraded versions of all my games for free instead of the original ones (had GT3, GTA Vice City, V8 Supercars, Colin McRae3 - replaced with GT4, GTA San Andreas, V8 Supercars 2, Colin Mc Rae 2005...)
Various other junk like every new CD I'd ever wanted!

Moral of the story - I still had the two things I love most in my life. My girl and my health. (and thankfully my car was parked at the airport and not in the garage!)

In the end, they're only material posessions, I can't exactly afford to give everything away but it taught me not to be so attached to my material posessions.

That and that if I ever see anyone in my apartment he'll end up with a Playstation 2 wedged sideways up his butt. I'll just remember to take ou the friggin memory card first!!
Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 PM   #42
chippa6
Novice Professional

The exactly same thing happened to me a few years ago. i came out the first morning and found that my door locks had be mashed with a screwdriver i think they were spooked by something.

replaced locks and installed sensorlight, came home a few times over a 1 month period and the lights were always aimed at the ground.

The old man tightened them up as hard as buggery, and he would sit outside in the front garden a few nights.

woke up to find interior light on and every bit of stereo missing, they didn't knock down the lights and they were unmovable, but unscrewed them, woulda been bloody hot 100w outdoor spotlights.

all this in our driveway right in front of our house. strongly learnt the value of alarms after that point. !!! Police couldn't do anything but i saw them a few times driving up and down the street after that.
Old 08-06-2005, 11:14 PM   #43
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au^ute
Know the feeling Dez, happened to me Monday Morning, what a way to start the week!

Seems i got off pretty lightly, only losing the cash.

In my opinion the Police are f'ing useless. If you're 3km over the speed llimit, they'll catch ya. but if your property gets violated "we'll try to find them". Wasted my fuel going there.

I've scattered some real bullets on my passenger seat, lets see if the bastard wants to try again

Hope things work out mate, there are too many selfish pricks out there, i guess they'll get whats coming eventually.

Its easier to catch a criminal when they are right infront of you... Cops aren't all bad and they certainlly do their best.. Petty issues under $1,000 aren't worth the time involved in following up, those criminals eventually get caught when they upgrade to bigger jobs neways...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 12:48 AM   #44
Dez
Banned

just let me say that i don't really blame the cops....i didn't report it expecting them to send the SOG out to locate the maggot...just reported it as i always do if something is report worthy, and also for insurance purposes....

when i saw the print i thought maybe they would have lifted it, but i guess not, and i'm unsure of the actual procedure for that is...so what can ya do...

I've just been down all day. I know its only material possesions and all that, but i work 6 days a week to pay for the shit i buy, so it hurts. also the hassle that im gonna have to go through now to get it all back and re installed etc. its just a pain in the ***.

as for the covering plate issue, i edit my plate out whenever i host up photos, just to be on the safe side, but in reality, there isn't another red TX5 out there with speedy longchamps and lowered etc etc...so if you know the car, you know who's it is etc...and wont mistake it for another 1.

I had my plates covered at the AFD as well, but it is highly unlikely that someone would target me. I mean, my car isn't show spec is it...and the system was far from wild...but it wasn't worth peanuts either.

An alarm ( a decent 1!) will be going on before anything else this time round, and it should have been done in the first place...but thats how the cookie crumbles.

conordec: i know you weren't having a go mate...i got what you meant, but in my situation its not even possible....our front yard is completely open, being at the end of a court, so the cars are all out the front....and the dogs are in the backyard...

I've just had this shit on my mind all day, and have started to piece some of it together. My car was parked in the driveway, right up the driveway so that it was directly in front of the garage door....the house is double story, and my parents bedroom is to the left, and up from where the car was parked....it works out that the bedroom window is almost on top of the car....my dad told me that the dogs woke him up, and that he looked out the window just to see if anything was going on....he saw nothing.

now, my car does have dark tinted windows, but with a torch shining, you'd notice that in an instant up against a dark night....the torch was left in the boot, so i know they used 1. now i thought about it, and how would they have the torch on, but not have my dad see it....then i put it together

the rear floor mat, was used to stop the rear seat from closing (like when you pull your seats down to get into the boot from inside the car). the low life maggot must have been IN the boot, under my parcel shelf (remembering that its removable in a TX5, so its not sealed off from the inside of the car) he used the floor mat to stop the seat from closing, which would have just about locked him in there.

sorry about the long post guys, i'm still ****ed off, but thanks for the kind words
Old 09-06-2005, 04:56 AM   #45
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

****es me off no end when i read shit like this.
Sorry to hear Dez.
Even if they break in & steal nothing you still feel violated so any theft on top of that can really lower your mood.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 08:42 AM   #46
LTDHO
The one and only

Dez, just so I know I read this right.

You have now alarm yet you have an aftermarket stereo?
You left your wallet in the car?

Mate, ya might as well have left the door unlocked and put a sign in the window!

Get an alarm first.. At least if the flashing light doesn't deter amature theives the siren going of will alert you and the thief will leave without stereo (as wallet will be with you)
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:23 AM   #47
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Dez, just so I know I read this right.

You have now alarm yet you have an aftermarket stereo?
You left your wallet in the car?

Mate, ya might as well have left the door unlocked and put a sign in the window!

Get an alarm first.. At least if the flashing light doesn't deter amature theives the siren going of will alert you and the thief will leave without stereo (as wallet will be with you)
thanks. hindsight is 20/20

I might start a thread on this, but i'll ask here for now....where would be the best place to get an alarm installed if you buy 1....without putting yourself at risk....any suggestions?

I was thinking travelling out of my home area and getting it installed by someone...that way they dont live near u etc....
Old 09-06-2005, 11:42 AM   #48
LTDHO
The one and only

PM sent

Alarms are not in hindsight as they are a requirement!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2005, 11:57 AM   #49
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
PM sent

Alarms are not in hindsight as they are a requirement!
they sure are...here's 1 for the signatures guys....i'm an idiot.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:32 PM   #50
Dez
Banned

yay, they even bothered to steal the ashtray, and the surround for the radio ( the 1 that comes in the car, not the HU 1).....so without these 2 parts, its going to look like shit once there is a HU in there again...
if anyone happens to be at a wrecker and notices those 2 parts, for a 1990 AV TX5 Ghia, just PM me or something and i'll have to go grab em....

alternatively, if anyone knows if Ford still sells these parts, and if they aren't ridiculously over-priced, i'll just get them through ford.

thanks