Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 16-09-2017, 07:49 PM   #31
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: headlamp 'restorer'. beware

G'day , My dear old AU ll had yellowing lights for a while. Made a phone call to Ford to get a price on a pair of genuine heady's for the ol' girl.. I love the old barge to bits but $560 .....whew.. The following Saturday after consulting You Tube and a local car restorer that I know pretty well , I got some liquid cutting compound and a couple of microfibre cloths and managed to get a good result.
About every three months I spend five minutes re doing them to keep them pretty decent..Just the same I'm loving reading about other methods and ways via this thread.. Cheers Rod..
Old 17-09-2017, 01:44 PM   #32
prydey
Rob

i have also restored EF falcon headlights successfully using sandpaper, starting quite coarse at around 500grit and working up to around 2000grit.

these days i keep a tube of maguiers scratch X on the shelf. the lights on my wife's focus get a bit of a yellow tinge from time to time and this works well at keeping them looking clear.
Old 17-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #33
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane5OO View Post
I think the OP is talking about an FG series I XR6?
just to be anal, technically there is no FG series 1, or mk1 or any other 1.

there is FG

and FG mk2.
Old 19-09-2017, 12:44 AM   #34
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think the problem may be that when a company sells a "kit" there is often an expectation that results are easy and automatic.

As many have explained, you can rejuvenate your headlights by polishing. ie by cutting back the damaged surface. You don't need a "kit" but you do need to understand what you're doing, be patient, take care, and use a lot of elbow grease.
Old 19-09-2017, 03:01 AM   #35
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pics I did for my build thread another forum

Original car headlights badly fluffed and used restore kit and a polisher and marine grade UV clear coat

Before

Looking at marked "original" headlights

After

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352]
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 19-09-2017, 07:08 AM   #36
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
Pics I did for my build thread another forum

Original car headlights badly fluffed and used restore kit and a polisher and marine grade UV clear coat

Before

Looking at marked "original" headlights

After

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD [MM .352]
You either need to stop embedding photobucket pics, or cough up their $400 per year fee.

Click the two "image" links from where I quoted you and the pics will open in a new window.
This user likes this post:
Old 19-09-2017, 07:47 AM   #37
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
You either need to stop embedding photobucket pics, or cough up their $400 per year fee.

Click the two "image" links from where I quoted you and the pics will open in a new window.
Oh well, missed the cut off and cant edit it nor remove.

But trust me, headlights look fantastic
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 21-09-2022, 12:35 PM   #38
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

[Link removed]

Last edited by PG2; 21-09-2022 at 02:29 PM.
Old 21-09-2022, 01:38 PM   #39
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dick, I smell a sales pitch, 4 year old thread, you pop up with this cough cough 'rave' as your first post.
Old 21-09-2022, 02:07 PM   #40
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Not selling anything mate! And if I was why would I put someone else's business on a forum! Do what you want, just thought I was helping!
Old 21-09-2022, 02:15 PM   #41
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Also, forums are as old as me on the 'interweb'! And I'd love you to come at me...you wouldn't be the one serving a life sentence...you're hilarious!
Old 21-09-2022, 02:21 PM   #42
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brisbloke View Post
Also, forums are as old as me on the 'interweb'! And I'd love you to come at me...you wouldn't be the one serving a life sentence...you're hilarious!
Then you will also know that moderators have big sticks and in AFF we don't tolerate these types of posts.

I'll leave the link up. The OP has stated that it is not his business. If it turns out that the member is connected with the business in any way the link will be removed and the member permanently banned.

EDIT: ... and with about 3 seconds of googling, it seems as though that Brisbloke is connected to the company in the link.

Brisbloke, I will give you the chance of a right of reply in this thread as you don't have PM access as yet. Until then your link is removed. Nice try...

Last edited by PG2; 21-09-2022 at 02:28 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2022, 02:33 PM   #43
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Do whatever you feel is right. I was just trying to help, it's pretty obvious!

Also, why wouldn't that post be allowed if it was to help people in choosing the right product or method? With new intel on good products? Or is this thread just to 'knock' products or market Turtle Wax which does not last or work anyhow?

Last edited by Brisbloke; 21-09-2022 at 02:41 PM. Reason: add on
Old 21-09-2022, 02:35 PM   #44
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Do whatever you feel is right. I was just trying to help, it's pretty obvious!
The question is very simple - are you connected to the company in the link or not? You said that it was not your business but I have information that indicates otherwise.

If you can clarify that it is not your business, I will happily put the link back up.

Seeing as you edited your post after I replied to it...

Quote:

Also, why wouldn't that post be allowed if it was to help people in choosing the right product or method? With new intel on good products? Or is this thread just to 'knock' products or market Turtle Wax which does not last or work anyhow?
People are not allowed to join this forum just promote their business and/or products. That would be unfair to sponsors of this forum who pay to promote their business to AFF members.

Now, I repeat my question, after you saying clearly that it was not your company, I now have information that says otherwise. Are you connected to the company or not?

Last edited by PG2; 21-09-2022 at 02:48 PM.
Old 21-09-2022, 02:46 PM   #45
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

It's not mine, but do what you want, there was no malicious intent! Didn't realise my life was going to be threatened!
Old 21-09-2022, 02:51 PM   #46
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
It's not mine, but do what you want, there was no malicious intent! Didn't realise my life was going to be threatened!
You life has not been threatened in any way.

I refer to a part of the internet that I have come across that states you are the entrepreneur of the company in the link. I won't say how I have come across this as it may give away your name.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:09 PM   #47
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

I refer to a part of the internet that I have come across that states you are the entrepreneur of the company in the link. I won't say how I have come across this as it may give away your name.
Not that I care, but this is a threat...what else do you get life in prison for?
''Dont p i s s off older people. At our age the term Life in Prison is not a deterrent''

Take the post down, it's a knowledgeable post. It's not my business, but if you feel as though it is unhelpful...remove it. Peace
Old 21-09-2022, 03:17 PM   #48
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post

On a side note:
Keep promoting American Corporations like Turtle Wax as mentioned in this thread. Delete Australian local companies, that makes sense to me. Read the website, there's more knowledge on that website than the whole thread combined.
Old 21-09-2022, 03:26 PM   #49
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not that I care, but this is a threat...what else do you get life in prison for?
''Dont p i s s off older people. At our age the term Life in Prison is not a deterrent''

Take the post down, it's a knowledgeable post. It's not my business, but if you feel as though it is unhelpful...remove it. Peace
Dude, what you quoted is a comment in that poster's signature, not something he posted at you. If you quote his actual post you will see that content is not included.

Thanks for the lol though - "Come at me". Think these days you are meant to threaten to "throw hands"
Old 21-09-2022, 03:29 PM   #50
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Dude, what you quoted is a comment in that poster's signature, not something he posted at you. If you quote his actual post you will see that content is not included.

Thanks for the lol though - "Come at me". Think these days you are meant to threaten to "throw hands"
Oh, ok...sorry get that!! haha
I literally thought it was a threat! Apologise to that bloke for me!! lol
Old 21-09-2022, 03:30 PM   #51
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

Oh, ok...sorry get that!! haha
I literally thought it was a threat! Apologies to that bloke for me!! lol
Old 21-09-2022, 04:52 PM   #52
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

If I want to promote a business I'd promote this one which is nationwide:

www.oemheadlightrestore.com.au

This is my business, not the local one anymore:

www.headlightrestore.com.au

We are all about sustainability for the environment. Headlight restoration kits are a gimmick that actually damage your headlights long term causing 'crazing' etc etc and the damaged headlight becomes landfill!

Why do you think Bosch and Hella and other headlight manufacturers don't release a quality clear coat which is applied from the factory? Because it's all about selling new headlights and making larger profits and not caring about microplastics in the ocean and inevitably in the fish you ingest.

I'm an industrial chemist and understand more about plastics and polycarbonate than the average Joe. I'm also an advocate for the environment. If you want to delete this post, go ahead, but recycling headlights using the correct method which lasts years is the only answer for a more sustainable future for everyone.

You are promoting snake oil (Turtle Wax) below which will inevitably put headlights in landfill!

Whoever reports this obviously doesn't realise the massive environmental impact such a large piece of plastic like headlights have on the ecosystem when disposed of.

Last edited by Brisbloke; 21-09-2022 at 04:53 PM. Reason: add on
Old 21-09-2022, 07:14 PM   #53
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

We are all about sustainability for the environment. Headlight restoration kits are a gimmick that actually damage your headlights long term causing 'crazing' etc etc and the damaged headlight becomes landfill!

Why do you think Bosch and Hella and other headlight manufacturers don't release a quality clear coat which is applied from the factory? Because it's all about selling new headlights and making larger profits and not caring about microplastics in the ocean and inevitably in the fish you ingest.

I'm an industrial chemist and understand more about plastics and polycarbonate than the average Joe. I'm also an advocate for the environment. If you want to delete this post, go ahead, but recycling headlights using the correct method which lasts years is the only answer for a more sustainable future for everyone.

You are promoting snake oil (Turtle Wax) below which will inevitably put headlights in landfill!

Whoever reports this obviously doesn't realise the massive environmental impact such a large piece of plastic like headlights have on the ecosystem when disposed of.
i polish my headlights with the beaded sweat of 1000 chicken farmers on a torn up toss of a flanellette shirt and fluff of a soggy hoodlining.
4 users like this post:
Old 21-09-2022, 07:47 PM   #54
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
i polish my headlights with the beaded sweat of 1000 chicken farmers on a torn up toss of a flanellette shirt and fluff of a soggy hoodlining.
You're forgetting to apply toothpaste to the flano and finishing with WD40 on the fluff from the soggy hood lining! You're a rookie!
Old 21-09-2022, 08:26 PM   #55
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Headlights will eventually see landfill one day but after reading this post it sounds like you are really promoting yourself.
Old 21-09-2022, 09:41 PM   #56
Brisbloke
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Headlights will eventually see landfill one day but after reading this post it sounds like you are really promoting yourself.
Ok. Where you aware that polycarbonate requires a hard coat over the lens for longevity to prevent the polycarbonate breaking down and developing crazing, becoming porous and eventually discolouring through the thickness of the lens? With all due respect, I'm guessing not.

They don't put a hard coat over the lens from the factory for fun...there is a reason. This is why your headlights look crusty when they start breaking down, it's the original factory hard coat degrading.

I'm not asking for your business, just informing and telling facts about polycarbonate. And to say everything goes in the bin eventually is insane. The longer something is recycled, means less waste. Please tell me you get that bit.
Closed Thread