Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-04-2010, 10:12 PM   #31
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
Sam it really is, they say its more addictive than herroine and drugs like that, patches on tomorrow mourning, try again
I with you there bought some patches today hopfully my hate for kevin rudd will help me to quit . Because i dont want to help that little knob jockey one bit buy handing him some more of my hard earned dollars . So he can flush it down the toilet that is if the pipes not block by the billions he put down there allready .
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:23 PM   #32
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good luck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
Rejoice! I'm kicking the fags next week, may 8th, my 21st. Don't want to smoke any more, and can't afford it anyway. And health problems. At least this tax is one I have a choice to pay or not.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:34 PM   #33
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Does anyone know how much the typical 35 pack is going up to?
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:35 PM   #34
burnz
VFII SS UTE

i'll give it a week before the black market takes up the challenge
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #35
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Does anyone know how much the typical 35 pack is going up to?

pack of 30's is going up an average of $2.15 it various from brand to brand
Old 29-04-2010, 10:36 PM   #36
alscall
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Instead of taxing tobacco to fund stuff, cut the pollies wages and rorts they've got.

Chances of that happening. Nun and bucklies

As for smokers being a burdon on the health system. Doubt it. We pay enough in tobacco taxes ovwer the years to cover out medical expenses in our later lives. So what's the problem there? People don't smoke, or give it up, where's the gov't going to get the money from for the health system? Introduce a healthy diet tax?

How true...

The average smoker on a pack of day already pays about $6 per pack in tax. Now it'll be $8. That's $8 x 7 x 52 = $2912 a YEAR!! That's some health insurance policy!

What about people like me, who already pay private health insurance? Shouldn't I be exempt becaus I'm already paying?
alscall is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:42 PM   #37
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

I will offer my blunt, insensitsitve opinion,

Though I have to say I only heard about this today (& implemented at 0.00), I cant understand why it was so short in its announcement. As a pure conspiracy, so that no one had time to say, "gotta give this up in 3 months before thie increase", so they could milk the cow with both hands, plus a partners hands.

Working in a servo, I always hear about the price of them, even comparing against woolies/safeway & coles, etc. I have always wondered why are you complaining? "Your just pulling out a $20 note & burning it" literally. But you wont physically pull one out of your pocket & light it would you? My dads a smoker, & has tried to 'give up' countless times. Everytime he tries, he lasts about 24hrs, & when he restarts, he says he has too much stress in his life (I have noticed this as a common excuse, not a reason among smokers that I have asked why they do).

Now without getting into a sympathetic sob story, I have just as much stress if not alot more than most people (especially dad). As a start, financially I barely get by working 7 days a week (but im working on that problem in the spare time I get). I dont smoke, how have I coped with my stress? or any other non-smoker for that matter? I just dont get it. I used to shoot competitively & that helped the stress I can tell you! However time & money wise, I just cant at the moment & haven in quite some time. So I just handle my stress. Some cant. Everyones different & I suppose thats the bit I cant get in my head.

To me If you dont like the hike, get something else to relieve the stress & save money, or have something to show for it!But I suppose once your hooked....... Thats what as a non-smoker I just cant understand, I havent been there so I can't know.

However after all that, I still cant logically comprehend a 25% hike in such a very short time. But its a government decision.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.

Last edited by Revolver; 29-04-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #38
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am not massively against a tax on cigarettes, but damn, RTDs (which I do not buy anyway) have not gone down at all.
Even beer in the past 12-18 months has increased by 20%. It's ratshit.

Quote:
Rejoice! I'm kicking the fags next week, may 8th, my 21st. Don't want to smoke any more, and can't afford it anyway. And health problems. At least this tax is one I have a choice to pay or not.
Best wishes in quitting. If you are irritable and need to blast somebody, just send me abusive PMs.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 10:53 PM   #39
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Okay...

On Star Control II (greatest PC game ever) there is a race called the Druuge. They are piggish humanoid creatures who are greedy. The planet is owned by the 'Crimson Corporation'. Every single Druuge from birth is employed by the corporation and in effect, owned by it too.
The corporation owns all commodities on the planet and frowns upon debt. To avoid debt, one must work for the corporation. In effect, working for the corporation gives the individual the right to drink water and even breathe air.

Once they stop working, they are in effect stealing air. As a result, they are thrown in the furnaces, which provides power to the massive industries in action on the planet.

I simply wonder how long until we live under this regime...

Don't snap my undies.
Old 29-04-2010, 11:04 PM   #40
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Another tax to save smokers from them self, I think they used the same line for last five or so hikes. They rely on the tax revenue from smokers, I'd hazard a guess they make a bunch more then it cost's in hospitals.

But most people know it's been pushed through quick to take attention away from the ETS back flip, any more and we'd have circus Oz running the show...oh hang on.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:06 PM   #41
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
I am not massively against a tax on cigarettes, but damn, RTDs (which I do not buy anyway) have not gone down at all.
Even beer in the past 12-18 months has increased by 20%. It's ratshit.

Best wishes in quitting. If you are irritable and need to blast somebody, just send me abusive PMs.
Consider it done!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #42
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbyg
Sam it really is, they say its more addictive than herroine and drugs like that, patches on tomorrow mourning, try again
they said 1/3 would quit ?, that will not happen as they know only a small number can quit if at all, money grab.

As for quitting, it is very easy and it is all just a mind game. Those ads on TV saying you need quit a bait are not designed to tell you the truth, they are pumped out to alter your thinking the nasty Nico bugs will bite, all mind conditioning and cods wallop as you do not need any of it.

They would like you to think you do and believe this you now even have a path selection it's that important. If you believe that crap that is.

All you need is some chew-able vitamin c to help with the withdrawal and lots of clean filtered water, nothing more , well maybe a bag of lolly snakes in the first week for busy fingers and you good to go.

The biggest thing is not the craving but the habits formed, you will find you will without thinking shift the ashtray, pick up the empty smoke packet, walk to where you used to smoke.
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:21 PM   #43
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Beast II
I will offer my blunt, insensitsitve opinion,

Though I have to say I only heard about this today (& implemented at 0.00), I cant understand why it was so short in its announcement. As a pure conspiracy, so that no one had time to say, "gotta give this up in 3 months before thie increase", so they could milk the cow with both hands, plus a partners hands.

Working in a servo, I always hear about the price of them, even comparing against woolies/safeway & coles, etc. I have always wondered why are you complaining? "Your just pulling out a $20 note & burning it" literally. But you wont physically pull one out of your pocket & light it would you? My dads a smoker, & has tried to 'give up' countless times. Everytime he tries, he lasts about 24hrs, & when he restarts, he says he has too much stress in his life (I have noticed this as a common excuse, not a reason among smokers that I have asked why they do).

Now without getting into a sympathetic sob story, I have just as much stress if not alot more than most people (especially dad). As a start, financially I barely get by working 7 days a week (but im working on that problem in the spare time I get). I dont smoke, how have I coped with my stress? or any other non-smoker for that matter? I just dont get it. I used to shoot competitively & that helped the stress I can tell you! However time & money wise, I just cant at the moment & haven in quite some time. So I just handle my stress. Some cant. Everyones different & I suppose thats the bit I cant get in my head.

To me If you dont like the hike, get something else to relieve the stress & save money, or have something to show for it!But I suppose once your hooked....... Thats what as a non-smoker I just cant understand, I havent been there so I can't know.

However after all that, I still cant logically comprehend a 25% hike in such a very short time. But its a government decision.

How about i put this i a perspective you may understand because the thing you wrote was dribble stress is the excuse for dad to keep his pride.

If i went with out food,water,smokes for a day or 2 and you put

water some food and a cigerette in front of me i would choose the smoke everytime .
Its a addiction with out a cigerette life is hell . This is the reality about ten years ago i made a choice to have a smoke or 2 or ten whatever to me every other day there has been no choice i continued smoking so i would feel normal as in like you normally would . To quit a desicion has to be made to fight the addiction to put up with withdrawl symptoms for a month or 2 by the way last time i attempted to quit i lost my cool told my boss to go ******** himself and lost my job as a result.
And the addiction makes you think you dont want to quit . It makes you think you enjoy smoking .
Old 29-04-2010, 11:22 PM   #44
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy
They question is why is he doing this .
I wonder if it got anything to do with the henry review all what ever its called sitting on his desk since december. I will bet money there will be a backflip on the plain packaging because the smoke squad have called there lawyers and if we lose we will have to compensate the cigerette companys million or billion dollars cant remember exactly.

Thing is smokers are a easy target and the goverment dont mind milking us at all.
Cigarettes, by my calculation, are now going to be about $10 in just excise, the other $5 is for the manufacturers. How did I figure this? Well a pack of 30 is going up about $2.15 - a tax increase of 25%. 25% of $8 is $2. The overall sell price will be about $15 for a pack of 30.
I think with a tax take of about 65% of the price that it is obvious the government is using smokers as a cash cow. The extra money will be dumped into general revenue and likely not spent on specific things like healthcare. Rudd and co don't give an aeronautical act of intercourse about it - despite their public justifications for jacking up taxes - they just want to spew out an excuse to keep the masses happy. If they want people to stop smoking - ban them. The extra tax to "discourage" smokers is rubbish - they just know people will keep paying for them because they are hooked. Same with booze and petrol - price goes up, demand drops only slightly and the coffers are filled.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2010, 11:28 PM   #45
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

pauljh74 last i heard the tax on smokes is over 300%
Old 29-04-2010, 11:33 PM   #46
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They've got to repay the so called "stimulus package" handout somehow.....

Old 29-04-2010, 11:35 PM   #47
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zdcol71
My response has nothing to do with the hipocrisy of selling a legal addictive drug and raking in billions in taxes on it, rather,lessening the burden on an underfunded and inadequate health system that is bogged down treating and caring for cigarette smokers.
Firstly I smoke but rarely drink.... But I don't go around shouting about the cost to society (and health system) of alcohol related incidents.

Smokers are the current pariahs. However when the social do-gooders have finished with them, drinkers will be next.
Old 30-04-2010, 12:08 AM   #48
f1tzy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While i think that it will eventually help people quit, it will only be the heavy smokers as the 1 or 2 pack a week smokers arent going to notice $4 extra a week. The problem i have is how they did it. I'd heard about it a few days ago and thought alright then when they announce the date that will be my goal to quit, but they all of a sudden set it for midnight tonight just to make that extra money out of everyone. Bastards
f1tzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:17 AM   #49
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I'm glad I just bought a fresh deck!

What I would really love to see is a week or month every year where we REALLY stick it to the government, not smoking, not drinking, and not getting any traffic infringements. Be super super vigilant. This would go for the entire population, and just see how they start reacting when people aren't giving them their revenue through these common means anymore.

That being said, it is so much easier in theory than in real life. Plus, I think Alcohol/Ciggies are a fed tax whereas fine revenue from cameras etc would be state.

I do want to quit smoking at some stage before I'm 30 (July) so maybe this will just be an accelerant towards that.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:31 AM   #50
Barry_v
rocknrolla

The reason they introduce these things so quickly is to avoid people stockpiling. Personally I love it, its an optional tax that I don't choose to pay.

I've just got home from visiting my partner in hospital. There is a middle aged woman in the same ward with cancer. They've found secondary cancer but havn't yet located the source. In between tests her and her daughter (in her early 20s) slip out the front for a smoke. Another extremely fragile looking old (but not THAT old) lady in a mobility scooter also sits with a cigarette hanging limp out of her lips, occasionally letting out a weak cough and ashing on her hospital gown. It appears her arms are too weak or tired to even perform this simple action with dignity.

do I feel sorry for smokers? Yes! But it sure isn't because they have to pay a few dollars more for cigarettes every budget.
Barry_v is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #51
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Agreed.

As the ETS/CPRS scheme is dead the government needs to recoup it's handouts somehow. Taxing cigarette's is easy as it's done under the guise of getting people to quit. Strange though the government says it will add $5b in revenue. That to me is not a zero sum game if it's relying on people to quit.

Obesity has overtake smoking as the #1 cause of preventable death. That being the case we would surely see a tax/levy/excise imposed on junk food based on Rudd's flawed logic.

Time to take a yearly trip to Dubai and buy duty free cigarettes there.
Old 30-04-2010, 12:35 AM   #52
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
climate change
rego costs
what pollies doctors and nurses get paid
even the GST
talk about off topic if you don't stay on topic this thread will be closed do you want to discuss this inteligently or what???

Thread title says "what next?". That covers rego costs, and GST. And qld health has nothing to do with federal govt, so not sure how that links in, except to illustrate the waste of some government departments (this would also cover the climate change mob, and wages for pollies etc). Spending our money is directly related to tax increases, so I don't see how anything the government spends on is not fair game; the more they spend, the more they'll tax.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:17 AM   #53
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Aww, and here I thought the government was giving me money for being a good boy.

Don't snap my undies.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:36 AM   #54
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

The pollies are just using smokers as an excuse to add in another tax. Pure and simple. All the rest of it is just dribble from their mouths, which they are good at.

I could give plenty of examples where non-smokers are more burdon on the health system than a smoker. But that's moving well off topic.

At the end of the day, it's just typical pollies trying to justify a way to rip people blind and use the "flavour" of the month to do it.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 01:43 AM   #55
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
At the end of the day, it's just typical pollies trying to justify a way to rip people blind and use the "flavour" of the month to do it.
Then we need a Justin Bieber tax, stat!

Don't snap my undies.
Old 30-04-2010, 01:56 AM   #56
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Ahh well, one less macca's meal a week to cover the ciggi's hike *shrugs* I did quit after my pneumonia scare, but having Mark walk around me smelling of smoke, lighting ciggi's up etc, made it hard & I quit on quitting. But I still have patches so I'll use them to cut down I guess. I guess Rudd wins both ways with me. I'll still buy some smokes and that $2 extra per pack that I would have bought on the extra ciggi's, well that'll goes towards patches.

It's funny. They say the hike is to help people quit but they know for a fact that every day people take up smoking so really, it's a front. Yeah, people will probably stop because of the costs but others will start and the government still win. 10 stop, 10 start. They get their extra tax and the same amount of people will still be smoking. Make sense?
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #57
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

My wife smokes either she excepts the extra cost or gives up, I would rather see taxes going on these luxury items instead of the things we all really need to live like milk, bread etc.
Unlike our wages this tax is totally voluntary.

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW

Last edited by SpoolMan; 30-04-2010 at 02:22 AM.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 09:01 AM   #58
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well for me as a smoker it is now time to quit

I was only just justifying the cost to the wife but this has made it impossable on part income that i have atm

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2010, 09:32 AM   #59
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Another tax to save smokers from them self, I think they used the same line for last five or so hikes. They rely on the tax revenue from smokers, I'd hazard a guess they make a bunch more then it cost's in hospitals.

But most people know it's been pushed through quick to take attention away from the ETS back flip, any more and we'd have circus Oz running the show...oh hang on.
Ding ding ding ding we have a winner

Simple really, backflip on your biggest policy; divert the idiotic masses' attention by announcing the very next day a policy that will upset these same idiotic masses more, thinly disguised as a health policy.

Australia the clever country?
More like "Australia, a country so dumb its ancestors are famed for the remark; what a lovely wooden horse, of course we'll sign for it".

Quote: