Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-03-2006, 11:28 AM   #1
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Unhappy Glove box key missing!

Glove box key – I need to lock up my glove box but I didn’t get a key from the previous owner. I took the lock module to a locksmith but apparently it’s an enclosed lock with no serial. I got a quote from Ford for $50 for the new module, and checking wreckers, but does anyone know any other way I can lock this b*stard on the cheap?

Old 24-03-2006, 11:38 AM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Can't help ya sorry , but i don't know why you need to lock it so badlly ( unless your doors dont lock either ) , because if a theif gets in there they will have it open in seconds with a screwdriver locked or not ! . :( . sad but true

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-03-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
Can't help ya sorry , but i don't know why you need to lock it so badlly ( unless your doors dont lock either ) , because if a theif gets in there they will have it open in seconds with a screwdriver locked or not ! . :( . sad but true
Well I'm sure as sh*t not going to make it easy for em!!
Old 24-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #4
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle-F
Well I'm sure as sh*t not going to make it easy for em!!

Well if a locked car is easy for them to get into , then do you think a locked glovebox is gonna be any harder ! .. sorry just stiring the sh1te pot ..lol ;) ... I hear ya though ;) , i hate theives :

Old 25-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #5
XR6Stu

personally, id let it be easy for them, rather than destroy your glove box...
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 11:20 AM   #6
autickfordfairmont
Tickford Equiped

the only reason for ever locking your glove box is if you take it somewhere for repairs or to have something done and you dont trust em 100%. I dont have a key for mine and it doesnt worry me at all, if someone breaks into your car and finds it locked, there gonna think somethings in there and do whatever it takes to get it opened and probably trash you dash at the same time. Much better to just take out what you dont want left in there, or just leave it unlocked, as others said, if they get in a locked car, they will get into that.

As i said, only time it would be handy is if you left it to get something done and wanted to lock something in there, but its a glovebox, just take out whatever it is an dnot worry about it.
TS50 Front Bar with Fog lights, TS50 Rear Bar. Injected LPG System,
autickfordfairmont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2006, 01:48 PM   #7
Ray
FORD POWER!!

I never got a Key with mine, And it hasn't really been a concern, As I don't really keep anything in there anyways, cept for the Owners Manual/Log Books, and the lock nut for my alloys.

my center console, however, is full of crap. gotta clean it out someday... hmmm..

Soon to come - XR rear wing, cat back exhaust - maybe a body Kit or a lowering job
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #8
ladderman
Starter Motor

You might be able to get a locksmith to make a key for it.
I had a similar problem with no roof rack keys when I bought my wagon from auction.
ladderman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #9
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

already went to the smithy - no luck. ford seal the lock to keep their hold on the parts market.

basically i just want to lock a detachable stereo face in the glock box. i figure if anyone breaks into it the alarm will go off and i don't expect there'll be enough time to bust the glove box open....i assume thieves don't usually disable alarms?
Old 30-03-2006, 08:57 PM   #10
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

stuff the face of ya stereo in the back of either of ya front seat ( the melways holders ) , not usually many people think to check there , im pretty sure your glovebox would be busted open before those places are checked , most people forget all about them unless you use them or sit in the back seat ;) .. or .... wouldnt suprise me , maybe , just maybe - i wouldnt be suprised if there is only like 7 to 9 different style shape keys for the glovebox , like the old XD's , XE's etc etc , there was only a few different shaped keys for the doors and ignitions !! /.. being a glovebox i woudlnt be suprised at all if maybe another glovebox key will work , maybe goto a wreckers and ask them to give you all ther AU glovebox keys to test, preferably in the same series as your car , might be worth a shot ..gl

Old 31-03-2006, 08:51 PM   #11
XT221
Blue Blooded

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR6-VCT-2000
i wouldnt be suprised if there is only like 7 to 9 different style shape keys for the glovebox , like the old XD's , XE's etc etc , there was only a few different shaped keys for the doors and ignitions !! /.. being a glovebox i woudlnt be suprised at all if maybe another glovebox key will work , maybe goto a wreckers and ask them to give you all ther AU glovebox keys to test, preferably in the same series as your car , might be worth a shot ..gl
FWIW ...No there isnt just 7 to 9 different keys ,nor was there for the XD , XE's & there's a few hundred key codes for glove boxes, doors and ignitions. Take it to a decent locksmith as they are'nt hard to make keys for you dont even need to diassemble the thing ,but you will be looking at $30 or so .If its $50 from Ford and you really want to lock it up just buy a new one...........And yes i know because Im a Locksmith!
XT221 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #12
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU302
FWIW ...No there isnt just 7 to 9 different keys ,nor was there for the XD , XE's
Maybe so , but the key patterns couldn't of been that much different to make a difference , and my ignition barrel was pretty new back when i had the problem too ( so wasn't a worn ignition ) - but i lost my keys years ago and had to start it with a dipstick after fiddling for a while , got it goin , took it to ford and they came out with a keyring with about 9 keys on it saying" one of these will get it goin !" , he went through them and about the 5th key he tried worked np, bought it of them too. Maybe it was just the key patterns back then that was lacking ??