Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-05-2023, 08:11 PM   #331
Rastas

Default Re: I see Chinese made MGs everywhere!

2023 Shanghai Motor Show (last month) is a real eye opener, looks to me they are prepping the world for a bigger car invasion than the Japanese did in the 70s , no wonder Musk see's them as the competition he needs to try keep up with.
Rastas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2023, 07:49 AM   #332
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

on tv last night in Qld.

ad for MG PHEV and Mg Zs ev.

$3000 cash off.

Does anyone know-are the Mg ev not selling or are they are trying to move even more sales?
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2023, 04:27 PM   #333
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
on tv last night in Qld.

ad for MG PHEV and Mg Zs ev.

$3000 cash off.

Does anyone know-are the Mg ev not selling or are they are trying to move even more sales?
End of financial year sale, they have them in stock & need to move them.
Old 24-05-2023, 06:12 PM   #334
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bloke in my townhouse complex knows a Syd used car sales person - apparently on 1 k commission to sell used electric cars as they are hard to sell

Hearsay of course on selection of 1
Old 25-05-2023, 07:59 PM   #335
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastas View Post
2023 Shanghai Motor Show (last month) is a real eye opener, looks to me they are prepping the world for a bigger car invasion than the Japanese did in the 70s , no wonder Musk see's them as the competition he needs to try keep up with.
They can release as many cars as they want, there’s still a bunch of people who won’t buy cars built in west Taiwan
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2023, 07:38 AM   #336
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
They can release as many cars as they want, there’s still a bunch of people who won’t buy cars built in west Taiwan
Unfortunately, there is a ‘bunch’ of people who buy them, they are going from strength to strength in this country.
Old 26-05-2023, 09:39 AM   #337
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
They can release as many cars as they want, there’s still a bunch of people who won’t buy cars built in Japan
Said a lot of Australians in the late 1960s.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 26-05-2023, 10:23 AM   #338
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Said a lot of Australians in the late 1960s.
Absolutely.Spot on.I remember that era very well, when the Japanese cars started arriving(early to mid sixties actually) people were saying I am not buying that Japanese garbage.Remember looking @ the first Datsun Cedric, packed full of stuff! Carpets, tinted glass & heaters!(which were optional on the big three @ the time.) & of course radios as standard! Even the little Datsun 1000 had a lot of those standard features.This was a massive wake up call for the big three.
Old 26-05-2023, 11:58 AM   #339
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's an interesting contrast, in the 1960's it was a refusal to buy from a country that was formerly militarily expansionist and had been defeated in such, today it's a country that is becoming militarily expansionist. The growth of their navy is absolutely massive, and it's blue water, too.

But overall, if it's cheap Australians will flock to it. Like the son getting bargains off the Trading Post in "The Castle".
Old 26-05-2023, 11:59 AM   #340
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
They've had a price rise, they're just under $20K DA these days.

When the Kia Rio is discontinued I reckon they'll be something like $27,990 DA as they have no competition.

For what you get they're still junk, I paid $18K DA for my povvo pack WS Fiesta in 2009 which is more powerful and had an extra gear, back then.

The whole segment has stagnated, its made no progress in 15 years.
I reckon so much is in stasis since about then. Probably all the resources going into EV.
Old 09-08-2023, 06:26 PM   #341
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've just been advised that my new company car has been ordered and will arrive shortly. Its an MG ZS Excite.

I'm concerned.

I travel approximately 40000 kliks a year between Burrill Lake in the south and Sydney in the north and every crappy rural rd in between.

My current Hyundai i30 has 285000 on the clock and aside from routine maintenance hasn't missed a beat. I'm betting the MG will be shagged within a year.

Anyone on here who owns one please share your experiences.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2023, 06:32 PM   #342
JAZSXY
Parts Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
I've just been advised that my new company car has been ordered and will arrive shortly. Its an MG ZS Excite.

I'm concerned.

I travel approximately 40000 kliks a year between Burrill Lake in the south and Sydney in the north and every crappy rural rd in between.

