Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #31
Tom Tucker

Default Re: Road expert says why we need faster speed limits

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Can you tell us how we identify this weak, disadvantaged, minority.
They're the ones in the left lane.

I'm sure you appreciate the wider philosophical argument here.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:10 PM   #32
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Tucker View Post
They're the ones in the left lane.

I'm sure you appreciate the wider philosophical argument here.
ha ha I'm always in the left lane, because it's the fastest lane.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2015, 07:32 PM   #33
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As Burnz says
The left lane is often less congested, particularly on 3 lane roads

Too often you see people who not only can't merge, but who seem to think the left lane is a transit lane or something and insist on jumping straight into the right lane

WTF, all they do is cut off some poor bugger, who then brakes (causing the domino effect) and makes the fast lane SLOW

Using calculator that the RTA/RMS use they will never raise the limit, its possible to drive at 150 in places, but would you do it knowing Mr Magoo is coming the other way

I will continue to drive like Mark Webber

In the left lane
Old 08-07-2015, 09:29 PM   #34
Ross 1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It's the love of the fast lane by people doing below the speed limit that will doom this to failure. Have driven in Germany and been a passenger in the UAE, if you aren't going fast enough the car behind simply flashes its lights and everyone politely moves over, sometimes even with a wave of acknowledgement. I just cannot imagine the average Sydney driving being able to take the blow to his or her ego and move over, they will hog the lane and abuse you.
Ross 1 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2015, 10:02 PM   #35
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
It's the love of the fast lane by people doing below the speed limit that will doom this to failure. Have driven in Germany and been a passenger in the UAE, if you aren't going fast enough the car behind simply flashes its lights and everyone politely moves over, sometimes even with a wave of acknowledgement. I just cannot imagine the average Sydney driving being able to take the blow to his or her ego and move over, they will hog the lane and abuse you.
This isn't restricted in Sydney. In SA we have the ego driven and territorial drivers here than have the entitlement factor etched into their crows feet riddled fore heads as they give you the finger while you try and calmly merge into the next lane. I mean, how dare anybody pull in front you them with their indicators on.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM   #36
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Some countries in Europe have a 130kmh freeway limit reducing to 110kmh in poor conditions. Works a treat as the drivers are generally courteous and seem to know they have to move back into the outer lane after overtaking.
Won't work here as drivers aren't courteous and have no idea which lane they should be in.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:49 PM   #37
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
Won't work here as drivers aren't courteous and have no idea which lane they should be in.
Some of the least courteous drivers on the planet are European, some use their horns more than their brakes. Its the high speeds that force courtesy. You increase speeds here the same thing will happen, look at the NT for proof.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 11:40 AM   #38
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

No. Just means there will be bigger accidents
Because of the higher closing speeds. They will still
sit in the fast lane of the Hume doing 95 in a 110 or 130 zone.
Only proper driver training and enforcement will change the driving culture.
Old 09-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #39
Sabantien
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
Currently in Canada driving a Mustang around and what has blown me away is the "apparent disregard" to posted speed limits. I was doing 11kmh (101 in a 90) above the posted limit and a tour bus overtook me!!

On the dual lane Trans-Canada Hwy I've seen cars doing up to 130kmh (estimated) when the posted limit is 90. And it's very common too, not just a rogue one off driver either, it's lots of vehicles. Have seen a patrol car with a driver pulled over, he must've been doing an even greater speed.

It's seems to me that they consider the driving manner as much as just the speed
Found the same thing in the US. I drove from NY to DC, did the speed limit the whole way, sitting in the right lane (felt weird!), and cars were flying by. Even others using the slow lane were coming up behind me and zooming by.
Spoke to an american mate, he said speed limits were more suggestions, and so long as you keep up with the flow of traffic, you won't get done.

I spent the trip back in the fast lane. I think I was doing 150+ the whole way, and that was just keeping up with people, still had the odd person pass me.
Sabantien is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 01:42 PM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Can you tell us how we identify this weak, disadvantaged, minority.
They're like vegans and crossfitters... they'll tell you
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 06:11 PM   #41
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems to be a common theme here that many drivers don't know what they are doing so raising the speed limits is unfeasible.

The answer is right there in front of us! Its so simple!

Make licencing a lot harder and teach the skills needed. The weak disadvantaged minority will be the ones who don't pass and they will be on public transport thus increasing the use of public transport to a level where it can be expanded greatly because there will always be a relatively stable percentage of the public who will be required to use it. The demand will always be there.

Those who pass the more difficult testing regime will be able to travel at realistic (increased) speeds to move efficiently from place to place in a safe manner, rather than the dogs breakfast that we have at the moment.

The benefits to the economy will be untold not to mention the improvement in air pollution in big cities.

The number of cars sold will decrease but we no longer have a vehicle manufacturing industry to support so that isn't a problem either and the manufacturing of public transport vehicles, railways etc will compensate for this anyway.
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 06:57 PM   #42
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noflac52 View Post
It seems to be a common theme here that many drivers don't know what they are doing so raising the speed limits is unfeasible.

