Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2017, 04:51 PM   #31
Peterwl

Default Re: Fords on Fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
HAHAHA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9T3dTAgpkc

I can just imagine the difference in the video, if this was a Terriotory / Ranger, VW, Merc or Audi.

Admitedly I watched a few videos...all train wrecks.. his tosser status is confirmed.

An excellent informative video, I watched the lot. Best post you have done, you should congratulate the adult that told you to post it.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
2002 VX II Commodore Equipe 3.8 Auto
Peterwl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2017, 04:58 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterwl View Post
An excellent informative video, I watched the lot. Best post you have done, you should congratulate the adult that told you to post it.
As stefan mentioned, do you think it would have gone the same way if it was a Ford, instead of a Hyundai?
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2017, 05:47 PM   #33
Peterwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
As stefan mentioned, do you think it would have gone the same way if it was a Ford, instead of a Hyundai?

Your question is fair and polite.

I admit he goes a bit harder on Ford and GM, Mercedes, and Alfa. He has also unloaded some unwanted truths on the French marques as well.

He does say good things about the Japs and Korean cars, but these are all the top sellers in Australia.

At least he had an "expose" on Hyundai, and it all made sense. Maybe the less venom is because Hyundai has a good reputation for customer service, as opposed to Ford, GM, Jeep, etc.

On this particular story, I think that Hyundai should have knocked the "assistance" back, as should have Ford, GM etc. If non standard tyres were fitted, and it was deemed that these contributed to the diff failure, then a fair call by Hyundai of Ford etc.

Just because they serviced the vehicle with them on, checking profile and size of tyres is probably not on the service schedule.

I obviously feel for the owner, but credit where credit is due, John Cadogan did offer a few more cost effective repair options late in the clip.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
Old 29-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #34
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Just because they serviced the vehicle with them on, checking profile and size of tyres is probably not on the service schedule..
One must be diligent whenever rotating tyres, to ensure sizes and wear of the tyres are taken into account where they should be fitted. That is standard practice. The 235 width tyres could well have been fitted by the tech on opposite corners of the car. Part of the service is to check tyres, and faults found (including size anomalies) should be reported to the owner.

The Hyundai tech could well be the cause of the problem by not noticing the different tyre sizes, which the dealer of course did notice later on when they were finding a way to avoid a warranty claim.

John Cadogan completely overlooked this point which may well have absolved the owner of any costs for rectification.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2017, 07:00 PM   #35
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Is there any actual data on how many unmodified Territory's have caught on fire? Or was this a rare occurrence?
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-08-2017, 07:27 PM   #36
Peterwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Ghia View Post
One must be diligent whenever rotating tyres, to ensure sizes and wear of the tyres are taken into account where they should be fitted. That is standard practice. The 235 width tyres could well have been fitted by the tech on opposite corners of the car. Part of the service is to check tyres, and faults found (including size anomalies) should be reported to the owner.

The Hyundai tech could well be the cause of the problem by not noticing the different tyre sizes, which the dealer of course did notice later on when they were finding a way to avoid a warranty claim.

John Cadogan completely overlooked this point which may well have absolved the owner of any costs for rectification.

I am not used to having tyres rotated at services by Ford and Holden dealers over the last five decades I have dealt with them.

East West drives are hard on the front tyres, and warrant a dealer rotation.

I did check the service schedules for a Hyundai i30 SR ( which I will buy eventually ), and it does include a tyre rotation ( to my surprise ).

The exact words from the schedule.

“Rotate tyres front to rear”

You may be too kind to the 18 year old apprentice doing the joyous job by referring to him as a “Tech”

John Cadogan did not overlook this issue entirely, he did state that the issue is “complex “.

The tyre rotation was one of 27 items to replace, inspect, “rotate” on a $259 service.

Expecting the “tyre rotator “ to pay that much close attention to the tyres and knowing the other technical implications of an unusual size tyres, may be a stretch of faith !

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
Old 29-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #37
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah it was informative for clueless brain dead morons with no idea about cars.

Glad I helped educate the ignorant.

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-08-2017, 08:40 PM   #38
Peterwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan View Post
Yeah it was informative for clueless brain dead morons with no idea about cars.

Glad I helped educate the ignorant.

