Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #1
Futura01
horsepower

Default Falcon AU FLASH TUNE

Heys guys,
Just want a few views on the choice of going for either a chiptorque chip or a full capa flash tune for my auII.
I have just installed a crow stage 3 cam that needs a chip to run well .
Crow has recommended chiptorque as they have off the shelf chip for the cam at around $800 installed.
Though i have enquired with autotech and they said they can do the same job with the flash units for around $1200 - 1300???
I dont know which will be better can anybody help me out with my descision $500 is alot more to spend on a flash unit if it doesnt do much more then the chiptorque ???
Please guys anybodys experince's will be greatly appreciated ????
Pros v.s Cons answer's would be most helpfull

Thanks... :

Futura01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:54 AM   #2
loxxr6
XB in parts...

The Flash Tuner gives you more tuning options than the Chiptorque chip. Go the Flash Tuner.

Why add piggyback a chip on (chiptorque) when you can use the Flash tuner to directlty control the Ford computer.

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
G&D PERFORMANCE
G&D Performance Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futura01
Heys guys,
Just want a few views on the choice of going for either a chiptorque chip or a full capa flash tune for my auII.
I have just installed a crow stage 3 cam that needs a chip to run well .
Crow has recommended chiptorque as they have off the shelf chip for the cam at around $800 installed.
Though i have enquired with autotech and they said they can do the same job with the flash units for around $1200 - 1300???
I dont know which will be better can anybody help me out with my descision $500 is alot more to spend on a flash unit if it doesnt do much more then the chiptorque ???
Please guys anybodys experince's will be greatly appreciated ????
Pros v.s Cons answer's would be most helpfull

Thanks... :
A custom Flash tune is the only way to go.You can't compare an off the shelf chip with a full custom tune optimiosed to suit your unique combo.The extra money spent will be the best investment you ever make.

Glenn
G&D PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 10:04 AM   #4
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Pros
Better hold of tune
More consistent power delivery.
Spiro at autotech is the best tuner in the business.

You get 3 tunes with the flasher.

Stage 3 crow cam...nice choice!!That has 525 lift?
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 10:21 AM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

I'm in the rare position of haveing had both (and a unichip).

Lets just say that if the Unichip and chiptorque at the XF Falcon of the tuning world.. the edit is the Saleen S7 supercar.

Not even in the same league, the edit is generations ahead and will be better in EVERY way. Its a magic bullet.

Oh and Useless, I'll argue that I've got the best tuner at G&D... but I'll argue it with ET's over words :

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #6
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
I'm in the rare position of haveing had both (and a unichip).

Lets just say that if the Unichip and chiptorque at the XF Falcon of the tuning world.. the edit is the Saleen S7 supercar.

Not even in the same league, the edit is generations ahead and will be better in EVERY way. Its a magic bullet.

Oh and Useless, I'll argue that I've got the best tuner at G&D... but I'll argue it with ET's over words :
Sorry mate in Sydney. Ive tried many so I can say this.Dont know if well see more ets from the wagon.I just enjoy driving the thing too much as it is.Also I dont want to run it until I believe it deserve a run.When its ready me and the stingray will go again.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 10:56 AM   #7
buickman
buickman

[QUOTE=Casper

Oh and Useless, I'll argue that I've got the best tuner at G&D... but I'll argue it with ET's over words :[/QUOTE]

I think G&D did the mods & tuned the black holden gen111 V8 ute at the last Hallam dyno day that pulled nearly 350rwkw on a N/A mtr.
By reading different post about G&D its certainly sounds as if they know how to tune a car to get its best potential for what the cutomer wants & can afford.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:05 AM   #8
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Every one is right the flash is the best but honestly for fixing the A/F ratio and ign timing to suit the cam the Unichip will do the same job. If you want speed limiter removed and auto lock up and change up speeds changed and anything else done the edit is better much more control.

My advice as I am a cheap bastard is to PM Krissy for a deal on a S/H Unichip and get Spiro to fit and tune it for you at Autotech.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:06 AM   #9
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ill throw a spanner in the works here and say take a look at a unichip. You will get similar results and they can be found second hand from $200 and fitted and tuned for 500-600. Spiro really knows Unichip and how to tune them. You wont be dissapointed. I wasnt.

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #10
buickman
buickman

[QUOTE=jonbays]Every one is right the flash is the best but honestly for fixing the A/F ratio and ign timing to suit the cam the Unichip will do the same job. If you want speed limiter removed and auto lock up and change up speeds changed and anything else done the edit is better much more control.

Quote:
I am a cheap bastard
QUOTE]

Well if your got family & house commitments you have to watch were the money's being spent
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 01:12 PM   #11
Futura01
horsepower

Really guys you have been very helpfull , appreciate your honest comments and help in this matter...
well after the fair comments jonbays made i think maybe the unichip might be the direction to head since i do have family commitments and i dont like sleeping on the lounge too much lol
Does anybody no of anyone who sells unchip???
Old 25-04-2006, 01:16 PM   #12
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Really guys you have been very helpfull , appreciate your honest comments and help in this matter...
well after the fair comments jonbays made i think maybe the unichip might be the direction to head since i do have family commitments and i dont like sleeping on the lounge too much lol
Does anybody no of anyone who sells unchip???
Theres one for sale right now in the "parts" section for $350. Came out of an AU I6 the other day (replaced with edit).

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=46008

Old 25-04-2006, 01:36 PM   #13
Futura01
horsepower

Thanks Casper,
Just p.m him ...
And so this will be totally fine to get retunned for the cam in my auII falcon by autotech...

Regards,
Old 25-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Thanks Casper,
Just p.m him ...
And so this will be totally fine to get retunned for the cam in my auII falcon by autotech...

Regards,
yep, will fit an AU no probs.. and its a "her" (Krissy) thats selling it :

Old 25-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #15
Futura01
horsepower

lol ... shows you i am new to this stuff
:
Old 25-04-2006, 01:57 PM   #16
TCK-098

I looked closely at the mods that Casper did to his car and i thought after the testing done with both the Chiptorque item and the unichip i purchased the chiptorque HP2 off the shelf to suit 4.0 VCT with exhaust and intake changes.

I was Quoted to have a increase of 5-8kw but instead the VCT went from a healthy 133-137.4rwkw to a dismal 125.6rwkw after the install of the HP2 and i began to wonder WTF happened so car went back to So called expierianced tuner :hihi: and car was back to 135.6rwkw.

My view is now the edit craps over the these so called SHIFT FIRMERS NOT POWER INCREASERS sorry to hijack thread but the question was asked about chips and i though my view would tell it like it is.
Old 25-04-2006, 02:25 PM   #17
Futura01
horsepower

Well more experinces from people who have tried these items .. well be of great help..
i was hoping to achieve a rkw output of around 140kw...
I have installed 4499's,xr6t cat,2.5" carlton mufflers custom exhaust, stage 3 crow,cai dual inlet induction,special order double valve springs.. no head work has been done except for the bbm which i had de-burred and ported and polished so to speak...
I was hoping that the unichip would make my cam welcome to the rest of the family so too speak and push 140rwk....
Old 25-04-2006, 02:53 PM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds achievable, but I would say you will only get that result with a flash tune - an off the shelf tune will not take account of all the different mods you have done and how they BEST work together. Sure, a chip will be better than standard tune (or should be), but the Edit/Falsh tune actually changes the factory computer, not tricks it by intercepting signals and changing them so the factory computer thinks something is happening that isdn't (which is how the piggybacks work). A custom tuned chip would be nearly as good as the flash tune/edit, but from everything I have seen on AUs and BAs, the edit has always deleivered better increases in power, torque, and driveability. I don't have a chip or edit - but would love to get the edit done (just need funds)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:45 PM   #19
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Quote:
Well more experinces from people who have tried these items .. well be of great help..
i was hoping to achieve a rkw output of around 140kw...
I have installed 4499's,xr6t cat,2.5" carlton mufflers custom exhaust, stage 3 crow,cai dual inlet induction,special order double valve springs.. no head work has been done except for the bbm which i had de-burred and ported and polished so to speak...
I was hoping that the unichip would make my cam welcome to the rest of the family so too speak and push 140rwk....
Should be easy enough to do with thise mods. 140 is a good number and achievable but it gets harder from there especially if you want a daily driveable auto.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post