Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-06-2023, 12:37 PM   #1
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Australia housing bubble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Well we are potentially in the market in the next 6-12 months so I may just hold out renting for a bit longer to see how things fall out around the end of the year. Maybe even wait to the end of next year at worst.

@Zilo you are correct, most of the new builds are rubbish in my opinion so we would most likely opt for something from the 80's/90's.

For us the entry level is 700-750 and I just dont see the quality at all.
In that price range there is not that much around, they are pretty well entry level homes. Not only that the market is on the rise again.
Old 28-06-2023, 12:41 PM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
In that price range there is not that much around, they are pretty well entry level homes. Not only that the market is on the rise again.
I guess that would depend on where you are looking. But agree most new builds are shockers.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2023, 12:45 PM   #3
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
I guess that would depend on where you are looking.
Every state is on the rise, there is just no way of avoiding it, all the major capitals are experiencing it. I have to disagree on new builds, we bought last year, cannot fault the home, very well built, quality inclusions.7.2 star energy rating.
Old 28-06-2023, 01:00 PM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Every state is on the rise, there is just no way of avoiding it, all the major capitals are experiencing it. I have to disagree on new builds, we bought last year, cannot fault the home, very well built, quality inclusions.7.2 star energy rating.
Yeah Ok, as long as you're happy with it.
I tend to look beyond the pretty finishes, and look at timber frame quality, slab construction and ground work but that's just me being in the construction industry.

Funny how when you mention "depends on where it is" and everyone assumes you are talking about cities. Not everyone wants to live in the cities.

2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2023, 01:22 PM   #5
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah Ok, as long as you're happy with it.
I tend to look beyond the pretty finishes, and look at timber frame quality, slab construction and ground work but that's just me being in the construction industry.

Funny how when you mention "depends on where it is" and everyone assumes you are talking about cities. Not everyone wants to live in the cities.
Obviously the further you go out, it tends to be cheaper. But, more often than not if that own is say only an hour or less away(commuter belt) prices tend to follow that city upwards, not all the time mind you.We experienced that when we moved ,nearly doubled our price in 7 years. I can fully understand you looking @ ‘quality’ of a build.But the majority of homes we looked at were of pretty high quality.The worse home we owned wax’s on acreage quite a few years back.’Beechwood’ home.Finishes we’re very, very average.Painting was truly awful.But other than that quite a solid home.It has just been sold in the last month or so for 1.35 mill.(we only paid $520,000 for it)A lot of work has been done to it,changing layout etc…Very, very good job by them.

Last edited by hackney; 28-06-2023 at 01:28 PM.
hackney is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 02:10 PM   #6
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Obviously the further you go out, it tends to be cheaper. But, more often than not if that own is say only an hour or less away(commuter belt) prices tend to follow that city upwards, not all the time mind you.We experienced that when we moved ,nearly doubled our price in 7 years. I can fully understand you looking @ ‘quality’ of a build.But the majority of homes we looked at were of pretty high quality.The worse home we owned wax’s on acreage quite a few years back.’Beechwood’ home.Finishes we’re very, very average.Painting was truly awful.But other than that quite a solid home.It has just been sold in the last month or so for 1.35 mill.(we only paid $520,000 for it)A lot of work has been done to it,changing layout etc…Very, very good job by them.
2.5hrs to the nearest major city is fine by me.
Just far enough to keep the ever demanding commuters out.

Low prices = low rates and a lower cost of living.

I reckon if I still lived in $ydney I would be earning upwards of 1/2 million bucks a year but would need double that to live my lifestyle, while being stuck working 7 days a week. All to buy an overpriced roach invested/termite ridden dump in the burbs.

It's like the old saying, how to make a successful million $ a year business, start with 2 million.

Old 28-06-2023, 03:03 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
2.5hrs to the nearest major city is fine by me.
Just far enough to keep the ever demanding commuters out.

Low prices = low rates and a lower cost of living.

I reckon if I still lived in $ydney I would be earning upwards of 1/2 million bucks a year but would need double that to live my lifestyle, while being stuck working 7 days a week. All to buy an overpriced roach invested/termite ridden dump in the burbs.

It's like the old saying, how to make a successful million $ a year business, start with 2 million.
The other thing you have to consider is a persons proffesion. Say for example a person is a high rise window washer. There will not be the same amount of work in a country town then in a city. Opposite for say a person who works on septic tanks. Less of those in a city. So to a degree you have to live where the work is. I was never adverse to driving an hour + to work and 2 hours or so home (arvo traffic). The people who thought i was crazy for having to sorta commute everyday were also the ones who complained about rent for their 2 bedroom units. I did it for the pay, that pay in turn went towards the mortgage on my house.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #8
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
RE: qaulity, I mean I want a house where there is some audible privacy when you are on the toilet or even talking in one bedroom and you cant hear it form the adjacent room.

Currently renting a 4 bedroom house, ~3-4 years old and the walls are paper thin its a joke. Normal cookie cutter style modern house.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2023, 04:30 PM   #9
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
RE: qaulity, I mean I want a house where there is some audible privacy when you are on the toilet or even talking in one bedroom and you cant hear it form the adjacent room.

Currently renting a 4 bedroom house, ~3-4 years old and the walls are paper thin its a joke. Normal cookie cutter style modern house.
We don’t have that issue, 4/3/2.Two masters(his & hers) very quiet house.Really stoked with it.No kids as well!