Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM   #31
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Private9 you are only getting 350 - 400km out of a tank. I get the better part of 550 - 600km out a tank and its also a six and wagon (series II).
Mate, I'd love to know what the hell we're doing wrong then!!

Both my wife and I drive the car and we achieve the same sort of economy. We both drive very gently but do have different driving styles.

Most of the driving we do in the family car is short trip stuff around the suburbs, but we do maybe 1 or 2 80km trips a week in it.

The only time we got the economy to change was on a holiday, sitting on 100 for 3 hours each way with no stopping - we got about 550kms out of the one tank, which we thought was ok, but sounds like we could be doing alot better!!

The car is standard in every way, in tune and well looked after. It has 160000 kays on the clock now so I wonder if that has any affect?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2006, 10:44 PM   #32
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
Mate, I'd love to know what the hell we're doing wrong then!!

Both my wife and I drive the car and we achieve the same sort of economy. We both drive very gently but do have different driving styles.

Most of the driving we do in the family car is short trip stuff around the suburbs, but we do maybe 1 or 2 80km trips a week in it.

The only time we got the economy to change was on a holiday, sitting on 100 for 3 hours each way with no stopping - we got about 550kms out of the one tank, which we thought was ok, but sounds like we could be doing alot better!!

The car is standard in every way, in tune and well looked after. It has 160000 kays on the clock now so I wonder if that has any affect?
When was the last time the air filter, plugs and leads changed? On petrol, you should be getting better economy than that. You're probably a little heavy on the gas off from the lights, that really hacks at the economy.

If your car is in good tune, and you and the misses aren't leadfoots, then you could have a stuffed map sensor, or O2 sensor or need to reset the ECU, or (D) all of the above! LOL!

Just a few thoughts.

GK
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 09:20 AM   #33
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 012
If city / stop-start driving is what you do most, do yourself a favour and get an automatic. You will be thankful. Been there done that. Plus there's no difference in manual vs auto if it's city / stop-start driving is what you do most, and concerned about fuel consumption. The manual is only better fuel consumption wise on highway drving/long distances compared to the auto.

Have you driven a manual AU V8 in peak hour? Do this first before you decide on manual. Plus the manual seems to highlight the drivetrain backlash a lot more than the auto does. Very annoying problem that even BAII couldn't address. Yet to drive a BF manual.
Thats exactely why I went the auto, easy to drive in traffic.
Plus after a few beers the better half can drive me home as she wouldn't cope pushing the clutch with the manual.
You drive the auto like a manual anyway.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 10:06 AM   #34
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah had my days and fun with manuals too. As mentioned above too - if your having to stop /start in bad traffic all the time then nothing beats an auto ..but if your a full on spirited driver and love laying rubber then nothin beats a manual ..lol . lmao - this is no joke too -> i remember years back , after a few years of driving manuals that my left calf muscle was actually bigger than my right from pushing down the clutch all the time ..lmao .. true ! ..lol , but im a stick/thin man at the best of times , so it didn't take much to give my calf muscles a working out ..lol

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 12:34 PM   #35
jspec_sti

From experience, the AUIII XR8 isn't a "happy" car when it is bogged down in suburban traffic. By that I mean that it is like a wild animal tugging at the leash to be let go, and it can be quite amusing to watch the "DTE" reading go down by 5-10km when idling at a set of lights.

The majority of the time I use mine is for cruising backroads/freeways. For suburban driving I use my EF Fairmont "runaround" car.

Unfortunately it doesn't sound like the car for you if you are worried by fuel economy and expect mainly stop/start driving. Perhaps an XR6 may suit your requirements better?
jspec_sti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2006, 11:03 PM   #36
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
When was the last time the air filter, plugs and leads changed? On petrol, you should be getting better economy than that. You're probably a little heavy on the gas off from the lights, that really hacks at the economy.

If your car is in good tune, and you and the misses aren't leadfoots, then you could have a stuffed map sensor, or O2 sensor or need to reset the ECU, or (D) all of the above! LOL!

Just a few thoughts.

GK

Hmmm, was serviced about 10k ago and filter, plugs & leads look good. We both take off quite gently, car idles and runs very well - so it's a bit of a mystery!

Might try an 02 sensor at the next service, or might even attempt it myself!!

