Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-02-2008, 10:40 AM   #31
XRchic
Hello

I have been smoke free for nearly 3 years. Gave up before I got pregnant with my son. I cannot stand chics who smoke when pregnant.

My tips:

- cold turkey ONLY
- no patches, they just draw out the agony and nicotine withdrawal only lasts for a couple of days to a week, so why drag that out?
- get your head around the habit thing, because the habit is all that is left after a week when the craving for nicotine is gone... nothing and no one but you can help with that and its just about determination to break those habits and trying to replace them with other things which are much healthier
- dont hide yourself from places where there will be smokers, just go there and get used to being around other smokers as you will always come across them

My biggest problem with giving up in the past was when my partner at the time didnt give up with me, and would smoke inside when I was trying to resist. My current partner doesnt smoke, so that made life a lot easier for me - there were just no smokes around!

Good luck, and yes, it does get MUCH easier! I very rarely even think about it now.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 AM   #32
xr8 utey
FORD DRIVERS WANTED!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrXhUteMan
Well so far so good. The cravings are pretty extreme, and i find i have zero tolerence for anyone and anything- But can only get easier right?
yes it only gets easier and you get more wealthier! :
you still doing ok?
Old 13-10-2008, 01:25 PM   #33
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well I had my last ciggie before bed on Saturday night.

I was at a conference last week which our industry has every year...At our dinner I inquired where Joe Blow was as he's usually a regular at these events and a life of the party kind of bloke. I was told that Joe died of lung cancer 3 months ago aged 38 with a wife and 3 kids. Joe was a 10 a day smoker, so not heavy.

Now I may not quit for good but that's enought to make me wanna stop, and if it turns out to be permanant then great.

Cold turkey with the aid of some Nicorette gum for me...I've had 3 pieces of the gum in 2 days and it is the worse thing i've ever tasted

I've had to stop drinking coffee as this just bring on cravings. The test will be really be when I next have a beer
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 01:31 PM   #34
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmale42
Well I had my last ciggie before bed on Saturday night.

I was at a conference last week which our industry has every year...At our dinner I inquired where Joe Blow was as he's usually a regular at these events and a life of the party kind of bloke. I was told that Joe died of lung cancer 3 months ago aged 38 with a wife and 3 kids. Joe was a 10 a day smoker, so not heavy.

Now I may not quit for good but that's enought to make me wanna stop, and if it turns out to be permanant then great.

Cold turkey with the aid of some Nicorette gum for me...I've had 3 pieces of the gum in 2 days and it is the worse thing i've ever tasted

I've had to stop drinking coffee as this just bring on cravings. The test will be really be when I next have a beer
The beer test is pretty bad, I gave up smoking a few years ago after smoking for 10. Went cold turkey and I think I've had a total of 2 smokes since I quit.

Try to put the money that you would usually spend on smokes aside and save it for something that you want, it makes things a bit easier I found.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #35
falconboy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I'm the only one in the country who REALLY wants to quit, has tried all the methods and CAN'T. I think the patches are fantastic they have worked for me for varying periods of time - some say they just replace the one in your mouth for a patch, and in some respects they do, but the thing is they gradually lower your intake, so after the last 4 weeks on the low dose patches, the next step of no nicotine is hardly noticable and BINGO, your body no longer craves the drug. HOWEVER, the problem (and my major issue) is the psychological habit of lighting up with those triggers - the coffee, starting the car, after meals etc. My body doesn't need it, my brain is telling me I need it (even though its wrong). If there was a magic antidote to the brain triggers, I'd kill for it. I obviously don't have much willpower.

I even went through the patches recently, no problems, no major wishes for a ciggie, but the day I finished the patches, I could not resist that urge from my brain that because I didn't have a patch on anymore I need to smoke one. I had no withdrawal symptoms, I know my BODY wasn't craving it, my brain was telling me I needed it. How ridiculous and disappointed I was with myself. :(

Yes, I'm still smoking. However if you are a fatty as well, loosing weight is SOOOO much easier. I've been on Lite N Easy for 7 weeks and lost 10kg with no major hunger issues. God I wish quitting smoking was that easy.

A word of warning to those thinking of trying the Zyban or Chantix pills. Zyban has been linked to suicide and murders as the pill changes brain chemistry and can cause issues. The makers deny a 'proven' link, but theres enough smoke (pardon the pun) so there has to be fire, and I've experienced it. I have experienced moderate anger issues on Zyban, (that if the punch had hit its mark I'd be up on an assault charge, lucky I missed), and I haven't thrown a punch since fisty cuffs in school and was not something that one would expect I would get so angry about. Use Zyban as a last resort. Chantix/Champix (I think US and Aus call it different), I didn't get a chance to try properly as the stomach pains it was giving me were unbearable after 2 weeks, but I would give it a try before Zyban as I had no anger issues for those 2 weeks at all.

Good luck.
Old 13-10-2008, 01:55 PM   #36
schnoods
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I quit 3 years ago, did it cold turkey.

Thing that did it for me was isolation from smokes, I stopped going out with mates that were smokers for the first month, Stopped going to pubs/nightclubs because it was easy to grab a ciggy off someone.

Even at work, i had to stay away from the smokers table at smoko just to refrain from asking or being offered one.

Even shopping was hard, seeing the ciggarette counter was hard walking in and out, just had to turn a blind eye.

After the first 2 weeks, its just a matter of keeping away and being strict with yourself, dont give in to a mate if he offers.

95 EF XR8, Advance headers, Vortech V2 t trim blower, Ported Cobra Manifold, Capa Switch Chip Eliminator. 307 rwhp 395 ft/lb 13.2 @ 105mph

Now NA- AFR 165 heads, 1.6RR, Ported Cobra 269rwhp 14.2 ... needs stall and 4.11's

1977 CL Chrysler Panel Van, 360, 727 torqueflite auto soon to be restored.
schnoods is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2008, 03:29 PM   #37
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I had my last one on August 6th. Been smoking for 15 years. Cold turkey is the only way to get off and stay off them i reckon.

I havent had one since and straight away you notice how much better all foods taste, the car don't stink anymore and the $ saved is unbelievable.

Willpower plays a huge part also. It's a big mind f#!& but ya just gotta beat it.

All the best to all us quitter's out there.

Cheers, Adam.
Old 13-10-2008, 10:41 PM   #38
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

I have been thinking more and more about quitting, but i think that i'll have to quit drinking at the same time, which makes the battle that much harder...
The smell, the money and just the fact i "need" one after a couple of hours is what motivates me at the moment. kind of a weakness thing IM(conflicted)O.
The first one in the morning is the one i will miss the most i think.

I heard somewhere that Nicotine is more addictive (hence harder to give up) than cocaine... I wish i didnt know that now, lol

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2008, 12:34 AM   #39
IH8HSV
XR6T 400kw(well one day!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnoods
I quit 3 years ago, did it cold turkey.

Thing that did it for me was isolation from smokes, I stopped going out with mates that were smokers for the first month, Stopped going to pubs/nightclubs because it was easy to grab a ciggy off someone.

Even at work, i had to stay away from the smokers table at smoko just to refrain from asking or being offered one.

Even shopping was hard, seeing the ciggarette counter was hard walking in and out, just had to turn a blind eye.

After the first 2 weeks, its just a matter of keeping away and being strict with yourself, dont give in to a mate if he offers.
Yeah mate, I agree.

This is the way i did it and it worked.

The first 2 weeks are hard but once you tough that out then eventually you will hate the taste of a cigarette.
Old 14-10-2008, 07:40 AM   #40
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

I gave up in April 2004 after being a 30-40 a day smoker. I had started smoking when I was 12. (I caught my elder sister smoking who said "here have one" & I did, then she said "now you can't tell anyone")
When I gave up I tried the patches but because I sweat so much they did not stick on for long. So I ended up doing it cold Turkey. My motivation for giving up though was my wife, it was embarassing to go and pay $14 for a pack of longbeach 40's everyday when I knew full well we were not that great finacially. My wife never complained or said anything, it was my own concience that made me feel bad.
Old 14-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #41
Dazza XLT
Back in a Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Try to put the money that you would usually spend on smokes aside and save it for something that you want, it makes things a bit easier I found.
I gave up 3 1/2 years ago & I put mine into my ute!

Best method for me was the gum. Tastes like crap, but gives you that instant hit similar to a cigarette. After a while I just changed onto Extra/Juicy Fruit, and the job was right.
Don't be afraid to ring the Quit-line & get a quit pack either. Some handy hits/advice in there to help you kick the habit.

Good luck!
Old 14-10-2008, 11:48 AM   #42
ogtrip
Starter Motor

I've given up for 6 weeks now. cold turkey and will power. i work in construction where everyone smokes so it's really hard.

I find that being one of those really annoying reformed smokers that I used to hate actually helps. I take pride in that fact that I've given up and theyre still smelly disgusting smoking pigs.... I get them so worked up that if I ever slipped and had a smoke they would probably bash me, therefore more reason to not smoke and have the upperhand over my smoking workmates
Old 14-10-2008, 11:52 AM   #43
ogtrip
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza XL
Don't be afraid to ring the Quit-line & get a quit pack either. Some handy hits/advice in there to help you kick the habit.
Yea, most definately! Even the quit website is really good. I read the whole site and did all the activities.
Old 15-10-2008, 10:36 AM   #44
mmhmm

hey guys
reading this im on the quits as i've been a smoker almost 4 years now, im using just microtabs for a couple of days and then will go cold turkey after i cut down? hope that will help .
but my initial question is how do i get my parents to stop smoking, my dad is a pack or 2 a day chain smoker. He sometimes looks at the products that are out there but decides his too old to quit now, his tried Zyban and thats failed him.. what can i do ?
mmhmm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 10:55 AM   #45
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmhmm
hey guys
reading this im on the quits as i've been a smoker almost 4 years now, im using just microtabs for a couple of days and then will go cold turkey after i cut down? hope that will help .
but my initial question is how do i get my parents to stop smoking, my dad is a pack or 2 a day chain smoker. He sometimes looks at the products that are out there but decides his too old to quit now, his tried Zyban and thats failed him.. what can i do ?
Move out of home?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2008, 11:20 PM   #46
gemibabe

I gave up the ciggy's 3mnths ago now.

slipped up once, and had 4 smokes. That was enough to turn me off them for good. Oh and meeting a nice fit and healthy bloke has sealed the deal for me

I also have this quit metre which helps stay off them. Enter your details and it tells you how long you've not smoked for, how many smokes not smoked, how much saved etc etc.

http://www.silkquit.org/stop-smoking/quit-meter.aspx

good luck
And stay strong!!!
Old 16-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #47
X000BOSS
I12 GO FASTER

champix has worked for a few people i know. funny thing is you just keep on smoking while on these tablets and you automatically get sick of the ciggy. apparantly its real easy. im going to try them one day soon, but im waiting till im really ready to quit before i do so.
Old 17-10-2008, 08:49 AM   #48
MAD
Petro-sexual

I quit about 4.5 - 5 months ago I think. I used hypnotism and it has been fantastic for me.
The guy explained a bit how the mind works, using flying on a plane as an example. You dont feel like a smoke on a plane cause you KNOW you cant have one. Then all the hypnotism helped with was to make that decision that I AM a non-smoker. When the thoughts for a smoke popped up after that I just had to dismiss the thought and say to myself "why would I want one, I dont smoke". and from then on the thoughts slowly disappear. I can comfortably go to any place where there is a lot of smokers and dont have any urges.
And the reason for the "I think" at the start of this thread is cause I'm not counting the days, so I dont need to remember anymore.

One thing that can really help is to take up some sort of activity that will help you see the benefit of quitting. I took up Hapkido not long before I quit, and I have really seen the difference.

I highly recommend 'Whole Mind Strategies' in Dandenong. Tony is the bloke, a real nice guy. Oh yeah, I suppose some will want to know the cost. For the 2 visits its comes to a total of $245. $95 per session and $50 for some CD's. I've well and truly saved that already.
Old 17-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #49
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

the biggest place people go wrong is when they quit and start sneaking onme in here and there... the moment u have one is the moment u are afully adicted smoker again.. i have quit many times and each time i have taking it up again by sneaking one smoke in here and then then wham.. ful ltime smoking again... ive quit for 8 mounths now easly cold turky.... the easy way is by not sneaking a smoke in EVER...... it just makes it inposible to quit.
hell i still love the smell.. but i know that if i EVER pick one up il lbe addicted again so i just dont do it.
i quit by using patches but just used the one patch and left it on for a week .... (still kinda cold turky )

Last edited by INJECTED_250; 18-10-2008 at 12:07 AM.
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #50
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Packet plus a day/night for 30 years of night shift driving Gave them up cold turkey just before the GST came in then after 12 months put my self in hock for a brand new XR8 and had it payed for in less than 5 years that was nearly 8 years ago . would still love one rite now but know I couldn't give them up twice : as stated before no point trying if you realy dont wont to give them up, you have to give them up for your self not because someone else wants you to..Good Luck :

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #51
eternity
Starter Motor

I applaud people who went cold turkey and succeeded. It can be extremely painful in the first few days.

I have been a smoker in and out for 20 years. I've kept giving up and starting up numerous times. No, I haven't been successful but managed to stay out for up to 2 years a time. This is what I learnt.

There are three components to the habit you want to defeat:

1. Physical addiction. 3-7 days to get rid off. Always feels miserable and crappy. Using nicotine containing gum and patches only prolong the agony and make it more likely to slip. Best is to use nicotine-free medication to relief the craving: Zyban and Nortriptyline are the most effective and guaranteed to make things a LOT easier. Zyban is more expensive and has quite a few side effects. Nortriptyline has virtually no side effects and is a LOT cheaper. Talk to your doctor about these as both are prescription medicine. Plan ahead to avoid stress and being idle during this period.

2. Psychological habit. Up to 2 months. Certain activities always go with a cigarette, like waking up, after meal etc. That's where your will is needed most. Urges come unexpectedly and but always go away within 5-10 min.

3. You think are cured - however the habit is embeded in the back of your mind forever and this is where I have failed many times. One cigarette can be enough to go back to the old habit. Sadly, I could never last for more than 2 years. I guess a constant discipline is needed because the pressure is on when facing certain situations.

It is a lot harder than it sounds but many examples prove is very much possible.

Last edited by eternity; 18-10-2008 at 03:02 PM.
eternity is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-10-2008, 03:00 PM   #52
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well only lasted 5 days....out last night drinking and smoked a packet...Oh well tray again Monday....
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 23-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #53
Skotty
Banned

Default One for the smokers

What ways have you tried to quit smoking? I've been trying latley (I figured wouldn't be too hard since I only started after a new years party this year)...

Anyways I was trying to cut back (I smoke Escort blue, if and I can't get them then its Peter Jackson gold..) Had a mate who told me to just have 1 or 2 dunhill international red and ease off with them since they are bigger and smooth...

Sounded good in theory... till I tried them and actually enjoyed them more than my normal smokes...

So what do you guys smoke and how have you tried to give em up?
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #54
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hahah yeah - upping the milligram doesn't work ever. A mate tried that with Winnie reds - then ended up smoking way too much and started sounding like a 90yr old(he's 20 mind you) he's quit them now though. Cold turkey.. Not even when he drinks does he have one, although he does smoke a little bit of wacky tobacci every now and then but thats different.

Some friends try to quit by smoking lighter ciggies but it never works -they just continue smoking - they just aren't quite as bad for you as the stronger ones..

The only friends i know that have quit - only quit by Cold Turkey. Some might have a smoke every now and then when they're out having a drink but thats it, other's just plain refuse to ever again.
My mum and dad though had hypno-therapy about 26 years ago when she got pregnant with my older brother. They both now hate smokes - it makes them feel sick when they smell it and my dads opinion on smokers is that they have a "personality defect" lol - he's a wonker sometimes though.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 10:38 AM   #55
LTDterri
SY TS Territory

Skotty, now Im not a smoker but I was and gave up back in 1994, its hard work and the cravings can last a long time, I would say at least 3 years for me, but I found cutting back did not work, I just went cold, I failed about 5 times but each time you'll go longer and longer till you won't want one. The trick then is to resist the temptation, keep at it mate you will succeed if you really want to.
LTDterri is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #56
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This one probably belongs in "The Bar".

I'm hopeless. I haven't smoked at work since the start of last year and often go the whole Mon-Fri without smoking. But come the weekend, when you're with mates and beer and they're all smoking...... yeah, I'm hopeless.

I've have the most success with nicotine lozenges. Patches and gum (gives me a sore jaw) are useless IMO.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #57
Skotty
Banned

Good thing is I dont go to the bar, the only time I'm around other smokers is manily on crusies, I can go a few days without, but then I get ****ed off and find my self at the deli shelling out some coin for another pack...
Skotty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #58
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skotty
Good thing is I dont go to the bar, the only time I'm around other smokers is manily on crusies, I can go a few days without, but then I get ****ed off and find my self at the deli shelling out some coin for another pack...
I'm 46 and after being a smoker for 28 years, the last 10 years being only 5-10 a day (unless out drinking), I finally quit in March this year using hypnosis and haven't had one since.

Don't even think about smoking now...However if I'm out drinking and around other smokers I do get the urge occasioanly but you just resist it. I think what somebody said above is right...It does take a long time to get over the cravings totally.

Another reason not to go back to smoking for me is that my Dad died a month ago of a smoking related illness aged 72

Old 23-10-2009, 01:11 PM   #59
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I can't and probably won't quit till I'm older. Currently on the escort reds roughly 3 35 packs a week. I have found that as I'm young and all my mates smoke it's going to be too hard to stop just yet. I'll wait till I get older and have more will power. Till then bring on lung cancer and weak blood flow!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #60
GTJOHN
Ford 4 Life

i smoke 25-40 a day and have been doing so for 25 years or so..anyone that can find a way to make me stop id be glad to try it....
Ive said i wont buy any this weekend and just try cold turkey ( Plus some hypno programs on iphone to assist)..Ill see how this goes

2nd Car - AU Falcon ,
Black Tickford wheels and Bodykit

---------------------------------------------------
GTJOHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post