Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-08-2006, 10:44 PM   #271
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

well its a good thing im not a devoted 'commodoreglican' then coz i would much rather a phoon to the ss - i aint crazy!
and i have heard many good sounding gen 3's - they may not be in the holden 5l class but i wouldnt call them crap either...as for the response to the rest of your post....well...i wont stoop to the badgering level of badges
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 10:54 PM   #272
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
well its a good thing im not a devoted 'commodoreglican' then coz i would much rather a phoon to the ss - i aint crazy!
and i have heard many good sounding gen 3's - they may not be in the holden 5l class but i wouldnt call them crap either...as for the response to the rest of your post....well...i wont stoop to the badgering level of badges
Sorry mate, but I agree with TE50 056.

Alot of Gen 3s I've heard, just sound wrong. With the expection of a couple.

The old 5 Litre, is one of the best sounding V8s, on the road. IMO

One day, I heard this Supercharged EFI 304 VP and the sound was incredible. (Even N/A ones, sound awesome)

Although Carby 5 Litres are just the sex, when it comes to noise. :
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #273
SSBUB
SSuper SSpy

i agree, like i said they arent the equal of the 5l but with a descent set-up i have heard some nice gen 3's. They are hard to get sounding old school tough, i believe the boss sounds much better than them too.
I guess i was just trying to show that the ls1 arent all vacuum wheezing piston slapping lumps of alloy.
SSBUB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 06:44 AM   #274
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
As for the whole power output thing i think someone over at HSV mayb a few for that matter have abit of an ego problem and have to have the power output of every HSV badged on the side so that everytime they get in and out,wash it or look at it they see the 260,280297 or whatever power it has to remind themselves how good they are becuase they are probably so shallow. But they well sell HSV's the hords will buy them so theres no worries there :jab:
Yes I'm not a fan of them branding power figures on cars myself it's wrong :

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUB
i agree, like i said they arent the equal of the 5l but with a descent set-up i have heard some nice gen 3's. They are hard to get sounding old school tough, i believe the boss sounds much better than them too.
I guess i was just trying to show that the ls1 arent all vacuum wheezing piston slapping lumps of alloy.
I think in the end many people in Car Mags started to wish the Ls1's were in BA's:P.
Old 23-08-2006, 10:06 AM   #275
HSE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden

I think in the end many people in Car Mags started to wish the Ls1's were in BA's:P.
That’s something I haven't read then. The LS1 was very similar to how the Boss performs and it was criticized in exactly the same way. (Funny that) Both need about 3000rpm to get interested. The BOSS has a smoother top end but pays a price for the construction weight during body transfer.

The LS1 suffers from heat soak to the extent that if the Mags do not get a good time after a couple of runs they rest the Holden with the bonnet up and try again later. Supposedly the Ford will pull the same time all day albeit slower then the best achieved from the LS1.

Where things have gone south a bit for the BOSS is the LS2 is much more like a traditional push rod engine. Pulls much harder lower in the rev range and has a more flexible range to work with and it continues its weight distribution advantage over the BOSS. It also has a bit better exhaust note then the LS1. If FPV offered the LS2 as an option in their product I wouldn't need to think twice. Technology is fine provided it delivers what is expected with out compromising the big picture.

The after market proves the BOSS has the potential to match the LS2 for drivability and there are better spring/shock combos that make a difference to the front end, but that’s not the point. The point is FPV seem disinterested in addressing these common drive observations with their V8 product.

They haven't come out and said it but it would appear they think the V8 customer is a big dumb ape who is prepared to accept what they are given and that their six cylinder clients are more concerning thinking evolutions of said ape. In other words given the number of years this organisation has promoted certain drivability characteristics, to ignore them now is basically contempt but a brilliant display of how any company will talk the talk of there strongest selling point of the day only to drop it at the first opportunity that it no longer fits. A lesson for fan boys not to be sucked in with corporate lines because they often aren’t telling you what is best, they are telling you what they have and would like you to think is the best.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #276
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

i cant bring myself to say im attracted by the styling, although i certainly dont think there unattractive.
Althought the styling (especially those rear lights) will be certain to be a love or hate affair, i would commend HSV for doing something different and trying to differentiate there's from the ss or ssv.

I looked through the new images on the hsv website and there was two things i took interest to:

1. would you have to have the red interior, or would that be optional?
2. i notice the steering wheel is identical (in shape) to the regular holden. i would of throught, especially in light of fpv, they would have an optional thicker, shaped steering wheel. I know there not everyones cup of chips, but why no option?
Old 23-08-2006, 11:08 AM   #277
HSE2

Don't the HSVs have a flat bottom rim like Audi do?
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
Old 23-08-2006, 11:20 AM   #278
Wezza
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcook
i cant bring myself to say im attracted by the styling, although i certainly dont think there unattractive.
Althought the styling (especially those rear lights) will be certain to be a love or hate affair, i would commend HSV for doing something different and trying to differentiate there's from the ss or ssv.

I looked through the new images on the hsv website and there was two things i took interest to:

1. would you have to have the red interior, or would that be optional?
2. i notice the steering wheel is identical (in shape) to the regular holden. i would of throught, especially in light of fpv, they would have an optional thicker, shaped steering wheel. I know there not everyones cup of chips, but why no option?
Just a couple of answers mate:
1. The red interior is a no cost option
2. The steering wheel has a flatter bottom than the Holden wheel.
Cheers.
Wezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 08:18 PM   #279
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:

OK so when i buy my BA XR8 or GT instead of looking under the side blinker or the boot ill open the bonnet to see how kool iam atleast its not plastered all over the car like commodores but as i said the will sell HSV will build them the people will buy them
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 08:35 PM   #280
Kachow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
This has been FPV's approach for some time, the GT-P is the luxury spec and the GT is the "sports" spec car, same power plant though.
HSV have probably realised that consumers are looking for package and refinement destinctions more than just power numbers to differentiate models.
Yep..definately agree
Kachow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 08:39 PM   #281
Kachow
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo
There is hardly any options, and i hate how you can see where the original tail light use to go. Have a look at the senator rear shot with bobtail and you can see that ugly panel that looks like and after thought.
http://www.hsv.com.au/index_eseries.asp than click on cars than senator to see rear shot of a silver one
definately understand what you're on about....
I use to hate the sport AU's with those silly round frog eyes, and you could see where the base lamp went....
Kachow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 08:45 PM   #282
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSE2
That’s something I haven't read then. The LS1 was very similar to how the Boss performs and it was criticized in exactly the same way. (Funny that) Both need about 3000rpm to get interested. The BOSS has a smoother top end but pays a price for the construction weight during body transfer.

The LS1 suffers from heat soak to the extent that if the Mags do not get a good time after a couple of runs they rest the Holden with the bonnet up and try again later. Supposedly the Ford will pull the same time all day albeit slower then the best achieved from the LS1.

Where things have gone south a bit for the BOSS is the LS2 is much more like a traditional push rod engine. Pulls much harder lower in the rev range and has a more flexible range to work with and it continues its weight distribution advantage over the BOSS. It also has a bit better exhaust note then the LS1. If FPV offered the LS2 as an option in their product I wouldn't need to think twice. Technology is fine provided it delivers what is expected with out compromising the big picture.

The after market proves the BOSS has the potential to match the LS2 for drivability and there are better spring/shock combos that make a difference to the front end, but that’s not the point. The point is FPV seem disinterested in addressing these common drive observations with their V8 product.

They haven't come out and said it but it would appear they think the V8 customer is a big dumb ape who is prepared to accept what they are given and that their six cylinder clients are more concerning thinking evolutions of said ape. In other words given the number of years this organisation has promoted certain drivability characteristics, to ignore them now is basically contempt but a brilliant display of how any company will talk the talk of there strongest selling point of the day only to drop it at the first opportunity that it no longer fits. A lesson for fan boys not to be sucked in with corporate lines because they often aren’t telling you what is best, they are telling you what they have and would like you to think is the best.
This was wheels or motor mag they tested both with Auto's. It might have been the SS-XR8?. But what they said was spot on they wanted the LS1 matted in the BF chassis with the ZF 6 speed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
OK so when i buy my BA XR8 or GT instead of looking under the side blinker or the boot ill open the bonnet to see how kool iam atleast its not plastered all over the car like commodores but as i said the will sell HSV will build them the people will buy them
Half the people out there see the a good example, People seen the 195i, Thought it was something like BMW a model.
You don't need to open the bonnet some come with it on the bonnet bulge now:P.
Old 23-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #283
XRDRIFT
More Power, Bigger turbo

Well, I've always had the saying' Buy a Holden if you want to get ripped off, Buy a ford coz their cheap"

And I stick to it, I will never pay 100k plus for a HSV Holden, I'd rather buy a current model XR6 Turbo and spend the 55k I saved, on the XR6 and guarrenteed, the XR6 will outclass the HSV in all aspects. And I have looked at the HSV website and priced out what I would have wanted, 115k not on road, *** that, same options with a new XR6t, 71k on the road. You do the math

In saying that, same goes if I purchased a BOSS. 100k will buy you a nice BMW or Mercedes with better ride and handling maybe not as much power but money is money and we dont all have shyt loads of it......Better yet, put that 100k on a house.
Old 23-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #284
HSE2

Quote:
This was wheels or motor mag they tested both with Auto's. It might have been the SS-XR8?. But what they said was spot on they wanted the LS1 matted in the BF chassis with the ZF 6 speed.
Are you sure they didn't say GEN 4.

I think I know what you are talking about but the engine wasn't Gen 3 or LS1.
Old 23-08-2006, 09:54 PM   #285
BadMac
I still have both eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRDRIFT
Well, I've always had the saying' Buy a Holden if you want to get ripped off, Buy a ford coz their cheap"

And I stick to it, I will never pay 100k plus for a HSV Holden, I'd rather buy a current model XR6 Turbo and spend the 55k I saved, on the XR6 and guarrenteed, the XR6 will outclass the HSV in all aspects.
Except resale :
You did leave yourself wide open.
BadMac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #286
Rapid Tornado

To me the new hsv's arent impressive.Dont get me wrong the interior is great and definetly something that had to be done allbeit the icc is bordering being out of a ford.
The styling of the front is way to overdone and those larger grills behind the front wheels look crap.
And in regard to the wheels wouldn't like to see the cost to replace the rear tyres let alone all four.
I suppose what it all comes down to is $500 million on the ba-bf and $1 billion on the ve (development costs) and from what i've seen and read on these cars that extra money holden has spent only puts it on par with ford in most aspects and a touch in front on others.
In the end its fords turn next to roll out the new model so its just a waiting game to see what they bring out.
Old 24-08-2006, 09:34 PM   #287
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HSV has gone RICE......

The new Senator is the best looking of the lot... .Shame i still wouldnt buy one.
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 09:38 PM   #288
8pAc
RDP #181

I though the senator was the ugliest of the lot, If i was given one it would be sold as fast as possible for anything else.
Camrys like most Toyotas have always been ugly, poorly equiped & brain crushingly dull but that's what a lot of people look for in a car unfortunately. I like my fridge, it keeps my beer cold other people like them so much they want to drive them it seems.
8pAc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2006, 08:31 PM   #289
helltd
Mad Professor

Personally, I like all falcons, and all commodores...except that.
Looks to me like: New Honda Euro, Late 90's Honda Civic, Mazda 6, RX8,
Concerning trend here...all jappas!
helltd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2006, 04:14 PM   #290
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The question remains, can the magnetic ride control create positive energy flow like Brockies polariser. :
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post