You certainly have educated us about you, thank you for this.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
Old 29-08-2017, 08:50 PM   #39
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

Old 29-08-2017, 09:28 PM   #40
stock1991
Limited supply

unexplained fires are a matter for the court /
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #41
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Quote:
I am not used to having tyres rotated at services by Ford and Holden dealers over the last five decades I have dealt with them.

East West drives are hard on the front tyres, and warrant a dealer rotation.

I did check the service schedules for a Hyundai i30 SR ( which I will buy eventually ), and it does include a tyre rotation ( to my surprise ).

The exact words from the schedule.

“Rotate tyres front to rear”

You may be too kind to the 18 year old apprentice doing the joyous job by referring to him as a “Tech”

John Cadogan did not overlook this issue entirely, he did state that the issue is “complex “.

The tyre rotation was one of 27 items to replace, inspect, “rotate” on a $259 service.

Expecting the “tyre rotator “ to pay that much close attention to the tyres and knowing the other technical implications of an unusual size tyres, may be a stretch of faith !
Tyre rotation is in the service schedule for my FG MII
Old 29-08-2017, 11:48 PM   #42
Peterwl

Quote:
Originally Posted by olfella View Post
Tyre rotation is in the service schedule for my FG MII

You made me go and look at the maintenance schedules of my FG Falcon and my Commodore.

In the Falcon Schedules, it is worded vague.

It is an “optional” service recommendation to rotate “Original factory directional tyres”

Can I interpret this as, if you have factory Asymmetrical radials, there is no need to be rotation in the service ( as an option ). ?

I am curious as to why Ford only state a suggested “optional” rotation for directional tyres.

I am under the impression that FG Falcon series 1 all came standard with Asymmetrical tyres
( Dunlop SP01 ). ?

In the Commodore schedules, I see no rotations of tyres mentioned.

2009 FG XR6 5 Speed
Old 30-08-2017, 12:30 AM   #43
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tyre rotation is in page 134 of the owners manual for the AU series of Falcon Fairmont & XR. It has a diagram which suggests incorporating the spare into rotation, fitting it to the front left, the two fronts & rears swapped over and repeat the cycle for the life of the tyres.
au350hp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 01:05 AM   #44
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hope everybody realises it is 100% possible to make a ''beat up'' about any product or person for that matter. It is as pointless as spouting off statistics as you can make stats support anything you like.
This guy has a brokerage business (suprise suprise) I can totally picture him talking himself up to a client saying how great 'insert here' investments are, not stopping to listen to the clients wants and expectations, because he loves the sound of his voice and he knows the ins and outs of all things financial.
So John, if your so successful in your brokerage business, why are you appearing on self funded look at me videos? Surely things aren't that bad that you have to dig around massively successful companies, looking for failings to point out to the consumer? I have started to see a pattern here John and you probably won't like the results. Could it be John that all of these online posts are a giant distraction from your life spiralling out of control? Your in a lot of debt and the business is not what you thought it would be is it John? Perhaps you would be a better person and a more successful businessman if you stopped putting down others and concentrated on yourself? What do you think John?
Old 30-08-2017, 01:11 AM   #45
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
I'm surprise that people still watch his rantings, his 'expert' advice is about as believable as ACA.
Well said. ACA is pure formula and is as predictable as talk back radio.
Old 30-08-2017, 09:56 AM   #46
Beastie
The Terrain Tamer
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Catering services for a bunch of layabouts and for being an all-round good guy whose sense of community goes above and beyond. 

From Mr Cadogan's website...

https://www.privatefleet.com.au/car-...ord-territory/

So does he recommend a Territory or does he think they are poop (as per his youtube clips)?

Just a short excerpt from the link...

On the road, the big Ford Territory is nimble and secure. You feel safe inside this big Ford – and the ANCAP five-star crash testing result back this feeling up nicely. Active safety features include systems like: DSC, Roll Over Mitigation, TC, ABS, EBD, EBA and even a belt reminder system. Five airbags are standard, and the reversing system (with camera) is an excellent feature – especially in town.

Ford invests millions in the designing and production of the Ford Territory. And it is safe to say that the money is well spent. The Ford Territory is a refined vehicle that suits the Australian environment and its roads – providing the same kind of ease in driving whether it’s around the cities or suburbs, while still offering a worthiness that all customers will be pleased with.

Very safe, spacious and comfortable: the New Ford Territory for 2012 is a real winner!
Old 30-08-2017, 11:04 AM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Call me cynical but could this be the reason that Mr Cadogan goes easy on Hyundai

Old 30-08-2017, 01:10 PM   #48
jmack
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

can he sit any closer to the wheel and the way he is holding it looks like he is having trouble reigning in all that power
jmack is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2017, 01:24 PM   #49
prydey
Rob

He has long been accused of being on the Hyundai payroll
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #50
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I'm as dubious of someone who refers to themselves as an "expert" as I am of a company that has the word "quality" in its name.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2017, 02:45 PM   #51
solarite_guy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: He continually offers Technical Advice that is based on years of experience and knowledge he has gained along the way. The advice has ranged from replies to questions across the various Threads to seeking information from OP and taking that away to undert 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychobimbo View Post
I'm as dubious of someone who refers to themselves as an "expert" as I am of a company that has the word "quality" in its name.
That is so true. The more I learn, and the more algorithms the I develop the more I realise the less i know.
solarite_guy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #52
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock1991 View Post
unexplained fires are a matter for the court /
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZeFDe44Ddo
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2017, 03:50 PM   #53
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched a few of his videos, they guy is a moron and really has no idea.

The odd car catching on fire does not really mean much, unless there is an influx of them, which there isn't considering how many are out there, it's just like the odd plane crashing, the odd house burning down, the odd engine blowing up etc etc.

I would say (and I have not really researched it as I am not that interested), that the number of Fords catching on fire would not be any higher than any other make of car catching on fire.

And I would guess the odd car burning down could well be human error due to people messing with the electrical system, installing driving lights, stereo systems or modifying stuff without any idea etc etc.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 30-08-2017 at 04:13 PM.
XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2017, 08:32 PM   #54
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Call me cynical but could this be the reason that Mr Cadogan goes easy on Hyundai

My wife said he looks like an oyster. I cant quite picture it, but she's on to something.
Old 30-08-2017, 08:37 PM   #55
au350hp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

That sheen on the back of his head is spectacular
Old 30-08-2017, 09:34 PM   #56
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Watched a few of his videos, they guy is a moron and really has no idea.

The odd car catching on fire does not really mean much, unless there is an influx of them, which there isn't considering how many are out there, it's just like the odd plane crashing, the odd house burning down, the odd engine blowing up etc etc.

I would say (and I have not really researched it as I am not that interested), that the number of Fords catching on fire would not be any higher than any other make of car catching on fire.

And I would guess the odd car burning down could well be human error due to people messing with the electrical system, installing driving lights, stereo systems or modifying stuff without any idea etc etc.
Agreed and I might add that, at least here in Sydney, more buses have caught on fire than Ford Territories.
Old 30-08-2017, 10:03 PM   #57
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

He's a disgrace to the engineering profession. If he's objective and impartial I'd like to see him address Hyundai in the same manner.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/548394/h...ecall-hearing/

The numbers involved are much larger than Ford here in Australia.

Here's another one:

https://www.motoring.com.au/recall-w...onnets-108373/

The point is, a fuel hose falling off is not just found on Fords alone, it can happen to other manufacturers. Ford likewise, had a recall to address it.

I've got no time for him.

Last edited by GTP534; 30-08-2017 at 10:08 PM.
GTP534 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #58
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Mr Cardigan is your basic oxygen thief.

No credibility at all.
Mechan1k is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2017, 08:40 AM   #59
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP534 View Post
He's a disgrace to the engineering profession. If he's objective and impartial I'd like to see him address Hyundai in the same manner.

http://www.caradvice.com.au/548394/h...ecall-hearing/
Searching for the Auto expert video sprouting

"Those Ar$$Eholes at Hyundai and Kia are putting your safety at risk......"
Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2017, 02:20 PM   #60
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ ....... now just imagine if that SANTA FE with your wife and kids in it was driving down the motorway and the fuel hose burst/fell off/whatever, and the s...box caught on fire and smoke fills the cabin and the car grinds to a halt in the middle of the motorway with traffic flying by on both sides .......

Anybody can paint a gory picture, Cabogan is very subjective and he is full of whatif's, imagine this, this could have been .... pure subjective conjecture and hyberbole.

Notice he didn't follow through with what the actual cause of the fire was in the Territory, one (an earlier model) caught on fire here in Sydney but it was related to an LPG bottle.