Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-07-2006, 03:30 AM   #31
schmidty
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
Told my dad last night on the phone i'm buying a v8, he said i must have money to burn, but he's never been a fan of 8 pots. The car i'm buying will be used for long trips up to Albury which i do frequently and a few jaunts around the suburbs, so it shouldn't use too much juice. Even if it does, who cares it sounds great huhuhuhuhuh
Like you say, long trips are pretty good in a V8 usually. Drove the inlaws Corvette to adelaide and it averaged 10.0L per 100ks. I wouldnt get that out of my manual XR6 ute! Stop start is what kills the fuel consumption.

I bet once you let your old man have a drive of your v8 and he hears the rumble he'll be jealous!
schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 03:34 AM   #32
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidty
Like you say, long trips are pretty good in a V8 usually. Drove the inlaws Corvette to adelaide and it averaged 10.0L per 100ks. I wouldnt get that out of my manual XR6 ute! Stop start is what kills the fuel consumption.

I bet once you let your old man have a drive of your v8 and he hears the rumble he'll be jealous!
heh quite possibly
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 08:28 AM   #33
302 Fairmont
Starter Motor

I travel between bathurst and orange everyday round trip of about 100kms, if i cruise it at the speed limit of 100kph, i get 10.5 litres that includes driving around in those towns aswell. She just burbles along at about 1750 revs. And thats a EF 5.0 Fairmont. Out of a 65ltr tank i get over 500kms. I think V8's get a bad name fuel consumption wise because its tempting to put your foot down, sure a 8 cyl engine at full noise will be more than a 6, but when a motor that has at least 400nm of torque is plodding along just off idle well it doesnt have to work. Here is to the ol windsor!! (gets better or at least comparative fuel consumption to the new BA's) : lol
302 Fairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 09:08 AM   #34
AUIIIXR8
Formerly AU2XLSV8

Yes, I get great milege from my xr8. better than my BA fairmont did anyway. As you'd expect if i peg it all the time she'll drink more because she makes a good 50-60kw more than my BA did. But normal driving she is excellant. I was very surprised.

Insurance on the Tickford 8 is always B/S i pay around $800 on mine (27) and on my old 347 stroked XLS i paid $800.

You could consider the NON tickford v8's as they are usually better but I love mine.

Past
EL 6 S/C - sold
AUII XLS V8 Stroker - sold
99' Laser (runabout) - sold
BA Fairmont - sold
AU III XR8 220 - sold (so should have kept this one)
AU III XLS Tickford 6 - sold

Formerly AU2XLSV8
AUIIIXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 10:10 AM   #35
nitroman
nitroman

Go for it! Buy a V8 and you'll be glad that you did. It is worth paying a few extra bucks in petrol to get the smile on your dial when you stand on the gas. Don't even ask nanny non V8 people their opinions because they are bound to be negative.
I recently got back into a V8 after 10 years of six cylinder driving and it's like I've just got out of a horsepower prison! I love it and you will too. Don't waste any more time and go buy an XR8 TODAY.
nitroman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 06:42 PM   #36
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

You guys are doing a fantastic job in convincing me to buy one! lol.
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 06:46 PM   #37
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNG-40L
i'm picking mine up on Friday mate, el ghia 4.9 - drove it today............... GOD it sounded great. go onnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn do itttttttttttttttttt
Old 29-07-2006, 07:36 PM   #38
Muscle_Inc
GT= The Gamble,The Legend

FANTZ - I knew you were going to be a bad influence on me since the first day i become registered here LOL.
Muscle_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-07-2006, 07:37 PM   #39
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
FANTZ - I knew you were going to be a bad influence on me since the first day i become registered here LOL.
haha bad, depending on who you ask..
Old 29-07-2006, 09:38 PM   #40
nitroman
nitroman

So what colour did you choose? Did you get an auto or a manual?
The drags are on soon and they are waiting for your entry!
Old 29-07-2006, 11:49 PM   #41
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroman
So what colour did you choose? Did you get an auto or a manual?
The drags are on soon and they are waiting for your entry!
haha it's not going to be much of a competition car, it's only a 4.9 EL Ghia, hardly a powerhouse, just got it as a weekend car really, just like the BF XR6 was, only the EL is a lot cheaper :P

maybe when i've done some work to it i'll take it down the strip, until then though it's just a stock cruiser.

oh and it's auto (being a ghia) and meteorite in colour.

(if your comments were directed to me that is!)
Old 30-07-2006, 01:33 AM   #42
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
I thought you took a serious power hit with LPG???
It depends on the setup. Mine (when it works properly - but that's a different story) got 136rwkw on LPG, and 142 rwkw on petrol. This is a mixer ring setup. Before the conversion, I had 147rwkw (lost 5 rwkw either due to different dynoes, or maybe because the mixer ring brings the 70mm odd intake down to 55mm).

SVI will yield MORE power than petrol, but it also costs around $1000 to $1400 more than a mixer ring setup.

As lots of people have said, running a 5.0 V8 is only marginally more expensive on fuel than a 4.0 6 cyl - my deicsion to go gas was based on the fact that I have one of each, so whichever I took to work would cost around $90 per week. So one of them needed to be the "get to work cheaply" car, and as the wagon is more practical for the missus to cart around the 3 kids, the V8 got the conversion.

Go the 8 - you won't be disappointed. There is a 5.4 BA Fairmont in the For Sales for $16900, and plenty of AU1 to 3 V8 Fairmonts & Ghias for around $15 (you should get one cheaper than that though). Insurance costs wil be a factor though, so you may want to wait til you're 25 - I did!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 12:04 AM   #43
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
SVI will yield MORE power than petrol, but it also costs around $1000 to $1400 more than a mixer ring setup.
Is a mixer ring setup the conventional carby-type system?

What's SVI? Would you know of a link to a supplier?

Also, I thought the lower cost of LPG was partially offset by higher fuel consumption. Have you found this to be the case?
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 12:12 AM   #44
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abacus
Is a mixer ring setup the conventional carby-type system?

What's SVI? Would you know of a link to a supplier?

Also, I thought the lower cost of LPG was partially offset by higher fuel consumption. Have you found this to be the case?
Essentially the mixer ring is the Throttle Body version of the old carby setup.

SVI is Sequential Vapour injection - your local LPG installer should know about it. Ring around a few places though, as prices vary from $3500 to $6k (that's for an I6 - V8 would be at least $500 extra).

In a mixer ring setup, the fuel consumption is a bit higher. I used to get 380 to 420km on petrol per 60 litres. I get 330 to 360 on gas, again for 60 litres. But I only dropped 6 rwkw, and gas is 58.9 against a petrol price of 140.9. Aapart from blowing up air boxes, the gas works great! SVI is not prone to backfires, so you should not have to worry about blowing up air boxes.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 01:01 AM   #45
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
MMM.. nice you no you want one ... :eclipsee_
just happen to know ware there"s a one owner 50000k auto in silver series 3 complete with factory race body kit premo sound.
looking for a new home for a very negotiable 17 k :Reverend: :Reverend:
Cheers whoosha ..

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #46
nitroman
nitroman

There you go king4.0, buy that and youll be king5.0!!