Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-05-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Default Ethanol you can drink - but not straight

Taken from Wikipedia

Everclear is a brand of grain alcohol (ethanol), available at concentrations of 95% alcohol (190 proof ) and 75.5% (151 proof). Everclear is manufactured by Luxco (formerly David Sherman Corporation).

It is illegal to purchase the 190 proof version in many U.S. states such as Pennsylvania, Washington, California, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, Virginia and West Virginia (as of November 2005). By contrast, hard liquors such as rum and vodka generally contain 40% alcohol (80 proof). Due to Everclear's lack of sugar and impurities (congeners), it may make drinkers less vulnerable to hangovers. However, the lack of a strong flavor tends to promote overconsumption. Everclear is usually mixed into an alcoholic beverage, and is highly flammable.

Mixing Everclear
Due to its intensity, Everclear is commonly added to a variety of soft drinks, such as pop, juice, Gatorade or iced tea. Everclear is sometimes drunk at college parties mixed with fruit juice or Kool-Aid and mixed fruit in a large tub and called variously Hunch Punch, Hairy Buffalo, Purple Jesus or jungle juice. The fruit in this drink absorbs lots of the alcohol, as in sangria. Everclear is sometimes consumed alone by eating similarly saturated fruit. Like vodka, it can be used in making jello shots (yet due to the potency of the drink, a larger ratio of water is recommended). Another drink of choice is mixing Mountain Dew Code Red with Everclear.

Recommended Usage
Do not do shots of Everclear. Mix it into other, non-alcoholic beverages.

Old 22-05-2006, 12:37 AM   #2
FGX-351
Supercharged Mang-mobile

and where can i get this ever clear from
09/00 VX HSV XU6 Build #0001 of 0171
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....09#post5571209
-- Best E/T: |14.982 @92.12mph | R/T:0.013 | 60' 2.213| 330: 6.283 | 1/8: 9.624 @ 73.17mph | 1000: 12.529 | 25Deg, N/A Hum, 1010mb | Willowbank Raceway 7/12/16

Tickford EL Falcon XR6 RIP
-- Factory Manual
-- Best E/T: |14.991 @ 92.71mph | R/T: 0.607 | 60': 2.215 | 660': 9.665 |13Deg, 86%H, 1024mb, 184RA @ Willowbank Raceway
FGX-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 08:37 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

Yes i would like to buy a barrel please.

What I don't drink, the LTD can use as fuel!!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Jet-Star

Metho is 95% Ethanol.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 06:48 PM   #5
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse06
Metho is 95% Ethanol.
I think you mean Methanol (very bad to drink), usually 950ml/L. The remaining 50ml must legally contain a chemical to induce vomiting.

You can go to any homebrew shop and buy a still. But of course you would only use it for the production of distilled water ;) (5L stills are legal to own in Aust), as it is illegal to distill you home brewed alcobase in Australia. Unless you live in New Zealand, where it is legal to distill alcohol at home. :
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #6
FordFan86
meow

I think there's an indigenous group that drink this sort of stuff straight... sometimes milk is added..
FordFan86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
CobraLeMans
Horsepower Addict

We have a bottle of grain alcohol called Clear Springs and like Everclear its rated at 190 proof, lethal stuff.
It only gets opened when you have some bludger over trying to drink your bar dry. The only way to stop him in his tracks is to add a shot of Clear into his JD & Coke and before he knows it he's on his ear.
CobraLeMans is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-05-2006, 10:16 PM   #8
XRated
Shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraLeMans
We have a bottle of grain alcohol called Clear Springs and like Everclear its rated at 190 proof, lethal stuff.
It only gets opened when you have some bludger over trying to drink your bar dry. The only way to stop him in his tracks is to add a shot of Clear into his JD & Coke and before he knows it he's on his ear.
Bwahahahahaha evil but I love it! I hate those stooges.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 12:43 AM   #9
nothin' so gr8
Please Mum, I want a Ford

I once witnessed the morning after effects of a teenage (19ish) girl eating a rat's foetus that had been preserved in ethanol. I've never seen anything so frightening, or disturbing,since. She lived, but was violently ill for days.
nothin' so gr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 01:09 PM   #10
351ciofgrunt
Go Hard or Go Home

i make homebrew rum...starts of with sugar yeast and water and then distill it, so would that be ethanol as well?
351ciofgrunt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #11
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351ciofgrunt
i make homebrew rum...starts of with sugar yeast and water and then distill it, so would that be ethanol as well?

Jeeezuz mate, don't say that on a public forum, or you might get a visit from the federal police.

I think what you meant to say was that, like me, you do own a still, but it is purely for the production of essential oils, and purified water :

BUT, if you were to take a trip to New Zealand with your still (where you happened to make some rum), then depending on your type of condenser (reflux, pot, etc etc), you would get approx. 65-90% ethanol.

The distillation of drinkable alcohol (ethanol) in Australia IS a federal offence. Although it is COMPLETELY SAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 12:07 AM   #12
F6 Turbo

I won't drink anything that my car could gain a performance advantage from :P
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post