Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 13-09-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

Default Re: iPhone 5 Announced

I dont know what crack your all smoking.. but Ive got my Iphone 4s jailbroken and its awesome.. can you jail break these other phones you speak of?

personally I wouldnt buy anything windows based.. that would be like buying a Hyundai and putting a body kit on it.. its never going to work properly.

Iphones went from being socially the coolest thing on the planet to now somewhat of a social defect... just as well I could care less about being trendy.. I still love flannel shirts ,black jeans and footy socks though.
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 07:41 PM   #32
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

HG, what are the Dis/advantages of jailbreaking. Thought of it then decided to play it safe.

I am a bit let down by the 5. I expected them to really take the fight to the galaxy. Sure apple revolutionised the music & phone industry, but their products dont seem to be cutting the mustard anymore. When I say that, im not saying their product is crap, I just think they have lost that "edge" & innovation that apple was renowned for not long ago.

The Galaxy Really has taken the fight to the apple, and in terms of the screen size & surface area of the phone, there is a WHOLE lota screen on the Galaxy II. I was really hoping that Apple would take a leaf out of their book. Because in comparison to the SII, the Iphone has alot of wasted real estate. I suppose what I am saying is that the Home button & Earpiece sections could have been encroached on like the SII without increasing the physical size of the phone, or at least minimizing how much bigger the phone would need to be lengthened. I also thought the screen could have gone (along with the rest of the phone) wider. That I also wanted. I came to all of this when I put my 4 on top of my dads SII just for a quick comparo.

As for any real improvements, there isnt much over a 4S which is a little disappointing. most software & features apart from video IIRC correctly have been carried over. Just as the 3GS carried over into the 4.

Maybe Im being harsh & my opinion might change when I hold one. Till then......
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 07:52 PM   #33
XW 393
"WHEEZER" POWERED

I picked up a new samsung galaxy and played with it for a while and I found that well, kind of like I really needed to "read the manual" to make the thing user friendly. Didnt come naturally to me. Different strokes ..... so they say.
Old 13-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #34
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaniSS
If you don't like it don't buy it. Go buy the Sumsung Brick SIII or the HTC Boring.
If you think that's a brick, I have a Galaxy Note
Now that my friend, is huge. Did have a 3GS previous (a mate was selling it cheap) and what a load of crap it was. Couldn't wait to get rid of it

Running tuned at 191.3rwkw with 475nm Torque
Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
Now rolling on staggered Matte black Lesnso D1R's
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Now the proud owner of a '97 NL Fairlane

XR6T0Y is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #35
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
I dont know what crack your all smoking.. but Ive got my Iphone 4s jailbroken and its awesome.. can you jail break these other phones you speak of?

personally I wouldnt buy anything windows based.. that would be like buying a Hyundai and putting a body kit on it.. its never going to work properly.

Iphones went from being socially the coolest thing on the planet to now somewhat of a social defect... just as well I could care less about being trendy.. I still love flannel shirts ,black jeans and footy socks though.
Other phones don't need to be jail broken as there are no limitations on them. That's just another flaw of the apple product.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #36
H.G
Driver Returns On Foot

only dis advantage I've found is not being able to update until the next jail break program is available.. SO in Itunes you need to turn off automatic updates when you plug your phone in.
but once you've done it. you have so much more at your fingertips.. Im not actually sure why APPLE limit the phone so much..
anything that has been restricted is obviously been freed up..

as for individualising your phone.. once jail broken the possibilities are endless.............
and no virus risk.. because its not windows based.. Apple across the board is alot more user friendly and safer to use.. being phones or computers.. I will never go back to a windows based product..
they way I see it.. if you want to play computer games.. go windows..
if you want a computer that does everything else.. get an Apple. ;)

*now where did I put that flame retardant suit?*
H.G is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 08:13 PM   #37
My poor XF
Geelong FC 07, 09 & 2011

Love my 4s, so simple to use, does everything I want and has nothing I don't use. Same with my iPad.

Haters gonna hate
Old 13-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #38
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.G
only dis advantage I've found is not being able to update until the next jail break program is available.. SO in Itunes you need to turn off automatic updates when you plug your phone in.
but once you've done it. you have so much more at your fingertips.. Im not actually sure why APPLE limit the phone so much..
anything that has been restricted is obviously been freed up..

as for individualising your phone.. once jail broken the possibilities are endless.............
and no virus risk.. because its not windows based.. Apple across the board is alot more user friendly and safer to use.. being phones or computers.. I will never go back to a windows based product..
they way I see it.. if you want to play computer games.. go windows..
if you want a computer that does everything else.. get an Apple. ;)

*now where did I put that flame retardant suit?*
H.G. - I have a few issues with your arguments

With a jail broken iPhone - there is significant potential risk getting your app/themes etc through other avenues that are not regulated (ie Cydia). I personally jail broke my iPhone when I had one but I would never recommend it to someone who didn't know what it was. Also jail breaking isn't amazing as such - I remember when it used to really just unlock the features android already had! I haven't done it in a while.

Next though - what windows phone did you have? I'm assuming none due to your argument. Windows Phone is related to Windows computer in no way. There are no viruses on Windows Phone and it's just as safe as an iPhone. Now if you have personal experience to say otherwise then fair enough but you haven't backed up your statements.

In terms of iPhone 5 - its mainly just a bit of a let down because the innovation isn't there anymore (from 4S onwards really) and this will be the iPhone for the next 12mths - and that's it.

Different strokes - to quote someone earlier.
Old 13-09-2012, 09:29 PM   #39
just_pazz
Ford Convert

im afraid the android Juggernaut will roll over iOS eventually, and I will enjoy every single moment of it. Apple are very afraid for their market position hence their recent "patent" lawsuits, on rectangles mind you. Google android accounts for around 68% of the world's smartphone market. A position well deserved as it's "our" Android'.
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 09:35 PM   #40
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_pazz
im afraid the android Juggernaut will roll over iOS eventually, and I will enjoy every single moment of it. Apple are very afraid for their market position hence their recent "patent" lawsuits, on rectangles mind you. Google android accounts for around 68% of the world's smartphone market. A position well deserved as it's "our" Android'.
As it should be however as much of a fan I am of the platform I'm not excited for Jelly Bean.

Need something new to play with so off to Windows Phone 8 for me.
Old 13-09-2012, 09:53 PM   #41
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Only on AFF could you have an argument about a phone that no one has ever seen let alone used and a phone operating system that has not even been released.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #42
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Only on AFF could you have an argument about a phone that no one has ever seen let alone used and a phone operating system that has not even been released.
It runs IOS (which almost all of us would have used) so that's what I'm basing my assessment on where changes are certainly minimal. Add to that - there was nothing that Apple announced with it that says it's any different than previous iPhones (operationally) except for the camera (which hasn't been discussed here).

I don't know - we know what it looks like so we can make personal assessments of that, and we know how the software operates so we can also assessments of that.

Only one person has make a comment on it's feel but I haven't seen anybody else comment in that regard.

I think we're only "arguing" about area's we know about.
Old 13-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #43
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I have an iPhone 4. When my contract runs out, I'll get an iPhone 5.

No biggie.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:04 PM   #44
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

A features comparison
http://www.androidcentral.com/samsun...s3-vs-iphone-5
Old 13-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #45
just_pazz
Ford Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
As it should be however as much of a fan I am of the platform I'm not excited for Jelly Bean.

Need something new to play with so off to Windows Phone 8 for me.
Jelly Bean is quite good, I have it on my Nexus devices but it's basically a polished version of ICS so true it's probably nothing to get excited about. It's snappy, and it made my two year old nexus s seem like a completely new phone. Main problem with Jelly Bean at the moment is as it accounts for only 1% of Android devices not a lot of apps seem properly support it, especially the rooted apps. (Jailbroken for you iphone numbskulls)

But seriously I can do **** with my android phone that Apple users would only dream of, nerd stuff that is
just_pazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:09 PM   #46
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Indeed, AFF is the only place on the internet arguing about the iPhone 5 right now.

Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:15 PM   #47
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
Indeed, AFF is the only place on the internet arguing about the iPhone 5 right now.

Heh, best post so far.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:19 PM   #48
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why do you people who don't have an iPhone or don't plan on getting one even feel the need to tell us all how bad it is?

I have an iPhone. I like it. You have something else. You like that. That's the end of it for me. I have no desire whatsoever to attempt to justify my purchase or try and prove mine is better than yours.

It's just a phone. Get over it.
AdamL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:21 PM   #49
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL
try and prove mine is better than yours.
I've had A few Android phones, most recent a Galaxy Note (love it) and an iPhone.

Mines better than yours

Pacemaker PH4490 + Hiflo Pacemaker cat/catpipe + Xforce 2.5' catback into dual pipes after Diff.
FG Manifold + Herrod airbox + 20% underdrive +Hi flow thermostat + 26mm radiator and Weapon X coils!
NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 13-09-2012, 10:27 PM   #50
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh... Who takes N/A 6 drivers seriously anyway
Old 13-09-2012, 10:29 PM   #51
XR6T0Y
Half brain dead already

Oh trust me, if I wasn't on my p's, it would've been an 8/6T ha

NOW MANUAL!
Shockwave Blue!
More to come

Old 13-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #52
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

I like my Iphone ..... people can ring me and I can ring them ..... even during my 'quiet time' I can read AFF! Amazing stuff really. When it breaks I will get something else that does all the above and will be happy once again.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 10:48 PM   #53
Nova 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
I like my Iphone ..... people can ring me and I can ring them ..... even during my 'quiet time' I can read AFF! Amazing stuff really. When it breaks I will get something else that does all the above and will be happy once again.
This is what i want out of a phone too, only reason I dont have an iphone is because I hate the music player (itunes). I originally got an android phone for the freedom since apple seem like nazi's to me (anyone read about them spying on workers, tapping phones etc o.O) but I dont use any of the features so its irrelevent. I dont get why phones need to do everything, if I'm home I can use my PC, if im out on the go I'm hopefully not so bored that I need to resort to my phone for entertainment.
Old 13-09-2012, 10:55 PM   #54
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people take their phones too seriously. They treat them like 1970's super computers. Really, how much are you going to do on a telephone, that is much easier to do on a PC.

