Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-10-2016, 05:45 PM   #31
CJR09
RPO 77

Default Re: Bathurst boring.

Just a sign of the times - happened through the early eighties as well - personally I think the last 4-5yrs of Bathurst have been among the best - certainly the last 4 yrs I do not understand how anyone could complain - wins from last, nail biting finishes, controversy in the dying moments - seriously what more do people expect?!? We do not live in the seventies anymore - although watching the 77 vid still brought a tear to the eye....

its a modern world with modern equipment and reliability to match - god knows how many times i had to push my mkIII gt cortina or xa's-xc's - it soon wears thin....

Q: If you have tried to sell it three times now and it is still not sold, do you think it might be over-priced?

A: It is over priced - just like all the other falcon coupes for sale!!

CJR09 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 06:38 PM   #32
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Watched a replay of the 81 race the other week and those first 20-30 laps between Bartlett, Brock, Johnson in TRU BLU and Morris in his XD were insane! 3 totally different cars and all had their strengths and weakness's but that was racing was all about!
First 30 laps this year I was looking for a pillow and I was at the Mountain!
Old 14-10-2016, 06:50 PM   #33
olds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It became boring when they introduced safety cars. The most iconic wins were before safety cars.Now its a fuel economy race for the last 20 laps no reflection on who has had the best car for 1000 kms
olds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 07:18 PM   #34
Pis-ton broke
Banned

Dick Johnson said the other day about racing in the eighties, "we were basically racing hotted up cars" and how good is that. such a great variety. even Nissan bluebird had a crack. maybe half a dozens different makes, didn,t rolls royce or bently win one year?
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 07:40 PM   #35
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I like COTF and I'd like to see it extended further. The brand rivalry is nearly gone now and as time goes on it will disappear for good.
Then what's the point in manufacturers taking part at all? The "Fords" that are on track aren't really Fords at all, they're just a common chassis with a fibreglass body that looks somewhat like a Ford.

I don't blame Ford for pulling out if that's what V8 Supercars has become. I liked it better two decades ago when it was the Australian Touring Car Championship.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 07:52 PM   #36
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Love Bathurst and find it the opposite of boring. Has changed for sure by for the better.
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #37
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day ,..I watched the Brock mini series last week . If accurately depicted to see just how stock the cars really were in those days is a real eye opener . A wheel change was a big deal with proper wheel nuts needing to be done..Pit stops were often 2-3 minutes plus by the look of it..Brock (no doubt most drivers ) actually worked on the cars too if the show was somewhat factual..Seat of the pants racing on skinny road tyres..Whoa..
JUST AWESOME...In those days Win on Sunday , Sell on Monday might have carried real weight..Cheers Rod....
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 08:00 PM   #38
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Then what's the point in manufacturers taking part at all? The "Fords" that are on track aren't really Fords at all, they're just a common chassis with a fibreglass body that looks somewhat like a Ford.

I don't blame Ford for pulling out if that's what V8 Supercars has become. I liked it better two decades ago when it was the Australian Touring Car Championship.
Id rather that than seeing the same teams every single year up at the top.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 08:07 PM   #39
nitro50th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
They need smaller tyres and BIG turbos.

1992 Dick Johnston taking pole
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zgIwRpKNCY
He certainly worked for his lap, was great seeing a driver row a 'H' pattern instead of sequential. The speed of his leg work coming onto conrod was awesome.
nitro50th is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 09:35 PM   #40
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I still like Bathurst but I think the thing that is missing is small amount of cars in the race.
When I saw the start I took a double take.
What happened to the days when the starting grind when around the corner and way back?
Maybe they should include the Dunlop Series in the same race and have them running in a different class to fill out the grid and add a lot of unpredictability back into the race in lapping slower cars ect.
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
9 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 09:43 PM   #41
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
Id rather that than seeing the same teams every single year up at the top.
Then have everybody driving in some non-descript bodyshell and stop pretending that they're Ford, Holden, Volvo or whatever. Because it's not.

Let's stop pretending that the Frankenstein cars going around the track are anything like the cars that you can buy on Monday. I find it hard to get excited about Bathurst when there's no REAL Ford cars to get behind, like I could back two decades ago when I was a Seton fan.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)

Last edited by NX74205; 14-10-2016 at 09:51 PM.
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #42
Blue Roo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I prefer to watch the support categories like, the Australian Muscle Cars Masters and Aussie Ute Series. More excitement, cars you can relate too and old school fun.
Blue Roo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 14-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #43
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Then have everybody driving in some non-descript bodyshell and stop pretending that they're Ford, Holden, Volvo or whatever. Because it's not.