My current Hyundai i30 has 285000 on the clock and aside from routine maintenance hasn't missed a beat. I'm betting the MG will be shagged within a year.

Drove an MG SUV as a rental in Perth earlier this year. 30k on the clock. Already a hole in the carpet on drivers side, gearbox takes ages to engage reverse, ICC was a pain in the **** to use. And it picks up speed signs and vibrates steering wheel if you go over. Not my cup of tea.

frenzal56, falconxr, loosecannon, lima_been, bo5ton, Mardk, Chapter Four, leakey, POELWYK, Dman4.0, rayban76, tutor, PridenJoy, Aplito Futura, sbutler, Bosko, storta1, portokatsiki, AUte, 5.8, xxxg, FTW-302, LeadFoot81, Peuty, BillM, Sox, needfordspeed, watejs06, CATXR8
JAZSXY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2023, 06:38 PM   #343
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAZSXY View Post
Drove an MG SUV as a rental in Perth earlier this year. 30k on the clock. Already a hole in the carpet on drivers side, gearbox takes ages to engage reverse, ICC was a pain in the **** to use. And it picks up speed signs and vibrates steering wheel if you go over. Not my cup of tea.
Excellent, thanks, can't wait for it to arrive.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-08-2023, 08:27 PM   #344
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'm concerned.

Actually can you keep us up to date on how it goes?
Old 09-08-2023, 08:54 PM   #345
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Excellent, thanks, can't wait for it to arrive.
Would you say that you're "Excited".....................
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2023, 09:09 AM   #346
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Let me guess, that group is made up of a bunch of Karen's. In the beginning, they are boisterously proud of their purchase, happy to have got a brand-new car for the price of a used one. "Look how noiwse it is, it's got everything en stuff an dat".

Then the crappy quality control rears its head and suddenly they turn into bunch entitled moaners, wondering why their cut-price Chinese made pile of junk is broken.
Every week there is someone asking/complaining about acceleration lag so bad it has almost got them involved in accidents. All the converted say “nah that’s normal, that’s just how DCTs are”
According to owners acceleration delays of a couple of seconds or more is normal.
5 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2023, 10:49 AM   #347
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Every week there is someone asking/complaining about acceleration lag so bad it has almost got them involved in accidents. All the converted say “nah that’s normal, that’s just how DCTs are”
According to owners acceleration delays of a couple of seconds or more is normal.
I can vouch for the lag in acceleration.
I hired one a few months back for a week. Not out of choice (I was scheduled to hire a Skoda) but that is all they had at the time.

Probably one of the worst hire car vehicle experiences I have had. They are worse than I expected.

Turbo lag for days was the least of the problems. I could not wait to take it back.

Frankly a really poor quality vehicle all round. Getting back into my 2022 Mazda CX5 felt like luxury in comparison.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-08-2023, 11:24 AM   #348
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The mg zs excite has a 1.5 Vvti engine roughly same output as last Fiesta 82 kw 150 nm and has a cutting edge four speed torque converter auto

It’s not a HS which has a dct and turbo 1.5. Having had a hs as a rental I can vouch for the engine turbo and gearbox not being matched and lag from take off

However
The Zs won’t have those issues it will just be reasonably gutless
Old 15-08-2023, 11:44 PM   #349
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
I can vouch for the lag in acceleration.
I hired one a few months back for a week. Not out of choice (I was scheduled to hire a Skoda) but that is all they had at the time.

Probably one of the worst hire car vehicle experiences I have had. They are worse than I expected.

Turbo lag for days was the least of the problems. I could not wait to take it back.