I've never tried Android. I never will because the iPhone continues to meet 99% of my needs. I like my iPhone. I like the simplicity of it all. I don't need to hack the OS. I don't want to tweak it. I don't need all that flexibility. I like that I can get an app that is secure. It doesn't have virus. I can use my banking apps without worrying about trojans. If using Itunes removes the risk of having my phone hacked or a virus hit it, then I'm all for Itines. The Iphone is simple to use. Simple too setup and it does everything I want, except for flash sites. But hey, life goes on, and life goes on without flash on my mobile device.

I will buy an iPhone5 once my iPhone 4s contract is up. My wife will upgrade her 3GS to the 5. My son gets the hand me downs, so he sticks with my old 3GS. He uses it as an Ipod.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:05 PM   #55
creative
I am Batman

Lol...

Cant beat a good android Vs apple debate!

I like my tech. I like the iphone as a piece of hardware and I like android phones, but not all. I like the freedom i have with android, i despise the way apple lock everything down... Jailbreak isnt that fantastic it just allows you to do what android already does.(i have a jailbroken ipad.. Not through choice! ). I love the flexabilty of android. I dont like the rom, i change it. I want something from another phone android phone, i install it. I want to boost my signal, i change the radio file, i want to plug it into any computer without the threat of wiping whats on there, i will. I want to increase storage, i will.

See the theme there for me? i have always said that of you want a phone that just works, get an iphone, you want a phone to do what you want, get an android........An iphone running android.. The perfect combination!

In regards the iphone5, i was hoping they would comeout with something that broke the mold like the first one did but after the hype that apples marketing machine puts out, it has been a huge let down..... And imho they are playing catchup, not just with android but with the like of htc and samsung.

Who used the panoramic way of rotating the phone to auto take pictures?... I was doing that on my SGS with ICS.... Are samsung gonna cry in court or will they just do one better with the next release?

Last edited by creative; 13-09-2012 at 11:11 PM.
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:10 PM   #56
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative
Lol...

Cant beat a good android Vs apple debate!

I like my tech. I like the iphone as a piece of hardware and I like android phones, but not all. I like the freedom i have with android, i despise the way apple lock everything down... Jailbreak isnt that fantastic it just allows you to do what android already does.(i have a jailbroken ipad.. Not through choice! ). I love the flexabilty of android. I dont like the rom, i change it. I want something from another phone android phone, i install it. I want to boost my signal, i change the radio file, i want to plug it into any computer without the threat of wiping whats on there, i will. I want to increase storage, i will.

See the theme there for me? i have always said that of you want a phone that just works, get an iphone, you want a phone to do what you want, get an android........An iphone running android.. The perfect combination!
Bloody hell ..... lost me after 'LOL' ......

I must be missing out on something ..... I have got the app thing that checks the weather and a couple of others I dont use ..... changing topic for just a sec ..... but what the hell is jailbreak .... apart from an ACDC song?????

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:11 PM   #57
AdamL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like you needed 6 phones, a screwdriver and a soldering iron to get the phone you wanted.
Old 13-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #58
Nova 8

Quote:

I must be missing out on something ..... I have got the app thing that checks the weather and a couple of others I dont use ..... changing topic for just a sec ..... but what the hell is jailbreak .... apart from an ACDC song?????
Jailbreak hacks the OS allowing more freedom of useage, something you wont be interested in. honestly if you have to jailbreak a phone to use it, its the wrong phone. Weather, music, time, messages and phone is what i mainly use. sometimes i use the net and gps but honestly I CBF fiddling with something so small when i have a pc.

Edit: there is this cool feature where i can take a photo and it will record the location - I LIKE THAT!!!! Ohh and the Live365 app
Old 13-09-2012, 11:14 PM   #59
creative
I am Batman

Quote:

Jailbreak basically allows you to install things without going through itunes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamL
Sounds like you needed 6 phones, a screwdriver and a soldering iron to get the phone you wanted.
No... Just a computer and a file.... Or even better, these days you can run odin already on the phone so a computer is redundant!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2012, 11:17 PM   #60
brydie76
Moff-fan

Like others have said here, those of you proclaiming that Android/WP8/whatever will take the majority of Apple's market share are wrong. Sure, they will take some. But the majority that was there to take have already moved over after being underwhelmed by the iPhone 4S. Those are the true "feature users", those that give a damn about what processor, pixel density, etc is in their phone.

The majority of people who own iPhones use them however, not for the "features", but because they are easy to use. Heck, my mum figured it out in a day, that says a lot! People don't need such and such mega-screen/processor from Samsung, they need something that they can plug into their computer and have all their music magically move over to it in a way they are familiar with.

And that familiarly would be 99% of the reason why this wasn't a massive revolution of the iPhone- why lose that incredibly stable and loyal market share's trust to gain a few people out there who are likely to jump between the manufacturers depending on who has the best specs anyway?

Long story short, pretty sure I will be camping out early come next Friday.

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post