By the way, thanks for all the advice everyone, it's sounding more and more like an 8 just isn't for me at the moment, not while I'm working in the city anyway :

I don't really want an XR6 because I want something that is fairly quick and potential to do more. Before I get canned for that last remark, the Falcon 6 simply doesn't do it for me. I might have a look at the world of imports - sacrilege I know!
Old 11-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #37
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Hmmm, was serviced about 10k ago and filter, plugs & leads look good. We both take off quite gently, car idles and runs very well - so it's a bit of a mystery!

Might try an 02 sensor at the next service, or might even attempt it myself!!

By the way, thanks for all the advice everyone, it's sounding more and more like an 8 just isn't for me at the moment, not while I'm working in the city anyway :

I don't really want an XR6 because I want something that is fairly quick and potential to do more. Before I get canned for that last remark, the Falcon 6 simply doesn't do it for me. I might have a look at the world of imports - sacrilege I know!
Oh dear! :

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #38
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Ford are currently doing free computer upgrades for AUI-III claiming a bit more power and better economy. You might want to explore that avenue as well.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:44 PM   #39
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Around the town driving my AUII XR8 got about 550Km a tank in Economy mode gets about 400Km now in Performance mode all the time...

The AUII/AUIII 220Kw XR8 is a great car, handles great, sounds good for a Stocker, stands out from the crowd.

Go for it mate, the Windsor is calling...
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #40
SIKXR8220

Have just gone through my first tank of fuel in my AUII XR8 and after all the joy rides with mates and so on got 580k out of the tank. I was stoked it used a lot less than i thought it would.
SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2006, 09:56 PM   #41
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKXR8220
Have just gone through my first tank of fuel in my AUII XR8 and after all the joy rides with mates and so on got 580k out of the tank. I was stoked it used a lot less than i thought it would.
Damn that is good for an 8!
Old 12-04-2006, 09:57 PM   #42
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Ford are currently doing free computer upgrades for AUI-III claiming a bit more power and better economy. You might want to explore that avenue as well.
Thanks Dark Horse, will definitely look into that! From the sounds of things, and given what some of these guys are getting out of XR8's something's definitely not right with our 6!!!
Old 13-04-2006, 07:46 PM   #43
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Darky, where did you hear this info?

When you say "computer upgrades", what are you talking about specifically? Is it a new map, or software upgrade? Is this for I6 as well as V8?

A few blokes have found that Ford in the routine servicing of their vehicle upgraded the software and their car came back worse! I remember a few blokes talking about it here a while back.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-04-2006, 07:55 PM   #44
SIKXR8220

I have been strongly advised by 3 or 4 mechanics to not take my car to Ford to have the computer upgraded as it has already been re-mapped for more power and better economy and if i take it there it will stuff it up.
SIKXR8220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2006, 08:15 PM   #45
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIKXR8220
I have been strongly advised by 3 or 4 mechanics to not take my car to Ford to have the computer upgraded as it has already been re-mapped for more power and better economy and if i take it there it will stuff it up.
Yep, it's exactly those sorts of comments that were being discussed here a while ago.

I guess my cars would be ok, only mod on the SR is a K&N and Tickford snorkel.

The Futura has LPG and I wonder how that'd go?

It could work a treat.

One thing I was wondering though, this upgrade, does it come for free when your car is in for a Ford routine service, or can you put your car in just for the upgrade for nicks? Somehow I doubt it!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 13-04-2006, 10:13 PM   #46
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

I only got wind of it through Macarthur Ford advertising. You book your car in and get it done - 10 min job tops. It is basically software upgrades. Doesn't specify which engines.

I understand that in a few of our scenarios we'd be better off NOT getting it done, especially those that are running aftermarket chips and the like. However in private9's case, it can't hurt seeing there is definitely a problem somewhere.
Old 13-04-2006, 10:57 PM   #47
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
I only got wind of it through Macarthur Ford advertising. You book your car in and get it done - 10 min job tops. It is basically software upgrades. Doesn't specify which engines.
I might have to ring a local Ford dealer and ask about this. Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
I understand that in a few of our scenarios we'd be better off NOT getting it done, especially those that are running aftermarket chips and the like. However in private9's case, it can't hurt seeing there is definitely a problem somewhere.
I agree with you on this, particularly if his car is stock.

GK

Now gone!
On LPG