Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-06-2006, 02:00 PM   #31
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
The AU V8 is sooo simple (and cheap) to turn into a low 14 second beast.

If you are after good performance from the factory, cheap power upgrades, and almost limitless power potential then get the V8. You wont be sorry.

NOTE: I've been known to be a little one-eyed on this topic...but the AU Windsor really is an awesome little motor

Yep what he said if you want a bit more try steel cap boots ... :hihi:

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #32
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
oh, i knew it would be quicker as my car is still just a half decent looking taxi
That's way underselling your car Evan. Fairmont or Ghia in sparkling burgandy. Awesome! BTW Evan, the spring project may be on this Sunday! Interested?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2006, 08:51 PM   #33
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

GK - your PM inbox is full. You need to clear some messages out.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 01:49 AM   #34
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Fore sure. If insurance and fuel prices don't scare you, then go the 8.
gday until a week ago I had a BA ghia 6 and a mini. sold the mini and spent about half the loot on an ex-cop AU2 V8 with pacemakers and a 3" system and k&n and stuff. I've only done 1 full tank of fuel so far, and it did 507km on 59L (11.7L/100km) which i felt was pretty decent for a V8, although I've read posts from other people who might claim thats about right if you treat them gently enough. The V8 is cheaper to run than my BA, and insurance is about the same. I used to think the insurance/fuel thing would make an 8 too expensive but seems its not necessarily so... should've bought one years ago

Geoff
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 AM   #35
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Cooper69s - it's not meteorite is it? And you're not in or near ACT are you? Sounds like my old car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 01-07-2006, 03:27 AM   #36
MAFIA
Grange killer!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
oh, i knew it would be quicker as my car is still just a half decent looking taxi, i just thought it would be by more than that. but i did not take the extra weight of the IRS into acount, that explains it.
Like what he said Get the V8. they are brilliant on fuel and performance is cheap.

INSURED BY MAFIA. YOU HIT US, WE KILL YOU!

FORD FTE AU T-SERIES CLUB OF AUSTRALIA
www.tseriesclub.org
MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 03:31 AM   #37
Stevo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Cooper69s - it's not meteorite is it? And you're not in or near ACT are you? Sounds like my old car.
How on earth did you come up with that lol ?
Old 01-07-2006, 11:12 AM   #38
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

The mods match what I had, and there were not too many AU2 V8 fortes made. For the price the options (V8, sports suspension etc) cost, it was almost as much as an XR8.

Old 01-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #39
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
GK - your PM inbox is full. You need to clear some messages out.
Message box Cleared!

Also, I wish I had bought an 8 now. I put the 6 on gas anyway, so I intended to do the same with an 8 if I got one. I bought an SR, which is a great car, but if I had the time again, I would have gone a Ghia V8.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 12:05 PM   #40
xr8ute
Back on the road

A stock looking, fully optioned AU Fairmont Ghia V8 with a 2.2L Kenne Belle Blowzilla/Flowzilla setup would be my dream car. Absolute sleeper

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #41
Cooper69S

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
no its organza pics here and I'm in WA... its a good car though - sounds great. never expected a v8 to be so cheap on fuel, and anyway its going on injected lpg next month so should be ultra cheap then... i reckon the only real reason for anyone to go a 6 over an 8 would be if you're young since insurance companies tend to be a bit paranoid when it comes to v8's and young people.
I saw an AU1 v8 Ghia for sale over here for $8999 the other day - that could be a good deal for someone...
Cooper69S is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 08:36 AM   #42
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If I could get the same easy, reliable grunt out of an AU V8 as my 235kw GenIII I'd probably be happy to trade in my SV8 ..

But (just to take this further off topic), now that I've actually been looking at Windsor V8 prices, etc, I can't actually seem them being any cheaper than GenIII stuff. People say you can get a "used" 250kw Pursuit engine for $7K .. I can get a "new" GenIII and auto for $7K .. and it's only an exhaust/chip from about 260kw.

I love the old Windsor, but it doesn't seem the "cheap" alternative I remember from the old XR-XY days ..

Rod.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 03:43 PM   #43
Abacus
Life's a Gas

The difference between the V8 and VCT Ghias isn't so much what they do, but how they do it.

As noted above, 400m and 0-100 times are similar, probably in the VCT's favour. However, the V8 has more grunt down low, the VCT is peakier.

In everyday driving, particularly through city traffic where you want to pop away from the lights or change lanes through gaps in the traffic with a minimum of revs and fuss, I prefer the V8 to the 6. The 6 will do this stuff just as well, but you have to keep it on the boil. And I find keeping an auto on the boil in city traffic is a pain in the neck.

The V8 is comparatively effortless.

Be warned, the V8 likes a drink. I average 17.5 to 20.5L/100km in Sydney driving, down to 10.5L/100km on country trips. I understand the VCTs are about 10% better, but I am happy to be corrected.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #44
kc_ksom
Starter Motor

I have a cheap VCT XR 6 for sale guys, only saying this here as Im only offering to who ever comes up with a better then 10500. price.. Trading on MONDAY....check the for sale section..

Casey
kc_ksom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post