Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 30-06-2024, 06:11 PM   #9
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Question for Office Types

It would depend on the business and how strict/bitchy they are. Some have zero tolerance... Some recognise mistakes happen.

Last year I accidentally invoiced a customer $4400 for an event and it should have been $14,800. Still have no earthly idea how I did that given the checks I make when constructing invoices.

It was actually the CEO who caught it. Asked me a random unrelated question regarding the event and when he saw the invoice he said "nah, more than that". I looked it up and I was definitely wrong.

So I corrected it, advised the customer I made a boo boo and resent it. Told the CEO and apologised as I know a mini storm was brewing. He just laughed and said "shit happens. But it won't be long before they are over here for a chat". And he was right, they were there in 45 mins.

Not that there was much to complain about, this was a invoice to feed and booze up some 240 people. They knew $4400 was wrong and tried to hide it. Not that they could, it would have been picked up regardless.

My boss is a bit of stickler for customer focused professionalism, so when I told him I got a "be careful, don't do again. We shouldn't look like jackasses in front of our customers" chat. And we all moved on.

One of my tasks is to monitor and compile the accounting on the food and drinks park of the venue I work at. We run a monthly cash variance of between $250 to $800 a month. Basically people press wrong buttons on the till or cant count. But rather remarkable given this is across somewhere between $1m and $1.2m in a month.

Most often its because someone presents a free drink voucher and the bar staff will hit say $5 cash instead of $5 voucher to tender it, thus the cash count is out. If I see one every now and then, I say nothing, stuff happens, they are busy. If I see the same person do it a few times across a shift or couple of days I'll let their manager know and just say "remind X to slow down and press the right buttons".

I presented 3 errors of this type to a manager one day and he remarked he was stunned "no one cared about this sort of thing here. In previous venues he'd worked at, each one of those errors would be a written warning".

So it all comes down to the culture and understanding in the business, which is obviously variable.

Problem might arise if there is a Karen in that list of emails and they believed there was an expectation of privacy. Then its a whole different ball game.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post