Frankly a really poor quality vehicle all round. Getting back into my 2022 Mazda CX5 felt like luxury in comparison.
Funny you said that about the CX5. Someone on that page had a CX5 rental recently and was complaining how horrible it was compared to his MG HS. As someone who recently got a CX5 as my wife’s daily, I can say there’s no way a cx5 is worse than a HS. The cx5 is a great car.
6 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2023, 08:04 AM   #350
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Adelaide atm and before we left we hired a Puma, unfortunately when we arrived at Europcar to pick up our rental, they threw us the keys to a relatively new MG SUV..
Honestly one of the worst cars I’ve ever driven! Gutless is an understatement and rattles in a brand new car.. Cruise control is so confusing, a stick just below the indicator switch and you can’t see it. Honestly why can’t every car have a cruise setup like the BA-FGX Falcons! So simple..
Old 20-08-2023, 11:18 AM   #351
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I saw one of the MG EVs at highpoint shopping centre yesterday, a little bit ugly but gets the job done I guess (sounds like me)
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2023, 09:10 PM   #352
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I felt compelled to take this pic a while ago, because Jans ****house driving is nearly as bad as her taste in cars. Retardedness behind the wheel seems to be a standard feature of Chinese cars.

But what really irks me is the muffler that sticks out like dogs balls behind the fake outlets in the rear bumper. Takes cheap and nasty to a new level.

smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 20-08-2023, 11:42 PM   #353
Late braker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob 351 View Post
In Adelaide atm and before we left we hired a Puma, unfortunately when we arrived at Europcar to pick up our rental, they threw us the keys to a relatively new MG SUV..
Honestly one of the worst cars I’ve ever driven! Gutless is an understatement and rattles in a brand new car.. Cruise control is so confusing, a stick just below the indicator switch and you can’t see it. Honestly why can’t every car have a cruise setup like the BA-FGX Falcons! So simple..
That’s the thing- people criticise the formerly Australian built and designed cars but as an owner of both makes over the years and still a Ford owner now, they are designed and built for Australian conditions. They just are. They’re practical, strong and dependable
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2023, 11:45 PM   #354
Late braker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
I felt compelled to take this pic a while ago, because Jans ****house driving is nearly as bad as her taste in cars. Retardedness behind the wheel seems to be a standard feature of Chinese cars.

But what really irks me is the muffler that sticks out like dogs balls behind the fake outlets in the rear bumper. Takes cheap and nasty to a new level.

Oh I see what you mean. Yes, cheap, tacky and fake.
Late braker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 08:10 AM   #355
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

They seem the mainstay of car rental companies these days, perhaps they are easy to obtain, plentiful supply of the things.
Old 21-08-2023, 09:09 AM   #356
Rob 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still can’t get my head around the 4 spd auto. Heading out of Adelaide yesterday to Tallem Bend and going up the hills out of Adelaide, the thing just keeps jumping between 3rd and 4th! Eventually worked it out that you put it into sports shift and leave it in 3rd when going up a substantial hill as it’s the only way it can constantly stay on the 110 speed limit..
Honestly reminds of a JB Camira my wife owned before we got married many years ago and yes, that Camira was **** box also….
Old 21-08-2023, 12:40 PM   #357
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Late braker View Post
That’s the thing- people criticise the formerly Australian built and designed cars but as an owner of both makes over the years and still a Ford owner now, they are designed and built for Australian conditions. They just are. They’re practical, strong and dependable
I partly disagree. While they mostly were on point with suspension from long ago, Australian makes were cussedly slow to bring on board improvements from other markets.

Rack and pinion steering, radial tyres, cabin filters, galvanised body panels, aluminium structural elements (like bumper reo), modular frame faces, heated side mirrors, timed demisters are some examples.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 01:02 PM   #358
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

When did cabin filters become standard on all Falcons? FG?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2023, 01:10 PM   #359
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
When did cabin filters become standard on all Falcons? FG?
The BA was first to have a pollen/cabin filter as standard(I replaced a couple.).I know the Taurus had them as standard when released in 1996.As far as I can see looking @ my brochures on the AU, they never came with that feature.
Old 21-08-2023, 01:30 PM   #360
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Standard fitment cabin filter in a B-series was fine mesh. Europe had pleated media cabin filters in mainstream cars by the mid-nineties. A 6-8 year lag for no good reason.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post