Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Would you use das sudschleife
Hell yes and would drive at an appropriate speed for conditions just like the autobahns 63 75.00%
Maybe if the toll were cheaper, $100 could buy me 2 new tyres 17 20.24%
Yes but I would only drive at 110km/h, over that is too dangerous 0 0%
No it would be too dangerous/expensive, I prefer to drive with trucks, caravans and camrys 4 4.76%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Old 25-09-2010, 08:42 PM   #31
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hell yes,I would use it and with a few small tweaks to the rules me and my security team are ready to roll.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:48 PM   #32
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan
The title should read "Die Sudschleife"....carry on.
Yeh I just copied it off somewhere on the net and change nord to sud.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 08:51 PM   #33
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylancox
On a similar token, can one purchase a massive block of land in the middle of nowhere and turn it into a massive burnout pad, destruction derby or something out of a petrolhead's wildest dreams?
You can do that now. Just get away from the city councils on rural land....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 09:46 PM   #34
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i had an appropriate car i`d happily use it, 160 kph would do me maybe 180 if the car is doing it easy, to me running harder than that for extended periods is not haveing mechanical sympathy for the vehicle,(unless it was a Ford Gt or ferrari or something built for it) i think you`d want to have mandatory stops perhaps every 2 or 3 hours, not only to refresh the driver and fuel up but to let tyres and driveline cool down anyway.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 09:48 PM   #35
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

I just want to know where I can get 2 tyres for $100?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAPOTHETICAL
"Maybe if the toll were cheaper, $100 could buy me 2 new tyres"
Old 25-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #36
Scott

On my last junket to NT with //, I quite happily sat on +/-160 for hours on end. Fuel in the rental XT was 12.5l/100km with two blokes in it and some spirited overtaking.

Given a couple of extra passengers and some luggage, I would guesstimate a 6cyl FG somewhere around 13.5l/100km.

Brisbane to Syd - assuming Flap.Co ran CBD to CBD - at 150km/h would take 6hrs drive time and use 2 tanks of fuel. Return trip therefore would cost $500 and take 12hrs + stops.

No chance of missing the plane, no airport parking, no rental cars, no baggage limits, no rental car and excessive reductions and the convenience of leaving when you want and having your own car at your beck and call.

Sign me up
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 10:03 PM   #37
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
You can do that now. Just get away from the city councils on rural land....
Really? But isn't every piece of land on a shire of some sort meaning there is a some rural council involved?

Also, I've always wondered if those dis-used roads in the middle of nowhere with no speed limit signs or even the old derestriction signs from ages ago are under the road safety act (they probably are, but are not worth policing since nobody uses them )
dylancox is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 10:05 PM   #38
Scott

Quote:
Really? But isn't every piece of land on a shire of some sort meaning there is a some rural council involved?
Get out of town in NT - there aren't even building codes let alone noise rules.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 10:08 PM   #39
MexicanBatman
Banned

Other it costs me that in airfares return, or less than double business class return, I work for am airline and the airport is close for me, why drive I hate long distance highway drives.... If it were mountain roads the whole way there'd be something to do, but cruise on motorways make me sleepy
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 10:16 PM   #40
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006

No chance of missing the plane, no airport parking, no rental cars, no baggage limits, no rental car and excessive reductions and the convenience of leaving when you want and having your own car at your beck and call.
Absolutely fabulous. No airport security (laptop out of bag, in tray, laptop back in bag with scratches ) and time-wasting body searches or explosives testing, no waiting for baggage on the carousel.

But cant we get all these benefits by abolishing open road speed limits (or abolish (or minimize like like in USA) the enforcement thereof ). I'm a fan of urban speed limits and follow them religiously, but when I'm out of town, middle of nowhere, no cars in sight, good conditions, just can't get my head around how people can travel at 100kmh or 110kmh for hours on end without zoning out now and then. Is there anything that can be done at all ?

Last edited by dylancox; 25-09-2010 at 10:23 PM.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #41
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Absolutely fabulous. No airport security (laptop out of bag, in tray, laptop back in bag with scratches ) and time-wasting body searches or explosives testing, no waiting for baggage on the carousel.

But cant we get all these benefits by abolishing open road speed limits (or abolish (or minimize like like in USA) the enforcement thereof ). I'm a fan of urban speed limits and follow them religiously, but when I'm out of town, middle of nowhere, no cars in sight, good conditions, just can't get my head around how people can travel at 100kmh or 110kmh for hours on end without zoning out now and then. Is there anything that can be done at all ?
Do a search for 'keepleft' he is on various committes for road safety etc. And is working on upping the limits. He's a forum member.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-09-2010, 10:27 PM   #42
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
I just want to know where I can get 2 tyres for $100?
Me too especially 'GT Radials'

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #43
dylancox

Quote:
Originally Posted by MO
Do a search for 'keepleft' he is on various committes for road safety etc. And is working on upping the limits. He's a forum member.
Do you know more about which committees and in which state 'keepleft' is involved in? What is he specifically advocating, and in what ways can he be assisted, would be more than happy to donate to such a cause if open road limits could be abolished or if not, raised.
Old 25-09-2010, 10:37 PM   #44
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Do you know more about which committees and in which state 'keepleft' is involved in? What is he specifically advocating, and in what ways can he be assisted, would be more than happy to donate to such a cause if open road limits could be abolished or if not, raised.
Lives NSW,is on state and federal com's as for rest you'd best pm him.

2000 AUII SE ute IL6
Old 25-09-2010, 11:07 PM   #45
JimNiki
71Mach1

No classic musclecars allowed?

zero ancap rating
minimum miles per gallon
40 years old

I'm ready to cancel out all the damage that the priuses have done!
where do I pay?
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2010, 11:18 PM   #46
Fireblade
Wizard Member

I would pay

Can we race?
You could start your own version of the cannonball run, maybe call it the the FlapCo Run.
Old 25-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #47
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
2003 BA GT-P.

110km/h 12-13l/100km or about 5 hrs/550km range
150km/h 15-16l/100km or about 3 hrs/450km range
180km/h 20-22l/100km or about 2 hrs or 360km range
200-220km/h about 30l/100km or 1hr/250km range
254km/h the fuel gauge moves faster than the tacho.....

Figures from various trips on (//) using mostly BP 95ron
these figures are about right you can empty a BA GT fuel tank in around 200kms.... do not overtake trucks doing 240kmh though as they will call up the policemans.......
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 02:12 AM   #48
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

I'd pay it no worries, being 22 a hire car basically costs me another house deposit, plus flights, ect to Bribane.

Makes a good Road trip of it, sit on 150-160km/h until within range of the next Flapco Petrol station then put the hammer down, jump out, fill up, go for a small walk to stretch the legs, jump in, have some fun, settle at 150-160km/h again.

I'd gladly have annual inspections or a pre trip inspection done on the car for a extra cost to approve the car to be eligable to use the Flapco unrestrited highway also.

Vote 1 - For the Flapco Company takeover.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 02:59 AM   #49
AussieAV

I'll have to fly over from Perth, but I'd consider that a worthwhile tourist attraction.

If you could run it up to the Gold Coast, I could drop the wife and kids at the numerous theme parks, and then enjoy my own ride at FlapWorld.

Shipping the car might be a bit expensive though. Do you think FlapCo could set up a subsidiary company that hires out suitably fast cars too?
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #50
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked into buying way outta town a piece of land to go the
"Burn out pad,mini drag strip" ect ect
You would have to buy waaaaayyyyyy outta town
Dont every piece of land come under some council banner
If you are toooo far outta town who would come ???

Flappist,
I do like your way of thinking
IF you cant get the land for the right price,just do what the government does
Pay what ya think its worth
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 12:31 PM   #51
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Apart from the fact that I find it incomprehensible that a member of this site chose the last option, I am all for it. Presumably Flapco would provide service stations with suitably long entrance and exit ramps at regualr intervals (I should think the fuel companies would be keen at 30+l/100km) but I'd suggest that an additional form of revenue could be gained by installing reverse speed and lane discipline cameras for those who ventured onto the Super Highway in the mistaken belief that they could sit on 110 km/h in the fast lane as their god given right. Mind you, I'd personally prefer that those individuals and their Camrys were vapourised but heavy fines seem a decent compromise - and by heavy I mean at the top end of the current speeding fines.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #52
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Apart from the fact that I find it incomprehensible that a member of this site chose the last option, I am all for it. Presumably Flapco would provide service stations with suitably long entrance and exit ramps at regualr intervals (I should think the fuel companies would be keen at 30+l/100km) but I'd suggest that an additional form of revenue could be gained by installing reverse speed and lane discipline cameras for those who ventured onto the Super Highway in the mistaken belief that they could sit on 110 km/h in the fast lane as their god given right. Mind you, I'd personally prefer that those individuals and their Camrys were vapourised but heavy fines seem a decent compromise - and by heavy I mean at the top end of the current speeding fines.

Cheers
Russ
Would expect nothing more from him

Imagine the look on said camry driver face when opening a NSW fine for $1500~ for doing 90 in a 200 zone
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 02:00 PM   #53
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Imagine the look on said camry driver face when opening a NSW fine for $1500~ for doing 90 in a 200 zone
That would be one of the most satisfying and fufilling things to see on this earth. I would hang a picture of it on my wall.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 05:18 PM   #54
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Yes you bet, but my Fairlane is over 10 years & was there even an ANCAP rating for an NCII? If so yes.

Oh & Im in on the FlapCo/Flappin' Ball Run

Quote:
Apart from the fact that I find it incomprehensible that a member of this site chose the last option
Make that two now
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 06:00 PM   #55
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Cheers
Russ
mate don't stop with fines, how about a police visit and car inpoundment for inability to read road signs and car crushing for sitting in the right hand lane at such a dangerously low speed....

Holden special vehicles - for special people
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 07:44 PM   #56
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HMM,
So none of you guys have driven V6 camrys then ???
Without the flame suit,Im a big boy,who needs flame suits anyway
Isnt there a 200Kw camwee
Lets say the V6 camry i had many moons ago,150 Ks down the highway was never an issue,and didnt muck around getting there
Oh its wasnt a granpa spec
Im more worried about grey nomads than camweee drivers
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 07:55 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I'd be happy to have Highway 1 around our country raised up to a level befitting the name.
The day we bypass all the small hick towns and 60 kph running and get a decent divided highway
with minimal on and off ramps and a uninterrupted 110 kph limit is the day I jump for joy.
But I fear it is basically beyond the comprehension of our governments and their interstate buffoonery
to work together and make this one thing happen, I pray it does for all our sakes..
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #58
MexicanBatman
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II

Make that two now
why would i sit in my car for 6hrs driving flatout filling up 3 times + paying the $100 toll to get to sydney from melbourne, only to have to do it again on the way home

when it takes me 18min from my door to the departure gate
Business $90.11 return is what it cost me and my beneficiary to fly each return, and there is a flight every half hour, and Jetstar costs me less, and if the flight is full i can still get on if the jump seat is free..

and i can sit back and do nothing whilst someone brings me drinks, not look out for highspeed kangaroos

that said im happy for all the highways to be resurfaced and reset to 130km/h with exclusions on caravans slow moving trucks and equipment and old european/asian drivers who sit in the right lane at 80km/h
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-09-2010, 09:07 PM   #59
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e
why would i sit in my car for 6hrs driving flatout filling up 3 times + paying the $100 toll to get to sydney from melbourne, only to have to do it again on the way home

when it takes me 18min from my door to the departure gate
Business $90.11 return is what it cost me and my beneficiary to fly each return, and there is a flight every half hour, and Jetstar costs me less, and if the flight is full i can still get on if the jump seat is free..

and i can sit back and do nothing whilst someone brings me drinks, not look out for highspeed kangaroos

that said im happy for all the highways to be resurfaced and reset to 130km/h with exclusions on caravans slow moving trucks and equipment and old european/asian drivers who sit in the right lane at 80km/h
You must be a fast runner and have friends in high places. Most airlines want you there at least 30 mins before departure.

I take it your final destination is also only 18 mins from the arrival gate?
Old 26-09-2010, 09:14 PM   #60
AussieAV

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg6e

Cause that ads up to 12 hours of fun, fun, fun !!!

Plus you can get another pie each time you fill up. A road trip with servo diet - it don't get any better !
Some people drive to go places others go places to drive.......
AussieAV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post