Let's stop pretending that the Frankenstein cars going around the track are anything like the cars that you can buy on Monday. I find it hard to get excited about Bathurst when there's no REAL Ford cars to get behind, like I could back two decades ago when I was a Seton fan.
Who's suggesting that the cars on the track are anything like the cars that you can buy on Monday? Anyone who knows anything about the series realises its a control formula. Sure, there's still people out there that believe that, but they don't have anything to do with the series any more.

The manufacturers aren't. When was the last time you saw one of the represented manufacturers use a Supercars vehicle for promotion?

At least the engines represent the manufacturers brand. Sure, you can't buy any vehicle in this country with that motor in it, but at least they are still the respective manufacturer's engines.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2016, 10:48 PM   #44
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Roo View Post
I prefer to watch the support categories like, the Australian Muscle Cars Masters and Aussie Ute Series. More excitement, cars you can relate too and old school fun.

Yes I'm with you on this one. I love racing in general (drag racing mainly these days) so if it's on I would watch it but not go out of my way for it. But I love the ute series and the Muscle car masters. However it really hurts to watch those classics rub fenders and eat walls... Makes it hard to watch sometimes as I really hate seeing that!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 12:28 AM   #45
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin View Post
I stopped regularly watching V8 Supercars when Perkins stopped using the Holden V8 (1993?). It all seemed to become pretty much sanitised and purely entertainment after that.
I remember hanging out to watch the old Group Cs as a child.
Nowdays I watch TCM when I can .. and I watch the highlights of the V8s (and the V8 utes) but its a passing interest only. I'd rather be out in the shed working on my own cars or bikes ...
Yep when Perky won in the last Holden 5.0L powered V8 was the last of the true blue Aussie racing era.

If only I had a time machine, It would of been great to be there from the 1968 and on races, as it was the real Aussie mate man ship that you had down at the tracks in them days, the passion for the cars and the racing was truly fantastic and the Ford people VS the Holden people was bloody full on and the Sh-- fights that I seen at the track were just classic true blue Aussie stuff and you could drink till the cows came home, no one took offence like they do nowadays and it was to be expected that someone maybe hurling abuse at the opposition was just the done thing.
I never seen any fights ever but seen plenty pass out drunk, you would see old mate in the opposition that was having a go ranting, some time later sleeping it off laying flat out on the grass, the next time you looked around and you would say look old muggins has hit the deck.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #46
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor View Post
Yes I'm with you on this one. I love racing in general (drag racing mainly these days) so if it's on I would watch it but not go out of my way for it. But I love the ute series and the Muscle car masters. However it really hurts to watch those classics rub fenders and eat walls... Makes it hard to watch sometimes as I really hate seeing that!
I love the real tight going for it all out full on racing 2 or 3 cars even if not up in the front of the race, we seen that in some of the old racing days even at Bathurst, the TV would show what was going on back in the field where the real action was going on.
Old 15-10-2016, 12:46 AM   #47
xr8cam

Ozjavelin nailed it with 'sanitised' Perfect description. When I was trying to think of a new class, I kept coming back to the problem of no Falcon V Commondoor. What is the future, usa GM V8 imports V usa Ford V8 Mustang imports. Suddenly touring car racing in this country is looking pretty sad.
xr8cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 01:31 AM   #48
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8cam View Post
Ozjavelin nailed it with 'sanitised' Perfect description. When I was trying to think of a new class, I kept coming back to the problem of no Falcon V Commondoor. What is the future, usa GM V8 imports V usa Ford V8 Mustang imports. Suddenly touring car racing in this country is looking pretty sad.
Didn't they switch from V8 Supercars to simply Supercars?

Odds are they'll do what other series such as DTM and Japanese GT500 are doing and switch to turbo fours. That way you'll get a variety of marques, but obviously the days of homegrown competition are done.

I'm still not used to seeing Toyota in NASCR (not that I've followed NASCAR in about 20 years).
Old 15-10-2016, 02:30 AM   #49
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

It will be interesting to keep an eye on the popularity of the GT3 based 12H and the Production 6 hour over the next couple of years to see if they can gain some popularity and media exposure.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 10:31 AM   #50
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
Dick Johnston taking pole
Hu hu hu hu 8==D

On a more serious note watching Bathurst is like watching test cricket, you're either in it for the long haul or you just check it out every halfa.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 11:17 AM   #51
lownloud
Ford Junkie

What killed Aussie Touring cars for me....
-The cars no longer have any relevance to what you can actually buy. 5 litre pushrod V8s... 'nuff said.
-The drivers have no brand loyalty and just seem to chase the $$$. Think Johnson, Brock, Grice, Perkins etc up until group A.
-The drivers seem to have no character. I blame hefty fines for saying anything remotely controversial or interesting or even humorous that may reflect badly on the sport.
-And now Foxtel. Lack of free to air coverage means I didn't even know who 3/4 of the drivers are and what they were driving at Bathurst this year.
- Mark Skaife's one eyed Jamie Whincup commentating. The bromance is strong....

Having said that I went to Bathurst last year and again this year and thoroughly enjoyed it! The rest of the series I just really don't care any more.
Old 15-10-2016, 11:34 AM   #52
Highway star

What killed Bathurst for me this year and for ever more.

1. The only thing Ford or Holden was the badge on the cars.
2. How can you win a race when you never led a lap?
3. Listening to Mark Scaife for 6 hours talk about nothing but fuel and who had some or not, would drive any man to drink!
4. I missed the National anthem was it any good? because the rest was *****!
Highway star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 11:52 AM   #53
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Skaife is either talking &^%$ or he's trying to commentate like someone calling the final stages of the Melbourne cup.

Just leave it to Crompton, he's the best commentator in the land. Well spoken, unbiased, and just gives us facts - not hopes/dreams/opinions.
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-10-2016, 11:53 AM   #54
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lownloud View Post
What killed Aussie Touring cars for me....
-The cars no longer have any relevance to what you can actually buy. 5 litre pushrod V8s... 'nuff said.
-The drivers have no brand loyalty and just seem to chase the $$$. Think Johnson, Brock, Grice, Perkins etc up until group A.
-The drivers seem to have no character. I blame hefty fines for saying anything remotely controversial or interesting or even humorous that may reflect badly on the sport.
-And now Foxtel. Lack of free to air coverage means I didn't even know who 3/4 of the drivers are and what they were driving at Bathurst this year.
- Mark Skaife's one eyed Jamie Whincup commentating. The bromance is strong....

Having said that I went to Bathurst last year and again this year and thoroughly enjoyed it! The rest of the series I just really don't care any more.
Welcome to Political Correctness where all become sterile.
Old 15-10-2016, 12:21 PM   #55
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I was at Bathurst and the feeling with the big crowds was that every bugger is going now before they change and have 6 and 4 cylinder cars in there...................
Old 15-10-2016, 08:31 PM   #56
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh man please not the sierra and skyline days... terrible.
At least the GM car beat them in 1990.

Why hate..? unite
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2016, 09:28 PM   #57
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Motor racings far bigger than Ford v Holden,that said cant deny ive loved the rivalry over the years Bathurst though is an event period and always worthy of watching the whole day no matter what grill badge you support,ive watched so many the outcome doesnt really bother me to much its more the twists n turns along the way i find enjoyable.
Old 15-10-2016, 09:39 PM   #58
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodX View Post
Oh man please not the sierra and skyline days... terrible.
At least the GM car beat them in 1990.

Why hate..? unite
Why terrible? Watched the GTR in NZ at the Wellington st race,teething troubles saw it in the pits for long periods but when out was lapping 5 seconds quicker per lap than the beemer that won the race,whats not to like.
Old 15-10-2016, 09:42 PM   #59
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I guess I was lucky, I was @ Bathurst when Dick Johnson hit the rock, when the Nissan Bluebird blew its turbo at the top of the mountain. I have found memories from those days. I doubt if we will every see a 'car you can buy on Monday' format again, I hope they get it right so the next generation of race goes get to see what I saw
UK
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 12:51 AM   #60
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98TLS View Post
Why terrible? Watched the GTR in NZ at the Wellington st race,teething troubles saw it in the pits for long periods but when out was lapping 5 seconds quicker per lap than the beemer that won the race,whats not to like.
Where it comes from.
its fan base.
the tech stolen from westerners.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post