Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Needed: One-Off ECU Shipping to UK

I have a problematic body module, it’s Italian but an English company (ECU Testing) think they can likely fix it with lifetime warranty, no re-initialisation required. This saves me fees at the return side; no programming, retention of access codes, the radio works without hassle and mileage (high) is honest for a vehicle identity check.

With their T’s and C’s, comes this constraint:
Quote:
Please Note:
If you are sending a component for testing from outside the EU (European Union) we will not accept ANY package that incurs customs duty, please take this into account when declaring a value of goods for customs. Any parcel that incurs any import duty will be refused and returned to sender.
I feel that rules out Oz Post/Royal Mail as they aren’t going to tango with me if it gets pinged for import costs.

Has anyone here, more recent (post Brexit) experience with a similar situation, and have a carrier to recommend?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2021, 05:08 PM   #2
slowsnake
Banned

Default Re: Needed: One-Off ECU Shipping to UK

Why would posting a parcel to the UK be problematic?
Or is it a UK company operating within the EU, if so, why can't you send it to the UK company and let them ship it to the EU?
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2021, 05:15 PM   #3
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

They’ve also told me that post-Brexit, HMRC are getting more persnickety about incoming parcels, especially addressed to registered businesses.

I’m hopeful of not being docked VAT on the job or return freight, the repair is likely to be £195 ex-tax, plus carriage. So - not exactly a cheap fix.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2021, 05:50 PM   #4
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quick googling indicated there is forms for exemption for the purposes of repair.
Maybe it's the OPR (outward processing relief form)?
I don;t know which end has to complete it and I've got to rush out the door now, but look into it or maybe ask the business if they're familiar with it?
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2021, 08:23 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Can IM Group/Injectronics repair this in Melbourne? Might be worth sending it to Melbourne instead of Europe because you have a much higher chance of not losing it between Sydney and Melbourne rather than Australia and the UK.

http://injectronics.com.au/

They only deal through your local Burson or Repco, they don't deal with the public, Burson use Startrack or Toll to go interstate to them so it'll land relatively quickly in Hallam from Sydney.

I'd be very hesitant to send any control modules from your car overseas, very risky.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2021, 09:20 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Is that who the people in Moorabbin (PEC?) use? Their quote is north of $600.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154466048368

Plus freight to/from Melbourne is probably slower than Oz Post outbound to the UK and DHL back. :-/
Old 16-11-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Could be - they're the guru's of this sort of electronic witchcraft in the industry locally

Worth a call anyway I reckon, see if they're familiar with it and if they are, rock into your local Burson branch and ask them about core exchange on IM Group/Injectronics and see what they charge.

They'll likely ask for key reader, key, BCM and the ECM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-11-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
64fordomatic

I sent something to ecu testing late last year through auspost and it wasn’t an issue. You really shouldn’t have to pay duties as you’re sending it there for a service. (Not exporting it).
I’d use them again. They knew their stuff.
64fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2021, 11:39 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s quite positive, thanks.

I’ve also tonight sent an email to an NZ company, recommended by a forum member here. Something will come out of it all.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 16-11-2021 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Just to add some random comment in the reason box.
Old 17-11-2021, 12:37 AM   #10
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

These guys in Auburn NSW can fix ECU's also. Give them a call, have used them in the past (long time ago) and they were good to deal with. Just ask for the repair section as they have split into two companies, a repair section and a parts store.

https://bebco.com.au/

These guys used to repair, but not sure anymore:

https://automotivesuperstore.com.au/afi
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2021, 01:26 AM   #11
ozrunner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You should also consider that due to covid all forms of international parcel transport are in a stalled state with thousands of parcels in limbo and it maybe many many months before you goods even get to the UK let alone returned, if at all.

If it was me I would be searching within Oz for a fix even if it costs a tad more.
ozrunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2021, 09:07 AM   #12
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You need to confirm with the UK Border Force, that the goods are being returned to the UK for repair. If I remember correctly, you need to complete a “Outward Processing Relief” form, that will allow the goods to be imported free of VAT and Excise.

As far as carriers go, I’m using DHL twice monthly from the UK to Oz, and from the UK to US and Canada. It’s working well. I use an agent the the UK - Transglobal who have very good rates. Perhaps they can give you some help in exporting to the UK.

Otherwise, I’ve found that the Premium Services from Australia Post working well for export from OZ.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2021, 10:19 AM   #13
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozrunner View Post
You should also consider that due to covid all forms of international parcel transport are in a stalled state with thousands of parcels in limbo and it maybe many many months before you goods even get to the UK let alone returned, if at all.
That said I received a small toy in the mail from the UK, via Royal Mail, the other day that arrived quicker than most Express Post parcels between Queensland and Vic. Go figure.
arm79 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2021, 10:34 AM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Transglobal is looking like a decent strategy, £40-something one way but quick (2-3 days) and all boxes ticked. Had forgotten they didn’t just quote ex-UK, was using them a lot ten years ago for bumpers and other large car parts.

The NZ option responded promptly, said they would be working from first principles and therefore probably not the best bet (they agreed with my frivolous suggestion of arson, and failing that a flash cloning). This is similar to most of the Australian repair places, it’s going to be a long way from their bread-and-butter.
Old 17-11-2021, 09:18 PM   #15
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Another player on the market for your ECU repair is cooldrive. https://ishop.cooldrive.com.au/vehic...-repair-centre . Might be wort a phone call. You can always call injectronics in Hallam and see if they can help, They do have a repair your module service but you still pay for it at repco but send parts direct to Hallam. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post