Make licencing a lot harder and teach the skills needed. The weak disadvantaged minority will be the ones who don't pass and they will be on public transport thus increasing the use of public transport to a level where it can be expanded greatly because there will always be a relatively stable percentage of the public who will be required to use it. The demand will always be there.

Those who pass the more difficult testing regime will be able to travel at realistic (increased) speeds to move efficiently from place to place in a safe manner, rather than the dogs breakfast that we have at the moment.

The benefits to the economy will be untold not to mention the improvement in air pollution in big cities.

The number of cars sold will decrease but we no longer have a vehicle manufacturing industry to support so that isn't a problem either and the manufacturing of public transport vehicles, railways etc will compensate for this anyway.
Totally agreed, im all for more stringent testing and a greater focus on driver education beginning at School level.

This would be the first step before any consideration could be given to lifting speed limits.

Dont get me wrong, i'd love to see limits on good roads lifted, having driven Adelaide-melbourne-Adelaide in the last few weeks i found the 100k/hr stretch monotonous to say the least, it could easily have been 110 or more all the way.
Having said that, its only an 9 hr drive so your only really saving 35mins at best and the fuel consumption was greater at 110.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 07:18 PM   #43
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Er, the public transport manufacturing sector is also heading overseas at a rate of knots.

All we'll be producing here eventually will be cappuccinos.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:23 PM   #44
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRtowcar View Post
No. Just means there will be bigger accidents
Because of the higher closing speeds. They will still
sit in the fast lane of the Hume doing 95 in a 110 or 130 zone.
Only proper driver training and enforcement will change the driving culture.
such a pessimist, wont someone think of the children !
Old 09-07-2015, 07:34 PM   #45
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Bloody hell, more strict and harder? We already have the strictest licensing in the world.

In Germany you need between 10-20 hours of driving to get your license. In NSW its 120 hours before you can even start taking tests.
Old 09-07-2015, 07:35 PM   #46
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one has mentioned opportunity cost. for every minute you save on the road, is a minute you can spend at home (or work or at the game or the holiday). the lower speed limit looses you how much time over your life?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:43 PM   #47
noflac52
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brazen View Post
Bloody hell, more strict and harder? We already have the strictest licensing in the world.

In Germany you need between 10-20 hours of driving to get your license. In NSW its 120 hours before you can even start taking tests.
In NSW its 120 hrs of basic driving only. To get a licence only! Its not a comprehensive skills test by any means. Or attitude assessment or intelligence assessment or aptitude test to see if you can actually handle a car at speed and make the necessary decisions required.

Don't tell me it worries you because you won't come up to the standard required?
noflac52 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2015, 08:15 PM   #48
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
No one has mentioned opportunity cost. for every minute you save on the road, is a minute you can spend at home (or work or at the game or the holiday). the lower speed limit looses you how much time over your life?
I dont know about you or anyone else, but most long distance trips where an extra 10-20k/hr would make a significant difference, i prefer the journey over the destination to the point where i get there and cant wait to get back in the car and driving.

Im doing Adelaide-Canberra in late August when my Daughter will represent SA in the U18 National Bowls, if im honest, im more excited about the drive than the 4 days in the Nations capital. From there we head to the Gold Coast to spend 2 weeks with my Brother and family, again, its more about the drive, im in no hurry. The trip back to Adelaide, some 2200k's will see me in my element, why rush.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 PM   #49
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
I dont know about you or anyone else, but most long distance trips where an extra 10-20k/hr would make a significant difference, i prefer the journey over the destination to the point where i get there and cant wait to get back in the car and driving.

Im doing Adelaide-Canberra in late August when my Daughter will represent SA in the U18 National Bowls, if im honest, im more excited about the drive than the 4 days in the Nations capital. From there we head to the Gold Coast to spend 2 weeks with my Brother and family, again, its more about the drive, im in no hurry. The trip back to Adelaide, some 2200k's will see me in my element, why rush.
I understand, but you will get into a groove, and come across someone who is slower than you.
then annoy you, you will quickly overtake so you can get back to "your" groove.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:32 PM   #50
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
I understand, but you will get into a groove, and come across someone who is slower than you.
Wouldnt that happen regardless of the posted limit, infact, if the posted limit was 130k/hr and i came up on someone who's happy to do the current 100/110k/hr, wouldnt i be even further infuriated by their lack of pace.

I would hazard a guess and say that outside the confines of a few automotive forums, most people are happy with the maximum speed limits, cant say i've ever heard it discussed outside of one.
With that in mind, slow objects in 130 zones would be continuous.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:35 PM   #51
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

This is where I think policing the 'keep left unless over taking' rule should be heavily looked at and fined for those impeding other road users. i think that is where most of the frustration lies.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2015, 08:43 PM   #52
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Wouldnt that happen regardless of the posted limit, infact, if the posted limit was 130k/hr and i came up on someone who's happy to do the current 100/110k/hr, wouldnt i be even further infuriated by their lack of pace.

