Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-07-2006, 10:50 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Weather Shields

Hey everyone,

I am looking at getting a weathershield for the AU3, but before I jump in and get one, I want to know how effective they are, and if they will do what I expect it to.

I like driving with my window down, but get alot of air blowing my much-detailed hair-do around.

1. Will a weathershield reduce the amount of wind being forced in your face when you window is down.
2. When it is raining, and you are driving, how much rain does the weathershield stop coming in? Alot? A little? SFA?
3. Is anyone selling one, or how much can I expect to pay for one new and/or second hand?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2006, 11:14 PM   #2
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

well i can hopefully answer all of your questions

I find the weathershield to be alright (genuine Ford one- Full size), it blocks some wind at low speed and really reduces that hammering sound you can get when a window is wound down. I do find it loses it effectiveness around 80/90kmh when it seems to push air down from the top in a downdraught (if that makes sense) and it generally becomes ****house. Its pretty much useless at high speed to be deadly honest

As for rain its OK, it works it light rain, but once it gets heavy it seems to collect of the bottom rim/edge of the shield (if that makes sense) and fling off and it generally becomes a big **** nusance as your door trim gets wet. Just make sure you use good stuff when you seal it on, or it will leak between the door and the shield, especially around the mirrors, etc

*Funnily enough every car ive ever owned has had a weathershield

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 01:16 AM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

I have the slimline "tinted" looking ones from Ford.

They're ok but rain will still get into your car if the window is all the way down, it's just not as bad as if you didn't have them at all. They make a bit of a difference.

As far as them protecting you from the wind, I can't remember sorry.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 04:57 AM   #4
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Yeap they do all that on the above but I found them a PITA - they kept starting to come undone off mine, so I took them off altogether.

I still have them at home in the garage if you want them (they're genuine full-sized ones). I don't know what they're worth mate, but name me a price if you are interested.
Old 28-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Full size is yuk ! but I had the genuine slimline on the XR8, never had an issue and you can have the window open enough for fresh air circulation what I wanted.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 03:28 PM   #6
whiskers
gone fishing

Default weather shields

I have slim line tinted ones from ford on mine, and I find them fantastic you can have the window down about 1/2 way or there abouts when its raining but not to hard, if it gets harder wind the window up, I originally bought after market ones and they cost something like $30 each.
I wouldn't be without them now and yet when I was younger I would never ever have them. :
whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2006, 11:19 PM   #7
HLC
Audi S3

i have a slimline Aunger (spelling?) one.

i had a full size ford one on my ED. only trouble was keeping the double sided tape sticking oh well.

and i wouldnt have a window down while its raining, shielded or not. water is still gonna get in.

um whatelse, if there is due/water on the outside of the shield, leave your window up, cause it'll just end up inside. mine was like 30 bucks or something. worth it? i dunno, ive always had them.
Old 29-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #8
miitch
orgasmic.

I have one I ripped off my car sitting in my cupboard, when i pulled it off the tape took a tiny bit of paint off. However, I don't know how well they work because I pulled out of the dealer, parked next door and ripped it off on teh side of the highway. :P

121.0rwkw
miitch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 11:04 AM   #9
sednwol

I tested this yesterday after I read your post. Up to 70km effective, 70-80 not as effective, 80+ no point having them.
sednwol is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I put them on my ute when I got it ... I have the full size ones.
I like driving with the window open ... and I find them very effective indeed .... in all weather conditions.

Definitely better with them than without them.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 02:14 PM   #11
foxtrot
Blood, sweat & tears

They are crap and they leave double sided tape all over your car when you do decide to rid of them, cleaning the double sided tape is a pain in the ***

both my AU's have had them
Momo Gear Knob
Schmick Pioneer Headunit w/ Dolphinvision :
4 Channel Kicker Amp to decent speakers;
Alpine Monoblock to Pioneer Subwoofer;
Tuned to perfect clarity-

Outside:

Pure Sexy Falcon w/18" BA XR8 Factory Option Mags
Clear Side Indicators

Coming soon:
Pedders lowered Sports Ryders all 'round
Extractors/Exhaust/Hi-Flo Cat
foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 06:45 PM   #12
Abacus
Life's a Gas

I wouldn't be without them.

To answer au3 chaser's questions:

"1. Will a weathershield reduce the amount of wind being forced in your face when you window is down."

Yes, absolutely. There is basically no turbulance.

"2. When it is raining, and you are driving, how much rain does the weathershield stop coming in? Alot? A little? SFA?"

I can drive in mild rain all day, window half way down, and not get wet. Perhaps a few drops on the sleeve or shoulder, nothing I would even think about.

I have never encountered any of the other problems mentioned above.

Mine are genuine Ford items, as far as I know. Pic below:

Last edited by Abacus; 06-10-2006 at 07:09 PM.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-10-2006, 07:06 PM   #13
Baboon_AU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

its one of the best things i have bought for the car.. got one on either side. had to get one for the misses and they block out all wind even up to 120km's and blocks out light rain but not heavy rain

1981 XD Fairmont 351 - 351 Cleveland, ARP bolts, flat top pistons, Stage 3 Dynotec cam, ported 2V heads with 4V valves, Roller Rockers, Weiand manifold, Mighty Demon, 1/2" fuel lines with blue Holley fuel pump, Crane hi-6 ignition, B&M megashifter, C4, hi-stall, shift kit, 3.77 Ford 9" LSD.

Thanks to: EvilChief and SJW Performance
Baboon_AU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon_AU
its one of the best things i have bought for the car.. got one on either side. had to get one for the misses and they block out all wind even up to 120km's and blocks out light rain but not heavy rain
Agree with this totally. I am/was a smoker, so am in the habit of driving around in all conditions with window down at least an inch. With no weathershield, you get wet. With one, you don't, even at highway speeds. On the XR I full have a fulsized one (like Abacus), but on the wagon I have the slimlines - one on each side. They are great - they may not lok the best, but they perform a function and they do it well - a bit like the roof of a car. A convertible usually looks better, but a roof does the job better.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2006, 03:17 PM   #15
browndog
back to the futura

Ive got the standard small shield on the au2 futura & find it pretty effective. As I mod the car though Im not sure whether to take if off or not (from a visual point of view)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo 17.jpg (84.2 KB, 79 views)
browndog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post