Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-09-2016, 09:26 AM   #31
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 
Default Re: Last V8 & i6 cylinder engines have been built!

What is the final day of operation? I'm thinking 7 or 11?

It's an honour to own both engines pictured in the OP. And it's also very saddening.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 09:43 AM   #32
adz137

As a Geelong resident and Ford Fan, this makes me very sad, end of an era. Will try and enjoy my FGX XR8 as much as i can.
adz137 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 10:14 AM   #33
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

End of an era for sure and not just at Ford AU.
Now begins the new era.
Old 27-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #34
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder when the last 6 cyl engine block and heads crank etc were cast.

The V8 lives on in the USA or Mexico where they are cast I believe.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 10:54 AM   #35
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I grew up in Geelong. Watched my family have Ford after Ford after Ford. Relly's working in the plant. Dad having Ford after Ford. I just don't get it. What can you say really? It was Ford yes but it was an AUSTRALIAN Ford. And that made it real. It's a crap world these days...cycles come and cycles go but are we supposed to become third world so they'll build stuff here again? Sometimes it's best to just say nothing. Ford global are producing some of the best vehicles they have EVER made, but our Falcon was ours. And Terri.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 11:10 AM   #36
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Just shed a tear, such a shame. Australia is now the proud manufacturer of nothing. A reminder of our spineless governments and unpatriotic population. The world would burn to the ground and hell freeze over before a country like USA would let this befall them. A big FU to free trade, exploitation manufacture and Globalization. Falcon has left the building. Long live the Falcon.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #37
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

What's sadder is continuously finding our Aussie fords thrashed till death in the bush and usually burnt! Most aren't even bad to start with, but are used because they die hard and go till the last breath.
What made them legendary made their individual graves. And now we will only have imports that won't stand the test of time. The yanks once swore black and blue to buy local and scoffed at imports and those who bought them weren't patriotic.

Now it's our turn, except very few of us share that ideology because we as a nation are losing our identity. What's even more disappointing is people now aspire to own a new i30 or Focus. Everyone else is labelled a hoon.

Goodbye car culture.

Long live our Aussie Fords, while they still exist..

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 11:34 AM   #38
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad day indeed, but the future beckons.

Though, will still be enjoying the XR8 & the Terri (Aussie fords) for many years to come - plus, lest we not forget the last Ford v Holden Bathurst battle commences October 7 2016.

(suggest not starting on about Ford's timing in regard to Broadmedows closure on the same date)
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 12:43 PM   #39
SpannerXR8
2008 BF XR8

Sad day for this country......now the land of coffee and shopping centres!!!
SpannerXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 02:08 PM   #40
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpannerXR8 View Post
Sad day for this country......now the land of coffee and shopping centres!!!
Sorry? Forgetting all the engineering and design companies? The 1500 staff at Ford still retained? The proving ground and engineering there too?
Old 27-09-2016, 02:53 PM   #41
Strange1

Maybe the Chinese will buy the engine rights, remake them out of melted down horse shoes and sell them back to us in 20 years hidden under the bonnet of some safety featureless ute... just like they do with all the old Mitsubishi stuff!
Strange1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #42
V8 Ghia Mike
Blue blooded Ford guy!

For the first time in my life, I don't know what my next car will be. I just don't want to drive anything other than a Falcon. Probably one second hand Falcon after another for as long as I can keep them running...

Proud to have a mighty Windsor 5.0 and Turbo 6 in my driveway!

94 EF Fairmont Ghia 5.0- XR8 in a tuxedo...
Bordeaux purple, Tickford kit, 2.5+ inch drop, EL Ghia chrome, leather, Pioneer sound, C&C, electric everything, 18" BA XR8's, ABS, LSD, GT40P's, Crane cam, ChipTorque ECU, XR8 snorkel, lots of woodgrain, chrome and interior lights.
V8 Ghia Mike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #43
PridenJoy
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his contributions to the forum, especially showcased with his highly detailed AU build threads. He is a fountain of AU knowledge. 

What a sad turn of events seeing these last aussie built engines and last Falcons and Terris.

Falcon truly was the most aussie car out of all cars built in this country (75%), it leaving will hurt this country the most. It has given me years of memories, performance bragging rights and reliable motoring.

I have accumulated enough Falcons in every iteration to keep me going until the end whenever that is, my kids will do with them what they will, but i have a suspicion they will cherish them just as much as i do.
PridenJoy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 10:09 PM   #44
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Such a shame. Spent 15 years building them. Would have liked to have been there at the end, but at the proving ground now. I would assume ford will hang onto these last 2.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 10:29 PM   #45
cortinagt

Can anyone actually confirm a Territory is the last body shell? If it's true I think it's an insult. 56 years of history of the Falcon nameplate. Sad either way. Been a roller coaster week for Geelong. Out of AFL season. Last engines and body's built and a Brownlow. All in a few days. Thoughts go to the families and workers. A pride we will only be able to tell our children about. The pride of being one of the few countries in the Ford world that can build a car from drawing board to the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 10:57 PM   #46
nstg8a

how long do they keep making spares for?
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 11:15 PM   #47
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
how long do they keep making spares for?

Legally they have to supply spare parts for 10 years. In reality it will be more like 10 minutes. I would expect lots of parts to go NLA very quickly.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 11:20 PM   #48
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
Legally they have to supply spare parts for 10 years. In reality it will be more like 10 minutes. I would expect lots of parts to go NLA very quickly.
Wondering if Falcon components will still be under copyright, as they no longer hold any financial interest to Ford.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-09-2016, 11:24 PM   #49
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

That pic of the last body shells ...It's like a funeral procession....
Having grown up with these cars as work horses and play things it's a dose of double bitters.
Farewell old friend , paradise lost, thanks for the memories. I'll never be taking another drive in the GT for granted again. I'll drive it with even more pride now.

New RIDE
2018 AMG Mercedes A45
Angry AWD assassin
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 11:26 PM   #50
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
10 year parts are only for critical parts that are required to keep the car mechanically/electrically sound. trim items do not fall in this category for instance.Its no difference from the past models, FGX part will be around just as long as AU BA BF parts were after they moved on to the next model, except this time there is no next model.

I was on a plant tour not long ago and there was a section of the plant where parts were being stored. There were Falcon and Terri radiator support panels (argors) as far as the eye could see... and this was just one part.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-09-2016, 11:37 PM   #51
FGX008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Such a shame. Spent 15 years building them. Would have liked to have been there at the end, but at the proving ground now. I would assume ford will hang onto these last 2.
Are you able to share which engine builder had the honour of building the last V8 engine especially since they get to stamp their initials into the engine block? My second question what is the number of the last V8 engine? I do understand if you cannot share this information.

Cheers, Brent
Old 27-09-2016, 11:48 PM   #52
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
10 year parts are only for critical parts that are required to keep the car mechanically/electrically sound. trim items do not fall in this category for instance.Its no difference from the past models, FGX part will be around just as long as AU BA BF parts were after they moved on to the next model, except this time there is no next model.

I was on a plant tour not long ago and there was a section of the plant where parts were being stored. There were Falcon and Terri radiator support panels (argors) as far as the eye could see... and this was just one part.

That makes sense then. It's always all the interior and trim parts that go NLA fist. Particularly on rare models like FPV or Sprints.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 12:29 AM   #53
turbo4
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Last Harrop supercharger build https://youtu.be/-uIkCPOyXOk

DJRTP Gold Team Mate ::: Tickford Racing Gold Member
turbo4 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2016, 09:35 AM   #54
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Since moving to Australia 15 years ago, the ONLY car I've owned is a Falcon. EA, EF, EL, BF, and now FGX.

I have no idea what I'll be buying next
Old 28-09-2016, 01:11 PM   #55
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_scotsman View Post
Since moving to Australia 15 years ago, the ONLY car I've owned is a Falcon. EA, EF, EL, BF, and now FGX.

I have no idea what I'll be buying next
Other than a Nissan pintara and a bmw 325i I'm the same, been here since 08 and have had roughly 10-12 falcons. But I'm going backwards with mine, I get more enjoyment from the older models. So I will have plenty to choose from, just have to avoid the 'they're not making Falcons anymore' tax...
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 04:33 PM   #56
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGX008 View Post
Are you able to share which engine builder had the honour of building the last V8 engine especially since they get to stamp their initials into the engine block? My second question what is the number of the last V8 engine? I do understand if you cannot share this information.

Cheers, Brent
I wasn't there.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 07:13 PM   #57
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Very sad, and it causes a numb feeling to see the actual engines. There they are, just like the black and white pics in my Falcon history books and old auto mags...

My youngest is currently learning to drive in a manual Falcon, and auto Territory at times. He's going to be one of the last to say he learned to drive when they still made Australian cars. And yes, his aim is to put away a nice manual FG XR6 while he can.

I'd suggest if you like a certain model, and have the space, do the same.
Sprintey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 07:27 PM   #58
Shonky.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post

FPV bumpers (for eg)

will they disappear soon, and be an issue for long term owners?

if you were a GT355 owner who wanted to hold forever, what would you get as a priority?
Shonky. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 08:50 PM   #59
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shonky. View Post
FPV bumpers (for eg)

will they disappear soon, and be an issue for long term owners?

if you were a GT355 owner who wanted to hold forever, what would you get as a priority?
Crash panels including bars are part of the 10 year critical parts list. EG you can still buy BF GT Bars still, expensive but still available.

GT335 Owners wanting to keep vehicle for ever, I would suggest getting any GT unique parts such as sill moulds, spoilers, badges, bumpers, decals, and trim items. I would then start getting everything else that you think might wear quicker with use like kick panel, scuff plates, steering wheel, seat belts etc..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-09-2016, 10:26 PM   #60
QIKESP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
What is the final day of operation? I'm thinking 7 or 11?
Remaining production will finish on the 7th, amazing how quiet it is now in the factory apart from the forklifts still buzzing around !
QIKESP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post: