Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 05-06-2006, 03:45 PM   #1
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Question why does my car stop?

hello peoples

ive got a 2000 auII xl ute (manual) and today it stopped twice, once on the way to work and then again on the way home. both times when i was braking to a stop so doing around 30km/h and it just stops? And it runs fine again when restarted. It happend once last year going around a corner and i nearly cleaned up a few cars cause i lost power steering but it hadn't happend again untill today. sorry didn't do a search of threads cause i wouldnt have a clue where to start. Any help or opinions would be great

cheers

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:00 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
why does my car stop?
May be something to do with your foot on the brake pedal? ROFL. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Check your PS fluid - if it's low it could be sending faulty signals back to the ECU (though I think PS signals back to the ECU only kick in at full lock). Also check that your base idle is set correctly. Other than that, get it plugged into a ScanTool and get the errors codes - that will tell you of any specific system failure(s).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 04:10 PM   #3
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Loose or corroded battery connection. Used to do it to my vl years ago.
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:13 PM   #4
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU-MUSTD
Loose or corroded battery connection. Used to do it to my vl years ago.
Yeah. There was a thread like this a while ago. I think it turned out to be a bat issue.

See if you can borrow a good condition bat for a few days and see if it still happens. If it does, do a full electric service - bat, plugs leads. Spend the extra money and get a gel bat, good quality leads, and NGK plugs!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2006, 05:21 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

the spring in the ISC might be binding.. take it off clean it with some carby clean and reset the base idle

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:50 AM   #6
james22
With da Warlords

And how the hell do you reset the base idle? My car still wont run in the mornings
lol :-)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 04:20 PM   #7
kenz
BOSS Pilot

thanks for the response
was still doing it last night a bit, the battery and leads and what not are all in good condition. had a look at the power steering fluid this morning and it was a bit low although i checked it not even 2 weeks ago and still full and has been for a good 4 months but yea was a little low so topped that up and all has been good since

JC did not know the middle pedal was a stopping device thanks that might come in handy one day :eclipsee_

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 06-06-2006, 04:54 PM   #8
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Quote:

JC did not know the middle pedal was a stopping device thanks that might come in handy one day :eclipsee_
Neither did I, until a cop charged me $1500 to find out...

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 06-06-2006, 06:36 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Check your PS fluid - if it's low it could be sending faulty signals back to the ECU
JC does it yet again!!

Quote:

JC did not know the middle pedal was a stopping device thanks that might come in handy one day

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
Neither did I, until a cop charged me $1500 to find out...
Ok, ok you've gotta explain this one! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2006, 06:44 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Just a speeding fine....

Old 06-06-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Just a speeding fine....
Oh that all! I was waiting for an epic story! LOL!

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:51 PM   #12
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Exclamation

ok i think that solved the problem but now i have a similar one. yesterday and today i was driving around a corner and pretty much lost all power but the car was still running then it just died and stopped. starts again straight away and runs fine. checked the fluids and oil the morning before it did this the first time and they were all good. it doesnt just clonk out straight away like last time it just loses all power for about 5 secs then it dies?

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 03-07-2006, 01:11 PM   #13
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
May be something to do with your foot on the brake pedal? ROFL. Sorry, couldn't resist.
Dammit, just saw this thread and was going to post EXACTLY the same thing.. it was just begging for it.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 01:44 PM   #14
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Exclamation

Quote:
ok i think that solved the problem but now i have a similar one. yesterday and today i was driving around a corner and pretty much lost all power but the car was still running then it just died and stopped. starts again straight away and runs fine. checked the fluids and oil the morning before it did this the first time and they were all good. it doesnt just clonk out straight away like last time it just loses all power for about 5 secs then it dies?
Had a similar experience in my ute (see sig) the other night when I was WOT out of a left hand corner, 2/3rd's around out I lost all go and hit my head on the steering wheel I let the throttle off and then opened it again and it opened up fine again. Had 3/4 tank off fuel so I'm not sure what the story was. Only thing I can come up with is that my fuel pump could be on its way out perhaps???
I have two spares thanks to rough mechanics here at work breaking the clipon fuel line connectors at least.
Tim
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 01:49 PM   #15
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU:PROJECT:UTE
Had 3/4 tank off fuel so I'm not sure what the story was. Only thing I can come up with is that my fuel pump could be on its way out perhaps???
Tim
my ute is a factory gas model. not to sure what the deal is with the connections and stuff for that though

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Old 03-07-2006, 01:54 PM   #16
AU:PROJECT:UTE
Drought Breaker

Well that knocks a dying fuel pump idea on the head for you then.
Maybe one of the more LPG knowledgeable members here will be able to direct you.
Good luck with fixing it mate
Tim
ALL COUNTRY: SW Platt Mccann 5 Poster, GME 4706 7' Whippys, Uniden UH015SX UHF AND Scanner combo, Narva Taurus Bull lights, Hawk Grille, Series II Pursuit Side Skirts, Stickers on the back window and more eartags than a mob of cranky angus

ALL GO: XR6 VCT donk and ECU NO MORE!!
Now even MORE fun with 200kw XR8 and 5 speed, Tickford Cluster, 3.45 LSD, full custom twin system w/- 3" chrome angle cut tips :
AU:PROJECT:UTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 04:02 PM   #17
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a speeding fine....
one-and-a-half-grand speeding fine!! how fast were you going, 300km/h!!!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 05:17 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
one-and-a-half-grand speeding fine!! how fast were you going, 300km/h!!!
Must have been more than 45km over. (NSW fine = $1442)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post