I would hazard a guess and say that outside the confines of a few automotive forums, most people are happy with the maximum speed limits, cant say i've ever heard it discussed outside of one.
With that in mind, slow objects in 130 zones would be continuous.
not much in away of duel lane roads to overtake coming from SA..

if you run into someone without cruise control, it can be annoying.
Old 09-07-2015, 08:46 PM   #53
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
This is where I think policing the 'keep left unless over taking' rule should be heavily looked at and fined for those impeding other road users. i think that is where most of the frustration lies.
Along with mobile phone usage and tailgating...

But fear not, my missus got a $340 fine yesterday when she pulled up behind a row of traffic at a rail crossing and as my daughter needed to get on the train to get to work to earn her $30, she moved to the other side of the road to pass 1 car and turn in to the carpark, a distance of no more than 15 mtrs.

There was no danger as the oncoming traffic was stopped, but he wasnt interested, just wrote the ticket and wished her a nice day.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:49 PM   #54
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I would hazard a guess and say that outside the confines of a few automotive forums, most people are happy with the maximum speed limits
When I do interstate drives, I see an awful lot of drivers doing >110

I also see the police enforcing limits on freeways more than anywhere else, suggesting a lot of drivers want to, and do go faster
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 08:53 AM   #55
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
If people are concerned on here (and are projecting a little) with their lack of driving skill and are worried, they can always keep left but I suspect they have no problems at all especially if they have been driving for more than a year.

It is much more cognitively difficult to drive in traffic and city streets anyway.

We do have one advantage here with slow moving objects, most of the world's trucks are limited to 80 or 90 whereas our are 100

Last edited by Brazen; 10-07-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:15 AM   #56
cram_it_frog
wombat

there are some sections of the Hwy between Broken Hill and Adelaide which are unsafe at the 110

it is fine to up the speed limit but the road need fixing especially in more remote area s

Life is full of experiences some good some bad and with luck they all balance out in the end

What Ford s have I owned
1969 Blue wagon 1974 XB owned 3 of them
Numerious others but I always went back to ford

My first car was a 6 volt VW sedan
cram_it_frog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 09:20 AM   #57
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We do have one advantage here with slow moving objects, most of the world's trucks are limited to 80 or 90 whereas our are 100

That's a disadvantage here, not an advantage. When you have the same speed limit you can't overtake heavy vehicles quickly and safely and get out of their way.

In Australia we have the dangerous situation of the "slow creep" overtake where the vehicles are in close proximity at high speed for far to long. Frustrating for heavy vehicle drivers too as they are probably driving in reality to the speed limit via GPS whereas the overtaking car is going by an over-reading speedo and afraid of being pinged by the paramilitary, er highway patrol, for being 1 km/h over when they are actually 5 km/h under. Perfect officially-sanctioned accident scenario.

Last edited by new2ford; 10-07-2015 at 09:26 AM.
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2015, 10:49 AM   #58
mechanic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Along with mobile phone usage and tailgating...

But fear not, my missus got a $340 fine yesterday when she pulled up behind a row of traffic at a rail crossing and as my daughter needed to get on the train to get to work to earn her $30, she moved to the other side of the road to pass 1 car and turn in to the carpark, a distance of no more than 15 mtrs.

There was no danger as the oncoming traffic was stopped, but he wasnt interested, just wrote the ticket and wished her a nice day.
I'm about to go to Cairns in a moment from my home here at Edmonton, a distance of about 14 klms.
I'd be very surprised if I didn't see at least 6 or 8 people on their mobiles while driving between here and there.
Normally see the Captain Kodak van getting all those 1 klm over as well.

Politicians never take notice of those who do research, they listen to statisticians who can give them figures to add to next years budget.
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2015, 08:00 PM   #59
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
If people are concerned on here (and are projecting a little) with their lack of driving skill and are worried, they can always keep left but I suspect they have no problems at all especially if they have been driving for more than a year.
I think you've missed the point.
Im certainly not concerned with my own ability to travel above 110k/hr, im more concerned about the numpty who THINKS HE CAN drive above 110k/hr, BUT CAN'T, and will end up killing someone to prove it.

In an ideal world those who can, should, and those who cant, wont, but that is wishful thinking. If just one of those who shouldnt, does, they may just wipe your family out.
Would you still be an advocate.

Having said that, what makes me think i can, well me, and im perfect, which underlines my point.
Just because i think i can doesnt mean i actually can, it just means i may risk mine and your families lives to find out.
But hey, if the sign says 130, im up for it.
Old 10-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #60
Mowdit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

case in point to the last few posts.

My 23yo girlfriend (back in the day, OK, 20 years ago)

from regional vic, she would quite happily belt along at 100kph any day, BUT, come across a tractor traveling on the verge on a two way road and she wouldn't pass, she would sit there traveling at 16kph because she was too scared to overtake !!!!

WTF....................

Taught to pass the test

NOT taught to drive !!!!!!

Other side of the coin................
Got my motor cycle licence, in Tassie around 1994,
local copper "how did you get here"?
Me "rode here"...
Copper, "do a figure 8" (in a gravel car park)
Me, "fine"
IT STARTED RAINING, so back inside with a PASS
GOLD
3 users like this post: