Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-07-2015, 01:27 PM   #31
DrDamage

Default Re: What car would you buy?

Thanks guys, the car doesn't necessarily need to be able to go off road. We do go camping once a year but nothing extreme. The space in the Territory has been great with three kids, however none of them are in prams now so all that space may not be needed as much. I'm really likening the Mondeo wagon. It may be a tight squeeze but that's ok.

Also really like several other options that have been mentioned including the merc. But I don't know what it is with the merc. I just couldn't picture myself driving a Mercedes. Maybe in twenty years time.

The Mondeo wagon seems to tick all the boxes.

Checkout my: Project XD Sundowner.
DrDamage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #32
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

What about that Skoda AWD wagon....its like an Audi All-road for $50k-ish
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 01:36 PM   #33
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Is mondeo rear wheel drive?

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 01:45 PM   #34
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
It's a dilemma - guess that's why I'm still driving my 11yr old original Territory

Rob
I hear you, plus mines on Gas so it doesn't cost me that much to run.
Actually doesn't really cost me much at all period.
and its probably worth $5K as a trade in..
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 01:54 PM   #35
dcstraight
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some great options mentioned...gotta love the whole industry being a buyers market!

G6E ECOLPI ?

Obviously N/A in a wagon...but pretty good spend on the fuel bill and @ ~$35K, you've got change leftover from your $50K budget.

LPG finally seems to be a damn good thing for all intended purposes - I don't know why it's not more popular for our larger displacement Aussie habits.
dcstraight is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 02:00 PM   #36
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Jaguar XJ220

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 02:29 PM   #37
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by arronm View Post
Is mondeo rear wheel drive?
no sir .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 03:17 PM   #38
arronm
BA/F6 BF/F6 SSV/R TTG

Ah AWD

Nizpro equipped and Tuned by the BEST in the west
Xtreme Ford Tuning

479RwKw Fuel limited, more pumps and power too come.

F6#0507 & #0639 Pro racer and Tech expert

NIZPRO modifying falcons like Premcar can only dream of , see VIDEO below.
https://youtu.be/oa4IfguGQ-A
arronm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 03:33 PM   #39
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

subaru outback looks ok too and appears to come in under budget, diesel looks pretty economical .
http://www.carsales.com.au/bnc/detai...-5561033/?Cr=0
Old 10-07-2015, 03:44 PM   #40
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
subaru outback looks ok too and appears to come in under budget, diesel looks pretty economical .
http://www.carsales.com.au/bnc/detai...-5561033/?Cr=0
Comes with a CVT. I wouldn't even consider it.
ute83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 03:58 PM   #41
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ute83 View Post
Comes with a CVT. I wouldn't even consider it.
yeah i also am not a big fan of cvt, but they seem to be more common these days , and reasonably reliable unlike some other types of transmissions,
i just watched a suby road test of a slightly different US petrol model with cvt and it doesnt seem too bad.
see what you think .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_1P6pA7rl8
Old 10-07-2015, 09:17 PM   #42
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The new Outback is a really good package. The Liberty is supposed to now have more internal room than a Falcon. I had a look at the new Outback a few months back, I didnt test drive it as I probably would of bought it on the spot because the room and quality really impressed.

I would at least see if you can live with the CVT, they seem to have leaped a few generations in one go compared to the last CVT Subaru brought out in the Impreza.

The one thing to keep in mind is the 6 monthly service interval that Subarus have. But if you have a independent local mechanic it wouldn't be too expensive.

Again also emphasise the Octavia RS. You could get one with Tech pack, comfort pack and panoramic sunroof under 50k, and that is one impressive driving fully loaded car.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #43
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HULK_I6T View Post

As a family car outlander is just way too small. Even with 2 kids it's just too cramped. I've driven heaps of them.
What rot (why am I not surprised). Outlander is narrower than territory but will easily fit 4 adults and 3 kids in comfort with the 7 seat option.

The middle seat in the 2nd row is a little narrow but if you are only carting kids then it's a non issue.

Adaptive cruise control, collision sensors, climate control, proximity key, electric tailgate, 3 drive options, economy mode to save fuel, camera, heated seats, sunroof, regular 6 special auto and 5 yr warranty.

There are several decent brands available to the op. Should they want a full size vehicle to cart around 5 adults I'll be the first to say the outlander is not the car for them.

Cheers.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 10:28 PM   #44
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Outlander is based on the Lancer platform.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 10:51 PM   #45
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
What about that Skoda AWD wagon....its like an Audi All-road for $50k-ish
I drove one for a fortnight in Austria few months ago.

Very, very capable vehicle, manual AWD was a novelty.

Has start/stop technology in a manual...LOL
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 10:25 AM   #46
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
The new Outback is a really good package. The Liberty is supposed to now have more internal room than a Falcon. I had a look at the new Outback a few months back, I didnt test drive it as I probably would of bought it on the spot because the room and quality really impressed.

I would at least see if you can live with the CVT, they seem to have leaped a few generations in one go compared to the last CVT Subaru brought out in the Impreza.

The one thing to keep in mind is the 6 monthly service interval that Subarus have. But if you have a independent local mechanic it wouldn't be too expensive.

Again also emphasise the Octavia RS. You could get one with Tech pack, comfort pack and panoramic sunroof under 50k, and that is one impressive driving fully loaded car.
I cant comment on the Diesel but I did seriously look at the new Liberty 2.5i Premium when I was shopping around... Test Drove the demo one a few times on differing types of roads (dealer - Bartons Wynumn in Brisbane) where super patient with me as well... In the end, when Ford couldn't come through with the Mondeo it was down to the Liberty and the 6...

These new liberty's are a Bargain.. the 2.5i Premiun with ALL the fruit (they are so bloody well equipped for the price) retail on the road was just over $40k ($41,500 if memory serves) The 3.6i Premium (Similar Spec with the 6 cyl boxer and better stereo) was retail of around $48 I think... It was seriously tempting and they have heaps of room. Biggest let down, and the reason I didn't get one, was the way it drove.. CVT was crap and the engine seemed gutless and you cant get the Diesel in the sedan, you have to go with the Outback...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 12:04 PM   #47
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
What rot (why am I not surprised). Outlander is narrower than territory but will easily fit 4 adults and 3 kids in comfort with the 7 seat option.

The middle seat in the 2nd row is a little narrow but if you are only carting kids then it's a non issue.

Adaptive cruise control, collision sensors, climate control, proximity key, electric tailgate, 3 drive options, economy mode to save fuel, camera, heated seats, sunroof, regular 6 special auto and 5 yr warranty.

Cheers.
I thought the Outlander is equipped with a CVT Auto?
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 08:08 PM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by duaned View Post
I thought the Outlander is equipped with a CVT Auto?
I have the diesel, which has a regular 6sp tranny.

Yes, I believe the petrol models have a CVT.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2015, 10:09 PM   #49
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor View Post
I'm in the same situation.

The Territory has been great but being an '04 with 250+kms on it now I need to move on.
The kids now have their own cars and I don't need something this big but do love the versatility it provides and I still want to be able to seat at least 4 adults comfortably when required

Shopping new I too am looking at Skoda's (my eyes have been opened to VAG products since we picked up a VW EOS for Mrs Raptor)

I was waiting for the Scout (vs the VRS) but now it's here I can't decide and while dithering have also discovered used Merc C class wagons for similar money and only a few yrs old and modest kms. Not quite as off-roady but do I really need it to be ?
I'm nearly in the same boat too Raptor, next couple of years the kids will get their first cars, 224km on 2007 AWD Territory and love all the features, it's still as tight as a drum, but where to go? We just did the 7 seats with them and their mates in the (lack of) snow and really, the back seats are too small now! Still it has served us well, kids from little to grown up.

I hear New2Ford mentioning the X3 and that has the closest handling comparison to the Territory with a small downsize in size - good - for one of the best parts of our Terry ownership is its ability in corners after cruising long distances in comfort. Possibly the X3... I think I'll keep the Terry a bit further and it may be a smaller Suby full time AWD for the kids who are powderhounds, we will have to go up in convoy next time.

Those Skoda AWD wagons are interesting, as is the VW Golf Alltrack on the way, but I'm a stickler for AWD all the time so probably the XV/Forester/Outback path will prevail.
Old 12-07-2015, 09:12 AM   #50
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Those Skoda AWD wagons are interesting, as is the VW Golf Alltrack on the way, but I'm a stickler for AWD all the time so probably the XV/Forester/Outback path will prevail.
The 6 monthly servicing on Subarus seems a bit of an expensive anachronism nowadays. When looking at cars I also steered away from the new transmission types. I was very impressed with the ZF used by Ford and it was a significant factor in choosing a BMW.

We have the DSG in the Skoda of course and, compared to the ZF, it takes a bit of getting used to those heart-stopping moments at roundabouts and traffic merges when you put your foot down and what you need is not there momentarily! It also struggles to work itself out getting out of the drainage ditch in front of our garage! Once you're underway of course it's fine and no doubt contributes to better fuel economy, but I'd rather have a completely predictable slushbox. If Ford have gone back to torque converter on Fiesta and Focus they've made a sensible move.

Long live the ZF!
Old 13-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #51
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the Outlander fits size-wise, the PHEV version is brilliant. PHEV = Plug-in Electric Hybrid Vehicle.

I had a loan of one of these recently for about a week. It is the best all-round hybrid vehicle out there. Very practical, good performance, unbelievable economy.

I wouldn't bother with a Diesel unless you're towing, i think they offer false economy.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #52
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

It depends on your driving. Around the city the TDi is awesome, so consistent where PULP varies greatly.

Once on the open road I agree PULP cars close the gap. Depends on many things, diving style, your routes etc.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #53
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
I wouldn't bother with a Diesel unless you're towing, i think they offer false economy.
I get better economy out of my Focus with the air-con on than I did with my 900cc Honda motorbike and given diesel vs. pulp not much difference in refuelling costs.

Service costs aren't too bad, oil is expensive if you go through a dealer (but it is for everyone) and some of the filters are expensive but once every 15,000km isn't too bad.

So far 34 years of driving (31 in my own car) and it's the cheapest car to run by far.

My missus' TDCi Fiesta gets better economy than a Prius.
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #54
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I meant Diesels return false economy overall, not just fuel mileage.

A Diesel is usually more expensive to purchase, more expensive to service & more expensive to buy parts for. Sure the fuel economy difference is greater in city traffic than on the open road, but even if your fuel saving covers all of these extras, any major repairs are ridiculously expensive.

I base this after owning & managing an automotive workshop for over 40 years. Direct injection type engines are very susceptible to variations in fuel quality & major repairs are commonplace on late model Diesels, even inside the warranty period, where thankfully the manufacturer covers costs. I also supply a lot of parts to the trade & it's not uncommon to spent $3000-$5,000 in parts alone, on things like injectors & pumps etc. on relatively low mileage Diesel vehicles.

It cost me nothing in labour to service my own cars, but I wouldn't have a Diesel as a gift.

My daily drive is a V8 Adventra, probably the thirstiest non-high performance car that GM-H has ever built & to my mind, petrol is the cheapest part of owning the car. If you purchase a car new, by the time you've taken into account, monthly payments, rego, insurance, scheduled services & then factor in depreciation, fuel is not the major cost.

In the long run electric cars, either hybrid, plug-in or a combination of both will take over, but in the meantime I believe that Diesel cars are NOT the answer.

Dr Terry

BTW, I think that any Prius that cannot better the overall running cost of a Fiesta Diesel needs serious attention. Also we weren't discussing small economy cars here, I thought the OP was asking about medium-sized SUVs.
Dr Terry is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 08:49 PM   #55
bernbo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smithy from carsguide calculated for diesel to break even you need to be doing about 30,000kms per year. If you're not doing that petrol is cheaper event if you are using more of it. Andy with that said if there is a break down it is hugely more expensive to fix. Google diesel landcruisers that have had the wrong petrol put in. If it's just to save money then keeping your current car is the way to go. You have already paid all the depreciation. Just driving the car off the lot as a new car can pay for a lot of fuel.
bernbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-07-2015, 09:46 PM   #56
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not trying to be rude, nor start an argument, but IMHO spending $50k on car, but looking for economy is a non sequitur.

For $50k, forget economy, and find a car you love. Besides unless you buy something like a V8 Jeep, economy will likely be "ok."

How many kids do you have, and how old are they? What else do you use the family car for? Towing?
Do you want/need AWD?
For $50k, do you want brand new, or are you looking at late model?

If you're looking for a new AWD SUV, and stuck on economy, then I'd be looking at the New Nissan Pathfinder Hybrid. 2WD models can be had for $40k, $50k will get you a demo 4WD.

If you're a little more relaxed on economy, then consider a Klugger. It's a Toyota, so will be reliable as heck, and have good resale.

If you want a van, stick with a Tarrago. The current models have a decent V6, and again its a Toyota. For a more car-like people mover, I can thoroughly recommend the Honda Odyssey. Unfortunately it is a little underpowered when fully loaded.

If you want a more capable 4x4, then the Prado TD offers decent full economy.

Or if you can forgo the AWD, an I6 Terri and fit LPI.

My "left-field" pick would be a late-model AWD Volvo XC90. Nice car, with European quality and performance.

You'll note that I have omitted the most obvious candidate, a new TD AWD Territory.
We bought a Terri last year, and after a lot of research and test drives, opted to go for an SYII AWD with the I6 (turbo).
I'm not gong to start another argument on the source of the Terri's TD, suffice to say that I did my research and I wouldn't touch one. (PM me if want details.)
Old 13-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #57
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bernbo View Post
Smithy from carsguide calculated for diesel to break even you need to be doing about 30,000kms per year.
I live in the sticks, I do 30,000km a year.

I bought my car second-hand, it had already depreciated by the time I bought it, even more so as the LW had just been released.

I wouldn't buy a brand new TDCi Focus for the reasons you and other have given though...although mine back in 2012 at 18 months old with 20,000km on the clock was around $20k so not too bad compared to a new one.

It's not a family car though, but as there's only two of us 90% of the time it doesn't need to be (and I have a BA MKII Fairmont).
Ratmick is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2015, 11:58 PM   #58
superfly
Go the Hogster!

I personally wouldn't buy a diesel. Subaru's whilst I really like them (mrs still has a WRX) are out for me due to the expensive servicing costs and they are not really that roomy inside. Outlander is out too, it's pretty small inside as well. I do like the Mazda 6 and the new Mondeo. Camry's are good too but really bland and boring. I would test drive a new Sonata and the Octavia RS and check them for size.

I was in your situation 3 years ago when I bought my Falcon. Sure the economy is not that fantastic (it's the same as what my old WRX was around town but on the highway, the Falcon is way more economical) but it has heaps of space and goes good to. I would've preferred the Ecoboost only due to the lower cost rego. At the time I also test drove a Aurion, CX7 & Territory. The CX7 failed due to high fuel consumption and mega small inside. I liked the Aurion SX6 and would've bought one but mrs didn't like it. Territory was real good to but I didn't want a big SUV so the Falcon got the nod.
Old 14-07-2015, 12:18 AM   #59
duaned
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If no concern for fuel economy and a smile is required go with a SS Sportswagon. The Mazda 6 is a nice ride as well, great diesel in it.
duaned is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2015, 12:39 AM   #60
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All those Beemers and Mercs and Audis are all great cars but can u afford the servicing. If u think Ford charge wait till u get in a Beemer or such.