Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 22-04-2006, 07:28 PM   #31
Paxton
Cobblers!

It has been said, and said, but remind us why you bought the GT? If I had one, I wouldn't be worried about it. Its a car for God's sake. If it gets a scratch, buy some Cut and Polish. A Stone chip is nothing. My Territory was a good car for all of ten minutes. It has chips in both the paint and the windscreen. It has 50,000 KMs on it, and it looks no worse for wear.

If it gets a dent - such is life. Its a car, not a loved one! Just remember that the Futura has tanks in the boot, and therefore can't hold as much as the GT can in terms of luggage. The GT is also safer, with ABS, EBD, and its a V8, so overtaking will be effortless. Also, the GT is a car that is designed for long distance driving. Hell, if I had one, I would be doing more long distance stuff myself.

Just ask yourself, how many Ks does the GT have on it, and how often does it get a great, long run like a Family Road Trip? I would say not often. Take the GT!
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:42 PM   #32
jason71
google is my friend

what happens if someone breaks into your garage and steals it while your away?
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #33
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
probably up for a flame here but after talking to the nieghbour who travels by company car up there regularly , he says take the el. he has scratches and dings all over his ba. he says expect stone chips on front bar and windscreen due to extensive road works . his mate came back from coffs harbour yesterday with 2 decent stone chips on the windscreen.
Then you've already answered your own question.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:49 PM   #34
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Take the EL Mate, Port Mac driveways to places are crap heights and angles, my std height AU XR8 bellyed up once down there, and i went on the wildest angle too !!!

Butt load of roadworks on the way, i travelled that road 2 weeks ago and copped 2 bullseyes on the windscreen and a few more stone chips on the front, not happy
Old 22-04-2006, 07:50 PM   #35
Gilesie
You gotta pay to play

All you have to do is ask yourself 1 simple question.
which car would you prefer to drive?. :eclipsee_

2003 Mazda Bravo (work truck)

1979 F100 Ambo
Gilesie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:51 PM   #36
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I agree with the "its a car drive it" crowd. But if you drive and it your gunna worry bout things like stone chips and not be comfortable when you leave it to go somewhere. Leave it at home so you can enjoy the holiday all the better. After all it is a holiday.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:52 PM   #37
cArSiK
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

take the GT , no doubt.

GT is safer , quiter , better for overtaking......just enjoy what you have!

who cares if you have to walk another 5 minutes to park the car away from harm? i do it all the time...

James
cArSiK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #38
pks54
Ford Power To The People

mate, stone chips only happen if you are driven to close behind other cars, so stay atleast 100 meters from the car in front of you....lol .... and another joke(dont let your wife hear this) you let your wife drive the car anyway, this in its self would cause me to worry more.

seriously, i have the same problem as you, not as bad now tho. i obviously wouldnt take it and park it down some dark ally in the middle of the night in sydney cbd. but you are going to the "port" you shouldnt have much dramas there.
i would definately take the gt as i love driving my 8 out on the open road.
pks54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 07:59 PM   #39
Scott

We must have similar taste in cars! I drive my GT-P every day (bout 600k's week) and my missus drives the Fairmo daily too (around 300k's a week). When we do anything on the weekend or holiday's, we use the GT-P. I'm not gonna spend money like that to leave her in the garage!
GT - Live it, Love it, Drive it.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 08:03 PM   #40
XR8 Uterous
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
GT - Live it, Love it, Drive it.
What he said.
XR8 Uterous is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 08:55 PM   #41
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Paxton]It has been said, and said, but remind us why you bought the GT? If I had one, I wouldn't be worried about it. Its a car for God's sake. If it gets a scratch, buy some Cut and Polish. A Stone chip is nothing. My Territory was a good car for all of ten minutes. It has chips in both the paint and the windscreen. It has 50,000 KMs on it, and it looks no worse for wear.

If it gets a dent - such is life. Its a car, not a loved one!

Just because its not a loved doesn't mean you shouldn't look after the thing. Second to the family home, the car is the most expensive asset you'll purchase so to me it makes sense that you look after it and try keep it in a decent condition. I'm one of those people that wants his car looking better than the day it rolled out of the factory so i really can't understand how people can show such a disrespect for their cars, and ultimately their hard earned money. Why take a $70K vehicle on a trip when you know full well that it'll be damaged in some way?? Leave it in the garage and enjoy your trip..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 09:00 PM   #42
chich
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=chich]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It has been said, and said, but remind us why you bought the GT? If I had one, I wouldn't be worried about it. Its a car for God's sake. If it gets a scratch, buy some Cut and Polish. A Stone chip is nothing. My Territory was a good car for all of ten minutes. It has chips in both the paint and the windscreen. It has 50,000 KMs on it, and it looks no worse for wear.

If it gets a dent - such is life. Its a car, not a loved one!
Just because its not a loved doesn't mean you shouldn't look after the thing. Second to the family home, the car is the most expensive asset you'll purchase so to me it makes sense that you look after it and try keep it in a decent condition. I'm one of those people that wants his car looking better than the day it rolled out of the factory so i really can't understand how people can show such a disrespect for their cars, and ultimately their hard earned money. Why take a $70K vehicle on a trip when you know full well that it'll be damaged in some way?? Leave it in the garage and enjoy your trip..
chich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 09:15 PM   #43
aumexican

We are here for a good time not a long time. :

You asked the question so you obviously want to take it.
What if something happens to you and you cannot drive it, you will regret it for-ever :
aumexican is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 11:05 PM   #44
Mrs Coyote
Phantom XR6

Take the EL. Was in Port Macquarie in January and the carparks at the shops and clubs are very small and everything seemed to always be busy. My Aunty lives there and says that it is always busy. We took the patrol because we had all 5 kids and glad we did. We got two door dints, one while at a shop and one while at the local club. Yes the Gt would be more comfortable but a babay is a baby and you need to look after her.
Mrs Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2006, 11:32 PM   #45
gtfpv
GT

Thanks for the advice guys, i agree with all of them but the ones who are saying take the el have reason to say it . like damage . so thanks guys. we normally fly when we take a holiday . and hire a car. the last time i drove to coffs harbour about 9 years ago we were in a brand new copmpany car (landrover ) it came home with a concrete rock embedded into the windscreen the size of 1/2 a brick . and a nice dent the size of a cricket ball on the bonnet where it bounced. lots of people have similar stories. i must admit the catologue of the place we are staying hasd a pic of the underground car park driveway and i thought wow the gt will bottom out there for sure so it is a coincidence that someone has mentioned this also. i look at it like this . if i go to melbourne or adelaide and drive i will take the GT OR FLY . but nsw coast its the EL. if my 2nd car was a datsun or xf falcon there would be no question it would bre the GT . but yeah i dont really think anyone here is wrong at what they are saying either so . i'l give myself an uppercut with one arm and a pat on the back with the other.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 12:44 AM   #46
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Take the GT, if you have to go out for dinner and are worried about parking it......grab a taxi.
Old 23-04-2006, 12:56 AM   #47
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

MMm, install a UHF.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2006, 08:54 AM   #48
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have the answer : , by all means bring the GT,yep I live in beautiful uptown PM : . When you get here park the GT on my front lawn and take my sons clapped out '89 Laser :eclipsee_ .No worries about car parks and door dings, safe drive up and back and not much fuel around town,just oil for said clapped out Laser. My green P son, my L plate daughter and myself of course will look after your GT VEEEERRRRRRY well : :hihi: